Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

... I know that's relatively minor, but is it grounds for legitimate legal consequences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He did say he wanted to write something on the level of Haruki Murakami

he never said the words he was writing down weren't going to be Murakami's own

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Goddamn

It’s like every time you think this trainwreck is about to fizzle out, someone drives up with a fuel tanker and just sprays that poo poo everywhere.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

haaahhahaha of fuckin course

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
this isn't even a cargo cult imitation of murakami, but straight up plagiarism??

lmao allanson you fukken uncreative hack

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
man i really liked After Dark, too

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

no you see it's an homage

also, y'know, the Proto-Woman thing never actually meant anything or came to anything

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mors Rattus posted:

no you see it's an homage

also, y'know, the Proto-Woman thing never actually meant anything or came to anything

So just like the rest of Yick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's not a huge surprise that he's a bad enough writer that he just goes fishing in someone else's work for something 'evocative' to throw in without thinking about it or being able to produce his own prose.

But it IS hilarious.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ahahahahaha that owns

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Some guy on twitter is posting the Rory suicide portion and it's more tasteless than I imagined.

https://twitter.com/trinketsnail

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

Some guy on twitter is posting the Rory suicide portion and it's more tasteless than I imagined.

https://twitter.com/trinketsnail/status/1130500074709110784

:psyduck:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GrandmaParty posted:

Who on loving earth thought that something like that was a good idea to put into the game? gently caress YIIK and everything about it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm completely unsurprised by the wholesale plagiarism of a Murakami book. Consider that he didn't so much put in inspirations from Earthbound as he did put in entire things from it- Moonside and the Giygas fight in particular.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

GrandmaParty posted:

Wow, it's almost impressive how every little thing that gets revealed makes the creator even more terrible.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

good lord that conversation with ghost rory is atrocious

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Of course there's plagiarism. Of bloody course there is.

I have no idea what to say about the Rory thing now that I've seen it. I think it's pretty drat disgusting that Rory says, essentially, "I think it was probably inevitable, so don't blame yourself" when the game itself literally contradicts this. Rory's suicide is not, in fact, inevitable in the continuity of the game, because whether it happens is literally determined by a choice Alex makes. And then it has no actual narrative consequences, Rory just... isn't there. Which suggests that the game doesn't value his character enough to make him matter, if the plot doesn't have anything to do with him.

Now, in real life I'm sure it's theoretically possible for someone who's already experiencing suicidal ideation to decide to make an attempt after some (relatively minor) incident that just happens to feed that impulse. But it seems especially tasteless for a game to do this and make that hinge on the player's actions. And then Alex goes on to monologue and make the whole thing about himself, because of course he does (and Rory's ghost spends more time telling Alex not to blame himself than talking about his own mental state or anything to do with his own character).

I'm rambling and I don't know how coherent this is, but goddamn. :yiikes: :majorminor:

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
honestly the alex suicide monologue is, like, nudging a toe into the parking lot of good scenes, despite the infantile "I was a mess of emotions, hot and also cold" descriptions

pity he learns jack and all from this and still drags his friends into a hopeless boss fight solely due to his own gigantic ego and entitlement complex though

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

honestly the alex suicide monologue is, like, nudging a toe into the parking lot of good scenes, despite the infantile "I was a mess of emotions, hot and also cold" descriptions

My reaction to that was, "Huh, nobody mentioned Alex's raging opiate addiction and subsequent withdrawal symptoms til just now."

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Something to keep in mind is that Alex isn't an omniscient impersonal narrator, he is attempting to persuade you, the player, to do something on his behalf. Yea, we get the weeping Alex sprite when discussing dead Rory, but note the context of the conversation. He is discussing how he continued to try to manipulate Vella...and before we ask why, we should point out his other self manipulated Vella for sex.

