Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A mod to force all conversation to go straight into the actual locked in conversation would be a god send. I know I always dunked on their old ways of doing it where time froze in the meanwhile but god was that so much more functional than the system they went with this time. Its like its impossible to tell who is a Real NPC with actual dialogue, however limited it may be, and a generic NPC who is there to say a line or two and fill space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Just reinstalled this after a few years of not playing it. Is the "recommended mod" section + the Google docs still accurate or is there a new one outside the OP?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35382

The unmodified build menu takes about a month to open, and it only gets worse as you start adding items to the game. This mod fixes that.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 13, 2019

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Mooktastical posted:

The unmodified build menu takes about a month to open, and it only gets worse as you start adding items to the game. This mod fixes that.

Oh! I had completely forgotten about that one. Thank you!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mooktastical posted:

lmao

quote:

It boils down to the game using some incredibly inefficient code to figure out what objects you can build in workshop mode. Whenever you start Workshop mode, the game evaluates the conditions on every single constructible object in the game to find out if they belong in the workshop - this includes even non-workshop items like weapon mods and chems. And it does that not just once (!), but repeats this loop for each and every workshop submenu you have!

If you install a mod that adds two new submenus to your workshop, one would reasonably expect to incur just a small overhead of a couple of additional checks. Instead, in reality, this causes two more loops through every single craftable object in the game.

As you install more mods that add any kind of craftable object to the game, entering the workshop will inevitably and perhaps noticeably slow down, even if these objects have nothing to do with the workshop.

And to make it all worse, every time you exit the workshop, the game tears down all this data it worked so hard to build and starts over!

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Wrr posted:

A mod to force all conversation to go straight into the actual locked in conversation would be a god send. I know I always dunked on their old ways of doing it where time froze in the meanwhile but god was that so much more functional than the system they went with this time. Its like its impossible to tell who is a Real NPC with actual dialogue, however limited it may be, and a generic NPC who is there to say a line or two and fill space.

If you start a conversation, or anytime you look away during you can enter the 'conversation camera' by looking at the speaker and pressing 'e'.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I'm posting with a kinda weird issue that hopefully someone else has already had and has fixed.

I saw this mod that I wanted to try
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24357

Unfortunately it requires AWKCR which whatever I download, plug them both in and sort according to the rules they list.

The issue I'm having is that (ONLY ON NATE) every item is removed and readded to your inventory? So you start the game and at the top right you see like "vault suit removed wedding ring removed"

This seemed mildly annoying but, whatever? I could cope except if you get into power armor all the parts drop in front of you and disappear. They're still in your inventory but if you reequup them, the actual power armor FRAME is gone. Super weird! Ive done a lot of fiddling, it's not actually related to the unique npc mod because it happens even on new games without that mod, and it only happens to Nate! If you start the game as Nora it works fine. Very odd, very frustrating.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Don't have any advice about your problems unfortunately, but I hope you like hard-to-kill giant spiders and poorly written dungeons!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Woebin posted:

Don't have any advice about your problems unfortunately, but I hope you like hard-to-kill giant spiders and poorly written dungeons!

Pulling back the curtain, while writing the post the thought occured to me "Hm, what would cause a problem with a mod, but only on Nate?" Anyways, I had a male body replacer which when removed let it work.

As for the actual mod, I'm not really a fan of spiders lmao, but the real issue is stability.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Prokhor posted:

As for the actual mod, I'm not really a fan of spiders lmao, but the real issue is stability.
I love the concept of it, putting together a pool of variants for each creature so they're not all the same, but there seems to have been some feature bloat that kind of ruins it. Stuff like adding a bunch of non-violent wild animals like squirrels and whatnot, entirely new monsters like the aforementioned spiders, and new dungeons just seem like they should be separate mods.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Woebin posted:

I love the concept of it, putting together a pool of variants for each creature so they're not all the same, but there seems to have been some feature bloat that kind of ruins it. Stuff like adding a bunch of non-violent wild animals like squirrels and whatnot, entirely new monsters like the aforementioned spiders, and new dungeons just seem like they should be separate mods.

As far as I can tell, it is just separate mods all packaged together. This explains why there's actually two different KINDS of spiders, the ones from a separate mod and the ones made by the actual pack author.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thinking of giving this game another shot if there's mods out there yet let me plop down pre-made settlements so I don't have to deal with building stuff and just carry on playing the game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Sim Settlements has that.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Sim Settlements has that.

To be more specific, it has both premade buildings and settlement plans you can implement with one if it's expansions. Just plop down a city planners desk and assign a plan and leader.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

xanthan posted:

To be more specific, it has both premade buildings and settlement plans you can implement with one if it's expansions. Just plop down a city planners desk and assign a plan and leader.
Even better, with the Conqueror expansion, you can just let the game build and populate the settlements when you start up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Woebin posted:

Even better, with the Conqueror expansion, you can just let the game build and populate the settlements when you start up.

