Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I look forward to the day Mozu survives an entire mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't think this would be nearly as successful a production if missions didn't verge into catastrophe on a dime.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I, for one, am enjoying the Adventures of Mozu & Friends & Multiple Murder Moms (plus odd couple Silas and Orochi).

Do pairings still get support points if one person dies during the mission? Because if they don't, it seems like Scarlet's in the lead so far for Chome Points so far.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I assume <3 points get tallied as they come in, same as EXP.

Do enemies ever pair up? That could make for an interesting tactical challenge.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

HitTheTargets posted:

I assume <3 points get tallied as they come in, same as EXP.

Do enemies ever pair up? That could make for an interesting tactical challenge.

ya, benny and charlotte did last map

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Some enemies start maps paired up, but they won't actively do so during a map.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Nohr uniform code

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I forgot all about Benny once I got a closer look at Charlotte. Turns out Fire Emblem is Nintendo's horny on main series.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Charlotte's outfit has an in-game justification. Granted, it's a flimsy one, but they try (insofar as any of the writing in this game is trying), much unlike Camilla.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Enemies use pair-up a lot more frequently in Conquest than in Birthright.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1131364112431165440

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 28 - Wolfskin Peak (part 3)

'heroic' sacrifices, war crime regrets, blood sport betting, magic gunk

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh yeah, Vicas mentioned the level cap being 20.
The Fates games have an item you can use when the character is a promoted class & max level that boosts their level cap by +5. (Eternal Seal, I think it was.)
And said item spawns somewhat regularly in a max-upgraded shop. (And also a couple dlc classes and stuff have higher caps.)

So the only thing capping characters is really their stat caps, but even those can be upgraded through those statues you get in the dragonscape-mindpalace.
(You already have a level 1 statue for Chome I believe. It increases the cap of their talent-related stat. If I'm not completely misremembering, this bonus extends to all close allies if you level the statue up once, and then to all allies at level 3. )
(I thought the statues unlocked with the amount of support ranks or something, but apparently they unlock based on how many kills that character has.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What a loving turn for the game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Of all the bizarre bullshit Fates pulls, Kaze randomly dying due to a tragic Magical Landslide Incident because you haven't become best friends with him yet is really in the top tier of Bizarre Bullshit.

That said, the cutscene where he does die is really funny, because he just flings Chome several feet into the air, onto Hinoka's pegasus (She's there for some reason) and then falls into the pit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
and she isnt able to ride her flying horse down and save him?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kuvo posted:

and she isnt able to ride her flying horse down and save him?

Of course not. Hoshidans know well of mandatory plot deaths and greatly respect their authority.

RareAcumen posted:

What a loving turn for the game.

But since it was a bunch of furries, nobody will care all that much. The games are pretty blasé about the mass murder the main cast dishes out as long as it isn’t Hoshidans that you personally know dying.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Chome at least has the double excuses of having been deliberately kept in the dark about the outside world and being kinda dim in general, the rest of the Hoshidan siblings should know better. Some of them would have even interacted in the past with these groups they're now wantonly slaughtering with only a 'oh how tragic' as their reactions.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Chome at least has the double excuses of having been deliberately kept in the dark about the outside world and being kinda dim in general, the rest of the Hoshidan siblings should know better. Some of them would have even interacted in the past with these groups they're now wantonly slaughtering with only a 'oh how tragic' as their reactions.

If Fates were a halfway competently written story, this would be a real plot point. Nohr is obviously in the wrong, but the people are desperate and willing to do whatever it takes to survive. Meanwhile, Hoshido is callous to those outside their traditional allies and just fine with slaughtering anyone in their path to “justice” against Garon. It would go a long way to making the nations seem in any way balanced instead of kissing the feet of Not!Japan every few minutes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They literally have an 'it's okay when we do it' character in Azura. If she wasn't so gung-ho about how that's the best thing that ever happened to her and she wants to kill her dad even more than Hoshido...

I mean I could normally buy the possibility that it's a ruse and she's trying to do a betrayal and mess the Chome-gang up, but people keep saying how bad the story is so I doubt that'll happen.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm kinda surprised they went all-in on the "we murdered EVERYONE in this tribe" approach instead of having the Conquest-playable grunt characters surviving in cutscenes. I could see Chome being merciful and not killing them -- I mean it happened with Silas! But I guess if you aren't a Fates royal or their direct retainer in this universe, then you're screwed :v:

Judging from support strength alone, Scarlet's is a lot more interesting than Reina's. Seems like a pretty clear winner candidate to me.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Scarlet is awesome and I'm still mad she wasn't the gay option for female Chome.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The big problem with Scarlet is that she has a lot of interactions with Ryoma, but she's an MC-exclusive support option. Like, to try and draw a parallel she's somewhat similar to Basilio/Flavia in terms of place they join in the plot and story interactions with someone else, but at least those two could support each other in addition to the MC. At least for Awakening even most of the near-exclusive supports (those two, Tiki, Say'ri, a few others) had at least one or two other ones - and it at least somewhat made sense given they were normally major story individuals only peripherally connected with the main group of Shepherds. Here, Scarlet literally joins as part of the gang after this point, and yet has no supports with anyone else. This is NOT going to be the last character this happens with either.