I've been pointing out all game that Alex is a psychopath (look at those loving Ginger Sages) and this really kinda adds more fuel to the fire. I've said this in the discord, but Alex's PoV reminds me of a school shooter's manifesto. Nothing is his fault, he hates and lusts over those drat wimmin, and it is internally incoherent but filled with lovely memes and a desire to dominate and degrade. Look at the end boss. It's literally Alex with power, and instead of using it to do anything useful he just lashes out with hate and kills people. The first ending is literally him rounding up you and your IRL friends to electrocute a woman (Essentia 995) for daring to leave him.

In other words, of course Alex didn't care about Rory, he's incapable of caring for anyone. Remember when Alex's response to Rory's pain was to try to bang him?

Sorry if everyone is sick of these posts, I just find Alex disgusting.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
There is a lot of Bad in that whole suicide scenario, but that note really tops it for me as like the worst thing I have EVER seen. Good loving Lord, if the writers wanted us to take mourning Rory seriously, what the gently caress was that note about??

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
...Wait why is this LP still getting posts and -- how does this man keep consistently being so bad?! Yes, lazy writers, lifting text wholesale and using it, even if you're also saying you love that work, can count as plagiarism if you don't stop doing it. I'm starting to wonder if Grandma Party is responsible for even a little more people on the net to continue to comb through layers and layers of poo poo from these creators.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Crabtree posted:

...Wait why is this LP still getting posts and -- how does this man keep consistently being so bad?! Yes, lazy writers, lifting text wholesale and using it, even if you're also saying you love that work, can count as plagiarism if you don't stop doing it. I'm starting to wonder if Grandma Party is responsible for even a little more people on the net to continue to comb through layers and layers of poo poo from these creators.

Well, I guess now's a good a time as any to show off some cut content from the game. One of the nice YiiK discord users uploaded a series of save files that would load maps that aren't in the final game. These maps include a different version of the Sewers and Essentia dungeons, a tutorial dungeon where you can play as the Essentia, an older version of Frankton, and most interesting of all a small portion of the Original Ending. After going through all this stuff I wonder why some of this got cut as a fair amount of it is way more interesting than what is in the final game.

Also GP and I have another bonus video going up tomorrow concerning the other PAX demo.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 21, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crabtree posted:

This was kind of the trendline even before the LP started. If anything, I'd pin that more on corn in the bible and Combat Lobster (sorry guys), because between the two of them corn's video of the Golden Alpaca fight and its garbage and Lobster's initial round of digging through the code of the game inspired a lot of people, GrandmaParty among them, to look at the game more critically than they otherwise would have. Also the snowballing of bad press from its initial belly flop inspired a lot of lookie-loos too. You combine that with the fact that Andrew Allanson seems to light himself on fire anew every few weeks in one respect or another and you have something of a perpetual motion machine.

It'll fade in time, but in an instance like this plagiarism is still a Big Deal. Especially if you're a self-professed "intellect". Like yeah, it's not as bad as that Elder Scrolls role play adventure book that literally just copied the text from a D&D campaign book and auto-replaced most of the names with TES lore words, but still not a good look when thrown on the pile atop of everything else.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Looks like Allanson's pulling the ol' "It's homage, not plagiarism" card.

quote:

The idea is, Alex has read After Dark, and his fondness for the novel is seeping into his reality with vocal and physical manifestations calling his attention back to the passages of the book now living in his subconscious.

... except After Dark was written in 2004, while the English translation of it came out in 2007.

... Why was this set in 1999 and not 2009, again?

TracerK fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 21, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TracerK posted:

... except After Dark was written in 2004, while the English translation of it came out in 2007.

Beats the gently caress out of me. I guess Andrew didn't read either Sputnik Sweetheart (actually published in 1999) or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (serialized between 1994 and 95 and translated in 97), so he went for the low-hanging fruit in his repertoire. But yeah, it just makes it look ever more like he didn't give a poo poo about the whole basic premise and setting of the game and it really should just be like YIIK14 or something instead.

