Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hoppe's No 9 gun cleaner also works well.

Do you run No 9 though the brush? I bought a bottle of it but haven't tried using it on my ai brush yet. Wasn't sure how I should utilize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bucnasti posted:

Do you run No 9 though the brush? I bought a bottle of it but haven't tried using it on my ai brush yet. Wasn't sure how I should utilize it.

I normally dip the needle into it, then push it in and out of the airbrush brass tip. It kills anything in there that doesn't die with airbrush cleaner.

I know, I know, next level painting, blah blah - but: this is a very good how-to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-iuigiL8U&t=378s

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
"So, Tadhg, what did you do today?"

"Oh, you know--" :fap:

https://i.imgur.com/CKv7A9l.gifv

for 100+ dropper bottles of paint.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tadhg posted:

"So, Tadhg, what did you do today?"

"Oh, you know--" :fap:

https://i.imgur.com/CKv7A9l.gifv

for 100+ dropper bottles of paint.

lmao, nice

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ghazk posted:

X-Post from the 30k thread! Since January I put together White Scars and Alpha Legion Heresy Armies inspired by the recent Malevolence book release featuring a large campaign pitting those forces against each other during the opening stages of the Horus Heresy.
Everything in that post is amazing. Holy crap.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

I normally dip the needle into it, then push it in and out of the airbrush brass tip. It kills anything in there that doesn't die with airbrush cleaner.

I know, I know, next level painting, blah blah - but: this is a very good how-to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-iuigiL8U&t=378s

Same here.

What's wrong with Next Level Painting?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him beyond his entire shtick being a bit insufferable.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm going to get baby's first pigment weathering supplies. What kind of fixative do you nerds recommend, or should I just take my chances and hope I can varnish over whatever I put down?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm going to get baby's first pigment weathering supplies. What kind of fixative do you nerds recommend, or should I just take my chances and hope I can varnish over whatever I put down?

I use "odorless" mineral spirits as a fixative, but even with that I sometimes find that if I varnish with a spray can (I'm generally a Dull-Cote man) it can blast some of the pigments away. The real solution is to apply your final varnish coat at very low pressure out of an airbrush, but I am usually too lazy to do this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ilor posted:

I use "odorless" mineral spirits as a fixative, but even with that I sometimes find that if I varnish with a spray can (I'm generally a Dull-Cote man) it can blast some of the pigments away. The real solution is to apply your final varnish coat at very low pressure out of an airbrush, but I am usually too lazy to do this.

I basically only airbrush these days, so that's actually good news. Thanks!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone here live in the UK and know of a place called Northumbrian Miniatures? They make some really cool goblins and, more recently, redwall-style animal folk. I tried ordering some goblins from them a year or two ago but they were never able to get them to me (i'm in the US, massachusetts) despite them claiming to have tried a few times.

Anyway I really want both of these limited edition beastfolk kits and I was wondering if I could somehow convince a UK hobbyist to get me some from them and then work out a pricier/more reliable shipping method.

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/product/guardians-of-the-riverbank/

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/product/murder-of-crows/

Hopefully this sort of thing is allowed - I'd love me some of these minis. PM if this is something that sounds feasible to you.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can't help (Canada) but those look awesome

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
Who's putting out good tutorials these days? I know Massive Voodoo is still up, but loads of the painting blog links I have have died since I last painted miniatures.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Marzipan Pig posted:

Who's putting out good tutorials these days? I know Massive Voodoo is still up, but loads of the painting blog links I have have died since I last painted miniatures.

They've all moved to Instagram, Youtube and Patreon

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Marzipan Pig posted:

Vince Venturella on youtube is great if you don't mind hour long, minimally edited videos.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
This is my first attempt at using a light box and i was hoping for some feedback and possibly some tips.

My setup is 3 LED lamps, sides and top, in a homemade box. Im limited to the camera on a galaxy s6.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Speckled Jim posted:

This is my first attempt at using a light box and i was hoping for some feedback and possibly some tips.

My setup is 3 LED lamps, sides and top, in a homemade box. Im limited to the camera on a galaxy s6.

