Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also you just flat out get less experience on higher difficulties so you will be a lower level overall.

I know when I decided to say gently caress it about earnestly fighting Phoenix I lowered the difficulty to Simple all the way from the highest and everyone gained like ten levels just off that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You're supposed to get more combo bonus xp from harder difficulties to make up for it, but I don't know how well it scales or how much they expect you to get out of it. God knows enemy stat scaling from level isn't all there in Berseria.

Also they made it so that xp only goes to whoever got the last hit, so that's a nerf to bonus xp in general.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh is that how it actually works? That's kinda dumb.

Berseria is the best tales game but it's still a tales game in that regard :sigh:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You mean I now can have a rational reason for being mad at kill thieves?

For some reason when I was younger it would bother me when I'd be doing some sickass combo off a monster but then somebody else comes in and just taps them once and then they get the focus on the victory screen. That was mine!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

supposed leak of the next game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That seems like such a radical departure I just can’t believe it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That seems like such a radical departure I just can’t believe it.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1137131193701289984

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The game looks to have more budget than the last 3 games combined

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tae posted:

The game looks to have more budget than the last 3 games combined

Was about to post this myself.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
This game looks incredible. Are you sure it's from Namco? Like, even the stuff they throw all their weight behind doesn't look like this. The new engine is a beast, if this is a Tales game. All quiet on the Japanese front, though. The only link seems to come from 4Chan.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Something about that first screenshot comes off as particularly Tales-y to me, so I can buy it being real. I'm not super surprised it looks this good, mainly because we probably won't see an update for the next decade, so they made sure to get it right.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's just unreal 4. bamco's brought all of their studios into using it the past couple years

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

it's just unreal 4. bamco's brought all of their studios into using it the past couple years

Shows how many new games I play. Unreal 4 is really pretty.

But if we're assuming this is real, then we should over-analyze it to death! The character has 2 different swords and Ludger hair. Are we looking at a weapon-swapper? And the logo has definite Zestiria vibes. Is Not!Ludger going to take us to a trilogy of Desolation?

Tae posted:

Jump Force looks like loving poo poo though, that's why I'm surprised

Same!

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 8, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jump Force looks like loving poo poo though, that's why I'm surprised

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

do you think we'll get a femc again? hopefully with a better character design.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The rock formations are sorta similar to ones in Xillia I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imo, velvet's design was more interesting than whoever big chunky armor guy is

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Colonel posted:

imo, velvet's design was more interesting than whoever big chunky armor guy is

:wrong:

pants for everyone

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ershalim posted:

This game looks incredible. Are you sure it's from Namco? Like, even the stuff they throw all their weight behind doesn't look like this. The new engine is a beast, if this is a Tales game. All quiet on the Japanese front, though. The only link seems to come from 4Chan.

Namco's stuff has apparently been leaking en masse, also revealed was a remaster of the PS3 Ni No Kuni and the Fromsoft/George RR Martin game.

This looks cool, glad they seem to have a budget.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alder posted:

do you think we'll get a femc again? hopefully with a better character design.

here's the PR blurb going around which sounds enough like a Tales premise and also implies 2 MCs:

quote:

Challenge the Fate That Binds You
On the planet Dahna, reverence has always been given to Rena, the planet in the sky, as a land of the righteous and divine. Stories handed down for generations became truth and masked reality for the people of Dahna. For 300 years, Rena has ruled over Dahna, pillaging the planet of its resources and stripping people of their dignity and freedom. Our tale begins with two people, born on different worlds, each looking to change their fate and create a new future.

Featuring a new cast of characters, updated combat, and classic Tales of gameplay mechanics, experience the next chapter in the world-famous Tales of series, Tales of Arise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can be interesting and also bad, a lot of people here like things because it's bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If they've been making maps for two planets again that rules.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

You can be interesting and also bad, a lot of people here like things because it's bad

i don't see what this has to do with me saying i like a character design that's somewhat revealing more than a character design that's just a guy in big metal armor

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gematsu's got a gently caress ton more screenshots up

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/bandai-namco-e3-2019-announcements-leaked-tales-of-arise-from-softwares-elden-ring-and-ni-no-kuni-remastered

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

:wrong:

pants for everyone

Both are good and also there'll be at least one not wearing pants anyways

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

alright yeah the other 3 screenshots make it look a heck of a lot more like Tales

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It looks like Zeke from Xenoblade 2 and Lailah from Zestria.

Berseria was really good so and I hope it wasn't an anomaly. I want a good tales game!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally!!!

