Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah I figure it would be a little too hard. So I think I want to go in the other direction and add something to make the game just a little harder to compensate. Any suggestions? New Enemy types? Mechanics? Something I can add right in the middle of a running campaign.

for extra enemies I use: Pathfinders (this adds a bunch of stuff - enemies, items, weapons, cosmetics), Flame Vipers, Archon pack, Advent Duelist, and a couple other things I don't remember off the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If I wasn't huge on XCOM and likely won't be huge on XCOM2 but might as well grab it on sale for a playthrough, what DLC should I get for the full experience? Any must-haves?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have a good purist/QoL/vanilla+ mod list? I want to play through again with all the dlc as well as the legacy pack.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phigs posted:

If I wasn't huge on XCOM and likely won't be huge on XCOM2 but might as well grab it on sale for a playthrough, what DLC should I get for the full experience? Any must-haves?

War of the Chosen completely updates the game from beginning to end and is the definitive experience. The others are nice but not as fundamental to the overall gameplay experience as War of the Chosen.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you wanna get deep into mods I would suggest getting all the DLC, but outside of wotc it's fairly optional yeah.

xcom 2 - good
plus dlc - better
plus wotc - insane good
plus mods - never uninstalling this

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

How many gigs is WotC on top of the base game? Would love to finally pick it up, but I don't think there's any way to cram it onto my SSD without some serious shuffling.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

zenguitarman posted:

How many gigs is WotC on top of the base game? Would love to finally pick it up, but I don't think there's any way to cram it onto my SSD without some serious shuffling.

Big. My copy of XCOM2 + WotC and some mods comes in at just shy of 75 gigs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
if you install wotc, it actually installs a second copy of the game. plus wotc on top of that. that's not a joke. I guess it's so you can play either but...it seems a bit extreme.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

if you install wotc, it actually installs a second copy of the game. plus wotc on top of that. that's not a joke. I guess it's so you can play either but...it seems a bit extreme.

That seems dumb.

But explains why my whole install + mods is like 96gb. On a 128 ssd no less.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Found in spaceflight thread:

https://twitter.com/SolomonJake/status/1126116362320076801

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
NASA set to demonstrate X-ray communications in space

quote:

A new experimental type of deep space communications technology is scheduled to be demonstrated on the International Space Station this spring.

Currently, NASA relies on radio waves to send information between spacecraft and Earth. Emerging laser communications technology offers higher data rates that let spacecraft transmit more data at a time. This demonstration involves X-ray communications, or XCOM, which offers even more advantages.

X-rays have much shorter wavelengths than both infrared and radio. This means that, in principle, XCOM can send more data for the same amount of transmission power. The X-rays can broadcast in tighter beams, thus using less energy when communicating over vast distances.
I'm laughing, it's so great.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
someone at nasa was having a real fuckin laugh when he dropped in “COMMUNICO CONFIDO”

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bless them

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
X-rays spotted.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

X-RAY DOWN to the receiving station

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
That's it. ADVENT is next. Mark my words.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Node posted:

ADVanced Electronic Neutrino Tracker?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

i hope the test signal they send is ‘fix your game jake’

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Node posted:

What do you mean "next?" To me, Advent always parsed as basically being just the Republican party turned up to 11, but with aliens and alien hybrids instead of psychotic rich assholes and MAGA chuds. The Evil Philip DeFranco type guy you keep hearing after missions is just the main anchor on Alien Fox News.

e: You can basically substitute "Elders" in for "job creators" in any given political statement and it starts to sound like something Evil DeFranco would say

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 21, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

the next xcom-related nasa thing. chill

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Everything by the numbers

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

What do you mean "next?" To me, Advent always parsed as basically being just the Republican party turned up to 11, but with aliens and alien hybrids instead of psychotic rich assholes and MAGA chuds. The Evil Philip DeFranco type guy you keep hearing after missions is just the main anchor on Alien Fox News.

e: You can basically substitute "Elders" in for "job creators" in any given political statement and it starts to sound like something Evil DeFranco would say

TK-42-1 posted:

the next xcom-related nasa thing. chill

this is one of the funniest loving exchanges in this thread

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah that was admittedly pretty funny.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please don't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It *is* kinda depressing that the occupying future tech psychic interstellar empire still didn't end capitalism

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That's what XCOM is for, baby!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One thing that did stick in my craw was that I don’t think anyone ever referred to XCOM as terrorists

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basic Chunnel posted:

One thing that did stick in my craw was that I don’t think anyone ever referred to XCOM as terrorists

Imagine if "Guerrilla Ops" were called "Terror Missions"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I've never played this game or XCOM 1, or really any turn based strategy, but it's on sale with a bunch of dlc for $35. I used to play the hell out of Starcraft, DoW, Warhammer: Total War, and stuff like that, but I've never so much as touched this. I did like Darkest Dungeon, which I know isn't the same, but I'm a pretty big fan of brutally difficult strategy games. Will I like this?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've never played this game or XCOM 1, or really any turn based strategy, but it's on sale with a bunch of dlc for $35. I used to play the hell out of Starcraft, DoW, Warhammer: Total War, and stuff like that, but I've never so much as touched this. I did like Darkest Dungeon, which I know isn't the same, but I'm a pretty big fan of brutally difficult strategy games. Will I like this?

None of those games are like x-com 2 so who knows. All I can tell you is that this game is really fun and a lot of thought was put into its development to make it a good game. I'd buy it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah I figured it would be hard to compare to, but it does look fun.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Enjoy hunting for the perfect pixel to aim your grenade at!

(no, I'm not bitter)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Yeah I figured it would be hard to compare to, but it does look fun.

The first game has (tutorial + simple mission) demo if you want to try it out.

The basic gameplay is having bunch of options and making constant risk analysis ("should I try to shoot him with 90% accuracy or just use a grenade, or maybe I try to flank but...") which isn't for everyone, but I love 'em.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

it’s way more tactical in the majority of gameplay. if you’ve played turn based tactical games and enjoyed them Xcom2 is high up the list of the best ones.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like those games and I like this game. It’s a good game. Buy it!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you're a fan of brutally difficult strategy games you're going to at least be pleased with XCOM. i would hesitate from calling it brutally difficult (the game can get quite formulaic after you know what's going on, until then it can get pretty hairy) but darkest dungeon's character investment backdrop was inspired directly by XCOM.

basically

Bogart posted:

I like those games and I like this game. It’s a good game. Buy it!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Xcom also has an addictive quality of just one more mission or one more research project etc. It's hard to explain why, but there is always something coming up.

It's very easy to think you'll play 1 mission for half an hour and then 3 hours later and it's way past your bed time.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

The game is challenging and can make you feel like a genius when you win flawlessly. XCOM 2 has more ways of wounding and killing your bespoke army men and women than XCOM but how crushingly difficult you want it is up to you. I'd suggest not doing a Legendary difficulty Ironman run on your first playthrough - It'll ruin the fun and gets pretty tedious.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A Perfect Twist posted:

The game is challenging and can make you feel like a genius when you win flawlessly. XCOM 2 has more ways of wounding and killing your bespoke army men and women than XCOM but how crushingly difficult you want it is up to you. I'd suggest not doing a Legendary difficulty Ironman run on your first playthrough - It'll ruin the fun and gets pretty tedious.

I've been playing this game for years and still play veteran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

I've been playing this game for years and still play veteran

same. i can only take so much punishment daddy. i mean central. i mean.... i’m so confused.

thing with xcom is that it’s frontloaded difficulty. you’re going to gently caress up a lot in the beginning but eventually you’ll figure out what you’re supposed to be doing and while hard there’s light at the end of the tunnel.