Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think Deserters might be secretly OP once you get some good bros. Essentially having impatient on everyone on your team makes it so you can reposition as you want before every battle, and even fast beasts such as Direvolves and Webknechts can't move before you.
It also makes it so you can flee any battle you please, which is supposed to be kind of the idea behind that scenario, I suppose. :v:

Just get rid of your starting bros down the line, as deserters are usually pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Lol, I can’t win a single battle as lone wolf. Even thugs are too much. I’m going with cultists instead. Those guys look like fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

400 Armor, -42 fatigue . . . on day 60. I barely even have a bro who can wear it; my best guy is a level 9 wildman.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 19, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Anyone want a HUGE BRUTE as Lone Wolf? His stats get diminished a good deal from these traits, but those head hits would be pretty awesome.

Seed: AQGNDAWQAP

...now fill him up at a tavern, til he gets Drunkard too....

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
oh god fighting 3 schrats at the same time is stressful as gently caress

this lone wolf game is going great though, I've gotten some crazy good recruits. Nobody is 11 yet and my lowest melee attack is 64 at level 5. everyone is like 75-85, and my hunter was 57 with 3 stars, currently at 85.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The Skeleton King posted:

Lol, I can’t win a single battle as lone wolf. Even thugs are too much. I’m going with cultists instead. Those guys look like fun.

Don't worry, you're not doing anything wrong. I have relentlessly savescummed my entire lone wolf run. You could *theoretically* do it, but you'd have to be so selective and run from so many fights it's just not worth the headache imo. Just play the same thug fight a few times and alt-f4 when your dude gets his head cut off lol

Whatever you do don't turn Ironman off ever

And use that HUGE HUNK that just got posted, the -10 melee is nothing with 3 stars. Oh yeah and drunkard is absolutely one of the best traits.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 20, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For lone wolf hire a couple of guys ASAP. Your dude can mulch people, but not if he gets surrounded. take a couple cheap guys with a shield and a spear to pin enemies while the hedge knight goes to town.

One guy I hired for this a thief is still alive now on like day 70.

Also epic duel of the hedge knight player character 1v1'ing a barbarian king and winning easily.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

On my Lone Wolf game I found 3 Wildmen in one town, and every single one of them has stars in melee attack and defense. One even has 2 Melee Attack, 2 Melee Defense, and Confident and Strong with a base 5 Melee Def. Gebhard is going to smash the world unless he gets crossbowed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the trees and wolfs are working together!!!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Just discovered the utility of having a stupid bro: he can race the horse.

Holy poo poo that's a funny outcome.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Did any of you get the White Screen on launch error? I was able to play before it left early access but I haven't been able to since then. I've followed the troubleshooting steps in the steam forums about the issue and haven't had any luck

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dreylad posted:

Just discovered the utility of having a stupid bro: he can race the horse.

Holy poo poo that's a funny outcome.

Punted clean across the finish line. He'll be fine!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Once had one of my bros run out and swear at a bunch of unhold and they just left and I got a smooth 2100 gold.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

The Skeleton King posted:

Once had one of my bros run out and swear at a bunch of unhold and they just left and I got a smooth 2100 gold.

My dudes always end up mauled but I keep doing it.

Are there any good twohanded hammers? A dude had the nickname hammerer so I had to build him. But I only have the pole hammer and I kinda want to get up close and personal.

Affi fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 20, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only 2h hammer I've tried was the wooden one j gave to a brand new recruit because "gently caress it, he's new" and he one poo poo everyone he hit.

I know it's luck but yeah, that's my experience

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The excitingly named "two handed hammer" is great, I always have 1 or 2 hammer bros. Their AoE attack does a knockback and stagger so it's great at holding the ends of the line where you otherwise tend to get swarmed, it also does a gently caress ton of armour damage (a mega gently caress ton with its special ability) and is also the best non-axe weapon for breaking shields.

There are fights where hammers are a really bad choice but vs. most mid game and later enemy lineups there are good reasons to use them, they're just not quite as rediculously versatile as greatswords

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The raiders start is fun, but is it normal to have mercenary companies CONSTANTLY attacking you all the time?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

JosefStalinator posted:

The raiders start is fun, but is it normal to have mercenary companies CONSTANTLY attacking you all the time?

Perfect way to get weapons. Also a great way to wipe if they ambush you unprepared.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Perfect way to get weapons. Also a great way to wipe if they ambush you unprepared.