I have no tips because this looks fantastic. Sharp focus and the colors are vibrant.

Beautiful paint job, by the way.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You might want to add another overhead light to get two angles from the top, but other than that it looks great.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here.

Booley posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with him beyond his entire shtick being a bit insufferable.

I think he's the best source online for learning how to airbrush well, if you start watching his videos at around the beginning of 2016 and continue until, uh... let's say halfway through 2018. His 2015 videos are of somewhat lower quality (like, the techniques are sound but that was his first year doing videos and didn't have as good a camera setup yet, I don't think?) and past some point in 2018 he sort of dropped off on producing content consistently and his videos have become shorter and more cursory. But there's a whole two and a half year stretch there where the lessons he was putting out do not have equals.

But his shtick.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 21, 2019

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Speckled Jim posted:

I just want to know what that gorgeous Teal is, and how it ended up so silky smooth.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Shockeh posted:

I just want to know what that gorgeous Teal is, and how it ended up so silky smooth.

Looks like the Tamiya clear blue and clear green to me

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Speckled Jim posted:

This looks great! All I'd suggest is running it through your phone's auto-color correction and cropping out the background seams.

This is how it looked on my phone with about 20 seconds' work:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The French Army posted:

As promised, here are some shots of my Howling Griffons. Ever since I first learned about them back in 2012 I always wanted to have an army of them and after a few abortive attempts I got rolling on them in 2014. It's all hand painted and layered. I did not use an airbrush, water transfer decals or printed banners. I started working on this army when I was flat broke. I got almost every model used, dismantled and stripped them before rebuilding them. Most of the Marines are combined Chaos and Imperial bits.

Anyway, have a few pictures:

Sternguard veteran squad.

Assault Terminators. I use these guys in nearly every game.

Drop pods, from the heady days of 7th edition. Now they collect dust on my shelf.

Sniper scouts. I have tons more of these guys now. Also that grey Marine on top of the brown ink in the upper left is one of the first models I ever painted. I keep it on my desk as a reminder that we all start somewhere.

It's not a Howling Griffons army without Chaplain-Confessor Titus.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mdOS9Z5.jpg[/tmg]

Stormraven. Titus's personal pimpmobile.

This is a progress shot of the banner for a Chaplain in power armor.

This guy is a rad dude.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Speckled Jim posted:

That is cool as hell! What paint are you using there?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I know I'm late to this but hot drat, Howling Griffons look so good when done well. One day I'll work up the courage to give them a try myself.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Flying rave pyramid

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lighting effects are always an A+ maneuver. Hell yes.

Small suggestion: make it throb a liiiiittle slower, and don’t go all the way off, do like [25-100%]

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 22, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I painted up some Athenians for Mortal Gods!

Basically a single sprue of the Victrix armored Athenian Hoplites. I wasn't sure about the sculpts at first, but they grew on me as I worked on them.

The little big men studios transfers are really hard to work with, I don't think I like them very much. There might be some technique to getting the edges to stay down that I'm unaware of.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I painted up some Athenians for Mortal Gods!

Basically a single sprue of the Victrix armored Athenian Hoplites. I wasn't sure about the sculpts at first, but they grew on me as I worked on them.

The little big men studios transfers are really hard to work with, I don't think I like them very much. There might be some technique to getting the edges to stay down that I'm unaware of.

Those look awesome- bronze/brass is my favorite metallic style.

And if the transfers on the shields are anything like putting space marine decals on rounded shoulder pads, it helps to cut small wedges out of the decal with a hobby knife before applying it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

LBM transfers work a bit differently, they have a sticky side and they go on more like stickers than waterslide transfers. They're a pain in the arse to work with, which is a bit disappointing as so many mini manufacturers for historicals make them their go-to.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A friend in chat asked about Kingdom Death, and I did some searching to refresh my memory. One of the searches came up with this:

:nws: because of plastic boobs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingdom-De...QsAAOSwGoBb0te7

You can get a knockoff print from China for $7-20, and it looks like an original goes for as much as $80. This guy's trying to sell his 'Pro Painted' one for $150 (figure only, so probably a reprint), and it looks pretty bad. Some of his other work is far worse:

:nws: because of crudely painted nipples and genitalia
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinity-T...A8AAOSwZltb9sgF
I don't know if the base is supposed to look like it was pulled from the mold before it cooled or if he got a really lovely reprint; can't find any good pictures of the original mini. I do know she's supposed to just be wearing a plain white bodysuit, though.

