Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bonzo posted:

You're going to need to be a parent here and demand it. Or start saving for tinnus treatments.

Oh yes, I mean, the choice will be "use this" and "no drums", not "use this" and "suffer hearing damage".

shortspecialbus posted:

Find pictures of professional rock drummers wearing ear protection, there's plenty of it out there - that should help with that.

Not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah without question, never let him touch the things without earplugs, or if that's too much to ask of a 5yr old then noise canceling headphones of some kind. It's not like spraining your ankle or breaking a bone, once your hearing is damaged it's lifelong :(

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I rarely wear ear protection or wore ear protection since I started playing in my teens. No major complaints but nowadays I do, especially when I’m in a small room/club and I can feel how loud it is. Wish I made myself do it more when I was younger. Could have prevented me from being an overly hard player attempting to hear my kit over blaring guitars. Ear protection at least let’s you hear yourself a bit better.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If you can get them in the habit now it'll probably stick with them for the rest of their life, just like how it never even occurs to me to not put my seatbelt on when I get in a car.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

silvergoose posted:

Oh yes, I mean, the choice will be "use this" and "no drums", not "use this" and "suffer hearing damage".

Not a bad idea.

Maybe show him pictures of drummers using ear monitors

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Maybe show him pictures of drummers using ear monitors

ngl I have no need for custom molded in ear monitors, but drat if I don't want a pair because of how cool they look/how cool I feel they'd make me look. I've been trying to convince the cover band to start using backing tracks, but the guitarist hates them :(

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Jazz Marimba posted:

ngl I have no need for custom molded in ear monitors, but drat if I don't want a pair because of how cool they look/how cool I feel they'd make me look. I've been trying to convince the cover band to start using backing tracks, but the guitarist hates them :(

I have some no frills shure in-ears that I like. Played with a coverband once and their stage setup was all in-ears and no stage monitors. Weiiird experience.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So my Roland TD-17KV came and I started putting it all together last night before bed. One thing I thought of is I'm not exactly sure how to place everything. I watched a video from Roland UK on it that was marginally useful, and obviously I can try to set up everything to be comfortable, but I'm worried I'll set it up in a way that gives me bad habits or makes RSI more likely or something.

Google had a lot of resources on this to a point, but you m not exactly confident. This thing is pretty customizable - it's the compact stand, for what that might matter.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

So my Roland TD-17KV came and I started putting it all together last night before bed. One thing I thought of is I'm not exactly sure how to place everything. I watched a video from Roland UK on it that was marginally useful, and obviously I can try to set up everything to be comfortable, but I'm worried I'll set it up in a way that gives me bad habits or makes RSI more likely or something.

Google had a lot of resources on this to a point, but you m not exactly confident. This thing is pretty customizable - it's the compact stand, for what that might matter.

It's harder with an e-kit cuz there's no snare stand much body to the snare pad, but start by sitting on the throne. Make sure you're at a height where your knees are at a little more than a 90° angle so you're not cutting off circulation to your lower extremities.

Then put the bass pedal under your right foot, making sure your foot is in line with your thigh. Pretend the snare is real and has a stand, forcing your left leg to the left. Your legs should be open ~50-70°. Slide the hi hat pedal under your left foot.

If your arms are hanging from your shoulders and your elbows are at a 90°, the center of the snare should be at the tips of your sticks. Everything else should be in a semi-circle around you. Your instinct might be to position everything as close to you as possible, especially the "floor" tom(s). Ignore that. The problem with this will be most noticable with floor toms: you'll need to twist your spine and pull your elbow behind your torso, both of which are slow movements, the former of which is damaging.

Pic is my roommate's kit, but he's moving out at the end of the month :(

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 20, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

It's harder with an e-kit cuz there's no snare stand much body to the snare pad, but start by sitting on the throne. Make sure you're at a height where your knees are at a little more than a 90° angle so you're not cutting off circulation to your lower extremities.

Then put the bass pedal under your right foot, making sure your foot is in line with your thigh. Pretend the snare is real and has a stand, forcing your left leg to the left. Your legs should be open ~50-70°. Slide the hi hat pedal under your left foot.

If your arms are hanging from your shoulders and your elbows are at a 90°, the center of the snare should be at the tips of your sticks. Everything else should be in a semi-circle around you. Your instinct might be to position everything as close to you as possible, especially the "floor" tom(s). Ignore that. The problem with this will be most noticable with floor toms: you'll need to twist your spine and pull your elbow behind your torso, both of which are slow movements, the former of which is damaging.

