Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

Usually the only places passports aren't accepted are where they're trying to also establish residence, not just citizenship or identity. I have no idea why that'd be the case here.

Ah, yeah, that actually makes sense. I didn't think about that, though I too can't imagine why that would be an issue in this case.

EDIT: I remember having to carry my passport around for a week to buy liquor and cigs every time I renewed my drivers license in my early 20s. God that must have seemed weird to everyone. Thankfully the encroaching baldness has very much rendered that a non-issue at this point; there had to be some advantage, right???

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

“It’s the military and they do everything the dumbest way possible“ is why.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

My understanding is that there's a limited and underwhelming bus tour.

I've done it, and it was worth it, but it is limited. If you're there all day anyway, it's a good way to break up the outdoor exhibits at Pima. Escape the heat via air-conditioned bus, then return to Pima and finish the exhibits.

When I went, we caught some pristine C-27s being washed down.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

fknlo posted:

Cool photo opportunity and all, but that's a really bad place to be.

F-16's have a tank of Hydrazine on board for the APU. I wouldn't get near a crashed F-16 for love or money.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I still don't get what happened with the C-27s. The army bought them, then the air force got them, then they got mothballed, and never used or something? None of it makes sense.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mortabis posted:

I still don't get what happened with the C-27s. The army bought them, then the air force got them, then they got mothballed, and never used or something? None of it makes sense.

They're going to go to the Coast Guard or possibly the U.S. Forest Service now. So... hooray? :confuoot:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StandardVC10 posted:

They're going to go to the Coast Guard or possibly the U.S. Forest Service now. So... hooray? :confuoot:

What's USFS going to do with them?

Can they be made in to air tankers? that would be cool.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Army wanted in-house cargo airlift support, got it in the form of the C-27, Air Force "won" an inter-service pissing match about who gets to fly fixed-wing aviation assets (everyone except the Army), so the Air Force got the C-27s that the DOD had already purchased, but didn't loving want them because they already have a massive fleet of C-130s/17s/5s that they can't afford to keep in the air, so the Pentagon is desperately searching for someone to GIVE the things to, before 60 Minutes does a special on the program.

It's the politics of the largest organization, with the most money in the world, an array of government contractors hanging off their teet, kickbacks, blowbacks, and rampant greed and corruption.

E^^ it'd have to be water bombers.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elviscat posted:

The Army wanted in-house cargo airlift support, got it in the form of the C-27, Air Force "won" an inter-service pissing match about who gets to fly fixed-wing aviation assets (everyone except the Army), so the Air Force got the C-27s that the DOD had already purchased, but didn't loving want them because they already have a massive fleet of C-130s/17s/5s that they can't afford to keep in the air, so the Pentagon is desperately searching for someone to GIVE the things to, before 60 Minutes does a special on the program.

It's the politics of the largest organization, with the most money in the world, an array of government contractors hanging off their teet, kickbacks, blowbacks, and rampant greed and corruption.

May as well use them up now. US Gov. can't even get rid of them as Leonardo refuses to service any American C-27J sold on. Guess they got real pissed about the whole deal and didn't want to get hosed out of more money.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

PT6A posted:

I'm kind of tempted to see if I can board a plane with my "aviation document booklet" next time I fly commercially, just for shits and giggles, now that I'm thinking about it. It's federally issued photo ID so I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm guessing it'd throw them for a loop.

You can. It's on the list of acceptable photo ID. Worst case they'll hold you there until they can look it up.

To fly internationally you'll still need your passport.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat the RCAF shoulda gotten C-27Js instead of the C295s for SAR duties because sounds like there would be a good source of lightly used replacements available.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

drat the RCAF shoulda gotten C-27Js instead of the C295s for SAR duties because sounds like there would be a good source of lightly used replacements available.

People brought this up at the time; maybe the no service from Leonardo was a deal-breaker

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Niki Lauda has died.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jonny Nox posted:

Niki Lauda has died.

