Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

My reading of it is that a) the W&G core book will get a reprint with errata and revisions (excellent news as far as I'm concerned) and b) the supplement line will revisit subject matter the FFG line did, so we might be looking at supplements focused on Rogue Trader action or the Calixis Sector or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The important question is it worth buying a copy of Wrath and Glory?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Well, that's certainly news.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

I really feel like d100 +/- XX is a reasonable system. I've been running RT for a couple of years and haven't had to hack together too much. I agree about the legibility stuff, you should be able to read the books you paid for.

d100 systems are perfectly fine, see Warhammer Fantasy, they just made a few big mistakes in their changes to it that kind of poisoned the whole thing for the entirety of their run.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

MizPiz posted:

The important question is it worth buying a copy of Wrath and Glory?
I would hold off for the Cubicle 7 revision - they'll probably at least incorporate errata, and maybe even tighten up some of the bits which just didn't work, plus the production values will probably be somewhat better. (My Ulisses copy of W&G feels somewhat cheap next to the gorgeous WFRP4 core book.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, WHRP 4th is a beautiful product so this is definitely a good move. It will still need a big jump in flavor to get me to play WanG over Black Crusade or Rogue Trader but I am definitely much more interested in the line now.

Just give me the Fall of the Eldar book and archetypes for more aspect warriors and I am there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
With this C7 has all the Warhammer RPG's. WHFRP 4e, Age of Sigmar Soulbound and now Wrath and Glory now.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, WHRP 4th is a beautiful product so this is definitely a good move. It will still need a big jump in flavor to get me to play WanG over Black Crusade or Rogue Trader but I am definitely much more interested in the line now.

Just give me the Fall of the Eldar book and archetypes for more aspect warriors and I am there.
AIUI the plan for W&G was always that the flavour would come with the followup supplements, and to be honest I think the fact that Cubicle 7 will be developing those might be even better news than C7 revising the core book. I've got complete confidence that they'll get the atmosphere right for whichever deep dive supplements they choose to do, I wouldn't have had the same confidence in UNA.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Oh for sure. The One Ring books are great at capturing the flavor of the books, so I am sure it is in better hands. I don't love the base system in WanG but not to the point that I wouldn't play it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

From a refereeing perspective I'd much rather run the W&G system, not least because the NPC/monster stats have all the information you need right there on the page - no more running around in the book looking up all the talent and trait descriptions to work out what the gently caress a particular creature can do.

I have some affection for the atmosphere of 1st edition DH and would be inclined to use that for an Inquisition game which really focused on the core book's "grubby acolytes working for the man"/"40K WFRP" style, but would want to use W&G for anything else the FFG games did because the more they moved away from that, the shakier the scaffolding got.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
One thing I've always been curious about: How exactly did the Black Crusade character creation and skill/feat selection work? I've dabbled in all the FFG 40k games but I never touched Black Crusade without heavy houseruling and outright ignoring stuff about how god allegiance worked. It felt like one of the worst things in the series. IIRC, for instance, lots of important melee skills were split up between Slaanesh and Khorne allignment, making it prohibitively expensive to get them all. And I never got to see how Marine/Human balance worked/didn't work.

Like, one promising-seeming, but dead-on-arrival game someone tried a few years ago was "Black Crusade, but you're 30k era Thousand Sons chapter serfs fighting Space Wolf serfs" and it seemed like it would work because was basically just actually Only War rules, with mutation poo poo tacked on. Ogryn were reflavored as Tzaangors, or something.

Edit: Would it be possible to get a very brief explanation of the One Ring RPG? How's it set up? Like, is magic even a thing you can do, considering how LotR is so low magic that basically nobody not mentioned in the books can even use it?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I always had a lot of fun with Black Crusade. It is basically Rogue Trader with Space Marines. I actually like that you have to make an effort to be devoted to a particular God and can't just take all the optimal stuff. I get why people wouldn't like it, but it does add flavor. If you are really serving one God for the sweet bonuses and cost reductions it makes the out of God purchases more meaningful too.

But I would never mix CSM and humans unless you know there is no way for them to be balanced in combat. My most successful campaign was all CSM except the one human who played the ship captain who drove everyone around.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Edit: Would it be possible to get a very brief explanation of the One Ring RPG? How's it set up? Like, is magic even a thing you can do, considering how LotR is so low magic that basically nobody not mentioned in the books can even use it?

One Ring is a game about taking the thing that D&D most takes for granted--traveling--and turning that into most of the game (scouting, foraging, marching). Having a good mix of traveling skills is critical in the party, with some being borderline necessary for everyone to have. Your basic tradeoff for heavy armor is more difficult traveling. Various social skills are also important and again much more defined than D&D. You're going to want to outwit or impress during social encounters, using a variety of very Tolkien skill techniques, and it helps to have an idea of what will actually work on the character you are talking to.

It's generally very low magic. Smoking is a skill. Use herbs on your wounds. You can invest in a couple of trees when you are leveling up, basically Valor (I'm Aragorn!) and Wisdom (I'm Gandalf!) IIRC.

