Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
All I remember of PAXUP is Unearth, Covert, and Amish donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
PAXU is weird. Last con of the the year, and it is the least structured of any other tabletop con. Even dice tower feels better structured and the entire point of that con is playing pickup games from the game library with strangers. Maybe I am just too embittered about line only cons, but if I didn't live in Philly I wouldn't go to PAXU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ego Trip posted:

Are you just going to follow him around the internet demanding bees?

until it stops being funny.

so about six posts ago.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

nesbit37 posted:

PAXU is weird. Last con of the the year, and it is the least structured of any other tabletop con. Even dice tower feels better structured and the entire point of that con is playing pickup games from the game library with strangers. Maybe I am just too embittered about line only cons, but if I didn't live in Philly I wouldn't go to PAXU

My friends and I went to the inaugural one and haven't felt the need to go back since. I really dislike Line-Only Cons, especially for something like tabletop gaming. Their giant Games Library room was fun, but not enough to drive to Philly and spend the weekend (not dissing Philly, I just mean that it's just far enough from Northern VA to be a pain).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What’s a “line only” con?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Red posted:

What’s a “line only” con?

One where you spend half your con waiting in line hoping to get into events because there is no ticketing.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Toshimo posted:

One where you spend half your con waiting in line hoping to get into events because there is no ticketing.

Every PAX is like this, and GenCon is the first time for me that I'm going to a different con (GenCon) that does ticketing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Although I assume there is still a lot of sitting around in line as people want better seats at events?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not really. I've shown up early to things but like by 15min max. I dont do many panels or things like films, though.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Last year an entire group of L5R RPGers didn't show up to their table so my whole group got in on generics, and they didn't even both taking tickets for all of us. It was a blast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Every PAX is like this, and GenCon is the first time for me that I'm going to a different con (GenCon) that does ticketing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Although I assume there is still a lot of sitting around in line as people want better seats at events?

Time spent in line is time not spent at the auction, and what sort of fool would I be to do that?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

never stand in a line at gencon

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

But all those hot new releases :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There's no real line for hot releases. There's a short one, sure, but most of them hot enough to have that kind of line are sold out within 30 minutes of opening. The only other thing I've seen people stand in line for at Gen Con is when Margaret Weiss had Joe Manganillo at her booth last year for some limited release Death Saves/Dragonlance crossover shirt and pretty sure it took an hour or two for people to get through that line. I know Gen Con wasn't happy about that one since Margaret just kind of did it and didn't tell them it was happening so there went their line management practices (I am guessing they didn't just tell her know since she has been at Gen Con forever).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FFG usually has a line. Nothing that won't be available within a couple of months anyway.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I waited in an FFG line once and it wasn’t worth it. The line for Root was worth it because it took only like 10 min and Root is good

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I've waited in line for the bathroom and I would do that again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Never wait in the bathroom lines in ICC, head to the nearest hotel and never wait again.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah the JW bathrooms are always in good shape as far as I’ve seen and not that far from the main exhibit area

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WerrWaaa posted:

I did this once. My eyes wandered around as I got bored.

I caught an eye full of overgrown pubes between the giant gaps in the stalls.

Never again.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ugh, the PAXU model is the loving worst. As of this coming Sunday, for GenCon I will know a) what events I am playing, b) when those events are scheduled, c) the building+room+table at which they are taking place, and d) that I am guaranteed a spot in said game - almost three months before the actual convention. At PAXU, I could stand in a line for three hours and know none of those things. gently caress that. The board games library was rad and well run, but everything else was a colossal poo poo-show.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
But tickets just aren't egalitarian like lines are!!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Lines aren't egalitarian either, because I can and will pay some homeless guy to stand in one for me before I'd go to PAXU again.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ego Trip posted:

GenCon 2009 was my first. I played Warmachine for 4 days in the Wabash East corridor.

Then I didn't go for 5 years.
I am glad I am not the only one with inexplicable years-long gaps after having a great time. Well. Maybe you did not have a great time but I just assume anyone playing anything for four days must have.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The only event I ever attended in all my years of Gen-Connin' where seating was actually an issue was the debut of Lord British/Tracy Hickman's "first horror film ever filmed in space," as if I had not gotten there 15 minutes early I might not have gotten a seat at all, let alone a good one. All to watch something that only counts as a horror film in that they called it a horror film. But. Yes.

I do imagine Killer Breakfast, Critical Role, and other infamous big-venue type things are going to have similar issues.

Toshimo posted:

Time spent in line is time not spent at the auction, and what sort of fool would I be to do that?
EXACTLY!!!

AUCTION-CON!!!