It's just rough because it's a steady stream before you've got anywhere near enough dudes!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

JosefStalinator posted:

Two thirds of the settlements on the map are hostile to you, and any mercs they hire will be too. You have to be careful while travelling, especially in areas close to lots of hostile settlements. Mercs will wander though so keep an eye out wherever you are

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Made it to my first ever late game crisis (war). Holy hell this is hard. There is nothing my mid game melee dudes seem to be able to do against a noble company with their t2 weapons and 120ish armour. The only ones getting kills are my lone wolf and my archers. Did I just not gear or level up quick enough?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
120 armour is definitely low by that point. I've been in similar situations come the first crisis and it's survivable but you need to gear up quickly, with any opportunity you can get. Also you will definitely take casualties in the process.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played in a few months, but did they buff zombies? They have a 100% chance of coming back now?

I remember they had a CHANCE to come back if they weren't decapitated, but now it seems like they can't die at all without it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just assume that all zombies that aren't decapitated will come back once. It's a chance, but it's pretty high.

John Charity Spring posted:

120 armour is definitely low by that point. I've been in similar situations come the first crisis and it's survivable but you need to gear up quickly, with any opportunity you can get. Also you will definitely take casualties in the process.

What do you guys do to get better armor before the crisis? 120-130 is high end for normal raiders, and there aren't enough bandit leaders around to outfit your entire company in better from drops alone. Buying is always an option I suppose, but unless you have an insanely profitable trading seed, it's hard to make enough money to buy many 200+ armors before the crisis hits.

Edit: I know raiding supply caravans can be lucrative, which is why the barbarian start is probably one of the easiest once you know the game, but for that you have to make enemies of at least one of the houses.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 20, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I walked into the icy cave, I was not prepared for that.

Broken Cog posted:

Just assume that all zombies that aren't decapitated will come back once. It's a chance, but it's pretty high.

What do you guys do to get better armor before the crisis? 120-130 is high end for normal raiders, and there aren't enough bandit leaders around to outfit your entire company in better from drops alone. Buying is always an option I suppose, but unless you have an insanely profitable trading seed, it's hard to make enough money to buy many 200+ armors before the crisis hits.

Edit: I know raiding supply caravans can be lucrative, which is why the barbarian start is probably one of the easiest once you know the game, but for that you have to make enemies of at least one of the houses.

Honestly the best way to make money I’ve found is just hunt raiders/barbarians and sell everything at a large city while doing missions for it. Once you get into decent mail and have some heavy hitters you can clear out like 10+ thralls/raiders without losses, and you do that 2-3 times and it’s like 2k+. I found a place where they seem to spawn in groups pretty regularly and the occasional easier raid was my main source of income. I got a couple lucky 200+ pieces from fights but I bought everyone else into 150+ chest/helm by day 90 along with some sellswords/soldiers. No luck on a decent hedge knight yet.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 20, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Most 200+ armour will be bought. The best way I know of to do it is to find a smallish town that has an armourer and do tons of missions for them so they love you. Do that and you can buy reinforced mail hauberks (210 durability) almost at cost, which is base 2000 gold. So each one will run you between 2000-2500ish depending on circumstances. Buy like half a dozen of those as you go along, then start buying better armour (scale/plate) and giving it to your best guys, and giving their hauberks to the guys still in basic mail, like a nice hand-me-down chain. I find that usually I can afford to get most of my frontline in 200+ body armour by the first crisis doing this. Helmets are less vital because 140-durability helmets are a very reliable drop from raiders and now barbarians as well, and your head only takes 1/3 as many hits as your body so I always prioritize getting everyone in 200+ body armour before ever buying helmets.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Finding higher tier helmets is far more common, it feels like. Way more salvageable because you'll mostly kill people via body hits.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You can generally buy good armour for around 2000 crowns a pop in my experience, which isn't too bad to amass. You don't need your entire front line in the good stuff by the first crisis, but you do need a few important people outfitted like that at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Charity Spring posted:

You can generally buy good armour for around 2000 crowns a pop in my experience, which isn't too bad to amass. You don't need your entire front line in the good stuff by the first crisis, but you do need a few important people outfitted like that at least.

Especially anyone with a two-hander.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

vyelkin posted:

Most 200+ armour will be bought. The best way I know of to do it is to find a smallish town that has an armourer and do tons of missions for them so they love you. Do that and you can buy reinforced mail hauberks (210 durability) almost at cost, which is base 2000 gold. So each one will run you between 2000-2500ish depending on circumstances. Buy like half a dozen of those as you go along, then start buying better armour (scale/plate) and giving it to your best guys, and giving their hauberks to the guys still in basic mail, like a nice hand-me-down chain. I find that usually I can afford to get most of my frontline in 200+ body armour by the first crisis doing this. Helmets are less vital because 140-durability helmets are a very reliable drop from raiders and now barbarians as well, and your head only takes 1/3 as many hits as your body so I always prioritize getting everyone in 200+ body armour before ever buying helmets.

