Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Walrus posted:

the weird dialogue and sociopathic behavior is totally intentional btw, surprised how many people dont seem to get that. you're living in a mad max society where death is every day.

hahaha no its just the same awful borderlands joss whedon quippy poo poo. i'd love it if the game had authentic post-apocalyptic dialog like in mad max or the road or something and everyone spoke in extremely vague monosyllabic sentences because then the cutscenes would be way shorter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So is there much point to the cheats?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Jose posted:

So is there much point to the cheats?

The progress booster doesn't lock out achievements.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Is it my imagination/a PS4 thing, or are the smashable crates just a little bit too low to the ground?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

homullus posted:

Is it my imagination/a PS4 thing, or are the smashable crates just a little bit too low to the ground?

I just shoot em, thats what the pistol is for

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I am enjoying the game a lot, but I'm scratching my head how the menus got past Sony's quality control on the PS4. Switching between menus takes forever, navigating in them takes forever....I mean, they are 2D menus...what's there to process?

I still don't understand most of the reviews. I am no big fan of openworld games (used to be). The last couple of Far Cries are always the same, I didn't even really get into "Horizon: Zero Dawn" because the open world is just....the same stuff everywhere. The Witcher 3 was cool because the missions you could find where awesome. Rage 2? The open world is actually fine! There is something going on everywhere, drive around a bit and you'll find a firefight you can hop out of your car and participate in (or slam dunk with the flyer). This game has so many flaws and bugs (I hope they fix the missing HUD on PS4 soon, because I get that nearly everytime I play and go into the PS4 menu and back to the game), but the open world aspect is actually fine, imo.

And the combat gets better and better the more stuff you unlock. After couple of hours, it's exactly what they promised us in the trailers/game demos, and the game feels really good. Wonder why the gaming media dumped on it the way they did.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

homullus posted:

Nope. It's one of the major fuckups RAGE 2 has. They have way too much health and you usually can't hit them proper. You have to shoot them.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
This game finds new ways to surprise me with its jank. Today I just dipped in to do a little killin' and I went to a mutant nest, had the guys all standing around the area with it sealed and I go to the door to get the "you can go in but we shut the door behind you" canned speech. Except it's not coming from the guy at the door, it's coming from a guy back in a room behind us.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

haldolium posted:

Nope. It's one of the major fuckups RAGE 2 has. They have way too much health and you usually can't hit them proper. You have to shoot them.

Crouching also works (but shouldn't have to).

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

3-beer-20hour-playtime-recap

RAGE 2 has a large spectrum between "hell yeah!" (sometimes) and "what the poo poo" (almost always in addition) It basically really is just a JC/Mad Max/Doom crossover so idk what went wrong there (probably time, but also production).
Most combat encouters are way too short to build up a flow. What would've been a lot more fun (as hives or high tier solar array missions) is to just up the crowd instead of making bullet spongy armor fuckers that are as fun as shooting tin cans. The power system is okayish, but suffers under the unnecessary progression system, where it just starts to get fun once having certain upgrades. The way it's controlled is also a notch too unituitive for me. I don't know if they wanted somethign "different" here or just failed, but things like slam are just not nicely implemented. I really never want to look straight down when doing that move unless I start from 50m above.
Car handling is somewhat bad, mostly the turnic arc though, which I think is realistic for that kind of cars but it's pretty much the last area where realism is wanted. Not to mention the super stupid way Icarus works. Many QoL things are absent, like having interaction as a hold mechanic for no reason because "E" has no other function in the game world and then breaking it if you press it too soon. Having 3 types of completion screens (one ingame as it should be, one unskippable and one for the XP you gained), not being able to spawn a vehicle in way too many scenarios, having abilities and therefore advanced jumping disabled in cities... all those small annoaynces accumulate.

