Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pretty cool you don't have to send them your SSN and birth certificate tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Boiler ventilation and bulkhead divisions are more exciting than the dumb shooty-shooty part where some Hun blows up all your precious designs

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Ultimate Admiral looks cool, but I worry I won't be able to save up enough box tops to get my secret decoder ring to decrypt my serial key.

Naval Enigma for DRM or I am out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm still in very early days, but I got an actually interesting convoy battle in my second month of Italy v France.

I'm short a CA that's under repair from last month, so it's just the two CAs. This time, I'm hunting transports. We make a contact identified as a B. That's not good, but I figure at night fighting ranges my cruisers might be able to hold their own.

It's working out pretty well when I get an ID on my opponent, "just" a CA doing a sacrificial stand to keep me away from the convoy. I had seen a few other ships, identified as CLs, but they left their big brother to fight at two to one odds. And die, I set him on fire and plugged him with a torpedo. A gallant defense, but elan will not stop shells.

That left me in the middle of the Med with no idea where the convoy had gotten to. I flipped a coin and head South. And lucky me, I catch the convoy just outside of port, with only 4 small (440 and 500 tons) destroyers. A few transports got into port and off the map, but I sank 7.

Score another major victory for Italy !

Month three was a bit of a downer. One of my trade protection CLs caught itself a CA. Being faster by 4 knots, I decided to risk it, and promptly ate a 7" shell in an engine room, dropping me to 13 knots. I actually managed to drive the better-armed French cruiser off, but took a minor defeat since my ship was more severely damaged.

Even being years from aircraft, RTW2 is delivering fun and engaging gameplay.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hippocrass posted:

Looks neat, but no carriers/subs.

Maybe Ultimate Admiral 2?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Hippocrass posted:

Looks neat, but they only included the actual fun parts of botefights and left out the boring-but-effective things that dominated reality

Look, all i'm saying is, if the kaiser can't pick it up in his bathtub and bonk it into another one, i refuse to acknowledge it as a warship.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ultimate Admiral Nations List posted:

British Empire
German Empire
French Empire
United States
Russian Empire
Austro-Hungarian Empire
Italian Empire
Empire of Japan
Spanish Empire
Chinese Empire

RIP Sick Man of Europe.

[edit] I do like that it sounds like all nations will be active in every game. But c'mon, why not include the Ottomans? They're about as valid as China is for the time period.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 20, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ultimate Admiral has subs.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

RIP Sick Man of Europe.

[edit] I do like that it sounds like all nations will be active in every game. But c'mon, why not include the Ottomans? They're about as valid as China is for the time period.

Because they realize that the reason RTW did well at all is because it's a sandbox game first, and grog game second.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

How does that preclude the Ottomans? Including them would be good because it makes the Mediterranean even more of a thunderdome.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'm saying that is why China and the Ottomans are in the game, also someone to beat up as AH or Italy or Japan is always nice.

RTW was successful because it married paradox style map painting and ahistorical outcomes to a relatively deep but not absurdly complex ship builder ( Which I'm thinking was actually just a Dev tool for the previous SAI engine games) to a easy to learn, relatively fast paced battle system ala Total War.

UA: Dreadnaughts seems to have taken that formula and decided to make it more user friendly and attractive.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Infidelicious posted:

I'm saying that is why they're in the game.

RTW was successful because it married paradox style map painting and ahistorical outcomes to a relatively deep but not absurdly complex ship builder ( Which I'm thinking was actually just a Dev tool for the previous SAI engine games) to a easy to learn, relatively fast paced battle system ala Total War.

