Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

What are some other examples from 1999 or 2000 which TPM can’t compare to? I would argue that a lot of the action from TPM has actually held up incredibly well. The podrace is totally thrilling. The lightsaber fight is heralded even by ardent anti-prequel ideologues.

The Matrix is a good call but it's a completely different animal. It's gritty urban cyberpunk kungfu to Phantom Menace's cartoony space opera. I don't think you can meaningfully lump things like the lightsaber battle and pod racing into the category of "action" and compare them to bullet time kungfu and urban foot chases, anymore than you can compare the special effects when the Matrix doesn't attempt anything on the scale of fully integrated CGI characters.

Gollum from the LotR series would eventually way overshadow the strides they made with CG characters but I don't know enough about the history of effects work to know how much Weta benefitted from having a few years to build off that knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

The Matrix is a good call but it's a completely different animal. It's gritty urban cyberpunk kungfu to Phantom Menace's cartoony space opera. I don't think you can meaningfully lump things like the lightsaber battle and pod racing into the category of "action" and compare them to bullet time kungfu and urban foot chases, anymore than you can compare the special effects when the Matrix doesn't attempt anything on the scale of fully integrated CGI characters.

Gollum from the LotR series would eventually way overshadow the strides they made with CG characters but I don't know enough about the history of effects work to know how much Weta benefitted from having a few years to build off that knowledge.

I wouldn't undersell Dobby from Chamber of Secrets for helping sell CG characters either, which came out the same year as The Two Towers, which was the first movie to really feature Gollum. Jar Jar laid the groundwork, for sure, and then in 2002 Two Towers and Harry Potter was like, "Alright, thanks, here's what we could do to further that."

Oh hey, 2002 was also the year AOTC came out. There were a poo poo ton of CG characters in 2002.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Gollum looked like trash in 2002 and still looks like trash there i said it

Hollywood doesn't want to give credit to Ahmed Best
Andy Serkis is the recipient of stolen valor

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Frodo & Sam & their cartoon friend with huge dumb anime eyes

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There were motion-interaction parts of Gollum that looked bad, like juddery. But his closeups were phenomenal and still look great.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There’s an extreme close-up of Grievous’ eye at one point that has always looked extremely photorealistic to me. That one, 2-second shot always stood out to me in ROTS

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/wbqXJVx.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/iw5gw1m.gifv

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

It feels extremely bad and ill-advised to say that Andy Serkis is the best thing in Black Panther, but Andy Serkis really is the best thing in Black Panther. (Or maybe Sterling K. Brown)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The pod race but with Sabotage playing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jewmanji posted:

I would argue that a lot of the action from TPM has actually held up incredibly well. The podrace is totally thrilling. The lightsaber fight is heralded even by ardent anti-prequel ideologues.

The lightsaber threesome has always been the best part of TPM (aside from the musical score, of course). I've got nothing but good things to say about Ray Park's fight choreography. But for all the hype and buildup that they gave to Darth Maul, taken as a character he's barely even there at all.

e: The pod race looked great, but it always worked better in video game form than in movie scene form.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The pod race in The Phantom Menace always reminds me of my first time seeing THX 1138 and it's this philosophical sci-fi drama until a rad car chase pops up out of nowhere.

General Dog posted:

It feels extremely bad and ill-advised to say that Andy Serkis is the best thing in Black Panther, but Andy Serkis really is the best thing in Black Panther. (Or maybe Sterling K. Brown)

The cast in BP is completely stacked. The old queen is a nothing character, and they get Angela Bassett.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

The lightsaber threesome has always been the best part of TPM (aside from the musical score, of course). I've got nothing but good things to say about Ray Park's fight choreography. But for all the hype and buildup that they gave to Darth Maul, taken as a character he's barely even there at all.

e: The pod race looked great, but it always worked better in video game form than in movie scene form.

The whole point is that he's a distraction though?

Also in what way does it "work better in video game form"? I have no idea what that could mean.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 20, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Sir Kodiak posted:

The pod race in The Phantom Menace always reminds me of my first time seeing THX 1138 and it's this philosophical sci-fi drama until a rad car chase pops up out of nowhere.