Somewhere in the great beyond: "Hey James, finally made up those extra laps."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Elviscat posted:

See what I find insane is that the Army didn't get them back after the Air Force immediately threw them away.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Mortabis posted:

See what I find insane is that the Army didn't get them back after the Air Force immediately threw them away.

The Air Force really , really does not like the idea of the Army having it's own fixed wing air assets.

Though why they didn't get pissy about the Citations and Gulfstreams I don't know.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And king airs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The Air Force really , really does not like the idea of the Army having it's own fixed wing air assets.

Though why they didn't get pissy about the Citations and Gulfstreams I don't know.

Then they'd have to share?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

And yet the Navy's army has its own air force. Go figure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And yet the Navy's army has its own air force. Go figure.

Maybe the army should have its own air force. They could have used those c-27s to deploy zodiacs or amphibious landing craft or something.
Give the air force flying boats to make up for it, full of special air force infantry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the navy already has an army and an air force so just roll em all into that imo

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Why not get recursive? Navy's army's air forces' navy's army...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

PLANMC really missed an opportunity here.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Unterseeboot "Hermann Göring" of the 1st Fallschirm-Panzer-Marineinfanterist Division Hermann Göring.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Saw the Canadian Coast Guard Surveillance Dash-8 doing low-ish loops along stretches of river in the BC lower mainland this morning, looking for oil spills and the like. Great looking plane

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Transport-Canada-Surveillance/De-Havilland-Canada-DHC-8-102-Dash-8/2721437

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think a few months back this thread was talking about crappy little Tecnam twins? Well, I found their spiritual ancestor:

Two 100-hp Continental O-200s, max speed 130 mph, engine-out ceiling 2,000 feet, engine-out climb rate lol no.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

Two 100-hp Continental O-200s, max speed 130 mph, engine-out ceiling 2,000 feet, engine-out climb rate lol no.

Usually, the remaining engine should be sufficient to get you to the scene of the accident, but I think that will actually crash short.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A Falcon 8X apparently established a coast-to-coast speed record, California to New Jersey in four hours and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDA8Sv7QN9U

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Finger Prince posted:

Maybe the army should have its own air force. They could have used those c-27s to deploy zodiacs or amphibious landing craft or something.
Give the air force flying boats to make up for it, full of special air force infantry.

I can grok why the USN no longer has flying boats, but I still cannot understand why the USCG doesn’t buy US-2s.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

USCG should rehab the caspian sea monster

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

A Falcon 8X apparently established a coast-to-coast speed record, California to New Jersey in four hours and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDA8Sv7QN9U

Yeah, you're going to be seeing more of that as the jetstream does progressively fuckier things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

I can grok why the USN no longer has flying boats, but I still cannot understand why the USCG doesn’t buy US-2s.

What tactical advantage does a sea plane give though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

What tactical advantage does a sea plane give though.

Performing rescues further from shore than can be done with a helicopter?

Rescue could also be extracting divers or something.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

:hmmyes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gotta be some pretty calm conditions to put a seaplane down in open ocean!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

Catalinas certainly did it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

I can't find the video at the moment, but I remember there being a Japanese open sea floatplane taking off and landing in some pretty :staredog: sea states.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

I think a few months back this thread was talking about crappy little Tecnam twins? Well, I found their spiritual ancestor:

Don’t you be mean to the twin champ :mad:

Neat (?) fact - it has flap, prop, mixture, and gear levers that are hooked up to nothing to allow the pilot to develop the muscle memory for emergency procedures etc.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Its most distant ancestor (the Aeronca C-2) managed to fly on just 26hp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

hobbesmaster posted:

That's what the combo package of HH-60's and HC-130's to refuel them is for. The 106th out of Gabreski on Long Island did a long range rescue waaaaaay out into the Atlantic last year, and the 176th out of Anchorage rescued the guys on the Cougar Ace when it dumped a couple hundo NissansMazdas into the drink back like 11 years ago. IIRC the flight to the cougar ace was 12+ hours and half a dozen in-flight refuels, as it was almost at the end of the Aleutian chain when it decided it wanted to try to capsize.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 23, 2019