Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

chaosapiant posted:

Also, is it easier/better for a newb like me to start in the earlier time periods or later? I figure starting earlier gives my dynasty more time to rule, but maybe that's not the way to go?

Edit: Thought of another question: all those graphical doo dads on the map, is there a guide somewhere to what they all mean. Some are obvious, but some aren't. There's buildings, coats of arms, siege engines, dark clouds, stacks of grain/food, etc. I want to know what all of them are.

There's one important fact you need to realize before going further: It's extremely rare to play a game from pre-1066 starts to the end (1453, the Fall of Constantinople IRL), and the majority of 1066 games aren't played to the end, either. Unless you specifically set out to "finish" a game, you will get bored with a game and start over. That's normal, and expected. I played 2 games to the end, once from 1066, and once from the Old Gods start date from when that DLC came out. I never bothered to do so with the Charlemagne start. So don't fret over not having enough time to achieve all your goals, until you start at the later dates (1200 and later imho).

The 1066 start date is usually among the easier starts. Christians are the default starter faith, and Christians are at their weakest in the 769 and 867 start dates. It's not easy to get a game over if you are surrounded by other Christian lords, one usually can manage to at least retain some counties, even if you're conquered by another king or emperor. And then you can scheme your way up again. On the other hand, if a pagan faith reforms and rolls your neighborhood, you're likely hosed.

To sum it up: Don't expect to play a dynasty until the game forces you to quit, and the later start dates are easier if you're not playing pagans than the later dates.

As for the map symbols, I don't know any guides, but I will try to answer your question.

Buildings obviously present holdings, and there's usually just one gaggle of buildings for all holdings. If there's a wooden crane, it means construction is going on.

Coat of arms shows a ruler's capital. The bigger the CoA, the higher a ruler's rank. The biggest for emperors, second biggest for kings, etc. If you have a big empire with vassal kings, then the huge CoA is for the capital county the emperor has chosen as his capital county. A slightly smaller CoA denotes where a vassal king has his capital, and even smaller CoA for vassal dukes capitals, and another step smaller show the capital of counts. Now, some provinces might not have CoAs over them, because they are owned by an emperor/king/duke, or a count with more than one county, who has his capital elsewhere.

Dark clouds show that the province in question is currently suffering from a disease outbreak. This can be important information if you're leading an army through the region. That army's commanders are likely to pick up the disease if you march your troops through that county. And the county's supply limit also goes down, which might lead to (increased) attrition for your troops if you want to siege the county.

The stacks of grain/food show the prosperity level of the province. A county with high prosperity gives you more in taxes, and can have some beneficial events firing for it (most notably the event that increases the number of holding slots for counties that can't already have 7 holdings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

So a couple of questions. I've been starting new game after new game because that period of time seems to be the most fun. Is the general flow of the game to kinda put people on your council, gets your kids married, and then just let the days tick by until a cool story box pops up? What else should I actively be doing? I made myself a lustful Petty King whose trying to seduce his way up the social latter by getting in the skirts of the queen of Norway and England.

Also, when looking for a Witcher universe mod, the mod "After the End" was suggested. I looked it up and it looks more Fallout than Witcher. It looks cool as hell, but not sure how it's Witchery.

And lastly, are there any mods that dramatically extend the end time of the game? Something that starts with the Vikings and then goes into an "After the End" type scenario through all thousand years or so?

General flow of the game:

1. Have a short-term goal. This could be acquiring the last county you need to form a duchy title, or acquiring enough gold to build an upgrade you need, or killing a rival/threat, etc.
2. Less important for newer players, but have a long-term goal like forming an empire, acquiring all the de jure territory of your title of choice, putting your dynasty on neighboring thrones, etc.

Just keep those in mind when you're playing. There are times when all you can really do is let the days pass until something happens. Having multiple short-term goals helps mitigate the waiting time.

As for your other question about starting date, I would recommend 1066 or later for a new player. The earlier start dates are fun (I almost always do the Old Gods start), but there's a lot of raiding going on and the tech levels are lower which limit your options.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All great advice, thank you!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
As someone who is also fairly inexperienced at CK2, I also often wonder if I'm playing the game 'the right way.' I kind of have some nebulous idea of what I'd like to do and then I just press unpause and set it to the second slowest speed setting and wait for stuff to happen. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do or not.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Montalvo posted:

I just press unpause and set it to the second slowest speed setting and wait for stuff to happen. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do or not.

Did you mean second fastest? That's what I do anyway and in another thread that or faster seemed to be common practice. I only slow down when a lot is happening. But I make sure I'm notified when decisions (about pilgrimages etc) become available, and I have customized various messages to pause the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I use the second slowest speed as well. I’m too afraid poo poo will get out of my control and I like to read my Kingdoms emails without feeling under pressure. I’m sure with time that knowledge of the game’s mechanics will trump fear.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

I use the second slowest speed as well. I’m too afraid poo poo will get out of my control and I like to read my Kingdoms emails without feeling under pressure. I’m sure with time that knowledge of the game’s mechanics will trump fear.