It also turns into the common game of icon clearing after a couple of hours, which is now my major motivation. One more subtle issue is also sound authoring where music is constantly breaking or being active because you triggerd a random event 300m away. Which I dislike because a lot of tracks are pretty great and the game would gain much more atmosphere if this would've been more consistent and smooth. I do like that they put in quite a few options for the general mixing though which has at least one more as usual. Graphics are great outdoors but suffer when it comes to interriors, also the asset reuse is way too obvious. They just copy/pasted many areas and missions.
Weaponary is basic and lackluster. MG for the start, shotgun for the rest, RL for certain armor types and the railgun exclusively to get down those boring turrets, because for everything else it's just too slow and it isn't like the railgun in doom (or quake or any game for that matter). Ammo capacity for "special" guns is also extremely unnecessary, as well as their ammo distribution. When I take a step back I think overall I had definitively more fun in Just Cause 4 despite that ones shortcomings. The core just worked. Making poo poo go boom in hilarious ways.
RAGE 2 has a way that everything I do in that game has one or several points which are at the very least notably annoying. There is no overall issue (unless really getting into the game design, but that would go to far) but no system of it really leaves me satisfied. The only thing that do are environmental design and graphics because they are amazing.

It's a party with very cool people but you ended up having a bad conversation with that one guy and then people left and the alcohol you want is empty so you can't really enjoy the nice track that is playing.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 19, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe it's just because it's the last power I unlocked, but I'm really struggling to find a use for Barrier. All my other defensive options are both more effective and more fun. Maybe I can use it as a trap once I get the upgrade that makes it damage baddies, but idk.

I really hope there's a New Game+ or an outpost reset toggle later on, because the Icarus combined with a fully upgraded Slam is a sight to behold.

Edit: I completely agree with Haldolium that every fight should have more dudes. Maybe even twice as many.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 19, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Crowetron posted:

Maybe it's just because it's the last power I unlocked, but I'm really struggling to find a use for Barrier. All my other defensive options are both more effective and more fun. Maybe I can use it as a trap once I get the upgrade that makes it damage baddies, but idk.

Check the perks for barrier. You can make it so damage it absorbs charges your overdrive. There's another one which gives it a bit more offensive use too but I forget what it is. Oh, you can make it deal damage to enemies that touch it.

I still never use it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This game finds new ways to surprise me with its jank. Today I just dipped in to do a little killin' and I went to a mutant nest, had the guys all standing around the area with it sealed and I go to the door to get the "you can go in but we shut the door behind you" canned speech. Except it's not coming from the guy at the door, it's coming from a guy back in a room behind us.

Yeah that one happened to me as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The perk for Slam that adds a gravity well also places a purple dot on the ground where you’re gonna touch down and it really turns the power into maybe you’re most important ability

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
This game feels like a fan made Mod of a much worse game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How are you supposed to heal when you exit an area with like 4 health and no health infusions left?

Or did the devs just want players to run around in the wilderness and start the next encounter with 4 health a lot of the time?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

How are you supposed to heal when you exit an area with like 4 health and no health infusions left?

Or did the devs just want players to run around in the wilderness and start the next encounter with 4 health a lot of the time?

Craft more health infusions? Assuming you have bought the first upgrade schematic for it.

To be honest I've never had that be a problem. Find some Feltrite crates and heal up with those?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Just finished the game, and I feel like the combat, engine tech and world design deserved a more expansive story. For better or worse, Rage 2 has a short, linear shooter campaign embedded in an open world along with side activities. It's great for what it is, but drat I'd love to see a borderlands scale shooter rpg that had combat as satisfying as what is in this game. The open world is a bit of a mixed bag because I think having this big seamless open world is gorgeous to look at and super impressive on a technical level, but the fact that it is "open world" brings certain expectations for stuff like the length of the campaign and the depth of the progression and weapon variety.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

A note about boxes, you can dash into them to break them, and I think sprinting works too.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Zoig posted:

A note about boxes, you can dash into them to break them, and I think sprinting works too.

Don't think sprinting does but dashing definitely does.

