Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/isekai_quartet/status/1128325214578679808

Nice ED card from the latest episode of Quartet.

I should probably get around to watching Youjo Senki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I'm enjoying this, but gosh, was Yui always so selfish and egotistical? Kyouko really comes across as the protagonist.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ibblebibble posted:

https://twitter.com/isekai_quartet/status/1128325214578679808

Nice ED card from the latest episode of Quartet.

I should probably get around to watching Youjo Senki.

why would you give Darkness a minigun oh god

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Who cares, they gave Cocytus two.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

I read the novel for this and the writing is extremely amateurish. Like, your basic fanfiction writing is leagues better. I am honestly surprised it got any sort of adaption at all.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

https://mangadex.org/title/27202/the-ride-on-king

There is apparantely an isekai about Not!Putin getting transported into another world, and he promptly sets out on a quest to ride all the different magical monsters of the world. I have only read the first chapter but the premise seems amazing.

edit: actually the more I read of it, the more off it seems.
edi2: on the other hand, the not!Putin tends to think that slavers and other assholes should all get punched in the face, so at least the isekai slavery-garbage is completely something considered villainous within the story

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 17, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Don't worry, she can't hit anything.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BlackDragonSP/status/1129356634763849728

Yep, hamsuke is the class pet, unfortunately for her death knight-kun was slain by aqua.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

if you roll to hit 1000 times you gotta get a 20 eventually!!!!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Elfface posted:

At least not intentionally. Crit failures might still be a thing.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Shield Heroine
Its time for Maple and Sally to team up for the Event. What sort of challenges await them?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The greatest hardship of all.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I started reading Kenkyo Kenjitsu and it's quite good! It makes me nostalgic for reading the Princess Diaries back in high school. I wasn't super gripped with it until fifty or sixty chapters in, but I think it adds a lot of depth to the high school stuff to see Reika and her friends grow up together.

When's the best natural stopping point for reading it? I saw it's on hiatus, and I don't want to be left hanging on a cliffhanger, but it's not exactly like it's a series with a ton of cliffhangers to begin with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Elfface posted:

I dunno how well that applies to hitting her friends on accident

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

nrook posted:

When's the best natural stopping point for reading it? I saw it's on hiatus, and I don't want to be left hanging on a cliffhanger, but it's not exactly like it's a series with a ton of cliffhangers to begin with.
Yeah I think it's fine to just read up to the most recent chapter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new sword dad

lol I can't get over this little bit with him using the float spell while fran is eating lunch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Crunchyroll, out of the blue, just put up The Twelve Kingdoms in its entirety. This was my first foray into Isekai before I even knew what that meant. Also it's really, really good and I'd recommend it to anyone (who likes anime).

Twelve Kingdoms not having more books written in its setting is one of the top two depressing LN things (with the other being the likelihood that Rokka no Yuusha will never end). It is very good and has one of the most interesting fantasy settings I've ever encountered. It's Actually Good, as opposed to "we know it's bad but it's still entertaining" (which applies to most of the stuff we discuss in this thread).

I actually like the addition of the two classmates into the anime, though (from what I understand, the LN didn't have anyone travel to the 12 Kingdoms world with her). Asano's whole arc was particularly interesting (it's probably one of the few "accurate" depictions of what would actually happen if someone was randomly transported into some fantasy world, without knowing the language or anything).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Invictus posted:

new sword dad

lol I can't get over this little bit with him using the float spell while fran is eating lunch

Okay, the float thing was goofy but I should have known this would happen eventually...

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Someone's been watching Daikon IV.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

new sword dad

I think you're not supposed to pick up cats like that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kittens is okay, adult cats no.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

chumbler posted:

I think you're not supposed to pick up cats like that.

At least he's not picking up cats in a dungeon like that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but I recently found this weird series:

The other world doesn't stand a chance against the power of instant death

It's an intriguingly cynical parody of the premise of a lot these Isekai stories, and as a result of that I feel like the world itself is more interesting than the characters, so I'll start with that.

Basically, the setting is described as the "lowest energy potential" of all the infinite isekais, so it's extremely easy to get transported there and extremely hard to get out. Which means it's constantly under attack by extra-dimensional invaders of all kinds, from demons to elder gods to mecha. But the most dangerous invader of all is of course the Ordinary High School Student, who usually ends up with some OP cheat ability and starts enslaving the populace or whatever.

Basically it's a hellhole where cities are blowing up every day because of all the clashing OP-ness, and almost everyone is a sociopath. Keeping "order" such as it is are the Sages, who are the most OP of the OP who have filtered their way to the top and are basically amoral gods who will casually kill lesser mortals with a wave of their hands. They're the only ones who stand a chance at stopping invaders from other worlds, so they consider themselves the rulers of the world, and, well, who's going to stop them?

However, not even the Sages are truly immortal, and sometimes they die in battle against invaders. To replenish their numbers, one of the Sages (they have no leader, since naturally every single one of them thinks of themselves as the most powerful) orders a new shipment of Ordinary High School Students, this time an entire class of students on a bus. They're all given RPG stat menus and OP new abilities yadda yadda yadda, and maybe one of them will end up being powerful enough to join the Sages. Probably not, but eh, they're expendable and they can always get another batch.