The combat is probably the only dissatisfying part, because it's overly complicated for what it's trying to do, especially if you are GMing (the way they wrote monsters for GM use is terrible), and it's not a game where combat's going to be much different from fight to fight due to meta considerations and the relatively small amount of monsters.

It uses a d12 system with its own unique dice. If you roll the Eye of Sauron (11) something bad happens and maybe your heart gets filled with a little more elemental darkness until you find a way to chill at Rivendell or something or you become inconsolably sad/insane. If you roll Gandalf (12) you did the thing heroically.

If you have a group that just wants to kill poo poo during an elfgame with their sick build they'll find the game tedious. If you have a group that's very into Lord of the Rings and wants to have a game that really captures what the books are about (plotting routes through or around the enchanted forest? what kind of social guile should I use to make friends with Gimli? how can I use Smoking to solve this problem?), you're in business.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I always had a lot of fun with Black Crusade. It is basically Rogue Trader with Space Marines. I actually like that you have to make an effort to be devoted to a particular God and can't just take all the optimal stuff. I get why people wouldn't like it, but it does add flavor. If you are really serving one God for the sweet bonuses and cost reductions it makes the out of God purchases more meaningful too.

But I would never mix CSM and humans unless you know there is no way for them to be balanced in combat. My most successful campaign was all CSM except the one human who played the ship captain who drove everyone around.

I always wanted to run a Black Crusade game where the players were running two parties - the human-scale ones they played most of the time, who'd infiltrate places and sow the seeds of rebellion, and then when the human PCs pulled the trigger on the revolution the action would switch to the CSM PCs, who'd get to go in and punch in the poo poo of everyone (with the human-scale PCs' accomplishments affecting how tough the CSM's job was).

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Cubicle 7 still has the insane "advantage" system in WFRP, which they don't want to errata to make it not stupidly OP.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Warthur posted:

I always wanted to run a Black Crusade game where the players were running two parties - the human-scale ones they played most of the time, who'd infiltrate places and sow the seeds of rebellion, and then when the human PCs pulled the trigger on the revolution the action would switch to the CSM PCs, who'd get to go in and punch in the poo poo of everyone (with the human-scale PCs' accomplishments affecting how tough the CSM's job was).

I really like that idea. Works really well with Alpha Legion or Word Bearers having agents/cultists seed the planet first.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

chin up everything sucks posted:

Cubicle 7 still has the insane "advantage" system in WFRP, which they don't want to errata to make it not stupidly OP.

Yeah. From a production standpoint, the new WFRP is nice, but some of the mechanical changes they made are weird and fiddly and don't seem that well tested.

Like, I get that people find all the whiffing in WFRP a bit frustrating, but their fix is not worth all the added overhead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

They have several variants in the Core Book to cap it and make it less powerful.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Use the optional rule to cap it by Initiative and it's not OP. It can also be removed with ranged attacks and outnumbering.

Edit: also don't forget a miss can still crit.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 17, 2019

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah as someone who's been actually playing whfrpg with the advantage system (capped by Initiative) for like a dozen + sessions, it's very good.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Challenge: construct the backstory of a 40k character using one sentence.

I'll go first.

Veteran of the Flavor Wars.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
"Your attempts to reorganize our filing system are heretical and shall be punished."

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Lord Awkward posted:

"Your attempts to reorganize our filing system are heretical and shall be punished."

"Your resistance to our attempts to reorganize our filing system is heretical and shall be punished."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Ended the Filing Wars devastating his homeworld by burning the archives to the ground, made an acolyte and taken offworld minutes ahead of his torturous death."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rogue AI cherubim swarm.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
"Hey Pa, I'm hearing voices and seeing things and why are you running away from me?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Inquisitor of the Ordo Oshaus"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'll go first.

“The Administratum Auditor was ready when the Inquisition came to call.”

susan
Jan 14, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

"Of course the Inquisition has an Ordos devoted to Human Resources Talent Acquisitions, how could we not?"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SardonicTyrant posted:

I'll go first.

"Is actually friends with a Space Marine"

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Lone Badger posted:

This made me think of the Ordo OHSE, who probably have Views about their radical colleagues in the other Ordos.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Awarded with a spaceship for rediscovering an ancient method of manufacturing scented candles.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
"Of course the Ogryn is the rogue trader, he was the one to get his hands on the warrant of trade when the ship crashed."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Space marine trying to hitchhike his way back to the battle barge"

head58
Apr 1, 2013

“They can replace that with cybernetics, right?”

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
"Not actually that into Chaos, just going along with it because it's easier than telling people"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"This prank will be hilarious, I'm going to show Steve this book that will make his eyes bleed."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Turns out Eldar are really touchy about jewelry. Anyway, I have a new ship.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
For sale; Primarch boots, never worn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
"Officer Murtagh was one week from retiring from the Arbites when officer Riggs brought in the dead Genestealer hybrid. "