Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

That's not fair. It's open world and traversal mechanics are very very good. Unfortunately, that's it. Combat is bad. Dungeons are bad. Cut scenes are bad. I'd have liked to see the original version before it was edited for the switch. I suspect it was mostly the same, but they clearly cut stuff out because the Wii U couldn't be the better version.

I do eagerly look forward to the next Zelda in this engine. I suspect it will be really good.

i've given up on "A" team zelda games. haven't really liked one since twilight princess which had its own problems. "B" teams link between worlds blew me away, though, even though it was almost like a mod of a game. which is fine by me. looking forward to the link awakening remake, after that i couldn't care less about whatever next mainline game is announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Minish Cap graphics would be a huge improvement. The remake looks like they were going for a Yoshi's Woolly/Crafted World type stylized look but it just falls so flat.
Original:

Minish Cap:

Switch remake:
:wtc:

My eyes start hurting whenever I look at the Switch remake. I think it's the blurred edges because my eyes are trying desperately to bring it into focus.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

i mean. zelda 2 is a bad game, but not because it's not a zelda game. it's a bad game because it controls like molasses and everything feels like ice physics.

Yeah Zelda 2 doesn't really deserve rehabilitating, it just sucks. Battle for Olympus is basically a fixed Zelda 2 though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

seeing people complain about the zelda 2 controls is really weird because I’ve always thought it’s one of the best controlled games on the NES - it’s just that everything else about the game design is either boring or actively bad

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Zelda 2 Is A Souls-Like

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Zelda 2's only contribution to the series is the excellent dungeon music.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Zelda 2's only contribution to the series is the excellent dungeon music.

A game whose most enduring legacy was a badly-translated programmers' joke

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

food court bailiff posted:

seeing people complain about the zelda 2 controls is really weird because I’ve always thought it’s one of the best controlled games on the NES - it’s just that everything else about the game design is either boring or actively bad

link's jump in zelda 2 was really stubby, he couldn't run, and the range of his sword was really short. giving him a run, making his sword longer and giving him a better jump would've definitely made that game better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

maybe it's just me but i always felt the movement was really slippery, at least compared to other platformers like mega man or castlevania. and don't even get me started on that "enemies with mirror-reactive guarding" bullshit. the enemy design in zelda 2 is horrible enough to have its own roast thread

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I don't thing BoTW is a bad game by any metric, but it has quite a few poor choices in it. I missed having various macguffins for puzzles and play. And the world feels very empty in a lot of places. The weapon durability could have been a little more forgiving in the earlier areas as well, often leaving you carrying as many lovely sticks and clubs as you can to avoid being left with literally no weapons. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so annoying if Link could at least throw a punch or something.

Also maybe some more thought put into the Hyrule Castle area. It's supposed to be the final dungeon, yet just a small amount of prep work can let you scale the entire back of the castle and bypass the entire thing. Honestly the dungeons are far and away the weakest of probably any 3D Zelda.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AAA games tend to be competently done experiences with nothing all that great or interesting going for them. Rarely bad. Rarely if ever great. Almost never creative/different.
Indie games have a wider range. Great games, terrible games, things that are hardly games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main change I would make would just be some dungeons that you spend a notable amount of time in. I liked the shrines but with the effort they put in to make 120 of them they could have made 30 more substantial dungeons that you could actually spend some time in. Still the shrines are way better than most no effort content in open world games. They could have used some visual variety though.

A few things like durability and cooking could be tweaked to make it feel less tedious for sure.

It never felt barren to me. There’s always something to do within spitting distance. It’s definitely a quiet world compared to most games but I thought that was a good thing.

Overall it’s not a perfect game but it’s the blueprint for a drat near perfect game imo, and flaws aside it’s probably one of the top ten most enjoyable games I’ve ever played. I think it’s the only long open world game I’ve played twice and I’d probably play it a third time down the road.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

AAA games tend to be competently done experiences with nothing all that great or interesting going for them. Rarely bad. Rarely if ever great. Almost never creative/different.
Indie games have a wider range. Great games, terrible games, things that are hardly games.