I also caught myself wishing the map would show you when you'd fully cleared a location until I realized that it does: When the icon is still in color you didnt find everything. When it's in black and white you did.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly this game is hella fun and I wish there was more, which is weird considering how much there already is in it.
As much as I HATE Borderlands 2, I liked the worldmap was purpose-built and things were very specific to the area it was in, and things were atleast diverse in location. I think my favorite areas in Rage 2 are the Dune Sea, Wetlands, and the Jungle, just because they're so different compared to the other three areas the game has in it's arsenal.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Was anyone else running into the problem where sometimes characters would move their lips but the sound file wouldn't play? It happened a lot with the main npcs. The worst was when Kvasir wouldn't talk to me and I had to stand next to him for a few minutes before it would work. I would hold down the interact button and the meter would full up but nothing would happen and the meter would reset to emlty. Didn't stop me from finishing the game but it was annoying.

This game needed at least another 6 months to a year.

Also did anyone else find that loving mutant trader? I was all over the map and never found him.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm interested to see how avalanche supports QOL stuff with rage 2, id and Bethesda seem committed to making this ip work so hopefully we get some fixes. The community challenges and DLC definitely have me wanting to return to this game down the road, especially if the DLC hyperfocuses on what's great about the game.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

limp_cheese posted:

Was anyone else running into the problem where sometimes characters would move their lips but the sound file wouldn't play? It happened a lot with the main npcs. The worst was when Kvasir wouldn't talk to me and I had to stand next to him for a few minutes before it would work. I would hold down the interact button and the meter would full up but nothing would happen and the meter would reset to emlty. Didn't stop me from finishing the game but it was annoying.

This game needed at least another 6 months to a year.

Also did anyone else find that loving mutant trader? I was all over the map and never found him.

Yeah, had that happen a few times, but I always play with subtitles turned on. Probably won't ever listen to anything someone has to say again after the first play through, just mash the skip button.

Also did find the mutant trader and bought a couple progress boosters, in my case he was near the space controller mission or whatever.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This game plays like it came straight out of 2014. It's painfully tryhard but doesn't have any idea wtf it wants to be.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The game has an incredible combat engine and just not enough to do with it. I didn’t make it to any of the Level 10 content on Nightmare but I feel like I saw everything the game had to offer.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

So there's a setting for the driving camera that's default on, and turning it off makes the driving/handling/racing about a hundred times easier. What the gently caress is that, and why is it on by default

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So there's a setting for the driving camera that's default on, and turning it off makes the driving/handling/racing about a hundred times easier. What the gently caress is that, and why is it on by default

Its "Auto Center Driving Camera" and :shrug:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh yeah I turned that poo poo off immediately.

Man I was dying so easily on hard. I’d completed a ton of side quests and content. Finally open up these dense customization menus to realize there’s like four different currencies and a skill tree for literally everything. Maxed out a ton of stuff and maybe I’ll be better now. It’s almost comical how many currencies and skill trees there are.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I actually started laughing when I realized every single skill and every single weapon had it's own skill tree and resources for it. Also I didn't realize what the Cyber-Doc in Wellsprings did until I had enough for like 9 augmentation upgrades.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

They even put the 2 most annoying options conveniently at the top. Options menu is pretty good if you care to check it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think I’m shelving this game for a while.

The straw that broke the camel’s back for me was when I finally figured out you could craft health infusions, but you have to get a schematic first to do so... the game doesn’t tell you where to get it so I went online and read that the schematic is no specific place but in vendor stocks “in general” but only like the traveling vendor which you *might* see once in a blue moon. This pissed me off real good because there’s no other health regeneration and enemies do a shitload of damage in this game.

That plus having to face items and hit a button to pick them up in a FPS just kind of killed the momentum of the game for me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

so I went online and read that the schematic is no specific place but in vendor stocks “in general” but only like the traveling vendor which you *might* see once in a blue moon. This pissed me off real good because there’s no other health regeneration and enemies do a shitload of damage in this game.