Lucas does love him some cars.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jewmanji posted:

Also in what way does it "work better in video game form"? I have no idea what that could mean.

There was a video game for it, and I think they're saying it was better than the scene was a movie scene.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lycus posted:

There was a video game for it, and I think they're saying it was better than the scene was a movie scene.

Correct.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The "but" in your sentence made it sound like there was something wrong with the scene. I agree the game was fun as hell.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jewmanji posted:

You've never played Episode 1 Racer?
Was a spectacular game for its time and seeing all the courses and racers was a lot of fun

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You can buy Racer right now on Steam and GOG.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The pod race thrills me to this day, and part of that is Ben Burtt's sound direction. Each racer has its own unique and sound, entirely fitting its design and driver.

Sebulba's engines sound like an old air compressor my grandfather had in my childhood, dialed up to 11. Makes it sound like his racing philosophy is raw, overwhelming power, and in the theater or a good sound system it's incredible. :allears:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's insane how much better the 1999 cgi looks than the 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1131709439755444224

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd make a joke about how they'd fire the people making it and ship out an unfinished product but they already did that with Solo.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I'd ask why, but KOTOR does probably have a better story than TFA (which is damning with faint praise of course).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sadly it will be Kotor 1 or the mmo, instead of Kotor 2.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porfiria posted:

I'd ask why, but KOTOR does probably have a better story than TFA (which is damning with faint praise of course).

if disney is going to keep aping already existing stories they own no matter which arm of disney it is it's not a terrible idea to do it more like marvel where the already existing stories aren't all that well-known outside of nerd circles

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sadly it will be Kotor 1 or the mmo, instead of Kotor 2.

Yeah, kotor 1 was fun in spite of the story, which was extremely repetitive. Like of course it was a video game, but it was also repetitive in terms of star wars.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Doctor Aphra movie when?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Does KOTOR2 have a good story? I never played it 'cause it got a bad rap at the time, the specifics of which I no longer remember.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bleck posted:

Does KOTOR2 have a good story? I never played it 'cause it got a bad rap at the time, the specifics of which I no longer remember.

The knock on it was that it was shoved out the door unfinished, the story is bottom tier for Obsidian or whatever they were called at the time but decent. The problem it has in its current incarnations is that the traditional BioWare combat is lame

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The story is alright, but the characters and dialogue are way better than the first one.

Every interaction with Kreia was great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

It had an interesting villain. One of your party members is a powerful force user who seems to disdain you no matter which choices you make and at the end it's revealed she's got her own plan to destroy the Force to return free will to the people.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PostNouveau posted:

It had an interesting villain. One of your party members is a powerful force user who seems to disdain you no matter which choices you make and at the end it's revealed she's got her own plan to destroy the Force to return free will to the people.

This is only like 60% accurate but the impression isn't wrong. It has some of the best character writing in any Star Wars property even though the overarching plot kinda falls apart at the end, probably because it was rushed out the door for Christmas 04.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
So has anyone made the argument yet that Pasaana is the now third name for the planet formerly known as Jakku and formerly known as Tatooine?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

This is only like 60% accurate but the impression isn't wrong.

Yeah, it's been awhile.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Teek posted:

So has anyone made the argument yet that Pasaana is the now third name for the planet formerly known as Jakku and formerly known as Tatooine?

They change the name of that planet every time the galactic capital moves.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Sith Lords is brought down by the fact they try to make the Force adhere to D&D class/alignment which is not how it remotely works

But it does lead to some lovely interactions with Kreia as you slowly drive her insane, so...silver lining?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The writer's resume is...mixed: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0436164/?ref_=rvi_nm

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Good lord, you're not kidding. Shutter Island, yay! Alexander, poo poo. Alita: Battle Angel, yay! Terminator: Genysis, poo poo.

A real roll of the dice there.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vinylshadow posted:

The Sith Lords is brought down by the fact they try to make the Force adhere to D&D class/alignment which is not how it remotely works

TBH the first KOTOR was already well on its way to doing that and it should be ignored as much as possible because it's a game-ism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The whole idea of Grey Jedi is easily one of the dumbest things to ever come out of Star Wars.