Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The robots in Chopping Mall are a cuter horror monster than mogwai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. Their design is basically "Honda Ch-150 Scooter but A Robot and Lasers ". So delightfully 80s

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
9. Butterfly Kisses 2018, streaming on Prime

A mockumentary about a documentary that's actually a found footage horror movie. It's also a meta commentary on found footage in general. At its core it's a story about a young film crew investigating a local legend a la The Blair Witch Project, the director of which appears in the movie playing himself. The mockumentary approach really makes the concept feel fresh though.

4/5

10. The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, aka Don't Open the Window, 1974, streaming on Prime

I had assumed this was a UK movie but as I was watching it became obvious it's from Italy. Spain and Italy apparently. An earlyish zombie movie that swings from gothic to gorey in a few minutes. Some of the effects are charmingly bad, particularly the part where an extremely looking fake breast gets ripped off by a zombie. The first half of the movie is a pretty slow paced spooky-mystery, but I like those. I'm not sure why the American guy playing the police inspector thought using that terrible Irish accent was a good idea, especially because the movie obviously doesn't take place in Ireland.

3.5/5

11. The Wolfman 2010, streaming on HBO

Maybe it's trying too hard to capture the retro Wolfman feeling with too much of a slick high-budget look. It ends up feeling a bit like a superhero movie, though it doesn't exactly shy away from gore. The sped up wolfman on wolfman fight scene is just silly looking.

2.5/5

1. Day of the Animals | 2. The Snarling | 3. Nekromantik | 4. Wolfcop | 5. Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things | 6. Contamination | 7. Suspiria (2018) | 8. Monster Party | 9. Butterfly Kisses | 10. The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue | 11. The Wolfman (2010)

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not going to rewatch it for the challenge, but I'd also rec Butterfly Kisses. The layers are pretty fresh, and unlike a lot of random FF stuff this one has a very clear thing-that-it-is-about.

12.) Insidious: Chapter 3

2015, first watch, Amazon rental

Lin Shaye's medium returns in a prequel feature of a gribbly ghost intent on traumatizing a grieving high schooler.

I've got no beef with this silly franchise - even if we're strictly according to formula here. Grieving people confront suicide and also malevolent ghosts. Jump scares are allotted out whenever the audience's attention flags. The "house flavor" of the original is a bit lacking here (less attention to minute texture details) but the aesthetic is consistent. I'm actually pretty pleased with the pseudo-spiritualist "mythology" behind the psychic plane of the Insidious franchise - it's a good seasoning and is reminiscent of some of its predecessors from the 70s and 80s.

What hampers 3 Fast 3 Insidious is its constant need to remind you of its place in the franchise. A tighter story would have cut the bride material and let the two leads have more screen time together to talk about loss. The whole subplot only exists to explain why things are as they are in other movies, and that's never a good use of your screen time.

If you call out to one of the dead, all of them can hear you.

13.) HISSS

2010, first watch, Netflix, Hindi

David Lynch's daughter directs an...adventure horror romance? about a vengeful snake goddess. Mallika Sherawat sensuously tongues a rubber snake. If that's what you're into, you degenerate.

Shrecknet called this one and they were right. A disjointed assemblage of scenes, about a dozen rubber snakes, and eventually our detective learns the truth of the matter when...well, his dead mother-in-law tells him. Apparently there's a documentary about the difficult process Jennifer Lynch went through making this film in a foreign country. Which, well, I'm not certain I'd trust it (this film would be miles better if it was more Indian, so if anything I think the issue's the other way around), but also there is very little excuse for not having any of your lead characters share a real scene, and no amount of troubled filming will explain that decision.

(We weren't clear initially on whether Vikram's mother-in-law had some form of dementia or was just really devoted to a joke. I think the movie's a lot better if you assume she's just roasting him mercilessly.)

I may have brain cancer but I can still piss like a race horse.

Watched: 1.) Jason X 2.) Tumbbad* 3.) Child's Play 4.) Suspiria (2018) 5.) 3 A.M.* 6.) 465* 7.) Dora* 8.) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1977) 9.) Noroi: The Curse* 10.) Escape from Tomorrow 11.) Airaa* 12.) Insidious Chapter 3 13.) HISSS* [9 first watches, 7 foreign] [Goal: 13+ movies, 7+ firsts, 4+ foreign.]