It's funny though. I kind of had a back and forth with Grandma about "Okay, how would I write YIIK if I did this thing" and my idea was to make the game about a timeloop between April 1999 and January 1, 2000 with the goal being to escape the loop and avert the end of the world on New Year's Day 2000 by like you and your friends growing as people and whatnot. My idea was to sprinkle anachronistic post-1999 items across the game to serve a narrative and worldbuilding purpose (like a poster for The Avengers in the video store alongside contemporary movie posters or a book published post-2000 in the local library among contemporary books, or a background character having a smart phone or an iPod), with the idea that they're glimpses of a possible future that's waiting out there if they can get out of the loop.

Instead of just being there because the Allanson bros didn't give a loving poo poo.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It's funny though. I kind of had a back and forth with Grandma about "Okay, how would I write YIIK if I did this thing" and my idea was to make the game about a timeloop between April 1999 and January 1, 2000 with the goal being to escape the loop and avert the end of the world on New Year's Day 2000 by like you and your friends growing as people and whatnot. My idea was to sprinkle anachronistic post-1999 items across the game to serve a narrative and worldbuilding purpose (like a poster for The Avengers in the video store alongside contemporary movie posters or a book published post-2000 in the local library among contemporary books, or a background character having a smart phone or an iPod), with the idea that they're glimpses of a possible future that's waiting out there if they can get out of the loop.

I had a similar chat with GP and my idea for this game basically boiled down to X-Files: The JRPG.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Combat Lobster posted:

Well, I guess now's a good a time as any to show off some cut content from the game. One of the nice YiiK discord users uploaded a series of save files that would load maps that aren't in the final game. These maps include a different version of the Sewers and Essentia dungeons, a tutorial dungeon where you can play as the Essentia, an older version of Frankton, and most interesting of all a small portion of the Original Ending. After going through all this stuff I wonder why some of this got cut as a fair amount of it is way more interesting than what is in the final game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQHeu4QgnaM

This just confuses me even more. Why would they remove that hairwhip explanation? It's silly and stupid and everyone just goes with it.

Is this the post-modern portion of the game? Picking through the remains of what it could have been?

e. YIIK - a post-mortem RPG

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 21, 2019

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

So after binge watching/drinking my way though the last couple of episodes last night, I really have to say this guy needs an editor, or a second writer, or... something.

I get a definite feeling that the writer of Yiik had a few ideas and plot points in his head but no idea how to connect them, which is why there's so much of Alex plot dumping/monologing. He also wanted to tell a "deep" story, but seems to have no idea how.

So you end up with Yiik, a game that's primary moving between planed out story bits, while the game jumps between gimmicks and gameplay ideas. One minute the story is a tragedy, then you're fighting a wacky golden llama, the game wants to be Earthbound now, no wait, Psychonauts, the story is about redemption, or comedy, or horror, or philosophy, or... It's clear that the writer wanted Yiik to be some magnum opus of gaming, but there's nothing really connecting all the things he wanted to do and instead we've ended up with a game that's not really anything (other then verbose).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Combat Lobster posted:

I had a similar chat with GP and my idea for this game basically boiled down to X-Files: The JRPG.

Funnily enough the original plot-line for the game outlined in the old 2015-era posts was effectively X-Files: The JRPG.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

TracerK posted:

He needed a world-ending disaster that was part of the cultural consciousness, and it’s not like there was a good one any time after 2000 like in 2012 or anything

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It really can’t be said enough: YIIK has the dubious distinction of being a game that did almost literally everything it was possible to do wrong while still being a (barely) functional game.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Welp, here we are again. Just when you thought you've run out of YIIK content, a nice person from the sad YIIK discord uploads a save file that gives you access to the other exclusive PAX demo from 2015.

Episode Cape Juno is basically the Flagtown map from a different angle, and despite this being YIIK I find the content in this demo a lot more interesting than any of the garbage that's in the final product.

