Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It would be neat to have a frontline map with no horses for a change of pace. We've already got one without a ballista and two without catapults so the precedent is there.

On the flipside it would also be cool to have a map or gamemode where everyone spawns with horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Gamerofthegame posted:

horses are also extremely loud... which is actually why they sneak up on you, cuz you hear them from so far away that you kind of tune it out after a while

in most frontlines map if there's horsies actually contributing to the fight (don't laugh) you're going to hear it constantly after all

I play a lot of cavalry, and I try to charge into fights and take out the enemy, but since it's a melee fight it's very often very close to a friendly with the situational awareness of a fruitbat, or at the very least compromised situational awareness due to being in a fight.

So I'm charging in with a couched lance and this friendly is dodging left and right sporadically. I'm usually able to avoid murdering him, but since I have to pass the enemy to my right, more often than not the friendly takes a little trample damage. I often wonder what their reaction to these "assists" is...
  • Thanks horse bro.
  • I'm pissed because an ally just did damage to me.
  • I'm pissed because an ally just took my kill.
  • I'm pissed because an ally just interrupted my fight. (Slightly different attitude from "kill stealing".)
  • Or perhaps they are just laughing, because this is usually my reaction when a guy gets couch impaled out of nowhere right in front of me.

So more often than not I try to find enemies that haven't made it to the fight yet, that are lagging behind, or intentionally staying behind (artillery, archers). Also the occasional horse on horse action, which I try to prioritize over killing enemy ground troops.

Gobblecoque posted:

It would be neat to have a frontline map with no horses for a change of pace. We've already got one without a ballista and two without catapults so the precedent is there.
I kind of think this should be Taiga. It's a lovely map for horses anyway. I don't know why they are there.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 19, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Nothing gives me warm fuzzy feelings like a turbosperg getting mad about rapiers and then everyone on the server proceeding to make fun of his nerd rear end.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've resorted to throwing everything.

Arming sword, throwing axe, short spears, wooden hammers...

Mauls. All the mauls. Yelling, throwing mauls.

Is there a good place to practice chambering? Frontlines is a trial by fire situation.

Edit: I know theres servers out there with dueling, but no one there wants to help me learn - they just want to clown on me

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Stringbean posted:

I've resorted to throwing everything.

Arming sword, throwing axe, short spears, wooden hammers...

Mauls. All the mauls. Yelling, throwing mauls.

Is there a good place to practice chambering? Frontlines is a trial by fire situation.

Edit: I know theres servers out there with dueling, but no one there wants to help me learn - they just want to clown on me

technically being clowned on is a form of learning. Although their duelist honor means if you drop a training sword at them they HAVE to use it. Otherwise pick on the high level dudes because they're often chiller.... not always but generally.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If you just want to practice chambering you can always start a local match with 1 bot.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

If you just want to practice chambering you can always start a local match with 1 bot.

I started doing this yesterday and it works great. The bots aren't overly tricky or aggressive so you can start learning without being totally creamed. However they will also occasionally mix things up by counter chambering or parrying you, so it doesn't become dead simple as soon as you start to get the hang of things.

Best way to practice I've found is to start by parrying everything and watching for one particular type of attack to chamber instead, like thrusts. Once you can consistently chamber every thrust while parrying everything else, start watching for strikes from one particular direction, let's say right, and trying to chamber those too. Once you can consistently chamber every thrust and right strike while parrying everything else, add in left strikes and so on. Eventually you'll have the muscle memory to comfortably read each type of attack and pick the right response.

For the easiest practice, if you go in with training swords and manage to disarm the bot, you can drop one of your training swords and get them to pick it up with some convincing. You'll spend a lot less time killing and relocating each other that way.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Quoting myself for instructions on how to practice chambering against a bot.

cerebral posted:

Setting up a slo-mo bot match goes like this:

1) Fight => Local Match => Deathmatch => 0 bots =>Pick Map => Start
2) Open console with ~
3) Type: toggledamage 0
4) Type: togglestamina 0
4) Type: slomo 0.7
5) Type: addbot 1

You can adjust the slow motion as you get a feel for things until you get up to full speed, but being able to see everything happening and being able to experiment against a bot for 10 minutes will help you more than watching a thousand youtube videos.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks, I'll give this a try later tonight!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

THE MYRMIDONGS GUIDE TO HOW TO GET KINDA SORTA OK

There's a lot of guides and advice going around for how to git good. This is not any of that. This is very basic tips on how to get kinda sorta ok. Here's the thing though, kinda sorta good is still good enough to smash 90% of people in Frontline right now. This is not going to help be a master duelist. You are going to be competent enough to stab idiots in the face, and to start giving you confidence in yourself that you aren't idiot human garbage.

1) Watch your surroundings. No, really. PAY ATTENTION. Are you in the center of a push and one of your flanks just got crushed? Keep and eye on that because you might need to run away like a pansy any second. Do you hear a horse running around? Find out if it is an enemy or not, and if it is stay the hell out of the paths they typically charge through.