Goals met!

To summarize: Watch horror movies with music videos inside them, you cowards.

Recommended
Tumbbad
Child's Play
Suspiria 2018
Dora
Noroi

Skippable
3 A.M.
Escape from Tomorrow
Hisssssss

Not Applicable
Jason X

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Nope, he's gotta suffer through Part 9.

Not part of my challenge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

Not part of my challenge.

Lucky.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
10. Q - The Winged Serpent dir. Larry Cohen (1982)

God I love that big loving bird. A great cast, Moriarty is really next level dumb rear end loser in this and Carradine is perfectly sick of his poo poo within minutes of meeting him. The effects are all fun as hell and it's all around just a blast. God Told Me Too is still my favorite of the Cohen fims I've seen because of how perfectly that one unfolds, this one felt a little slack in the middle and I don't think the murder side of the plot is as cleanly incorporated as it is in GTMT, but so far he's 3/3 on really great, bonkers movies.

3.5 big omelettes out of 5.

Watched: 1. Noroi 4/5, 2. Mandy 3.5/5, 3. The Stuff 4/5, 4. Gozu 3.5/5, 5. Dark Water 3/5 6. Hellraiser 3.5/5, 7. God Told Me To 4/5, 8. The Others 4/5, 9. Dead Birds 3/5, 10. Q 3.5/5

Scones are Good fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 22, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's basically a really long movie, so I'm counting it

Today I watched [/b]Stranger Things[/b]. I wasn't planning to. I planned to just watch a couple episodes in the morning but then it turned into my entire Sunday. Which is probably all the review you really need.

It's a really good show, all the actors are great, the way it progresses with different characters each having hold of a different part of the mystery and investigating from there is really compelling. I know Stranger Things was really well received so I'm sure I'm not saying anything new. But I do have two problems with it

First off, why did neither of the characters who knew about the tree portal ever mention it? That would've made the whole conclusion a lot simpler, removed a lot of complications if they had ever said, "Oh yeah, there's a portal in a tree".

Secondly, the ending. Eleven sacrificing herself was garbage. Dumb, not built to, not paying anything off, just being mean to a character for no reason. Sorry Eleven, you're lot in life is to suffer, so sayeth the Duffler Brothers. Miss me with that Alien 3 bullshit. Completely soured the ending for me.

So, yeah, big problem with the ending but I watched 8 hours of the show in a single day to get to that point.

Also, all of those people are gonna get murdered by the CIA. I assume that's what the second season is about, just one by one characters shooting themselves twice in the back of the head and leaving suicide notes where they misspell their own names.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

11. Jason Goes To Hell (Netflix)

The conversation in the thread today inspired me to finally watch the only Voorhees related movie I hadn’t seen.

I don’t know if it was the low expectations built up from years of hearing how terrible this movie was, but I really didn’t hate it as much as I was expecting. I would rather watch this than 3, any time. If they replaced Jason with a new killer, named it something else, and kept the same premise it might have been half decent.

Unfortunately, they named it Jason goes to Hell which makes one think they’re going to get to see Jason Voorhees stalking about fire and brimstone and loving around with Satan. Instead we get a bunch of nobodies possessed by Jason acting vaguely like Jason and doing the disgusting tongue thing from Howard the Duck. Never do we actually get to see Jason in Hell. Also, audiences probably loved the Freddy hand at the end but I wasn’t feeling it.

There were some cool kills and a half baked idea of a decent movie in here but the execution was poop and the ham fisted forcing of voorhees lore put that poop in the microwave. All that said, I’m glad I filled this vacant space in my viewing history. 2/5

TheBizzness fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 20, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, gently caress poo poo piss, my excuse for skipping Jason Goes to Hell was that it's not on the 8-movie Blu-ray set and wasn't streaming anywhere.

gently caress

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s only 87 minutes, thankfully, so not much of a time investment.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jason Goes to Hell is too weird to be the worst in the franchise but it's down there.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Angst
Available on Shudder

Remarkable, stripped down, and profoundly disturbing depiction of a killing spree in Austria. The camera work here is some of the most incredible I've ever seen, tracking and pivoting wildly in a way that forces us into the killer's headspace while simultaneously somehow giving us a god's eye view of the action. In a genre where serial killers are often either cunning masterminds or unstoppable brutes, I admire the film's honesty about its subject matter. While killer's detached voiceover suggests planning and purpose, the performance and camerawork combine to create the impression of a small, panicked individual, scampering and lashing out on animalistic urges. While the film contains one notable sustained scene of violence, most of its horror is derived from a sense of powerlessness affecting victim and killer alike. While I put off watching this for years for obvious reasons, I'm glad (?) I finally got to it.

