Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Who is John French?

https://www.blacklibrary.com/authors/john-french

He's solidly mid-tier in terms of BL quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
French's Ahriman series is really good. I'd put him in the higher echelons myself

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Demiurge4 posted:

Who is John French?

Field Marshal of the British Expeditionary Force in WW1 until 1915?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Plavski posted:

French's Ahriman series is really good. I'd put him in the higher echelons myself

Yeah, French has moved up into top tier but still below Abnett, ADB, and Wraight. His Horusian Wars series is excellent and I really enjoyed Slaves To Darkness although I think a lot of people here didn't.

Horusian Wars doesn't get enough love here and it should.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So the new Dark Angel's omnibus, Knights of Caliban is out. I have not read the Legacy of Caliban omnibus yet either. Which one should I read first? Order of publishing date or would it be better to read Knights before Legacy?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

I actually recently read all three for the first time, and I liked them overall. spoiler: apart from the extremely, ridiculously abrupt ending to the third book.

I just finished all three books of the Macharius Crusade series and I loved them. I liked how they closed out the ending. It was abrupt but fitting. If you want a poo poo abrupt ending the Inquisitor War series is the worst offender.

Seriously, how is it I never see these books mentioned as 40k must reads? They were great.

Wtf happened to this thread, it's been unusually quite lately. I expect it will pick up Saturday when we get The Solar War release. Now on to Inferno volume 3. I can't stop reading 40k someone pls send help.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inquisitor War is a very abrupt end, and yet at the same time oddly fitting. I mean, when most of the main cast is dead, and the only two left are a character that vanished after book one for a good while, and a Space Marine, where do you go from here?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

New site up for Siege of Terra with a pretty sweet map of the solar system:

https://siegeofterra.com/

The 4 characters they choose to highlight at the bottom are interesting and I wonder what the significance of choosing those four is.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 16, 2019

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Aren't they the main characters of The Solar War?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did the Fantasy horror book come out? Is it good? Old World or Sigmar?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the last HH book I read was Unremembered Empire, am I safe enough just jumping into Solar War or are there any really good titles in between the two that I should read first?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

When do new black library books launch? If Solar War is out tomorrow can I get it midnight tonight or sometime tomorrow? I haven't been this excited about a book launch since dance of dragons.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

D-Pad posted:

I haven't been this excited about a book launch since dance of dragons.

I uh, I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

D-Pad posted:

When do new black library books launch? If Solar War is out tomorrow can I get it midnight tonight or sometime tomorrow? I haven't been this excited about a book launch since dance of dragons.

And look how that turned out! Thanks to you, this is how the book is going to end now:

Warboss Gurm posted:

Sunset found 'im stompin' in the grass, choppin'. Every waaagh was louder than the one before, and carried farther. By the time the moon came up 'e was crumpin' lousy gits. The more 'e rocked, the more 'e waaaghed, but the more 'e waaaghed, the 'arder 'e grew, and his bloodlust sent 'im charging to the fight to crump some more gits.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Preechr posted:

And look how that turned out! Thanks to you, this is how the book is going to end now:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Y'all getting The Solar War?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I know w40k is not some literary masterpiece. It's genre schlock for sure, but I unabashedly love it anyway. The scale of it is very much my thing.

I'm about 10% in and happy to report the scale of the battle so far dwarfs anything else I've read in 40k. Suitably epic.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
I guess the hardcover isn't available until the 28th? At least according to B&N it isn't, which sucks. Should I just order from BL.com?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Just started reading The Solar War and what did Sigismund do to make Dorn say those things? Yikes

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

Just started reading The Solar War and what did Sigismund do to make Dorn say those things? Yikes

Dorn ordered him to lead one of the fleets sent to Isstvan to confront Horus. Keeler (I think it was Keeler) showed him a vision/told him that if he led the fleet he would end up dead and forgotten under a nameless star but if he stayed he would fight by his father's side on Terra and his name would echo down the ages. He asked Dorn to assign somebody else but didn't tell him why. Later on when the fleet disappeared completely he admitted what happened and Dorn flipped his poo poo for not saying anything.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Keeble is doing a fantastic job on The Solar War so far. It's almost a given at this stage, but he's doing it proper justice.