While I get your frustration this is flat out untrue. Those schematics come from any of the general traders at the big trade towns. The travelling vendor (who I can never get rid of tbh, and I didn’t even take the perk to make him show up more often) might have one, but there’s like 4 or 5 to get for each infusion and they are spread around the various trade towns. If you fast travelled around the trade towns you have unlocked and went to each general trader you’d have 3 or 4 levels unlocked easy.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Beat the game on hard in 15 hours. Pretty solid combat, gently caress all of the yellow activites. Turrets suck rear end, recharge stations take ages and immortal shrouded are armored assholes that take one full mag from a weapon to die.
I feel like a lot of the weapons are just fluff and you are better off using the AR + SHG, sometimes the RL.
Grav dart launcher is pretty fun, doesnt do anything to tougher enemies.
Why is the basic pistol in the game? I havent found a use for it besides breaking crates. Didnt bother upgrading either.
The plasma thing is pretty decent at dispatching weak enemies, I mostly use it just for the sake of using some ammo.
Charge cannon charges a bit too slowly, should have gotten the charge speed upgrade. Havent really found a use besides blasting vortexed enemies during overdrive.
Fire pistol is ok for aoe during vortex and to stagger enemies, does pretty low damage it feels like.
Old school revolver is in the basic pistol territory.

Ill play around a bit more after endgame but I dont feel very motivated to play after finishing the "story"

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

West007 posted:

Beat the game on hard in 15 hours. Pretty solid combat, gently caress all of the yellow activites. Turrets suck rear end, recharge stations take ages and immortal shrouded are armored assholes that take one full mag from a weapon to die.
I feel like a lot of the weapons are just fluff and you are better off using the AR + SHG, sometimes the RL.
Grav dart launcher is pretty fun, doesnt do anything to tougher enemies.
Why is the basic pistol in the game? I havent found a use for it besides breaking crates. Didnt bother upgrading either.
The plasma thing is pretty decent at dispatching weak enemies, I mostly use it just for the sake of using some ammo.
Charge cannon charges a bit too slowly, should have gotten the charge speed upgrade. Havent really found a use besides blasting vortexed enemies during overdrive.
Fire pistol is ok for aoe during vortex and to stagger enemies, does pretty low damage it feels like.
Old school revolver is in the basic pistol territory.

Ill play around a bit more after endgame but I dont feel very motivated to play after finishing the "story"

And here we have a prime example of the person who plays with the first three weapons, doesn’t explore the upgrades then claims the game is dull. :golfclap:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I pay basically no attention to survival and focus 100% on killing as fast as possible. If i'm killing enough then it doesn't matter how much damage I take because I'm healing it all instantly.
(This is on Hard, may be different on Nightmare.)

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Is there a setting in the video settings to reduce the grainy(?)/unsharp look of the game? It especially stands out with bushes, they don't look crisp. I think I saw someone mention here chromatic aberration but I can't seem to find that in the ingame settings. Everything else is set to high or ultra. Latest drivers on a GTX 1060.

Edit:
Oh ok, must have overlooked that setting a couple of times found in afterall, will see if turning that off will be better.

Zadda fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 20, 2019

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

AirRaid posted:

And here we have a prime example of the person who plays with the first three weapons, doesn’t explore the upgrades then claims the game is dull. :golfclap:

honestly now that i've gotten majority of the upgrades the game is rediculously easier to run through things. I'm kind of baffled at how frustrating the early game is when you don't have the arks found though. there's some incredibly taxing things in the game if you don't go and look up their locations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I found every ark without looking up anything. The game literally tells you how to find the arks after you visit the first one you find in the open world.

Not the games fault if you mash past every pop up message it gives you.

It’s weird because this game has a lot of genuine problems, but half the complaints in this thread are stuff which is really not an issue and there are mechanics in game to deal with.

The slow drudge at the start until you have some equipment though, that is an issue. I started a new game last night for kicks and wow it’s a slog to start out. Amazing how much quicker the intro is when you’re just mashing past the cutscenes though.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also a ton of essential QOL stuff is hidden behind the scientist's upgrades.

Edit: I maxed out the railgun and it's pretty disappointing. A charged headshot won't oneshot the armoured bandits.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 20, 2019