5/5, but doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Good Manners
available on Kanopy

In Brazil, a housekeeper begins working for a pampered pregnant woman, and begins to suspect that the child may be more than it seems...

I kind of hate to even write this one up in the thread as it's best watched Audition style, but I think it deserves the attention. The first half of this sets up some honestly quite effective class-conscious melodrama, complete with flourishes such as matte paintings and a swooning color palette. As it goes on, this gets incorporated into a Del Toro-style gothic fable, with plenty of genuine surprise. Not every choice works, and it's far too long at over two hours, but if you're interested in slow-burn, character centric horror, I'd give this one a look.

4/5

Currently: 7/13

Countries "visited": China, Italy, Norway, Japan, Argentina, Austria, Brazil

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
16. The Bloodstained Butterfly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3JP9_wn2yY
Girl is murdered, the perpetrator caught and, due to overwhelming evidence, sentenced. Yet murders continue...
Huh, sometimes you think you'll see a giallo and then you get a well made, serious police procedural without any sleaze and you're wondering whether you should recommend that movie to your normal friends and not the weirdo gorehounds. Very classy theme, nice editing and camerawork, in great quality on Prime. The end of the movie thanks the local forensic police unit for their cooperation and it really shows as the evidence is presented during the trial - I'm a layperson but I'd say that was one of the most down to earth depiction of police work I've seen. The ending is suitably dramatic, with the director showing off his spaghetti western chops.

I''ll still count it for this challenge, I met my quota already, you can't tell me what to do!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

16. Ganja & Hess (1973)
(Shudder)

An excellent, smart, and thoughtful film about addiction and assimilation. And vampires. On the Vampire-0-Meter it's much closer to Only Lovers Left Alive than Dracula. Like many of the best vampire movies, the vampirism acts as a metaphor, and the focus is on the characters and dialogue and not action or violence (although there is a little of that). Duane Jones is great, I think this is the first thing I've seen him in beyond Night of the Living Dead. The pace is too slow I think and it ends up feeling really long.

If a slowly-paced '70s vampire art film sounds good to you, I definitely recommend this.

17. Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019)
(Shudder)

Ok so not technically a horror film, but documentaries about horror count as far as I'm concerned.

This was really good. Lots of interesting history that I was not aware of, and even the parts on films I am very familiar with were was still really interesting to hear the perspective of black filmmakers and film scholars. Several big names like Jordan Peele, Tony Todd, and Keith David. I've got several new films on my watchlist that I was not familiar with before. Some of the guests are less interesting than others - I'd prefer to listen to Robin Means Coleman (who wrote the book on which this documentary is based) talk over Rachel True any day - but it's still good to hear stories and insight from everyone. Recommended to anyone interested in horror film.

Total: 17
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House | The House that Dripped Blood | Phenomena | Brain Damage | Demons | Demons 2 | Wolfcop | Suddenly in the Dark | Pieces | Candyman | Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh | Ganja & Hess | Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Nest(Prime)

A few years ago I bumbled into a Hollismason stream of The Nesting and was heartbroken that the movie wasn't about killer bugs. Well, the reason for my confusion was this movie, which I guess I'd seen the poster for many times but never actually got around to watching.

Well, I was all ready to say that this movie was completely worthless and to just not bother with it at all.....but it really does go pretty bonkers in the last 20-30 minutes. I'm hesitant to say that it made up for the first hour+ being boring as hell, and maybe it didn't, but as someone who loves creature effects the finale of this movie is something I'm glad I saw at least once.