Yeah, this. I go with second slowest; second fastest just makes me feel like too much is going on at once.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I usually use second fastest + pause (and a bit slower during war).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Ostensibly the object of the game is to make your score go up as much as possible so as long as you are gaining prestige and piety you are doing it right.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Note to self, having the Queen get married and then handing her husband a bishop-county will accidentally render her single. That seems like one of those accidents that could come in handy later.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009
For newer players one trick that comes in handy is learning about adjusting the priority of messages.
You can adjust whether something pops up as a notification or is relegated to your spam folder so you get less obtrusive messages at higher speeds.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Started again as the Irish Petty king of moo moo. I immediately went to war to press my Dijon claim and won. Boner enhanced. Now to breed genius devil worshippers bastards.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Imagine how scared folks would be to plot against Bran. His spy network is closing his eyes.

Edit: mean to post this in the GoT thread. Stupid phone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it basically works here tho

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Also, whilst I am asking about game rules, how do you all generally feel about that Jade Dragon CBs? When I first got to access them, I honestly turned the county claim one off, as I felt like with no Defensive Pacts, it was a bit too potent. I can appreciate people not wishing to gently caress around and have to wait for an RNG, but there was a charm in not having an instant CB.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I leave them on, the only ones I really use are force vassalization and the ducal conquest. They're nice to have in the back pocket, but the way I play, I find they are too expensive and unnecessary.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-124-recommended-characters-in-the-iron-century.1179365/

We're getting dev diaries every day of the week this week, and of interest is that the Fatimids are now getting a bloodline and it looks like there will be an Alfred the Great Bloodline.

The Qarmatians also have a unique heresy, which looks like Viking Islam.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Also, whilst I am asking about game rules, how do you all generally feel about that Jade Dragon CBs? When I first got to access them, I honestly turned the county claim one off, as I felt like with no Defensive Pacts, it was a bit too potent. I can appreciate people not wishing to gently caress around and have to wait for an RNG, but there was a charm in not having an instant CB.

which claim county are you talking about? county conquest is absolutely vital to pagans getting any traction at all, and ducal conquest/border dispute both have very, very high costs that limit their usage heavily.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

which claim county are you talking about? county conquest is absolutely vital to pagans getting any traction at all, and ducal conquest/border dispute both have very, very high costs that limit their usage heavily.

County conquest is definitely not jade dragon. Ducal conquest is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i always play with JD on so i can never remember which CBs are included in it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It really gets confusing in After the End where it gives everybody access to all the CBs, Makes things extra chaotic.

Jade Dragon kinda plugs a hole that was made after the groups that already had tons of subjugation and county conquest CBs were really dominating the game. If you've really stalled out and can't figure out anything, go spend a usurious amount of money and prestige and you can push your borders. One of these days I'm going to start using the Jade Dragon Tributary State CB, it sounds cool.

Also, it may not actually come up much, but if the pope loves you or you've got a neighbor who he hates or is excommunicated, you can ask the Pope for some claims on their titles and territory. It can be stupidly powerful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tributary is the best CB there is. Old Tribal Invasion was better, but the new one isn't as good anymore.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

Tributary is the best CB there is. Old Tribal Invasion was better, but the new one isn't as good anymore.

It's just as good, you just never get to have it anymore.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Establish Tributary State actually sucks really hard in most cases. the upshot is that you get both income AND levy supply from the subjugated power, but the bad part is that you cannot call them into war, but they CAN call you into war. AIs do not count a suzerain when considering whether or not to go to war against someone, so if the tributary state you are considering is in ANY WAY at risk, you're going to be called to arms a fair bit to keep them under you. and if they're not at risk, why are you establishing a tributary state versus just flat out vassalizing them?

the main answer for me in that respect has been if the state is in a butthole part of the map that you don't want to be bothered with on a regular basis. if you are in the british isles, iceland makes an ideal tributary state. conquer it, stuff it full of your dynasts, grant them independence, and then make them a tributary state when the truce ends. nobody wants to loving deal with iceland, its counties aren't great, it's in the middle of nowhere, and its only distinguishing characteristic is that it's safe from the black death. western africa also makes a great tributary state if you are not a merchant republic. it will be pretty rich due to the trans-saharan trade routes but dealing with that area is a complete pain for most of the game due to the frequent droughts and flooding. the AI doesn't prioritize the area in any way and it's only locals that will give anyone problems, so it makes sense to subjugate the area, unite it, stuff it with your dynasts, and then let them go, turning them into a tributary state thereafter.

extort tribute, on the other hand, is an amazing CB and if you haven't used it much hoo boy do you have such wonders to see.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Established tributary is a pain in the dick and should only be used for teeny tiny stable countries. You dont establish the byzantines. Extort yes, establish no.