:siren:Also :nws: warning: This demo features a fair amount of exposed breasts.:siren:

Cutscene Commentary On

Also Also, here's the cut content again with header image so it'll mesh with the OP:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Combat Lobster posted:

Welp, here we are again. Just when you thought you've run out of YIIK content, a nice person from the sad YIIK discord uploads a save file that gives you access to the other exclusive PAX demo from 2015.

Episode Cape Juno is basically the Flagtown map from a different angle, and despite this being YIIK I find the content in this demo a lot more interesting than any of the garbage that's in the final product.

:siren:Also :nws: warning: This demo features a fair amount of exposed breasts.:siren:

Cutscene Commentary On

Also Also, here's the cut content again with header image so it'll mesh with the OP:

Thank you lobster <3 I'll add these to the op when I get home.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Combat Lobster posted:

I would be extremely down for more X-Files games.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Here's a direct line to the thread itself (although some of the screenshot tweets got deleted/moved for some reason, you may need to look at Shelby's main twitter feed for those, but you don't need them, they're just used as evidence for the description he's giving):

https://twitter.com/trinketsnail/status/1130601448046305281

Here's a summary of the key points for anyone who doesn't feel they can stomach reading through it (CW for suicide and depression of course):

Rory's suicide is triggered by you (Alex) making 3 distinct choices in the game - not apologizing to Rory, not comforting Rory when he asks to talk, and deciding not to invite him during another story sequence. If you do any one of these 3 things differently, he will NOT commit suicide.

Rory leaves a suicide note on the ingame message board. Despite the fact that his suicide is supposedly related to his sister's death (and Rory's general pacifistic nature), it reads like a 4chan poster's manifesto against "normies" and drops the r-bomb repeatedly. It's also written entirely in l33tsp34k.

Alex learns of Rory's suicide through a call from Vella. Alex cries and blames himself, and complains that grief has caused him to play less video games and buy less records (seriously). He misses Rory's funeral, although I THINK that's because he was in another dimension against his will at the time, and not by choice...? I could be wrong about that.

Rory is never mentioned again by anyone in the game. The only difference is he no longer appears in cutscenes and there's some audio sync glitches at awkward moments in some cutscenes due to his absence.

Rory's ghost appears in the 2nd ending and forgives Alex, telling him it's not his fault and nothing he did caused the suicide, despite the exact opposite being true according to gameplay mechanics. He's back to his former mild self, there's no trace of the attitude in the suicide note.

My thoughts are that while it's not the worst thing in the game (the Elisa Lam business one-ups it in my opinion), it is particularly clunky, unnecessary, and half-baked. If you're going to have a major character commit suicide in your game, own it. Respect the characters, think about how it would actually happen, and have something meaningful to say and for the player to learn. And certainly don't half-rear end it like this - it basically has no effect on the plot, neutering Rory as a character even if he stays alive. It feels more like an easter egg than a major plot point of the game.

Not sure if this summary was necessary or helped anyone, I just kind of wanted to do it to process my own thoughts about this.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 21, 2019

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
What the gently caress. This game is fractally bad.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 21, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not sure if this summary was necessary or helped anyone, I just kind of wanted to do it to process my own thoughts about this.

Vella asks Alex why he didn't go to the funeral, and he says he was stuck with Essentia 2000 at the time. She's not having it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Much like taking someone's work and throwing it around because who cares, they decide to have a Suicide mechanic because its edgy and deep. Every little piece is bad and every little turn of this game leads to a dumber and dumber cacophony of mistakes, laziness and ultimately bad faith everything, it seems. "Oh video games aren't art if people are mean to me. I was just using the text word for word because I was inspired to homage it" and I'm sure at some point "It isn't creepy to write romantic fanfiction about a dead girl".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's like every step further we venture into this shitpile it just gets worse, it just gets better at pissing people off. What the gently caress kind of person is Andrew Allanson that- oh right, he's an alt-right fuckwit. I mean, at this point the plagiarism is nothing compared to how he's used the death of an actual person as well as suicide just as mental (and in the case of the former, probably actual :stonk:) masturbation fodder. gently caress that guy, gently caress this game.