Bad Taste(Prime)

It's always interesting to go back and see how a huge industry defining talent got his start, and certainly when you watch this film there's no mistaking that it's Peter Jackson through and through. It's amazing to look at this movie and realize that Jackson's ambition was 100% there even when he had almost no resources. I mean, the things he tried to get on screen here are way above what any reasonable person would attempt with the budget he had, and yea not everything works perfectly but its not hard to understand why he was able to find funding for his work after this. The potential is so obviously there. He made this for $25,000(!) and then after that he was off and running with budgets that were in the millions, for the most part(Even Meet the Feebles has a budget of close to a million).

I fell behind the pace a bit, so if I'm going to reach my goal of 25 movies I've got 11 to watch in 11 days. Shouldn't be a problem.

WATCHED: 1. Evil Bong 2. Let's Scare Jessica to Death 3. Mom and Dad 4. Train to Busan 5. Full Moon High 6. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark 7. It's Alive 8. King Cohen 9. Angel Heart 10. Forbidden World 11. Terrorvision 12. Noroi: The Curse 13. The Nest 14. Bad Taste

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 20, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

The Nest(Prime)

A few years ago I bumbled into a Hollismason stream of The Nesting and was heartbroken that the movie wasn't about killer bugs. Well, the reason for my confusion was this movie, which I guess I'd seen the poster for many times but never actually got around to watching.

Well, I was all ready to say that this movie was completely worthless and to just not bother with it at all.....but it really does go pretty bonkers in the last 20-30 minutes. I'm hesitant to say that it made up for the first hour+ being boring as hell, and maybe it didn't, but as someone who loves creature effects the finale of this movie is something I'm glad I saw at least once.

I've lost count how many times I've picked They Nest while I was half thinking it was The Nest.

For the most part it does follow the book okay. I'm not too keen on the animal deaths in it, especially that poor kitty. With that said though, I did snort-smirk at the cat/roach hybrid grooming his antennae like a cat would. Terry Treas does a pretty good job playing the amoral rear end in a top hat scientist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've lost count how many times I've picked They Nest while I was half thinking it was The Nest.

For the most part it does follow the book okay. I'm not too keen on the animal deaths in it, especially that poor kitty. With that said though, I did snort-smirk at the cat/roach hybrid grooming his antennae like a cat would. Terry Treas does a pretty good job playing the amoral rear end in a top hat scientist.

You know what, I'm really glad you mentioned the cat because I totally meant to include a warning about that. There is a scene where a cat is killed, and that's whatever, some people would understandably not want to watch that. BUT even worse, it appeared as though the cat may have been kinda abused during the scene because it looked to me like they basically put it in a cage and then threw a bunch of red paint on it and the cat seemed really freaked out and uncomfortable.

Definitely something people should know before watching.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

You know what, I'm really glad you mentioned the cat because I totally meant to include a warning about that. There is a scene where a cat is killed, and that's whatever, some people would understandably not want to watch that. BUT even worse, it appeared as though the cat may have been kinda abused during the scene because it looked to me like they basically put it in a cage and then threw a bunch of red paint on it and the cat seemed really freaked out and uncomfortable.

Definitely something people should know before watching.

There is definitely something off with the cat's death in the cage. What I'm about to say's going to sound crazy, but since I do most of my watching on a laptop, my cats will on occasion pay some attention to what I'm watching when they're on the desk. Last time I watched The Nest, they were both curled up asleep on a chair and when the cat in the cage yowled, they both snapped to full awake, wide eyed, ears alert. Only other time they've reacted like that was when I was binge watching All Creatures Great and Small and they were trying to do an examination on the semi-feral Boris who was yowling like he was possessed. So I do think there was something shifty going on to get that cat's reaction in The Nest.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Inside aka À l'intérieur
dir. Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury (2007)

#100 on Slant's Top 100 Horror

There are some slight spoilers for Martyrs in this review.

By the time we are a third of the way through the film, every visible surface is covered in blood. Oddly, the gratuitous hyper-violence on display felt more melodramatic than disturbing. It felt like the gore special effect equivalent of over-acting. It's a big swing and a miss.

When I mentioned in the horror thread that I was watching this movie, there were vocal enthusiasts who say this is their favorite French Extreme horror movies. Almost all of them compared it favorably to Martyrs, which some flat out hated. That's interesting, because Martyrs (as I've mentioned before), does so much to make the viewer suffer. The plotting purposefully provides horrific disturbing moments only to reveal after the fact the context of what we're seeing (which would soften the violence, had we known). The editing is disturbing. The whole concept of suffering to reach enlightenment, as unpleasant as it is, is executed through the film's plotting and story-telling, while still providing a modern exploration of Stoicism.