WerrWaaa posted:

DIAPER-CON!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I caught an eye full of overgrown pubes between the giant gaps in the stalls.
NEST-CON!!!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
May the servers ever be in your favor. Goon speed today.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I haven't done this in a few years - does it still take an hour or more to process?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Its gotten better. It isn't instant, but usually not an hour (at least for your first pass)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Wow, I got 94 in line and pretty much every event I was most interested in. Six games and the System Mastery panel! I may need to pare down a bit.

A friend of mine didn't even see his line number, just immediately checked out.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I did my best to be watching the timer and clicked at as close to exactly 0 as I could, got 2900 in line, only got 1 of the events I cared about, which was lowest in priority of those events, and just managed to check out so about 1/2 hour total. Malaka.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I got 510 and actually got some events for the first time since I started going!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, my biggest gripe about the event registration is how many people treat it like they have control over the situation because they have to push a button to enter the queue. Like, it's still effectively a random lottery. Your position in the queue depends on how fast your internet connection is, how far you are from the servers, how fast your browser is refreshing, etc. 50,000 people clicking a button at the exact same moment has nothing to do with skill or control.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

8500 in line and only got tickets to the Deviants party and one ccg tournament for a long dead game. :/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

My wish list is still processing. :(

Edit: Or not? I got everything (I only had 5 events) on my wishlist, I guess.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 19, 2019

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I apparently learned a new technique for getting the events I want: forget about event registration for weeks, sit bolt upright in bed this morning and shout, "oh gently caress ME today's event registration", then sign on, manage to avoid the queue, and just buy the stuff I wanted. Somehow I got 2 Super Robo Rally events!

(Note: this may not work if you want hard-to-get events other than SRR, but I always had a hard time getting what I wanted for SRR in previous years...)

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Avenging Dentist posted:

I apparently learned a new technique for getting the events I want: forget about event registration for weeks, sit bolt upright in bed this morning and shout, "oh gently caress ME today's event registration", then sign on, manage to avoid the queue, and just buy the stuff I wanted. Somehow I got 2 Super Robo Rally events!

(Note: this may not work if you want hard-to-get events other than SRR, but I always had a hard time getting what I wanted for SRR in previous years...)

So this kind of worked for me to. It's my first time going through this process (yay first gencon!) and I had only added one true dungeon event to my wish list. The time I picked was sold out. I waited til my wishlist processing finished and went to see if I could find another open event. Found it and as I was about to add to my wishlist and resubmit I saw that I could just add to cart. I did, and checked out immediately and have the event now.

I was looking at events while my wishlist was in the queue and I couldn't add to cart but as long as I didn't have a submitted wishlist in the queue I could add things to my cart.

So maybe I unintentionally figured out a way to get events earlier and skip the line??

I guess its not really all that useful because you would have to completely forego the usage of the wish list system and with the event website taking 20-30 seconds per page click it's not like you could get everything you wanted booked.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I hope everyone got the events they were gunning for!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

please queue up for the shots wednesday lottery, we will begin shortly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know a few years back you could just straight-up skip the hotel lottery by popping in during the process without having actually signed up first, so I wonder if somehow that feature appeared in the events lottery this year?

Meanwhile, I find it somehow infuriating that True Dungeon's preview clip ends by listing Gen-Con as August 1-3. I realize this must be because they want to make it clear they do not run events on Sunday, but regardless, needless to say, I am filing a lawsuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gsJfRl2w1k

Also what is wrong with me that I see this video of incredibly high-effort-and-skill gaming insanity and think to myself "oh boy, a haunted house with dice" despite the fact that I am endlessly entertained by old fat men auctioning off old board games

Though make no mistake, I would absolutely pay the True Dungeon people as interior decorators for my house

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Before I stop doing this GenCon thing I'll do a TD run at least once.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know a few years back you could just straight-up skip the hotel lottery by popping in during the process without having actually signed up first, so I wonder if somehow that feature appeared in the events lottery this year?

Meanwhile, I find it somehow infuriating that True Dungeon's preview clip ends by listing Gen-Con as August 1-3. I realize this must be because they want to make it clear they do not run events on Sunday, but regardless, needless to say, I am filing a lawsuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gsJfRl2w1k

Also what is wrong with me that I see this video of incredibly high-effort-and-skill gaming insanity and think to myself "oh boy, a haunted house with dice" despite the fact that I am endlessly entertained by old fat men auctioning off old board games

Though make no mistake, I would absolutely pay the True Dungeon people as interior decorators for my house

Do you think a TD bathroom would be better than beastmasterJ's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

Do you think a TD bathroom would be better than beastmasterJ's?
Ashamed to have missed this thread the first time around, but proud to have managed to find it after a few minutes of equations flying past my head and staring at test-tubes.

And it would be better in the sense that you would be in awe of its terrible beauty for a few minutes until falling through the fatally weakened faux-lava floor.