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Overbite posted:

It looks like Zeke from Xenoblade 2 and Lailah from Zestria.

Berseria was really good so and I hope it wasn't an anomaly. I want a good tales game!

Hot drat, that's definitely Lailah and... armatized Lailah, even. Looks like we're a lock for Desolation 3. (I mean, I say that, but it could easily just be someone who looks just like her. That wouldn't be unusual for this series tbh).

My guess, since we're doing a two-world story is that Desolation is the one we're used to that sucks because of the stuff space cow was alluding to in Berseria's bonus dungeon, and the new place with Not!Ludger is our Sylvarant for this little adventure.

Seeing this be an E3 leak is really strange, too. That implies we're looking at a small turnaround time for localization (or even a worldwide release). Berseria was about 4 months from first screens to coming out in Japan, so maybe the long wait is coming to an end. If they're giving Tales a budget AND a worldwide release, we might be in a new era of Tales games with actual advertisement. That's awesome.

I'm going to be hype and carefree for at least 2 weeks. Feel free to join me.,

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 8, 2019

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Ershalim posted:

Hot drat, that's definitely Lailah and... armatized Lailah, even. Looks like we're a lock for Desolation 3. (I mean, I say that, but it could easily just be someone who looks just like her. That wouldn't be unusual for this series tbh).

My guess, since we're doing a two-world story is that Desolation is the one we're used to that sucks because of the stuff space cow was alluding to in Berseria's bonus dungeon, and the new place with Not!Ludger is our Sylvarant for this little adventure.

I hope so, they really did tease more to the story of Desolation with the EX dungeon in Berseria, and my thoughts are these "two worlds" are Desolation, and the realm the Seraph/Malakhim came from. Could be pre-Berseria.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Tragedienne posted:

I hope so, they really did tease more to the story of Desolation with the EX dungeon in Berseria, and my thoughts are these "two worlds" are Desolation, and the realm the Seraph/Malakhim came from. Could be pre-Berseria.

Serious spitballing here, don't take any of what I say as any kind of gospel: from the way the development of Zestiria went, I think there was a lot they wanted to do, but couldn't, and Berseria was sort of a love letter / apology to the fans for what we got instead. Given Berseria was crazy hella popular, and Zesty's characters are well-liked (particularly Edna and Meebo), I think it's most likely a sequel to Zestiria. That way they can bring back fan favorites Velvet, Sorey, and Meebo, and what looks to be Lailah and finish off the whole, "hey this place sucks but doesn't have to" thing.

Z&B both sold well in the west, and V was apparently gangbusters, especially on PC. So it looks like they're trying to score more with that crowd -- and a sequel to an established story is a good choice for the western audience (at least, every company seems to think so) so a cap on the trilogy makes the most sense from that perspective. That, and releasing this info at E3 instead of the Japan-focused Tales Fest a week later is definitely a sign of something. I'm feeling worldwide release, somehow. It'd be a bold new direction from their new producer. I know a decent number of us import right away, but it'd still be a pretty big selling point (and also a good reason to announce it at the more global E3 than the smaller Tales Fest venue).

And then maybe in Tales fest they'll go into more detail as to the systems + announce a new remake?

Feels like a good time to be a fan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

supposed leak of the next game

Because I haven't got an original bone in my body my first thought looking at this is this reminds me of Dragon Quest 11.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if the new game is another desolation game i hope they at least, give us more edna

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

please don't return to desolation, you can't bleed much of interest from it anymore

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nothing about the PR blurb sounds like it's a sequel to me. 'new cast' and describing a world that doesn't match up with the previous games unless you really squint.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they should put edna in the game anyway

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

She can be the cameo fight. Her and Eizen.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

She can be the cameo fight. Her and Eizen.

I think Jade's updated Mystic Cage was the best part of Zestiria. If they're the cameo this time, I want them to get a new duo and I want it to be amazing. Like, gravity trigger into dragon howling into crystal tower or something.

Or ya know,

The Colonel posted:

they should put edna in the game anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the design is just kind of similar to Lailah from the back, not literally Lailah. It's not like it'd be the first time two Tales characters looked sort of similar.

And the protagonist seems a bit older than most Tales protags, if Eyepatch dude is the protagonist, which makes sense to me. Eizen was consistently a little bit more popular than Velvet on polls and such, even if people still liked Velvet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

I'm pretty sure this is a field area in Zesty. Can't remember the name, but those angled crags everywhere look similar.