There's another issue with Scarlet too, but it doesn't come up in this route.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Scarlet's support owns, and is one of the few in the entire game that's genuinely really fun, so I'm willing to give her a pass.

Also, it speaks leagues of this game that there's such an obvious designated Good People and designated Bad People, but when you think about it for just 30 seconds, the Good People are just as bad, if not worse than the Bad People.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

inthesto posted:

Scarlet's support owns, and is one of the few in the entire game that's genuinely really fun, so I'm willing to give her a pass.

Also, it speaks leagues of this game that there's such an obvious designated Good People and designated Bad People, but when you think about it for just 30 seconds, the Good People are just as bad, if not worse than the Bad People.

Uh, they're really, REALLY not. Not to say how hamfistedly the good/bad manner was handled is a good thing (or that overall characterizations don't tend to vary wildly by route, which is yet another issue), but as presented in the plot let's not try and equivocate Hoshido's actions (even those presented as good when a moment of thought should pretty clearly show that they're not) as somehow worse overall than Nohr's own.

And this one in particular is a fairly nonsense one, as it's not like there was some wording of them slaughtering unresisting wolfkin. According to the game apparently the entire population (which apparently consisted solely of maybe 30 people). all decided to turn out to try and kill the people passing through, despite this making absolutely no sense for any number of reasons. Supposed genocide by way of "literally their entire population attempted to kill me (REALLY!!!) with no remorse" is somewhat hard to place on the good/bad scale, because it's not a remotely comparable thing to ANYTHING in history - accusations of such to justify abhorrent stuff sure, but it actually happening? Not so much. Spoiler: It's not like Nohr gets to avoid this issue either.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 24, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Uh, they're really, REALLY not. Not to say how hamfistedly the good/bad manner was handled is a good thing (or that overall characterizations don't tend to vary wildly by route, which is yet another issue), but as presented in the plot let's not try and equivocate Hoshido's actions (even those presented as good when a moment of thought should pretty clearly show that they're not) as somehow worse overall than Nohr's own.

And this one in particular is a fairly nonsense one, as it's not like there was some wording of them slaughtering unresisting wolfkin. According to the game apparently the entire population (which apparently consisted solely of maybe 30 people). all decided to turn out to try and kill the people passing through, despite this making absolutely no sense for any number of reasons. Supposed genocide by way of "literally their entire population attempted to kill me (REALLY!!!) with no remorse" is somewhat hard to place on the good/bad scale, because it's not a remotely comparable thing to ANYTHING in history - accusations of such to justify abhorrent stuff sure, but it actually happening? Not so much. Spoiler: It's not like Nohr gets to avoid this issue either.

See, that’s the thing. The game comes up with increasingly convoluted scenarios so that anything Hosido does is fully justified no matter how horrible it looks when any real thought is applied to it. This last scenario looks like the writers were determined to enforce the “one furry per route” rule, but wanted to backtrack to not make the side that they deemed “the Good Guys” seem at all questionable. It’s not like they even bothered to give the Wolfskin a reason to keep fighting to the last man besides them just being there.

It’s the combination of things like this event, Mikoto’s magic mind warping country cover barrier that conveniently does not prevent violence from Hoshidans, and the constant talk of just how rich and bountiful the land is that make Hoshido less and less sympathetic. It’s obvious that the writers wanted to make a very simple set of morally contrasting nations, but failed to realize that they weren’t creating an ideal nation in Hoshido, but an annoying fan fiction utopia that falls apart with any logic.

Despite that, Nohr comes off as more sympathetic on the whole. Sure, it has Garon and his cartoonishly evil three flunkies, but aside from them, the writers gave the characters from there actual struggles to overcome and the nation a defined past that explains why so many of the people are messed up. They aren’t complex or really particularly well written struggles, but they have potential and give you something to listen to.

Hoshido, on the other hand, has basically nothing. There is no history for the land beyond the previous king existing. There are no struggles not directly caused by Nohr. The characters almost all grew up in happy homes and get along with each other. When they support one another, it’s usually painfully dull and their in-story actions are either generic or just plain dumb. Their queen gives them all they want, was a flawless maternal figure to all, made a barrier that created peace just by being there, and promptly died one chapter after being introduced just so you could feel sad that she was dead before forgetting she existed. All the nation really has is the writers telling you that you should really appreciate how perfect Not!Japan is and why you should always be loyal to it. It comes off as cultural posturing fan fiction rather than a real attempt at a setting. For all the flak Awakening got, at least they had some actual historical wrongdoing that explained why Plegia hated Chrom’s family.