Holy poo poo, yes, that's perfect.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
And they basically become Far Cry strongholds for you to conquer (as a Raider) or liberate (using one of the mods for the more benign factions.)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Somebody w this wild new sim settlement config please post yr modlist, it’s been a hot minute since I’ve played and probably need to update my mod list entire

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
While looking around for some decent perk overhauls, I found an perk and balance overhaul mod mentioned by someone called War Never Changes. Anyone tried it out or would recommend it? I'm not using any other balance overhauls this time around (I just don't have the patience for Horizon again).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got a good modlist for Fallout 4 VR?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Is there a manual method of increasing the xp you get from crafting and building? I'm playing Horizon again and I want to be more generously rewarded for the perfect Barbie Dream Homes I'm creating. Philosophically I just don't agree with the drastically reduced xp rate from settlement tasks; I feel like building a water purifier is a bigger milestone than murking Random Raider #400 so why should I get 1 xp for that and 35 for the murder?

I've tried a couple of mods, but they don't seem powerful enough to overcome the reduced rates in any meaningful way.

graynull posted:

While looking around for some decent perk overhauls, I found an perk and balance overhaul mod mentioned by someone called War Never Changes. Anyone tried it out or would recommend it? I'm not using any other balance overhauls this time around (I just don't have the patience for Horizon again).

I very much enjoyed it, though it wasn't enough to hold my attention through an entire playthrough like Horizon. If combat and perks are your two biggest sticklers in fallout 4, then you should absolutely go for it.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Riatsala posted:

Is there a manual method of increasing the xp you get from crafting and building? I'm playing Horizon again and I want to be more generously rewarded for the perfect Barbie Dream Homes I'm creating. Philosophically I just don't agree with the drastically reduced xp rate from settlement tasks; I feel like building a water purifier is a bigger milestone than murking Random Raider #400 so why should I get 1 xp for that and 35 for the murder?

I've tried a couple of mods, but they don't seem powerful enough to overcome the reduced rates in any meaningful way.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33759

This has a whole bunch of knobs you can twist including the crafting experience rate. It needs MCM and F4se.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Erd posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33759

This has a whole bunch of knobs you can twist including the crafting experience rate. It needs MCM and F4se.
Thank you! This did the job perfectly.

On an unrelated note, Horizon is a lot more enjoyable the second time through, when you've already done the brain damage of figuring out the crafting/settlement system.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm thinking of starting back up in FO4, what are some must have mods? Preferably nothing like Horizon or Frost, instead I'm looking more of like weapon/armor packs, perk additions or overhauls

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Riatsala posted:

Thank you! This did the job perfectly.

On an unrelated note, Horizon is a lot more enjoyable the second time through, when you've already done the brain damage of figuring out the crafting/settlement system.

Horizon is also less ball-busting and more documented now. When I first tried it, it was frustration. The current version is more like a Fallout 4.5 instead, accounting for appropriate engine jank.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Horizon is also less ball-busting and more documented now. When I first tried it, it was frustration. The current version is more like a Fallout 4.5 instead, accounting for appropriate engine jank.

That was my impression; the mod author seems to have dropped his strange obsession with making purified water the rarest thing in the entire world, and maybe I'm imagining things but I feel like I have more ammo to spare as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Part of that was likely a knee-jerk reaction to zero population water farming being the go-to play before figuring out what to actually do about it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Modding can go wrong in so many ways, but when it goes right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxvRNfBkVq8

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9048 (old world radio)
+
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7610 (macho man deathclaws)

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 3, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is it even worth trying to get VIS working with a bunch of mods or should I just deal with the vanilla sorting options?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Once you get the hang of it it'll take you about 5 minutes to add a tag to a weapon and copy/paste (mod) however many times and build a patch. If you add your mods piecemeal like I do it's not so daunting but a whole bunch at once might suck the life out of you. There a bunch of pre-built patches out there like Radrose Usability Enhancements that'll save you time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Am I misremembering or did someone make an unofficial patch for the hi-res DLC, since the official one was IIRC just a dump of original resolution with no respect for the textured objects' size?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SplitSoul posted:

Am I misremembering or did someone make an unofficial patch for the hi-res DLC, since the official one was IIRC just a dump of original resolution with no respect for the textured objects' size?

I distinctly remember a patch for the Hi Res DLC that was an optimized version of it that was smaller in size and better performing, while not losing any Graphical Fidelity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't the unofficial patch for the high-res dlc "Don't use the high-res dlc, it's worse than Vivid Fallout in all ways"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Azhais posted:

Isn't the unofficial patch for the high-res dlc "Don't use the high-res dlc, it's worse than Vivid Fallout in all ways"

Maybe? I actually prefer the official one to the Vivid Fallout. Vivid Fallout changes the actual look/tone of some of the textures a little too often for my liking. I prefer things as close to original as possible, just better. I'm hoping that Fallout 3/NV/4 get one of them Neural AI texture packs one day. I have the ones for Morrowind and Oblivion and they look great.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yo, been a while people. These days interesting F4 mods are starting to get few and far between so here is the latest batch of eye catchers from Nexus.

