Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Not many of these books have two instant death pages so close to the beginning (Following Drear is also instant death).

Use prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sounds like it wants clockwise, so let's go left.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

If we can magic up food and water then I guess we could tumble for quite a long time.

Go Left

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Left, dur.

What do we get for sticking our hand in? Cold fingers?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Runcible Cat posted:

What do we get for sticking our hand in? Cold fingers?

Not even that.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Jackard posted:

Sounds like it wants clockwise, so let's go left.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BO-ring.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
left duh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Beyond the Nightmare Gate posted:

Closing your eyes, you send the power of your thought into the future in search of a clue that will help you find the door. The image that forms in your mind is identical to that of the plate bearing the inscription:
    ‘From south of here, to west, and north,
    Then east and south once more,
    A circle’s motion rings the charm
    That finds the Vanishing Door.’
Your Power of Prophecy is usually of more use than this, your visions of the future far clearer. You conclude that the door is masked by magic and that the inscription is the only clue that can help you find it.

Frustrated, you read the inscription again. You have expended 1 WILLPOWER point; adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

Willpower: 35.
Should we now go right, go left, climb the tower, or examine the wall below the inscription?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
:goleft:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Go left dangit.

I do appreciate that Prophecy just says "look you need to solve this puzzle on your own."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

loving useless skill

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
why didn't prophecy just tell us to go clockwise instead of being a pretentious rear end?

anyway, clockwise starts with going left so...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mister Perky posted:

why didn't prophecy just tell us to go clockwise instead of being a pretentious rear end?

Because it's not a very hard puzzle, and you shouldn't need help to solve it. :v:

Prophecy's been plenty helpful in the past when the clues were more subtle or even nonexistent.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Go left young twit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Prophecy is worse than spider-sense.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Examine the wall. I think the answer is right in front of us, we just don’t realize it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am just gonna quote myself :v:

Xarn posted:

left duh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Go left young twit.

Soon you are back where you started, having completed a circuit of the Crystal Tower. To your immense surprise, however, there is now a door beneath the metal plate. Tanith has an incredulous look upon her face. ‘There is strange sorcery at work here,’ she comments.

The iron-shod door is tall and uninviting. You try the handle but the door is locked. You notice a keyhole and five Keys hanging on five hooks by the door. Each Key has been shaped into the likeness of a beast.

Shall we try the Serpent Key, Eagle Key, Wolf Key, Spider Key or Dragon Key, or read the inscription above the door, hit the door with our staff, or use Prophecy?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Read the inscription because it's presumably the hint for this puzzle.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Read the inscription, because Prophecy is probably just going to tell us to not be a moron and read it.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Use Prophecy so we can see a vision of ourselves in the future reading the inscription.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Wolf key has to be a reference to Lone Wolf. Try the Wolf key.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anakha posted:

Read the inscription, because Prophecy is probably just going to tell us to not be a moron and read it.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Read the Inscription.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Read you fool..

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Picture looks like a Wolf door so let's try the Wolf key.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I don’t know why we wouldn’t just automatically read the inscription but I guess we did just jump into a completely random hole in another plane of existence so logic isn’t super high right now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Read the Inscription.

You study the inscription again, only to find that the words have changed once more. Tanith reads the inscription aloud:
    ‘Ware the hunters, beasts of prey,
    Five in number, feared by name:
    The widow woman, patient weaver;
    The tireless runner, shadow-seeker;
    Bird of fire, the treasure lover;
    Arrow-swift, his keen-eyed brother;
    But only he who walks without feet
    May pass this door of mystery.’
Shall we try the Serpent Key, Eagle Key, Wolf Key, Spider Key or Dragon Key, or hit the door with our staff, or use Prophecy?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's a neat poem, with a lot of stuff that's not really relevant to the puzzle except as misdirection. Take the Serpent key.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
snek

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's a neat poem. Take the Serpent key.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAKE!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

anakha posted:

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock.

Worm. I mean Snake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You take the Key from the hook and place it in the lock. You have guessed correctly: the Key fits. You unlock the door, push it open, and take a deep breath before entering the Crystal Tower. Suddenly the Serpent Key vanishes into thin air!

If you wish to keep any of the remaining Keys, mark them as Special Items on your Action Chart. If you decide to carry them, they must be kept in your Backpack unless you give them to Tanith to carry, in which case note this on your Action Chart.¹

With Tanith still close by your side you enter a large, square room. The walls are made of the same black crystal as the outer wall of the tower. A large, ornate stairway ascends from the room and the only other visible exit is a door to your left. There are many paintings on the walls. The flagstones on the floor of the gloomy hall bear the carvings of swords. The one you are now standing on bears an inscription.
  1. Do we keep any keys (Eagle, Wolf, Spider or Dragon)? If so, do we put them in our backpack or give them to Tanith?
  2. Shall we now look at the paintings, examine the floor, climb the stairs, or try the door?

¹ All four keys together take up a single Backpack space so we can carry them without dropping anything if we want to. If we let Tanith carry them then we will only have access to them as long as Tanith is with us, but can move them to our backpack at any time.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Examine floor for traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Give all the keys to Tanith.

Examine the floor.