I've only ever painted 3 miniatures, at the free painting thing a miniatures/paint company did at PAX for a while, and you're limited to about an hour each go, with limited, shared tools & paints.
I think I did a better job.
Some of his other work looks better, like the space marines. I think he might be going for a comic-book-shading aesthetic, but it fails really badly on the basically-naked minis (or he's just incompetent at shading and highlights). But comparing them to just a few of the posts above me, it's laughable to call it 'pro painted'. Especially if he's been doing this for 44 years. He claims the camera distorts the color and blurs the details to try and excuse the quality.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ignite Memories posted:

Does anyone here live in the UK and know of a place called Northumbrian Miniatures? They make some really cool goblins and, more recently, redwall-style animal folk. I tried ordering some goblins from them a year or two ago but they were never able to get them to me (i'm in the US, massachusetts) despite them claiming to have tried a few times.

Anyway I really want both of these limited edition beastfolk kits and I was wondering if I could somehow convince a UK hobbyist to get me some from them and then work out a pricier/more reliable shipping method.

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/product/guardians-of-the-riverbank/

https://www.northumbriantinsoldier.com/product/murder-of-crows/

Hopefully this sort of thing is allowed - I'd love me some of these minis. PM if this is something that sounds feasible to you.

Not in the UK but if you can have them shipped to France, I could then FedEx them to you (my office has a fairly good deal with FedEx as we ship tons of stuff). I realize this is not the cheapest way but it is a way. Up to you!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

A friend in chat asked about Kingdom Death, and I did some searching to refresh my memory. One of the searches came up with this:

:nws: because of plastic boobs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingdom-De...QsAAOSwGoBb0te7

You can get a knockoff print from China for $7-20, and it looks like an original goes for as much as $80. This guy's trying to sell his 'Pro Painted' one for $150 (figure only, so probably a reprint), and it looks pretty bad. Some of his other work is far worse:

Ebay is definitely an abyss of "pro" paintjobs mediocre-to-bad enough that they only really serve to reduce the value of the miniature.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

The Moon Monster posted:

Ebay is definitely an abyss of "pro" paintjobs mediocre-to-bad enough that they only really serve to reduce the value of the miniature.

When you msg people selling "pro painted" stuff for 150% market+ with an offer of 50%-60% market with the explanation that it'll take time and work to strip and scrape the caked-on paint off they just get so lovely.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I picked up the Severina Raine warhams celebratory miniature the other day, and to my consternation, it's made from resin, which I've never touched before now. I browsed the OP, but I didn't see anything on how to handle resin figures. How do I go about building and painting this mini? I'm pretty confident plastic cement won't do a lick of good, but other than that, I'm a bit clueless.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think superglue is what you need for resin. Unlike the ForgeWorld resin I don't think you need to do any washing with the resin that GW uses for the limited edition models.
You can just paint it like normal plastic.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Use hot water to shift any wonky bits back into place (e.g. swords) and use some warm soapy water to clean off any mould residue. After that prime and paint as normal.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Count_Brass posted:

Use hot water to shift any wonky bits back into place (e.g. swords) ...

How do I do that? Because there's some serious wonk going on with the poor girl's weapons :)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

inscrutable horse posted:

How do I do that? Because there's some serious wonk going on with the poor girl's weapons :)

Get two bowls. Put hot (not boiling) water in one and cold in the other. Hold the offending sword/whatever in the hot water. Pull it out after 10 seconds or so and see if it is soft. If it isn't, put it back in. When it eventually gets soft enough to bend - bend it straight and then dunk it in the cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Excellent, thank you!