People that say they hate indie games make me laugh because it’s basically just like saying “I refuse to listen to anything but top 40 radio” there’s not a single thing that is indicative of what an indie game actually is other than not being a AAA game. Its such a dumb thing to hate on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

People that say they hate indie games make me laugh because it’s basically just like saying “I refuse to listen to anything but top 40 radio” there’s not a single thing that is indicative of what an indie game actually is other than not being a AAA game. Its such a dumb thing to hate on.

No it's literally the opposite of that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't thing BoTW is a bad game by any metric, but it has quite a few poor choices in it. I missed having various macguffins for puzzles and play. And the world feels very empty in a lot of places. The weapon durability could have been a little more forgiving in the earlier areas as well, often leaving you carrying as many lovely sticks and clubs as you can to avoid being left with literally no weapons. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so annoying if Link could at least throw a punch or something.

Also maybe some more thought put into the Hyrule Castle area. It's supposed to be the final dungeon, yet just a small amount of prep work can let you scale the entire back of the castle and bypass the entire thing. Honestly the dungeons are far and away the weakest of probably any 3D Zelda.

Agreed on the weapon durability and overall emptiness of the world. The Castle area design was totally intentional, though, I think. They leaned pretty hard into the "you can beat the game right after leaving the intro area" thing.

I actually thought Hyrule Castle was a fun run, and my biggest complaint about the dungeons were that they were short, and there were only 4 of them. I think the actual designs and mechanics of the dungeons were great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

No it's literally the opposite of that.

What the hell are you talking about?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

I moved away from AAAs awhile back but I picked up RE7 on sale recently and yeah this pretty much describes it. It's not a bad game by any means. It's just that when you get through the intro section the game feels surprising safe. And I don't want to say the gameplay is easy, it's just not particularly engaging. Find this thing, open this door, kill this bad guy, run from that one, do it all over again. It's like everything in that series has progressed except the basic game design.

Meanwhile I'm having much more fun with Baba Is You, which has innovative game design and the most barebones presentation imaginable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is that AAA games are a lot like Disney movies at this point where they're so terrified of failure or doing something dangerously innovative that scares off some audience segment that they're over-managed to the point where they can't really succeed at being anything other than mediocre at best.

Basically the same issues as the blockbuster model where as a result of studio greed and hatred of taking risks and yet refusing to go for anything but the most saturated mass-market audience means there's very little in between indie garage projects and megablockbusters. Crowdfunded games basically came to fill that gap.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sometimes its fun to play an indie game like baba is you, sometimes its fun to see the graphics and sound that only a big budget can bring.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You know what I love about indie games? They boot up quickly and I can shut them down when I'm bored. They also go well with background audiobooks and language courses and stuff. AAA games feel bulky and like a loving ordeal.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

You know what I love about indie games? They boot up quickly and I can shut them down when I'm bored. They also go well with background audiobooks and language courses and stuff. AAA games feel bulky and like a loving ordeal.

The loading times in big games are good because you get to see the logos of all the 20 companies that were somehow involved with making the game. One at a time. Every time.

Some people like to skip them but lol at pressing ESC 20 times. Or Space. Maybe Enter?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Shibawanko posted:

one thing that is relatively insane about modern society is that there are all sorts of claims about marketing that are either on their face insane - for instance, we have the proliferation of television ads for drugs where the condition the drug is supposed to treat is not described and an announcer spends a minute describing the unpleasant side effects of the drugs. There are all these studies about brand name awareness, the notion that showing a logo onscreen multiple times somehow conditions consumers to buy product displaying said logo more, and given that we have serious epistemic issues with medical trials of all things, I'd say that the probability that advertising and marketing is mostly junk science is extremely high - it's entirely possible that the marketing department in a company works something akin to a brain parasite (such as toxoplasmosis) and that the science evolved as a bullshitter's camouflage - I mean, who clicks on pop-up ads? Why are all the news sites making you uninstall ad block? Then you consider that all these big companies like google etc. ostensibly made all their money through this ridiculous way and it leads to the notion that the entire modern economy emerged completely out of thin air.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

Battle for Olympus is basically a fixed Zelda 2 though.