However, also on the bus are a few students who failed to "install" the RPG mechanics and they're abandoned by the other students, assuming that they'd weigh them down. Naturally, these people turn out to be even more special than the others, and in fact were special even in their original world, and are all ridiculously OP in their own, even more OP ways. Etc etc. Basically it's a ridiculous black comedy parodying all the OP cheat slave-owner type protagonists, as pretty much everyone is an awful person trying to kill each other.

The most fundamental, basic gag of the series is the anti-climax though. As the title indicates, the main character can just kill anyone or anything by thinking about it. It's sort of designed to be the most ridiculously overpowered, yet also boring, ability possible. But he's vaguely a nice guy (not really) so he only uses it in self-defense. IE: if anyone even thinks about hurting him they will immediately die, from any distance. Other than that, he's the most boring man imaginable (intentionally so). The story is usually told more from the perspective of his companion, who's the one who overreacts to everything until she gets bored of doing that. Also she's a highly trained ninja, for some reason. It's the kind of story where everyone has some crazy backstory, because every single person in the world is the main character of an Isekai novel.

I don't know how well the writer can keep this from getting old, but the premise is absurd and creative enough that it really stood out to me. Also there is absolutely zero harem nonsense (still some romcom nonsense between the two leads though), and the slavers are villains who gets killed, if that's the sort of thing you worry about.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Clarste posted:

I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but I recently found this weird series:

The other world doesn't stand a chance against the power of instant death

I had once read a little bit of the novel, but the translation was practically Google Translate and wasn't that understandable. You've basically got the gist of it, though. Isekai protagonists are all amoral psychopaths who all deserve instant death.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've read that series recently as well, and my feelings can be summed up thusly: "Mark Millar writes manga".

That is not an endorsement.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

I've read that series recently as well, and my feelings can be summed up thusly: "Mark Millar writes manga".

That is not an endorsement.

Can you elaborate on that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
seething contempt for the isekai genre is fine but it can't carry an entire story when you have no other ideas and nothing to say. i prefer webnovels that are bad in entertaining ways over mediocre works like instant death.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Blew through the manga. Can't say I'm interested enough to make the jump to the webnovel. It's not bad but I can see how it could definitely peter out.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's one that is fairly entertaining as a manga, but I can't imagine holding out in text.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be honest, I kind of dismissed it myself until I was talking to my brother about it (as a list of "bad isekai I've read recently") and then when I described it it sounded way more interesting than how I felt when I read it. That's kind of why I thought the premise was more entertaining than the characters or whatever, although that did make me look back on it more fondly than I had before.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Clarste posted:

However, also on the bus are a few students who failed to "install" the RPG mechanics and they're abandoned by the other students, assuming that they'd weigh them down. Naturally, these people turn out to be even more special than the others, and in fact were special even in their original world, and are all ridiculously OP in their own, even more OP ways. Etc etc.
I suppose that makes sense, because those are not "Ordinary High School Students"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The ending page of the new sword-dad deserves to be airbrushed on the side of a van, and also be the finishing blow against a powerful enemy.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Mordaedil posted:

It's one that is fairly entertaining as a manga, but I can't imagine holding out in text.

Having read both the manga and the webnovel I feel kind of the opposite. Because there's really only one "gag" in Instant Death (some super powerful foe being introduced and then instantly dying while all of the onlookers gasp shocked disbelief) it sees a lot of play. And in the manga that's especially apparent because of the space limitation inherent in the format, so it feels like just a parade of villains being introduced so that they can instantly die when the timing is slightly comedic. The web novel has the same problem, of course, but it's a bit better off because it has more space to flesh out the setting and characters and to set up the overarching plot.

At least that was my feeling when comparing the two. The webnovel feels like it has a lot more going on (things like insight into the characters thoughts or how the setting works or setups for a big overarching plotline) rather than just the same comedic beat of some guy dying mid powerup transformation sequence that gets hit over and over again like in the manga.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

instant death is a p uncomfortable power fantasy with lots of kind of skeevy elements so im gonna ask we not discuss that one in this thread

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Sindai posted:

Yeah I think it's fine to just read up to the most recent chapter.

I'm on it. Looking forward to Reika giving more people unfortunate nicknames.

e: 200 chapters in I still have no idea what Fellow Stalking Horse's name is and he shows up like every chapter

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Clarste posted:

Can you elaborate on that?

I never read the series but: you know how there's a million series that are like "DID U KNOW: if superheroes/Superman were real they would be really bad???" I'm assuming they mean that but for isekai premises.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I started watching Tanya of the Evil Empire or whatever solely because it's the only quarter of Isekai Quartet I haven't seen. Gotta say, the first episode didn't really blow me away. Does it get a lot better or is it just "crazy OP Isekai protagonist in magical WWI" the whole time.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's mostly the latter. It's like Overlord in that the protagonist is steadily digging a deeper hole for themselves when they think they're being clever for using their past world knowledge.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

not really? there are a couple decent schticks or running joke kinda things, and the plot involving the god who reincarnated tanya is vaguely interesting but it doesn't really ever get any better than that

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The episode that features it manages to quite stunningly represent the OsloOrse fjord, so there's that.

If you're not really into the whole magic WWI scenario, then it doesn't really offer much, no.