Inside, at it's core, though, it's a simple revenge tale. "You can't have what you (inadvertently) took away from me." It's a basic premise, but one that doesn't really serve any of the violence that exists in the film. Our main character suffers. Our villain suffers. Everyone around them is caught in their wake of destruction. There isn't really a pay-off to anything. There's no feeling of cosmic unfairness, or the selfishness of revenge, or any ideas of hunter and hunted being similar. I shouldn't have been giggling at the final shocking moments of the film, but what else was there to do? The level of nihilism and cruelty becomes self-parody before a half-hour in (specifically with the mom getting the needle in the neck; great shot, for sure, but it was easy to see coming, felt unearned, and we had to move on immediately). It's probably my broken brain, but it felt like someone trying to make Dead Alive's final act completely seriously.

Ultimately, I feel like this doesn't justify the film's mean-streak and suffering. While it's gore effects are excellent, the entire effort comes off as empty, try-hard, and melodramatic. It just feels like the film shows it's sharp teeth before it bites, but then reveals the jaws are so weak they can't even break the skin. I don't really find the home invasion aspect frightening. So many characters are incompetent that their actions kills suspense. In trying to derive a larger intent with the film--"Everyone suffers the cruelty of life", "Revenge is Selfish and Bad", "Actions Have Consequence",--I can't find anything that I find interesting or justifies the film.

Soft recommendation for fans of gore, French New Extreme, Revenge Tales.

I'll probably never revisit this one.

Total: 5
New: The Vanishing, Inside
Rewatch: Final Destination 1-3

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 20, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have five movies left to finish out the Slant Top 100 Horror flicks, and I've fallen asleep half-way through two of them. And the NBA Finals aren't helping me.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Weekend catch-up time, Chapter 2.

#7. The Stuff (Shudder via Joe Bob Briggs) - :ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

So, I'm torn here... on the one hand, I like The Stuff. I think it and I are operating on a similar wavelength, and I think Larry Cohen gets some of the simple pleasures of goofy horror propwork and low budget special effects. On the other, I can't really disagree with any of the problems that Joe Bob brought up throughout, like how the rules of the Stuff keep changing and that Cohen didn't seem to have as coherent an idea to build around, or that his secondary characters this time seemed really half-baked. I also noticed more this time that the editing in this movie is fairly shoddy at times, not just in a "hiding a bad effect way" but in a "how did this character get here?" kind of way.

This movie, anytime I see it, does drive me out to get ice cream from the Dairy Queen down the block, so I don't know whether to gift it an extra half-point or deduct from it (like my diet would prefer I do).

#8. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (Shudder) - :ghost::ghost:/5

So I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the Hellraiser franchise, and even I can tell that this movie was a blow to that legacy. I don't get how Pinhead is expected to carry an entire film - as a character, he works best as an enabler, and since he's decidedly hands-off as a character, he can only be a threat if he does something like the music club massacre scene, where he stands around laughing while hook chains appear from nowhere. Which, I guess points for gross skin peeling makeup work, but that gets repetitive real quick.

Also, why are the people in this movie who get straight-up killed coming back as cenobites? I didn't think the cenobites were like vampires or werewolves. Like, that one guy got decapitated, how is he back? And man, why did these cenobites suck so hard? Camera Eye Man, CD Face, Weird Pumping Thing Through Head Guy, Cigarette Burns OUCH Girl... none of these were scary or as interesting as Pinhead. I felt his cultural cachet get diminished every moment these worthless chucklefucks were on screen.

#9. Jaws 3 (Starz) - :ghost:/5

I mean, say what you will about Jaws: The Revenge, at least that movie's baffling weirdness makes it a semi-enjoyable bad movie. Jaws 3(D) is just a plain old regular bad movie. There's precious little "shark eating things" action in here, and the one major character death (Snooty British Shark Hunter, so you know he's the bad guy) is ruined by a bizarre choice to do a "inside the shark throat" cam shot. The rest of it is dull and boring, and I now I actively want to boycott Sea World forever.