There are some audio issues though, where the editing wasn't tight enough and previous takes were kept in instead of replaced so you hear him repeat a line with different emphasis or pronunciations. Might've been a bit of a rushed release as their quality control is not quite up to the usual very high standard.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Did the Fantasy horror book come out? Is it good? Old World or Sigmar?

There are two horror books. One is strictly 40K and the other (Maledictions) is both 40K and AoS. And AoS from the ground-level view is pretty close to the old world nowadays, apart from some name swaps.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

D-Pad posted:

Dorn ordered him to lead one of the fleets sent to Isstvan to confront Horus. Keeler (I think it was Keeler) showed him a vision/told him that if he led the fleet he would end up dead and forgotten under a nameless star but if he stayed he would fight by his father's side on Terra and his name would echo down the ages. He asked Dorn to assign somebody else but didn't tell him why. Later on when the fleet disappeared completely he admitted what happened and Dorn flipped his poo poo for not saying anything.

That makes sense, thanks.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

Keeble is doing a fantastic job on The Solar War so far. It's almost a given at this stage, but he's doing it proper justice.

There are some audio issues though, where the editing wasn't tight enough and previous takes were kept in instead of replaced so you hear him repeat a line with different emphasis or pronunciations. Might've been a bit of a rushed release as their quality control is not quite up to the usual very high standard.

I was wondering if my audio had stuttered when Sigismund called Boreas twice. Guess not!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finished Solar War late last night. I loved it. As I said before, the sheer scale of it was breathtaking. It's undoubtedly the biggest space war/battle I have ever seen in a science fiction story. John French does a great job of conveying the epic scale.

I was surprised it ended with the traitor fleet over Terra and ready to invade the ground. I figured with 8 books we would get at least 1-2 more before the story got to that point. I think the siege lasted at least a couple of months though and I am sure they will take the opportunity to give us a pretty detailed glimpse of what each legion is up to during the siege.

I am hoping we get a book entirely devoted to the Alpha Legion. They are chronically underrepresented in the war, and the siege is an excellent opportunity for them to shine.

John French outdid himself this time, and I am comfortable putting him just below ADB, Abnett, and Wraight as the best BL authors.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Well I stopped buying Heresy books as it was getting a bit silly and £9.99 for kindle edition was ridiculous, but I've pulled the trigger on the Solar War to see if things are back on course. I've liked French's work so far and it sounds like it's a good one so here goes.

Plus... you know... the fact that we're actually getting the Horus Heresy we were waiting for 13 years after it all started.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Well I've been reading Maledictions and so far I'd rate it one of the better Black Library books I've read of late. It's not exactly breaking new ground in SF or fantasy horror but there are some nice twists on 40k lore. It also has an Age of Sigmar story featuring fantasy samurai, which I completely wasn't expecting.

All in all if you want some stories with lower stakes than the usual big battle 40k/Fantasy stuff I'd try it, and it certainly gives me a bit of hope for the Warhammer Horror line as a chance for slightly different stuff to the norm, particularly in short stories.

I also read Shadespire - The Mirrored City by Josh Reynolds and quite liked that, too. Not particularly challenging to expectations and quite transparently trying to get game concepts and units in as much as possible, but pleasantly weird and seemed to refer indirectly to a bit of really old Warhammer Fantasy Chaos lore, Zuvassin.

I'd be quite happy if the group of heroes from it, a bunch of Freeguild soldiers including a battle wizard, Free Company mercenary and handgunner, turned up in miniature form at some point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Bob Smith posted:

Well I've been reading Maledictions and so far I'd rate it one of the better Black Library books I've read of late. It's not exactly breaking new ground in SF or fantasy horror but there are some nice twists on 40k lore. It also has an Age of Sigmar story featuring fantasy samurai, which I completely wasn't expecting.