Pic is my roommate's kit, but he's moving out at the end of the month :(

Thank you, that's really helpful. It's neat that it's really customizable and everything but it's sort of way too many options if I don't really have any experience on anything that isn't, like, rock band pro drums or whatever.

Edit: Pros/cons to putting Tom 2 on the upper rack with Tom 1 vs the lower rack on the right with the floor tom? I had upper for now but nothing is in the right spot and that's just where the manual had it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

shortspecialbus posted:

Thank you, that's really helpful. It's neat that it's really customizable and everything but it's sort of way too many options if I don't really have any experience on anything that isn't, like, rock band pro drums or whatever.

Edit: Pros/cons to putting Tom 2 on the upper rack with Tom 1 vs the lower rack on the right with the floor tom? I had upper for now but nothing is in the right spot and that's just where the manual had it.

Two upper and one floor is the standard, traditional set up

One upper and one floor is for jazz

One upper and two floor is for...???
Probably heavy metal and anything ending with a -core would be my guess. TBH I've never really encountered one regular tom and multiple floor toms! Definitely curious about that setup.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

1 up 2 down is fairly common these days. Definitely leans towards the heavier side of thing but it's basically just to get more bottom end for whatever you want that for. Also means you can still have your ride pulled in close if that's your thing. I only have 1u1d but have played a few kits with double floor toms and really enjoyed it.

For an electric kit you can put the sounds where you want so go wild!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I started off playing 2/1 because of rock music, but when I started learning jazz I switched to 1/1. I started doing contemporary rock musicals and switched back to 2/1, but didn't like how far away the ride was or that I had to have both rack toms super high up so they weren't scratching up the bass drum. I switched back to 1/1 because honestly no one's gonna be able to tell the difference in any improvised fills, or the literally two fills in my cover band's three hour set.

This e-kit belongs to the guitarist in my mathmetal band (he plays drums in some other bands) and he does 0/2 because for him the extra work of mounting a rack tom and trying to position it is a waste of time when you could just set another floor tom next to you and be done with it. I'm inclined to agree, plus I wanted a 14" floor tom for jazz, so I drilled some holes in my 14" rack tom (jeez, who even? that thing was always tipping stands over) and made it into a floor tom.

I do 1/2 for the mathmetal band now cuz I still like the rack tom (in a snare stand though, so I can have it lower+faster to get to), and it'll allow me to put my SPD-SX closer when I finally get a real stand for it instead of using a tv dinner stand off to my left

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I started with 1/1, went to 2/2, my main kit right now is 1/2 and I mostly play jazz so y'know no rules for drumming and all that

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Learned on 2/1, then made the inefficient decision to simultaneously buy bigger drums and go 2/2. It took me like a week to figure out where to put things and I was still making small adjustments a month later. Now that I'm not contorting myself to reach everything I do really like having 2 floor toms. I've always liked lower thumpier tones for my drums in general, and being able to ride on the lowest tom and still play 3-drum sweeps or fills without repeating notes is nice.

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfuWjqnX28

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

New question! Bass beater is a bit "bouncy" and prone to double hits if I do what's more comfortable for me and leave the pedal pressed between hits with the beater resting on the pad. I tried adjusting spring tension on the tama pedal (I think it's a cobra or something like that, I'm using the nylon side rather than the felt side) and it didn't help much. I think I have two options - one is to tighten or loosen the mesh for the bass drum pad. According to the internet, one or the other might help. But I'm not sure the KD-10 is actually adjustable like that. Second option is to mess with some trigger setting and add a sleep of a sort to prevent overly rapid hits. Since I have a single pedal and don't intend to start playing speed metal anytime soon, this is probably the way to go. But I wanted to ask if there are other options I'm not finding or if you guys have better opinions than the internet at large on this.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

New question! Bass beater is a bit "bouncy" and prone to double hits if I do what's more comfortable for me and leave the pedal pressed between hits with the beater resting on the pad. I tried adjusting spring tension on the tama pedal (I think it's a cobra or something like that, I'm using the nylon side rather than the felt side) and it didn't help much. I think I have two options - one is to tighten or loosen the mesh for the bass drum pad. According to the internet, one or the other might help. But I'm not sure the KD-10 is actually adjustable like that. Second option is to mess with some trigger setting and add a sleep of a sort to prevent overly rapid hits. Since I have a single pedal and don't intend to start playing speed metal anytime soon, this is probably the way to go. But I wanted to ask if there are other options I'm not finding or if you guys have better opinions than the internet at large on this.