Also, they don't stream it in 3D, and the 2D down-conversion is weak - there's a lot of shots where the focus is way too soft and a lot of the 3D shots end up being really badly composed when the extra planes are removed. There was little reason to watch this movie with stuff coming atcha, there's basically no reason to watch it without.

Watched so far: The Sacrament, The Frighteners, Land of the Dead, Contamination, Rogue, Prevenge, The Stuff, Hellraiser III, Jaws 3

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I have five movies left to finish out the Slant Top 100 Horror flicks, and I've fallen asleep half-way through two of them. And the NBA Finals aren't helping me.

Yea the multiple NBA series going on at once plus a weekend fishing trip put me behind. But this week there's really only a few relevant NBA games to watch(the West is basically decided) so I'm expecting to make up some ground.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Do you like British boobs? If so, The Vampire Lovers is for you.

Ambiguously foreign sexy vampire wants to drink blood, but apparently gay vampires can only drink gay blood and since there were no lesbians in Victorian England she's gotta turn the girls gay first.

So yeah, tons of cleavage, plenty of boobs, the occasional erotic vampire bite, Peter Cushing. It's not amazing, not bad, the lesbian part is pretty clearly just for more boob value. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half but I don't think I'd ever recommend it, unless someone was specifically looking for British boobs.

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, The Shining, Tales From The Darkside The Movie, The Alphabet Killer, Ghost Ship, Delivery: The Beast Within, Pulse, The Lure, Stranger Things, The Vampire Lovers

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the multiple NBA series going on at once plus a weekend fishing trip put me behind. But this week there's really only a few relevant NBA games to watch(the West is basically decided) so I'm expecting to make up some ground.

You wanna talk about gross and scary! How about those Bucks in Game 3 against the Raptors, amIright?

...I’ll see myself out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

You wanna talk about gross and scary! How about those Bucks in Game 3 against the Raptors, amIright?

...I’ll see myself out.

Also I'm pretty sure that wasn't actually Damian Lillard in Game 3 of the West Finals, it was a pod person who still hasn't quite learned how to play basketball yet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NBA, MLB, and a loved one's surgery had me completely distracted for the last week. Thankfully my loved one is home and seems to be ok so I'm gonna try and get back into the groove tonight.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m not doing the contest but yeah I’m lucky to squeeze in one or two movies a week during playoff season because i watch every game, at least on replay

Franchescanado posted:

Which two

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Repulsion
Trouble Every Day

Both are quieter slower movies, and I started them too late, too un-sober.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Repulsion
Trouble Every Day

Both are quieter slower movies, and I started them too late, too un-sober.

Oh geez, two of my favorites

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Oh geez, two of my favorites

I liked both of them! I just fell asleep half-way through.

Well, Trouble Every Day was, admittedly, a little confusing. I hadn't seen how the narratives merged, if they do.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

9. Demonic (2015)
Netflix

I decided to watch more recent movies for the rest of the month, and this was something a friend had recommended.

The police investigation storyline lets Demonic jump back and forth between found footage and current events in a way that worked well, but I could have done without the wobbly shots during some of the scenes John was remembering. I also thought Brian’s behavior was lovely enough that it was hard to believe anyone would include him on a ghost hunt road trip in the first place. Was he funding Ghost Club and I just missed that part? As far as I could tell, his only specialties were bossing people around, taunting his ex's new boyfriend, and being a convenient suspect.

Despite a few stylistic quibbles and the mere existence of Brian, I was still enjoying it. Unfortunately they went for a rushed, shocker ending that undercut the cool parts badly enough to make the whole thing forgettable. This is absolutely the kind of movie I'll stumble across in two years and watch twenty minutes of before remembering that I've seen it.

Watched: 1. Cast A Deadly Spell (1991) 2. The Other (1972) 3. Bloody Birthday 4. Bad Dreams (1988) 5. The Car (1977) 6. Without Warning (1994) 7. Special Bulletin (1983) 8. Countdown to Looking Glass (1984) 9. Demonic (2015)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Gripweed posted:

Peter Cushing. British boobs.

Yep pretty much the only thing I remember about that movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
"Peter Cushing and British boobs" is like 99% of Hammer Horror movies and I love it

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#5. Brain Damage

A parasite takes over a young man, drugging him while it hunts for human brains.