It’s especially bad here when they give you a choice between the two nations, but still write it so that one is the objectively “right” answer while the other is clearly the villains in denial. It could have been at least somewhat mitigated if they’d bother to make some history for the two nations. Give them a real reason to fight instead of making Nohr the eternal aggressors while poor, innocent Hoshido never did anything wrong, even when they did.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 24, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Honestly not even sure why the Wolfskin tribe needs to show up in the first place in the Hoshido route. The whole thing just screams "gratuitous war crimes engineered by the bad guys to give you even more reason to stop them, even though you've already got more than enough just with them trying to kill you way back in the prologue stages." And if they're going that far, why not just do it themselves?

Also, there's the issue of the massive disparity of resources that other viewers have brought up. This disparity makes one question exactly where Nohr got the military power needed to even attempt a war, let alone do so well in it that the only way to end it is to assassinate their leaders. Or even any military power at all, since "not enough resources" implies FAMINE. Why are there even people in Nohr at all? It's like people going to colonize the Sahara, and then getting mad at everyone else for not giving them everything they need to build a utopia there despite how obviously IDIOTIC it is to even go there.

So yeah, Fates as a whole would make much more sense if both sides were more objectively equal, rather than Nohr just magically pulling everything they need to fight a war out of their collective asses, including enough fully-trained soldiers to match their enemies in a place that only supports a tenth of the population of their own military (forget comparing to the enemies, whose only limiting factor is living space). Like, either make the guys in charge blatantly evil and leave it at that, or give Nohr issues with keeping their citizens supplied WITHOUT making them a burnt-out wasteland. I mean, it's good from a "contrast" standpoint, but even the slightest thought on the logistics side makes the whole thing fall apart.

And yeah, the "you aren't gluing Kaze to the Avatar's side 24/7? Well, screw you, you don't get to keep him if you don't!" thing is just gratuitous. I mean, I've read criticism complaining about adding characters that don't need to be there, but said criticism has another side to it: If you're going to kill a character off (for video games, this refers primarily to plot deaths), make sure it actually contributes to the story or another character's personality rather than just doing it to be edgy or to cull the cast (or in this case, for no apparent reason other than to spite the player). This is not the only time this complaint comes up in Fates, nor even the worst.

Another thing I've been wondering about : Why don't you just have both the maid AND the butler from the start? There is literally no in-universe reason for one of them to stay behind. The knight... dubious. I mean, him falling off the bridge back before the route split felt a bit gratuitous, but on the other hand it fits the "reason to awaken the hero's Protagonist Powers" thing... except Queen What's-her-rear end fits the same role, possibly even... I hesitate to say "better" about anything in this train wreck, but I can't think of any other way to put it; she's certainly more expendable than killing off a party member, though. Hans, meanwhile, outstays his welcome- he'd already served his plot purpose by attacking that fort, so why didn't you just execute him afterwards, tell everyone that he died in combat, and have that be the end of his involvement... or even just have him legitimately die in combat? (I feel like I've complained about him here before, but it bears repeating: The writers killed off a party member and spared a villain who doesn't even contribute anything anymore.)

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

Fedule posted:

I don't think this would be nearly as successful a production if missions didn't verge into catastrophe on a dime.

Kuvo is not often a professional on things that he has a hate/love relationship, yes this includes his job since I recall him saying he wasn't wearing pants during a group call

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 29 - Invasion 1 and Challenge

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 28, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just as a heads up, this isn't like X-COM, you can just back out of a mission once you've started one with no penalties. So when the invasion started and people were just spread around the map chaotically because everyone's position is determined by the buildings you've got set everywhere., you have the option to just back out and put the buildings around in a better spot. But that depends on how much effort you're willing to put into those battles.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Rise of Mozu is my favorite Fire Emblem story.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I wasn't expecting the high point of this series to come in a filler episode.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, what a way to announce the upcoming Chome Emblem anime.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That song was truly a thing of beauty

Does the group know what Mozu's not-so-hidden power is yet? I'm sure Vicas knows the gist of it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:hmmyes:

So this is the mid-season anime training arc I've always heard about.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

If Mozu is anything like Donnel in Awakening, level 10 is about when they start holding their own.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Oh my god the Venus Wars song was just perfect.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
The quicker way is to reclass her into Dread Fighter as soon as you can, then Mozu becomes a shitwrecker.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm sure you've had scenes where he actually does talk to a male character at the hot springs, and has something like a conversation.
Is it just biased, or are you guys unlucky? Would a female Chome be walking in on the boys all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In the anime the main plot is Chome going into the hotsprings and meeting up/running away from the various people he meets there. Meanwhile the Nohr/Hoshido conflict is filler episodes.