Weaponry!

Raider Blades adds a series of upgraded and customized blades for the in games base standard melee weapons.
Resident Evil Samurai Edge Pistol
Yuzuki RGR-11 a keytar melee weapon.
VUWR - Vanilla Unique Weapons Remastered Remasters almost all of the Unique Vanilla Weapons (Automatron, Far Harbor, Nuka-World included ), with NEW more interesting legendary effects and visually unique mods. Now unique weapons truly feel unique.
Falllout 3/New Vegas Heavy Incinerator
FNV 12.7mm SMG
Webley-Fosbery Autorevolver
Grognak's Axe 4k Textures
Wildey Survivor
Smith and Wesson Model 1917 Revolver
Misriah Armory The Halo Franchise Weapons
Lota Device a energy weapon that sucks ammo up and returns it to the enemy?

Better Vertibird Minigun beefs the damage of these things up.

Clothing and stuff!

CROSS Wasteland Ronin
The Purge Mask Collection
ZX Camouflage Fatigues every camo pattern under the sun for the in games fatigues.

New systems/Tweaked mechanics!

Companion Generator - Randomly Generated Companions with Special Traits
Wasteland custom bike built and set up your own chopper instead of using the provided one.
Skip DiMA's Memory Games Skip DiMA's memory games at the press of 5 buttons, one for each memory. No bat. files.
Awakened - Immersive Respawn This mod adds respawning to the game through the use of a "dream-room."
Monogamy - Break the Romance Loop tells your companions you are happy to just be friends.

Nicer textures! different sounds and stuff!

Sharper Synths 4k texture upgrade.
Exact Provisioners Travelling provisioners will move much closer to route start and end points (center marker of settlement). Lets you build more immersive loading docks and such like. Use together with Creation Kit to define center marker position.
I just want to build a robot Extremely simple mod that makes it so you can make a robot workbench without the hassle of doing the Mechanical Menace quest or waiting until level 15.
Automatron Randomized Bots Ever feel that Mechanist and Rust Devil robots are all the same? That's because they are. This mod changes all of that, and allows modded automatron parts to appear on "wild" robots.
Classic Dogmeat Fallout 3 style Dogmeat (new mesh and texture) direct replacer for Fallout 4's Dogmeat.
Fallout 3 - NV Feral Ghouls Replacer
Distant Ambient Warfare
Inner City Ambience - An Urban Soundscape

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 5, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I've been getting tired of Stellaris and that whole goddamn grand strategy poo poo so I decided to dig up the dead hookers in my backyard that were FONV and FO4, ultimately settling on 4 because it's way bigger and poo poo. (prob will do NV next).

Was pleased to see that there's a New Vegas-ish full conversion mod being made using the FO4 graphics and poo poo. I really wish Bethesda would just allow Obsidian to do a "New Vegas: Deuces Wild" or some poo poo like that instead. Unfortunately Tim Howard said they'd be handling everything from here on out and so we're stuck with loving 76 forever. I doubt they're even working on a Fallout 5.

Anyway.

Last time I ran through the Commonwealth Wasteland, I didn't gently caress with any moddery. But I've been really getting into it this past week.

Just holy poo poo if y'all haven't installed the latest Old World Blues Radio mod with like loving 28 channels or whatever. One of which I've been listening to for about 48 hours straight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWzOj8dHqNw

I keep looking down to notice that my knuckles are bleeding and I don't know why.

oh god what have I d--

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Question: I’m brand new to this game and is the mod menu in the game worth using or is all the stuff in the OP done through third party software?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Question: I’m brand new to this game and is the mod menu in the game worth using or is all the stuff in the OP done through third party software?

The mod menu in the game is mostly useless unless you're using "mods" from the BethSoft store. Most people use a third-party tool like Vortex or Mod Organizer for their modding.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I highly recommend you use an external mod manager, and disable auto-updates in steam since all those do is add new bethesda paid content (which almost universally is trash) in exchange for breaking the script extender and all your mods that go with it.

Install it, run it the first time to make sure everything is set up right, disable updates, only ever launch it with f4se via your mod manager going forward

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
When did the Nexus make the move from NMM to this Vortex thing? I haven't booted up FO4 for a while. I thought I'd give it a spin with some hot new mods, but now I can't download them using NMM? I got Vortex up and running, but it won't import my mod list. It keeps asking me to disassociate NMM with my mods, but I've already done that. I even went so far as to uninstall NMM and it still won't import my mods. Is this what I get for never getting around to learning Mod Organiser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Like a year ago?

I think one of the reasons they killed off NMM was GDPR.