I dug most of this. It is a sleazy, funny ride that is easy to enjoy.
However, the main story is a bit lacking, there just isn't a lot happening and it could've lost some scenes or fleshed out the creature's history a bit more.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trouble Every Day
dir. Claire Denis | 2001 | Amazon Prime
#75 on Slant's Top 100

I loved Agnès Godard's cinematography. She is Denis's long-time collaborator as cinematographer, and she knows how to use the digital format to their advantage, and tell a visually-unique story.

Funny to see Béatrice Dalle play another blood-soaked energetic murderous loon after watching Inside. I liked her much more in this role. Her succubine seduction is intense and fascinating to watch. I read that she considers this her favorite movie she's been in, which I appreciate.

There is a fear of destruction through intimacy throughout the film. Shane, at first, seems to suffer from paranoid hallucinations, then headaches and other brain issues, then impotency. It is only much later when we start to understand that he also has an appetite for carnal carnage. He is afraid to hurt the one he loves. Either he is growing deadlier, or we are seeing the beginning of his descent into craving bloodshed.

It's a rather paranoid, horrific view of intimacy and sexuality that creeps me the hell out. The two big scenes in this film, lead by Béatrice Dalle and then Vincent Gallo respectively, are based around seductions that become violent assaults. They are disturbing--moreso than traditional sexual assaults--partially because they are well-made erotic scenes that turn into horror scenes, and partially because of the idea that vulnerability of consent leads to their being devoured. It's terrifying and gross. Put THOSE on the new Scariest Movie Moments. Goodness gracious.

This isn't a perfect film. It's slow, it's purposefully obtuse, it is puzzlingly quirky, it is disorienting in it's alienation, all of which I really like, but could kill the interest of other viewers. That's fine. A small gripe is the opening credits have an amateurish font. My biggest mark, however, is Vincent Gallo as Shane. He's one of three lead characters, and the dude has such a limited range and stilted delivery. Early on in the film, it really took me a while to get comfortable with him as a character. He looks creepy, he is effectively horrifying in the film's climax, but otherwise he's the director's friend, and he hinders a role that would be amazing with someone who can handle the weight. Thankfully Béatrice Dalle, Tricia Vessey and Florence Loiret-Caille are better actors and elevate the scenes, and Alex Descas, in a minor role, grounds the film and action.

Overall, an interesting, disturbing and oddly quirky paranoid film reinterpretation of Incubi and Succubi.

Strong Recommendation, especially for fans of slower-paced, paranoid movies about sex.

Total: 6
New: The Vanishing, Inside, Trouble Every Day

Four left from Slant's Top 100:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

drat, forgot I hadn't posted my calling it for the Ironman.

I did stick with films from Empire/Full Moon that had at least one member of the Band family involved.
I did stay within my daily watch limit of 2-4 movies a day, so that ended up as 44 films watched by May 13th.
I did make a point of reviewing Evil Bong which was worth it.
I did watch a bunch I'd never seen before which was pretty mixed bag. Some were okay, others were stinkers.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

18. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
(digital)

I wasn't sure at first if this was going to be a horror movie, but it most certainly is :stare:

Dr. Steven Murphy is a surgeon who befriends the son of a former patient of his, a man who died on the operating table. It is gradually revealed that Steven is a recovering alcoholic and had been drinking before the operation, and he is most likely to blame for the man's death. The son seems off but generally a good kid in need of a father figure, but... well, probably best not to spoil anything, because this film takes some surprising and hosed up turns. I went into it completely blind and it was a great experience.

This is the third film I've seen from director Yorgos Lanthimos, The Lobster and The Favourite being the other two, and the style is very similar to those (although it's more like the former than the latter). The dialogue and line delivery is weird as hell and I imagine off-putting for many people, but it's very intentional and lends a surreal quality to the film. Like those other films, it has an extremely dark sense of humor, and there are many scenes that I found both hilarious and horrifying at the same time (like Steven telling his son about the time he jerked off his dad or the kids dragging themselves around the house to do chores so their parents don't choose them to be the one that dies). It offers no explanation for what is happening, instead it focuses on the characters and how they react to a super hosed up situation.

I loving loved this. Highly recommended.