Drop more leg weight onto your foot and into the pedal. Bury the beater in the pad.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

Drop more leg weight onto your foot and into the pedal. Bury the beater in the pad.

I'll try that. I'm slightly limited here by a back disability that has some effects on my right leg and this, but I can probably work it out if that's what's needed. THanks!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Real life's been coming at me hard lately so I haven't touched my drums in a while, but the last thing I was working on was quicker single pedal bass hits. Looking around online/Youtube it seems like the universally accepted solution for this is to learn to play heel-up. In my case that's going to involve learning to hold my right leg a lot higher up rather than resting it on the floor and only raising it before actually playing notes.

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0383ztb6ed4

But it seems like heel-up in general would make it easier to rest with the beater not touching the drum.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Real life's been coming at me hard lately so I haven't touched my drums in a while, but the last thing I was working on was quicker single pedal bass hits. Looking around online/Youtube it seems like the universally accepted solution for this is to learn to play heel-up. In my case that's going to involve learning to hold my right leg a lot higher up rather than resting it on the floor and only raising it before actually playing notes.

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0383ztb6ed4

But it seems like heel-up in general would make it easier to rest with the beater not touching the drum.

That's where I start getting pain. It's probably going to be a limitation for me, I fear. We'll see! I tried some stuff a bit ago, focusing on keeping it pressed harder, and it went pretty well. I only started getting bounces once my leg started getting tired. If only the bass drum used my clutch leg.

In the meantime I need to figure out how to make my right hand stop needing to hit something every time my right foot does so that I can have bass hits in between hi-hat beats. My friend who drums said I should do paradiddles with my right hand and right foot but I told him I was a happily married man and he should find someone else for his kinky sex things.

Then I did some more stick control and tried using my right foot where it said to use the left hand and it kind of helped but I probably need to do it a trillion more times.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

shortspecialbus posted:

Then I did some more stick control and tried using my right foot where it said to use the left hand and it kind of helped but I probably need to do it a trillion more times.

Re: DRUM SET AND PERCUSSION MEGATHREAD: I probably need to do it a trillion more times

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Has anyone heard any "real world" feedback of the Mimic Pro from Pearl?

https://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronics/mimic-pro-module/

Just wonder if that's worth it or just use something like Toontrack.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Has anyone heard any "real world" feedback of the Mimic Pro from Pearl?

https://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronics/mimic-pro-module/

Just wonder if that's worth it or just use something like Toontrack.

I'm very new at all of this but have been doing some research. From what I gather, the main appeal of the Mimic Pro over using a VST like Superior Drummer 3 or something is just that it's a slight hassle to have to load it all up, plus it doesn't necessarily work that well for live shows, although you could probably make a laptop work. It is some more things to go wrong though. I experimented a little bit with playing via midi through SD3 and it sounded really good but my monitor speakers that the computer is hooked up to aren't really that close to the drums and so it was slightly odd. I also would need a headphone extender to reach the Line6 Helix, which I'm using as the audio device for the computer, so I wasn't able to test that. I also felt that there might have been a miniscule but maybe-perceptible-if-you-were-looking-for-it audio delay with all of that, but I'd want to do some more testing - I might have just been expecting to have a delay. For me the downside at the moment is just that it's a bit impractical to play SD3 through my Roland PM-200 and the monitor speakers are a bit far away and lacking in bass.

That said, unless there actually is a delay or I was actually doing live shows and didn't want to risk extra failure points, I don't see how I could possibly justify >$2k on the Mimic Pro when SD3 sounds really good as well and to be honest for my learning, the built-in "Acoustic" drum sound on the TD-17 works perfectly fine for practice. I can use SD3 for recording even better than I could use the Mimic Pro because I can gently caress with it all after playing it to see what sounds best in the mix.

Sort of a tl;dr: The reports I've heard are that the Mimic Pro is really nice, basically a good VST-in-a-box, but I can't see a need for it unless you're playing live and don't want to risk failure points.

Second disclaimer: I've been drumming for all of a week. I just happened to do some research into it at one point.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm very new at all of this but have been doing some research. From what I gather, the main appeal of the Mimic Pro over using a VST like Superior Drummer 3 or something is just that it's a slight hassle to have to load it all up, plus it doesn't necessarily work that well for live shows, although you could probably make a laptop work. It is some more things to go wrong though. I experimented a little bit with playing via midi through SD3 and it sounded really good but my monitor speakers that the computer is hooked up to aren't really that close to the drums and so it was slightly odd. I also would need a headphone extender to reach the Line6 Helix, which I'm using as the audio device for the computer, so I wasn't able to test that. I also felt that there might have been a miniscule but maybe-perceptible-if-you-were-looking-for-it audio delay with all of that, but I'd want to do some more testing - I might have just been expecting to have a delay. For me the downside at the moment is just that it's a bit impractical to play SD3 through my Roland PM-200 and the monitor speakers are a bit far away and lacking in bass.