2) Learn what weapons your enemies are using. This is super important, because you need to be aware of how your enemy wants to fight. More on this later.

3) Pick the Footman class. Footmen get an amazing medic bag that sits on the battlefield for way too long allowing you and your teammates to return to it over and over and over and heal up faster. They also come equipped with the Spear. Spears are all about thrust attacks and almost never use their swing. That means you don't need to worry about being too close to a wall, or an idiot teammate walking right into your arc as you are about to deliver a killing blow. You also don't need need to learn dragging or accelerating.... at least not to be kinda sorta OK. That poo poo's for getting good.

4) Learn the flow of combat. Ignore all the poo poo about mastering feints, chambers, and morphs for now. That's for when you want to get good. We are trying to get kinda sorta ok. Typically the flow of combat goes as follows: you thrust, opponent parries, opponent swings, you parry, repeat from beginning. learn that cycle, and get it through your thick skull. Do not try to out-stab your opponent UNLESS you can tell that they are an idiot. Just follow the flow.

5) If your opponent is walking at you, then just walk backwards and follow the flow. No, really. It's super simple. The spear is STUPIDLY long and most players are completely willing to just walk into you. They also are absolute rear end at parries, so chances are you are going to win these exchanges.

6) Beware War Axes, Mauls, Great Swords, Zweihanders, and Executioner Swords. Go back to number two on this list. Just be super aware that these are super popular weapons because 90% of players are absolute poo poo at parrying. As a result, you will constantly come across people using these weapons where they just swing for the fences over and over and over. Why? Because when you can swing at a group of 4 enemies and not a goddamn one of them parries and you chop all their heads off, there's not a lot of incentive NOT to do that behavior. The moral of the story here is LEARN HOW TO PARRY THESE WEAPONS.

That's it. There is nothing complicated in here because it isn't. Spears let you ignore the deep combat system while learning fundamentals like footwork, awareness, how the flow of combat works, and how to parry idiots who swing for the fences. You don't even need to master these skills. You can do the equivilent of watching a 20 minute work safety video and become certified to be able to go 15-20+ positive kills every single game and be victorious over 90% of the playerbase. I am not loving kidding.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

cerebral posted:

Quoting myself for instructions on how to practice chambering against a bot.

Is there a way to increase or remove the match timer?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Eager voice with high pitch is the best voice.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Ristolaz posted:

Is there a way to increase or remove the match timer?

I don't think so, at least I haven't been able to find that command yet.

One thing I really appreciate about this game is that there is a counter to everything that I hate. Horses? Grab a billhook. Firepots? Take fireproof. Lots and lots of assholes spamming firepots? Smoke bombs. I just ran into a series of matches against 3 high level players who exclusively used firepots. No armor, no weapons, just throwing firepots constantly. They were NOT fans of me putting out their fires and camping the resupply chests, but I had fun. It made me laugh to see people who were obviously trying to ruin everyone's fun get mad at me for ruining their fun without a hint of self-awareness.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
tbh 3 fire pots is hilarious on any map with a bridge

toss one in front of them, one behind them, then one right on top of them

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Goast posted:

I'm sure it is, just like extinguishing it with a smoke bomb is also funny.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I wanna play this with goons where are all of you

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I have determined that the best build is a peasant with three frying pans. Two for throwing, one for bashing people with.

Then you throw the third one and punch them to death.

apostasy.
Feb 15, 2012
don't want to be dramatic but this might be the best game ever

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

apostasy. posted:

don't want to be dramatic but this might be the best game ever
It does eventually get a little repetitive, but it is pretty darned good.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Glenn Quebec posted:

I wanna play this with goons where are all of you

There are discords in the OP.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah hit the goon discord in the OP up, there's usually a couple of us playing every night and every once in a while we'll hop on the goon server and beat the poo poo out of each other

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Goast posted:

I'm surprised I've only seen it in action once, but the most hilarious firebomb usage I've seen is taking advantage of enemies gleefully walking up to scoop up a mepack the enemy dropped and got "Chased away from" which happens quite a bit.

They dropped a medpack by the edge of a losing brawl, fell back, then chucked a firebomb when a wounded enemy went to use the medpack :allears:

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Eager voice with high pitch is the best voice.

Foppish and low actually.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Moon Shrimp posted:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Moon Shrimp posted:

dOdGE thiS yOu BAStaRRDddsSS

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

They really need to look at the snow map, and assess how quickly blue can approach the first capture point for Red. Have I seen Red teams win the map? Yes, definitely. However, there is a distinct advantage on how quickly blue can control red's first control point and just clinch the match in a couple of minutes. Once red gets pinned in, it's hard as gently caress for them to push out as well. Where-as blue's spawn is open and aren't forced into choke points to get out of the spawn. That's why when you bunker blue, they almost always can counter push and even take the first point of theirs before Red can respawn. The same can't be said about Red. I suppose this is a problem when you don't run symmetrical maps, but god drat they launched with 4 maps for frontline, and 2 of them are heavily biased to one team.