I enjoyed Maledictions but I thought The Wicked and the Damned had better horror stories.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Now that the Siege of Terra is actually starting I've decided to go back and (partially) read through the Horus Heresy series because I'm a crazy person who loves eating garbage. I'm aware of two infamous ones (Battle for the Abyss, Nemesis), are there any others that are 'must-skip'? Conversely, which of the non-ADB/Abnett books (other than the opening trilogy and Eisenstein) are important to read, either because they are actually good or because they are plot-critical?

I'm currently re-reading the opening trilogy, will probably skip re-reading Eisenstein. It's a shame how badly they handled Horus's fall to Chaos. It would have been interesting if the rebellion had been treated more sympathetically, especially given that it's not like the Imperium is particularly great, but in the books he's at 100% cartoon badguy the moment he walks out of the Temple on Davin.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Now that the Siege of Terra is actually starting I've decided to go back and (partially) read through the Horus Heresy series because I'm a crazy person who loves eating garbage. I'm aware of two infamous ones (Battle for the Abyss, Nemesis), are there any others that are 'must-skip'? Conversely, which of the non-ADB/Abnett books (other than the opening trilogy and Eisenstein) are important to read, either because they are actually good or because they are plot-critical?

I'm currently re-reading the opening trilogy, will probably skip re-reading Eisenstein. It's a shame how badly they handled Horus's fall to Chaos. It would have been interesting if the rebellion had been treated more sympathetically, especially given that it's not like the Imperium is particularly great, but in the books he's at 100% cartoon badguy the moment he walks out of the Temple on Davin.

'Betrayer' of course is amazing, and 'Scars'/'Path of Heaven' are underrated.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Bearing in mind there's 50+ books to read. I'd say this was my absolutely ruthless list.

Original trilogy
Know No Fear
Betrayer
Vengful Spirit
Praetorian of Dorn
Master of Mankind

Which is still 8 books, but is a managable amount, rather than attempting to read 30 of them and burning out.

Yes I know this skips entire plot threads, but nothing you couldn't live without, or get the gist of from reading these.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Before reading Ashes of Prospero, should I read the HH Prospero books, or am I good to just dive in?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Before reading Ashes of Prospero, should I read the HH Prospero books, or am I good to just dive in?

The HH Prospero books are pretty good but if you just want to read a wiki on them that would probably be enough. I would read them though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You should definitely read them as they are one of the high points of the series

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Bearing in mind there's 50+ books to read. I'd say this was my absolutely ruthless list.

Original trilogy
Know No Fear
Betrayer
Vengful Spirit
Praetorian of Dorn
Master of Mankind

Which is still 8 books, but is a managable amount, rather than attempting to read 30 of them and burning out.

Yes I know this skips entire plot threads, but nothing you couldn't live without, or get the gist of from reading these.

Not sure why you wouldn't include The First Heratic on that list.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

susan posted:

'Betrayer' of course is amazing, and 'Scars'/'Path of Heaven' are underrated.

Deptfordx posted:

Original trilogy
Know No Fear
Betrayer
Vengful Spirit
Praetorian of Dorn
Master of Mankind

TY guys :)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The Solar War is pretty good. I was finishing up Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 when reading which added an important bit of context in otherwise confusing or vague ship battles. It sure did do a great job of conveying that scale of destruction and death I read 40K for though and the first two thirds or so were great.

The last few chapters really struggled though gotta say.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

Not sure why you wouldn't include The First Heratic on that list.

Fair.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Technowolf posted:

You don't need to read them, but I'd say do it anyway because A Thousand Sons is just awesome in general.

Honestly Ashes of Prospero is pretty cookie cutter in comparison. Like, I don't have the burning hatred for it some people do but it doesn't really do a great deal of interest with the material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Speaking of the Original Trilogy of the Horus Heresy. The Audible audio editions are on sale now for £3 each if that's any good for you.