Total: 18
Watched: Hagazussa | Deep Rising | Thoroughbreds | Wolf Guy | The Old Dark House | The House that Dripped Blood | Phenomena | Brain Damage | Demons | Demons 2 | Wolfcop | Suddenly in the Dark | Pieces | Candyman | Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh | Ganja & Hess | Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror | The Killing of a Sacred Deer

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Trouble Every Day
dir. Claire Denis | 2001 | Amazon Prime
#75 on Slant's Top 100

I loved Agnès Godard's cinematography. She is Denis's long-time collaborator as cinematographer, and she knows how to use the digital format to their advantage, and tell a visually-unique story.

Funny to see Béatrice Dalle play another blood-soaked energetic murderous loon after watching Inside. I liked her much more in this role. Her succubine seduction is intense and fascinating to watch. I read that she considers this her favorite movie she's been in, which I appreciate.

There is a fear of destruction through intimacy throughout the film. Shane, at first, seems to suffer from paranoid hallucinations, then headaches and other brain issues, then impotency. It is only much later when we start to understand that he also has an appetite for carnal carnage. He is afraid to hurt the one he loves. Either he is growing deadlier, or we are seeing the beginning of his descent into craving bloodshed.

It's a rather paranoid, horrific view of intimacy and sexuality that creeps me the hell out. The two big scenes in this film, lead by Béatrice Dalle and then Vincent Gallo respectively, are based around seductions that become violent assaults. They are disturbing--moreso than traditional sexual assaults--partially because they are well-made erotic scenes that turn into horror scenes, and partially because of the idea that vulnerability of consent leads to their being devoured. It's terrifying and gross. Put THOSE on the new Scariest Movie Moments. Goodness gracious.

This isn't a perfect film. It's slow, it's purposefully obtuse, it is puzzlingly quirky, it is disorienting in it's alienation, all of which I really like, but could kill the interest of other viewers. That's fine. A small gripe is the opening credits have an amateurish font. My biggest mark, however, is Vincent Gallo as Shane. He's one of three lead characters, and the dude has such a limited range and stilted delivery. Early on in the film, it really took me a while to get comfortable with him as a character. He looks creepy, he is effectively horrifying in the film's climax, but otherwise he's the director's friend, and he hinders a role that would be amazing with someone who can handle the weight. Thankfully Béatrice Dalle, Tricia Vessey and Florence Loiret-Caille are better actors and elevate the scenes, and Alex Descas, in a minor role, grounds the film and action.

Overall, an interesting, disturbing and oddly quirky paranoid film reinterpretation of Incubi and Succubi.

Strong Recommendation, especially for fans of slower-paced, paranoid movies about sex.

Total: 6
New: The Vanishing, Inside, Trouble Every Day

Four left from Slant's Top 100:

I think Gallo is stilted like you say, but I’m ok with the casting because he’s imminently believable as a guy who might do a sex murder at any moment. Just look at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Masters of Horror Stuart Gordon H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House

I wasn't quite sure what this was going in, I assumed from the packaging that Masters of Horror was something like 8 Films to Die For. But it turned out that Masters of Horror was a TV show. I guess they packaged the individual episodes to try to fleece rubes like me

Overall it was fine. There's a couple cool moments of gore and nothing specifically stuck out as terrible. The real problem is that it was clearly filmed as part of a tv show, on a tv show budget and a tv show schedule by tv show people. The music is super generic, presumably because one guy had to score an entire season at a time. The witch lair is just an attic with some skeletons, presumably so that they can move the skeletons out, move some trunks and stuff in, and next week it'll be the attic where the kids find the evil doll or whatever. No real character or style, just super generic and bland. Even the end feels less like a conclusion to the plot and character arcs and more like a "Tune in next week for another scare, boys and ghouls!".

It's not fair for me to knock it for being an episode of a TV show instead of a movie. But it's even less fair for them to put one episode of a TV show on a DVD and sell it like it's a movie, so screw it.

Watched: The Prophecy, The Prophecy 2, The Prophecy 3, The Prophecy Uprising, The Prophecy Forsaken, Pet Sematary, Return of the Living Dead, Laserblast, The Shining, Tales From The Darkside The Movie, The Alphabet Killer, Ghost Ship, Delivery: The Beast Within, Pulse, The Lure, Stranger Things, The Vampire Lovers, Masters of Horror Stuart Gordon H.P. Lovecraft's Dreams in the Witch House