That said, unless there actually is a delay or I was actually doing live shows and didn't want to risk extra failure points, I don't see how I could possibly justify >$2k on the Mimic Pro when SD3 sounds really good as well and to be honest for my learning, the built-in "Acoustic" drum sound on the TD-17 works perfectly fine for practice. I can use SD3 for recording even better than I could use the Mimic Pro because I can gently caress with it all after playing it to see what sounds best in the mix.

Sort of a tl;dr: The reports I've heard are that the Mimic Pro is really nice, basically a good VST-in-a-box, but I can't see a need for it unless you're playing live and don't want to risk failure points.

Second disclaimer: I've been drumming for all of a week. I just happened to do some research into it at one point.

Thanks, that pretty helpful actually. I have the RedBox and ePro kit which I bought used a few years ago. After the novelty wore off I found Redbox to be very limited so I started messing around with VST and found I liked the options better.

The Mimic Pro looked nice but for the price I could almost buy a better Roland kit. I'm not playing live and if I do, I'll use an acoustic kit anyway because I'm not interested in playing large gigs anymore.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

shortspecialbus posted:

In the meantime I need to figure out how to make my right hand stop needing to hit something every time my right foot does so that I can have bass hits in between hi-hat beats.

Hey this is also me! For me what's helped (even if it hasn't completely fixed the problem) was, like your friend said, practise. Just loving training my dumb monkey brain to accept that my right foot and right hand don't always have to work together.

Also, re: legpain. For me adjusting my seat helped. I used to get this pretty bad pain in an inside tendon on my right knee after extended play, but after raising my seat just a few inches helped immensely and no more pain.

Now, a question: I have a Roland TD-1K v-drum set and I get some crosstalk on the ride and crash cymbals. The more expensive Roland sets have crosstalk settings in the drum brain, but this model doesn't. It's mostly a problem for when I want to use my drums as a drum controller for Phase Shift, because the game itself doesn't have crosstalk settings either.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try? I'm thinking maybe I could cut up some innertube and jam that between the cymbal arm and the kit frame.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tell me more about phase shift because it looks at a glance to basically be rock band except I don't have to buy expensive poo poo to get my td-17 to work with it

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Also, any recommendations on any good youtube drum instruction? I've found a few here and there but so far the only good ones wanted you to pay money, which I'm trying to avoid for the moment.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Also, any recommendations on any good youtube drum instruction? I've found a few here and there but so far the only good ones wanted you to pay money, which I'm trying to avoid for the moment.

Just in general or are you looking for a specific things like rudiments, foot control, etc. ?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Just in general or are you looking for a specific things like rudiments, foot control, etc. ?

I'm not sure I know enough yet to give you a good answer to that question. Perhaps that answers your question.

If I had to try to answer, I'd say I found a decent site (I think) for rudiments - 40drumrudiments.com. Foot control I probably need. I have the book stick control and I'm working through that (well, I was before I blew my back out on Sunday which has put everything on hold til I can walk 5 feet without assistance again). So kind of just general drum instruction, maybe something that outlines a good program, shows basic beats in a way that I can follow, and so forth. Some I liked but they were $$ after the first couple videos. Too many would quickly explain the beat and then just do a bunch of flourishes and change it up constantly during the demonstration to the point where I was more confused than when I started.

I guess just in general if anyone has any favorite drum instructors on Youtube. I'm not against paying if it's the best option.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm not sure I know enough yet to give you a good answer to that question. Perhaps that answers your question.

I guess just in general if anyone has any favorite drum instructors on Youtube. I'm not against paying if it's the best option.

Stephen's Drum Shed is great and has a HUGE backlog of videos. He started out doing strictly lessons, but has added fun things and conceptual topics the last couple years. He has a website with a paid members section with even more videos.

Stephen Clark doesn't have much in the way of learning notes, but what does have is way more important: how to play the drums. As in, the physical motions, how to be efficient, how to not injure yourself, etc.

I'm ambivalent about Mike Johnston. He's really good at conveying information and is such a good educator he does clinics all the time, but most of his YouTube lessons are just one measure grooves and licks that don't have much application. He has a website with a paid members section with even more videos.