Extorting tributaries is how you form your kingdom before you form your kingdom.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Coolguye posted:

They probably mean border dispute.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

western africa also makes a great tributary state if you are not a merchant republic. it will be pretty rich due to the trans-saharan trade routes but dealing with that area is a complete pain for most of the game due to the frequent droughts and flooding. the AI doesn't prioritize the area in any way and it's only locals that will give anyone problems, so it makes sense to subjugate the area, unite it, stuff it with your dynasts, and then let them go, turning them into a tributary state thereafter.

West Africa is trash for the whole game unless you personally hold a bunch of the key trade post counties yourself for a few decades to get some tech flowing through the trade route.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Montalvo posted:

As someone who is also fairly inexperienced at CK2, I also often wonder if I'm playing the game 'the right way.' I kind of have some nebulous idea of what I'd like to do and then I just press unpause and set it to the second slowest speed setting and wait for stuff to happen. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do or not.

The beauty of a game like CK2 is that there really isn't a "right way" to play the game. Play it how you want, nobody cares.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Couple of dumb Great Works related questions. I acquired Stonehenge as part of my ongoing efforts to thrash England, but it's damaged and I get nothing out of it. Is there a specific button to begin restoration? Similarly I'd like to upgrade my Great Library from stage 1, but I'm not seeing where the option would be located.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Couple of dumb Great Works related questions. I acquired Stonehenge as part of my ongoing efforts to thrash England, but it's damaged and I get nothing out of it. Is there a specific button to begin restoration? Similarly I'd like to upgrade my Great Library from stage 1, but I'm not seeing where the option would be located.

Stonehenge won't do anything for you if you're Christian. Pagans can restore it. You can upgrade your other Great Work from the Great Work menu which you can open from your character sheet.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Got it. Now if I could figure out a way to stop random rear end vassals getting me excommunicated *from their prison cell*, when I'm sitting on thousands of Piety thanks to the Crusades, when I've had my chaplain kissing the Pope's rear end for decades...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I started another new game as Harald during the Viking start. He has an army just kinda chillin in a county of his, and he's the army leader. When I check the levies screen, none are raised and I don't see anything under retinues. Is this Norse-specific, or is there a reason this army exists? Is there a part of the UI i'm missing that explains these dudes?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

chaosapiant posted:

So I started another new game as Harald during the Viking start. He has an army just kinda chillin in a county of his, and he's the army leader. When I check the levies screen, none are raised and I don't see anything under retinues. Is this Norse-specific, or is there a reason this army exists? Is there a part of the UI i'm missing that explains these dudes?

Some people get special event troops that are just kinda there, and free. I think Harald historically created the first unified Norway, so they beefed up his troop count a bit to align with that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Some people get special event troops that are just kinda there, and free. I think Harald historically created the first unified Norway, so they beefed up his troop count a bit to align with that.

Ok, I can roll with that. Thanks!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Got it. Now if I could figure out a way to stop random rear end vassals getting me excommunicated *from their prison cell*, when I'm sitting on thousands of Piety thanks to the Crusades, when I've had my chaplain kissing the Pope's rear end for decades...

Monastic orders or install an anti-pope in Rome.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any UI scaling mods that, when used, don't just blow up the UI and make it blurry? Using anything above 1.2 in the IE scaling options causes everything to start looking a bit fuzzy. I'd like an interface that is of similar size/readability to the one used in Imperator: Rome.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I'm playing as Gotland for my first ever merchant republic and I think I've done a recent job of making some money for my family. The character I started as died suddenly due to some plague and now my son isn't the lord mayor anymore, meaning that I naturally have to pick off all the other competitors in the mayoral race and then kill the current lord mayor himself. Beyond just trying to increase my state intrigue as much as possible and have my spymaster scheme in Gotland, is there much else I can do besides start plots and wait? I also give monetary gifts to plot power people so they'll join.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Montalvo posted:

So I'm playing as Gotland for my first ever merchant republic and I think I've done a recent job of making some money for my family. The character I started as died suddenly due to some plague and now my son isn't the lord mayor anymore, meaning that I naturally have to pick off all the other competitors in the mayoral race and then kill the current lord mayor himself. Beyond just trying to increase my state intrigue as much as possible and have my spymaster scheme in Gotland, is there much else I can do besides start plots and wait? I also give monetary gifts to plot power people so they'll join.

you can take the war focus and antagonize your targets until you can duel them. but beyond that not really, merchant republics don't have a ton of depth to them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Montalvo posted:

Pick the seduction focus and seduce women in the target's court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Montalvo posted:

Put that money to your campaign fund, and focus on intrigue. Spying on electoral competitors with the highest scores usually gives you some good options, as well as boosting your plot power.