Blue's first point also has a giant cliff that over looks it which means they can't really be attacked except for archers for a good chunk of the point. Red's point can be attacked 360 degrees, and it's easy for blue to just run past the archer tower and attack from behind and mop the team up.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 20, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are a bunch of things that need to be done to all the maps.

Camp; move Blue's second spawn onto the mud below the drop out of the camp or to the right side of the camp so they use that gate and not unfairly contest the cart, they already have to run around the palisade and into catapult range to get into the middle point, they don't need a longer run too. Make Blue's ballista actually useful, Red's at least covers the approach to their second point. Clean up the geometry on the cart's approach to the stables - there's a bunch of places that red has no room to fight and still have enough people on the cart to push it.

Taiga; make the middle spawn spawn people outside the camp and further away. Fix Blue's second spawn point so it's not actively harmful to winning to use. Give Blue more cover from the middle point fort, like Red has on their second point - basically once Blue (on the rare occasion it does) destroys the barricades you can't shoot into the melee from the fort anymore, Red doesn't have this problem when pushing Blue's point.

Mountaintop; as mentioned fix the choke point issue for Red spawn. Make it harder for a coordinated Red engineering effort to lock down the northern cliffs and shoot into the Blue spawn/second point. Similarly, give Red more cover on their second point instead of it being an all day arrow fest. Disallow horses on the bridge. Widen the main gate on Red's first point if nothing else so people can actually fight next to the ram when pushing in.

Grad; generally the most balanced of the maps but still needs some changes. Fix the Blue commander AI being blind to spikes. Move the final Red point spawns closer to the carts, even just two people working on one cart can kill it before people from any Red spawn can contest. Disallow building in the sawmill, it's basically impossible to dislodge a concerted engineering effort up there. As part of the first Red spawn changes moving nearer to the carts, also just move them up in general. It's impossible for Red to get to the middle point as fast as Blue on any armor setup.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Is the Cruel Voice the Mason Knight?

Edit: found out he wasn't but the Agatha Archer is the foppish voice. and in actual game talk, been having a blast with the Arming sword in duel servers with dodge/bloodlust and a lute. Morph into throw is great if people think you're doing and overhead from out of range

HukHukHuk fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 20, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not that the voices aren't great, but I hope they add even more voices in the future. I want something that sounds as completely unhinged as Agatha Vanguard in Chiv.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I'm loving playing as a big ugly peasant with naught but a big club and a pair of shorts.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

More maps can't come soon enough. It's getting pretty stale after about 20h of gameplay, most of it in Frontline, to only ever see 4 maps (and most people tend to hate Taiga because of its imbalance, so really people play Grad, Camp and Mountain Peak almost exclusively)

I use cruel voice only because screaming "TEAR THEM ASUNDER" never gets old. What do the other voices say that is really funny?

Also been trying the maul, I'm bad at getting headshots so I'm bad with it in general. It seems that if you don't regularly headshot, the eveningstar is longer, faster and just as strong (2 hit kills on body no matter what the armor, 1 hit kill on light helmets) plus much more versatile with alt grip and a decent thrust.

Also trying out the greatsword in stead of the poleaxe I was using, and boy that's strong. Doing some more damage in general but slightly less effective at thrusting and a tiny bit slower. Not sure which one to keep as main, honestly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

I use cruel voice only because screaming "TEAR THEM ASUNDER" never gets old. What do the other voices say that is really funny?

The Raider's accent is fantastic, and I'm a fan of his "sorry" lines which mostly aren't anywhere near an actual apology. "GET OOT THA WAE YA TIT"

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 20, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Please help I'm addicted to Dodge and can't make any classes without it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Please help I'm addicted to Dodge and can't make any classes without it.

The only reason I don't always take dodge is because I am equally addicted to playing engineer and the toolbox already costs a ton of points

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captainicus posted:

The only reason I don't always take dodge is because I am equally addicted to playing engineer and the toolbox already costs a ton of points

It's honestly a bit stupid how much one dedicated engineer can swing a few Frontline maps.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

It's honestly a bit stupid how much one dedicated engineer can swing a few Frontline maps.

In the same vein I will implore everyone: If you are playing frontline and using a war axe or battle axe, and you can spare 1 loadout point, PLEASE take Wrecker. With a war axe it lets you neutralize spikes in two hits, and lets you tear down the bigger walls very quickly

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

destroying poo poo with wrecker + axe is a great way to get points too if the enemy team has avid builders, to help you climb the scoreboard

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

destroying poo poo with wrecker + axe is a great way to get points too if the enemy team has avid builders, to help you climb the scoreboard

Folks, this is the real reason to do it. Top of the chart on blue team is still top of the chart.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

get money get paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Cruel voice feels like a poor imitation of the Mason Knight. That dude was a loving boisterous psychopath and I miss spamming the laugh while cleaving people in twain. I'm still going to recreate his default look once I have enough gold though.

Also they need to find the guy who did the Agatha Vanguard. Probably one of the most unhinged people I have ever heard.