If you wanna get into tuning and related topics, Sounds Like A Drum is hands-down the best resource on the planet and I will fight you on it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Thank you! You guys are the best!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

shortspecialbus posted:

Tell me more about phase shift because it looks at a glance to basically be rock band except I don't have to buy expensive poo poo to get my td-17 to work with it

Yeah that's about it. It's an indie Rock Band knockoff which supports ~all the plastic instruments and any v-drum kit you can connect to a PC with USB. The commercial release has support for Pro Drums as well, and of course because it's a PC game people have converted all the Rock Band and Guitar Hero songs for it, as well as made their own tracks for a billion other songs as well.

The game is fairly barebones, and doesn't for instance have any kind of crosstalk compensation, but it does what it's supposed to pretty well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've got an update on the 4 year old what wants to get drums for his birthday.

Went to a used music store, asked if he wanted to try out some drums, he said no, just look, and then he had me try some.

Managed to really drill down on what he wants, and what he wants is "toms and a bass drum with a pedal" and he wants to *not* have snare drums. Thinks the sound is scary. Seems okay with cymbals if and only if they are played very gently.

So, uh, that said, I think if I'm getting him anything, it'll probably be one of those amazon sets that has at least a tom and bass? I doubt I can find anything that will be at all useful in the set of "those specific two drums and maybe nothing else", plus if he does actually like them, he'll have to get used to the snare sound anyway.

I don't know if I need any more advice per se, unless there's an option I'm missing, but I just thought it was kinda funny. He likes the boom boom sound and doesn't like the crash or snare. :shrug:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lower the snares and you now have something that sounds like a tom. When it isn't scary anymore, you have a snare drum.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Sounds like you could def get away with an affordable kids drum set for now especially at his age. Yeah, just turn off the snare and you have another tom.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's a question:

Can anyone think of any ways to do anti-ghosting filtering on a Windows PC and still pass the signal on? I started playing Phase Shift with my v-drums, and the game itself doesn't have any anti-ghosting or volume filtering, and it turns out the bass pedal on my Roland set is extremely sensitive to the point that if I shift my foot even slightly while keeping the pedal pressed down, it will trigger as a very weak hit.

I know that if I use my drums on PS4's Rock Band 4, there are programs that can take the USB-MIDI input, filter out soft hits, and pass it on to a MIDI output for the PS4, but I'm looking for a way to intercept it on the PC, and still pass it on to other programs on the same PC.

It's kinda weird, though. I've tested and if I'm just playing the drums by themselves, the bass pedal is perfectly fine, so apparently the drum brain does some kind of filtering on stuff that's going to the audio output, but not the MIDI out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Really stupid question time, but what do you guys like using for footwear? I've got an old pair of running shoes that I use cause they're fairly light, but they are falling apart now and I need to get something else. My normal street shoes feel too heavy when I play.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Really stupid question time, but what do you guys like using for footwear? I've got an old pair of running shoes that I use cause they're fairly light, but they are falling apart now and I need to get something else. My normal street shoes feel too heavy when I play.

I used to wear wrestling shoes because you can flex your foot a little better since you don't have a hard sole.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Here's a question:

Can anyone think of any ways to do anti-ghosting filtering on a Windows PC and still pass the signal on? I started playing Phase Shift with my v-drums, and the game itself doesn't have any anti-ghosting or volume filtering, and it turns out the bass pedal on my Roland set is extremely sensitive to the point that if I shift my foot even slightly while keeping the pedal pressed down, it will trigger as a very weak hit.

I know that if I use my drums on PS4's Rock Band 4, there are programs that can take the USB-MIDI input, filter out soft hits, and pass it on to a MIDI output for the PS4, but I'm looking for a way to intercept it on the PC, and still pass it on to other programs on the same PC.

It's kinda weird, though. I've tested and if I'm just playing the drums by themselves, the bass pedal is perfectly fine, so apparently the drum brain does some kind of filtering on stuff that's going to the audio output, but not the MIDI out.

You could probably do this with reaper (or any other DAW) and a plug-in and sends and such but I don't know the specifics.

Also my Roland TD-17 has some advanced options that can throw out hits that happen too quick and such, and it definitely didn't pass them on anyways when I was using SD3, so you could look into that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Enos Cabell posted:

Always a pair of flat sole adidas or pumas. Chuck Taylor’s work too. Just nothing with too thick of a sole. My giant size 13 foot is already a problem, best to keep the shoe slim and comfortable.