yikes!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

one thing that is relatively insane about modern society is that there are all sorts of claims about marketing that are either on their face insane - for instance, we have the proliferation of television ads for drugs where the condition the drug is supposed to treat is not described and an announcer spends a minute describing the unpleasant side effects of the drugs. There are all these studies about brand name awareness, the notion that showing a logo onscreen multiple times somehow conditions consumers to buy product displaying said logo more, and given that we have serious epistemic issues with medical trials of all things, I'd say that the probability that advertising and marketing is mostly junk science is extremely high - it's entirely possible that the marketing department in a company works something akin to a brain parasite (such as toxoplasmosis) and that the science evolved as a bullshitter's camouflage - I mean, who clicks on pop-up ads? Why are all the news sites making you uninstall ad block? Then you consider that all these big companies like google etc. ostensibly made all their money through this ridiculous way and it leads to the notion that the entire modern economy emerged completely out of thin air.

You'll like this https://meltingasphalt.com/ads-dont-work-that-way

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

veni veni veni posted:

:emptyquote:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bogus Adventure posted:

My eyes start hurting whenever I look at the Switch remake. I think it's the blurred edges because my eyes are trying desperately to bring it into focus.

:same:

I don't mind the art direction, but that stupid blur needs to go

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gave Kingdom come: Deliverance another shot and it has been patched enough that's it's playable and actually pretty fun now

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Mario Maker 2 is going to be the best game on the Switch

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

internet celebrity posted:

Mario Maker 2 is going to be the best game on the Switch

Sensible outlooks thread for this hot take

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

gave Kingdom come: Deliverance another shot and it has been patched enough that's it's playable and actually pretty fun now

Was wondering about this. That's good to hear. The team definitely never gave up on it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

They sold us a buggy unfinished piece of poo poo but a couple years later it's fixed so go ahead and give them your money now. All is forgiven as long as I can play my video games.

See also: No Man's Sky.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't give a poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They sold us a buggy unfinished piece of poo poo but a couple years later it's fixed so go ahead and give them your money now. All is forgiven as long as I can play my video games.

Is this sarcasm? Are you saying that because poo poo idiots bamboozled themselves by buying a game at launch, people shouldn't buy it now that it works?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kingdom come is pretty decent now but i liked mount and blade a lot better. they were supposedly working on a new one and had some cool screenshots but that was years and years ago i guess it never happened

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is this sarcasm? Are you saying that because poo poo idiots bamboozled themselves by buying a game at launch, people shouldn't buy it now that it works?

Are you saying that a company that releases buggy garbage and takes well over a year to fix it shouldn't continue to receive money from consumers? Like, you want them to be held to some kind of...some kind of STANDARD? But..but MY VIDEOGAMES. It's okay if they hosed thousands of people, as long as they're not loving meeeeee. And actually even if they gently caress me I'll be cool with it because I...I can't face the world without my video games, I just can't!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Supporting companies that sell broken, unfinished things is bad, yes.

Like, imagine if your friend bought a chair, went home and found it was missing some of the pieces and the cushion was on the underside of the seat. Why the hell would you ever buy a chair from them after that even if you knew you were getting a working chair?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Are you saying that a company that releases buggy garbage and takes well over a year to fix it shouldn't continue to receive money from consumers? Like, you want them to be held to some kind of...some kind of STANDARD? But..but MY VIDEOGAMES. It's okay if they hosed thousands of people, as long as they're not loving meeeeee. And actually even if they gently caress me I'll be cool with it because I...I can't face the world without my video games, I just can't!

the post of a guy who totally doesn't care about videogames

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't buy companies, I buy products. And yeah its OK to gently caress nerds.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
*RE4 Merchant voice* I'll buy it at a low price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It would be one thing if the game was just garden variety bad/unfinished at release. Game sucked before, but now it doesn't? Ok, maybe worth a buy.

But this is like, the developer directly and unambiguously lied about objective things like "the game has multiplayer". Unironically if half the things their spokesperson said in interviews had instead appeared on the game's packaging it would be criminal false advertising. In the context of a consumer/business relationship that's unforgivable, imo.