I've done the "Befriend Small town with an armorer" trick before, but small towns seem to have a rather low chance of spawning the 200+ stuff(most likely due to usually not having a blast furnace). Not to mention that if you ever dare leave the vicinity of the town for 5 minutes, it will get a hundred modifiers that reduces supply/skyrockets prices.

Also, on the higher difficulties, saving up disposable 2k+ can actually be a bit tricky before noble contracts unless you hit a jackpot in a ruin.

Edit: My point isn't as much that it's impossible, but that it's unreasonable to expect a full frontline in 200+ armor by the time the crisis hits, especially for newer players. In my current game I had 3x those 210 armors, a 300 armor from a bandit leader, and 3 Nimble guys in 95 armor leathers, and that was a fairly good run.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 20, 2019

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

400 Armor, -42 fatigue . . . on day 60. I barely even have a bro who can wear it; my best guy is a level 9 wildman.

Do you not level your fatigue? I feel like most of my front line in my level 7 company could wear this easily.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Broken Cog posted:

The seed i'm playing on in my current run has been just absurdly good for this; I'm currently at day 83 or so and have probably the best overall armor setup I've ever had at this point in a run.

1) Partl this is because it's given me some absurd named armors that I've found by following tavern rumours, but also --

2) the trading is absurdly good -- a network of three dye villages, a gem/salt village, and a copper village, all near cities that routinely get ambushed trade routes, and multiple armorers and weaponsmiths and fletchers;

3) for some reason, perhaps since i'm leaving ambushed trade routes on the cities, the map spawns LOTS of random raider groups, including Bandit Leaders frequently

Seed is OYTDZXDZSO

That said yeah the better answer is "set your first crisis to Noble War and dagger party like crazy"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 20, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do you not level your fatigue? I feel like most of my front line in my level 7 company could wear this easily.

How much fatigue should Bros have left after armor?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"more than you have".

As a general rule you can never have enough. I like to keep it at around 70 as an absolute minimum but higher is very much what I want.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Skyl3lazer posted:

I do, but I don't like to go below 70-80 fatigue if it's avoidable, and a 415 durability armor is such overkill at this stage of the game that it's almost not worth the sixteen extra fatigue point penalty over just a basic reinforced mail hauberk.

For this run though I am emphasizing resolve a little more and taking Recover on everyone to make up the difference. With all the Beasts monsters that attack resolve it's more of a priority than it was before, and I like to get it up to 50+ rather than coasting at ~40ish like I did before.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I do, but I don't like to go below 70-80 fatigue if it's avoidable, and a 415 durability armor is such overkill at this stage of the game that it's almost not worth the sixteen extra fatigue point penalty over just a basic reinforced mail hauberk.

For this run though I am emphasizing resolve a little more and taking Recover on everyone to make up the difference. With all the Beasts monsters that attack resolve it's more of a priority than it was before, and I like to get it up to 50+ rather than coasting at ~40ish like I did before.

Yeah I pushed everyone up to 60+ in my game since most of the real annoying stuff is morale checks. My lone wolf guy is just straight immune to hexen at this point.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Resolve is more important now but also you can now throw a nachzehrer necklace on most people which will add like an extra level of resolve so that's nice.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Play cultists, never ever worry about resolve again lategame

Edit: I'd also like to recommend going nimble build for melee bros if you find someone with high initiative (thieves, ratcatchers) and some good stars. My nimble frontliners are probably some of my most survivable bros with dodge and relentless, they barely ever get hit.
Very cheap to fit out, too. Just give them one of those 95-armor, 10 fatigue armors and slap on a direwolf mantle and you have a perfect nimble tank to take into the first crisis.
They're probably not the best for the very endgame stuff, but for now they are pulling their weight admirably.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 20, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah I had a hexen fight against four of those fuckers.

Turns out 60 resolve plus a 120 resolve sergeant = dead hexen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I was gonna play around with some nimble builds today, the one thing about lone wolf that sucks is you have no room to try guys out without cutting someone. I’ve actually had everyone survive to day 90 and they are all good to great stats, so I feel terrible removing anyone :(

Also I’m addicted to this game now and work is going to drag rear end a lot this week