They’re not in the list of countries that was posted.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Oh, poo poo. I thought they were in. I swear I saw them in that blog post.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

China's listed, just not the Ottomans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
extremely hype for being able to buy Ultimate Admiral from a working storefront

they should do a dev diary on that

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
According to one of the RtW devs, any airbase built on Guadalcanal will automatically be named Henderson Field

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A bunch of people from overseas have been having trouble buying the game since apparently the store isn’t properly set up to accept foreign purchases (???) but they’ve discovered that if you tell it your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC then it works and you can buy the game.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Pirate Radar posted:

According to one of the RtW devs, any airbase built on Guadalcanal will automatically be named Henderson Field

There is a port on Guadalcanal in 1900 that is named Henderson Field, any airbase built there will be Henderson Field Airbase.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

A bunch of people from overseas have been having trouble buying the game since apparently the store isn’t properly set up to accept foreign purchases (???) but they’ve discovered that if you tell it your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC then it works and you can buy the game.

NWS is just a front for Russian money laundering isn't it?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Popete posted:

NWS is just a front for Russian money laundering isn't it?

I can't see Russian mafia being patient enough to put up with this poo poo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FrangibleCover posted:

There is a port on Guadalcanal in 1900 that is named Henderson Field, any airbase built there will be Henderson Field Airbase.

Amazing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well this is probably the most bizarre war I've ever fought. Started it accidentally by rolling random + tension stuff with Germany and didn't really want to get into a war, almost my entire fleet was mothballed or in reserve because it's 1905 and everything is useless. Fought exactly 2 battles, the first is one of my pre-dreadnoughts protecting a convoy from a German armored cruiser in which I won a decisive victory without ever firing a shot because all my transports survived and another where it was my armored cruiser vs a German pre-dreadnought in which I made a torpedo run, failed to hit then withdrew as soon as I took a hit from the main gun. This one was called a draw as I had done minor damage to the pre-dreadnought. A month later I get a call for peace, took the most lenient option as I didn't really want to extend the war to the point where I was getting boring pre-dreadnought slap fests and I've been given this offer.

:shepface:

I guess I should try bailing on wars more often rather than pushing for harsh terms and trying to break the country.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Friendship ended with RTW.

Now Ultimate Admiral is my best friend.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

uPen posted:

Well this is probably the most bizarre war I've ever fought. Started it accidentally by rolling random + tension stuff with Germany and didn't really want to get into a war, almost my entire fleet was mothballed or in reserve because it's 1905 and everything is useless. Fought exactly 2 battles, the first is one of my pre-dreadnoughts protecting a convoy from a German armored cruiser in which I won a decisive victory without ever firing a shot because all my transports survived and another where it was my armored cruiser vs a German pre-dreadnought in which I made a torpedo run, failed to hit then withdrew as soon as I took a hit from the main gun. This one was called a draw as I had done minor damage to the pre-dreadnought. A month later I get a call for peace, took the most lenient option as I didn't really want to extend the war to the point where I was getting boring pre-dreadnought slap fests and I've been given this offer.

:shepface:

I guess I should try bailing on wars more often rather than pushing for harsh terms and trying to break the country.

You should have held out a little longer to see if you could have scored East Prussia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I asked in the discord but the channel's gone dead: a week or so on does anyone have any updated reflections on Uboat? How's the dev interaction with the early accessors?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Alchenar posted:

I asked in the discord but the channel's gone dead: a week or so on does anyone have any updated reflections on Uboat? How's the dev interaction with the early accessors?

I haven't played since the weekend but there seemed to be a fair amount of back and forth and regular patches.

It's still buggy as hell (most recent version I played was b119) and patches break save games in interesting ways. My b118 game was ruined by b119 when everything except other uboats stopped spawning.

Its not really a grog game tbf.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Bought RTW2 yesterday evening, still waiting on the email 14 hours later.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't help laughing every time I'm reminded of this whole 'we'll email you the code' business.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

I can't help laughing every time I'm reminded of this whole 'we'll email you the code' business.

Hopefully the dude doesn't just keel over. No code for you.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

habeasdorkus posted:

Bought RTW2 yesterday evening, still waiting on the email 14 hours later.

Took 2 days before I got mine

To be fair to the guy who owns the store though, it only took 15min for Rule the Waves 1 when that was new. So I guess he used to be better at it back then. Almost like this system doesn't scale well
:thunk:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

China's listed, just not the Ottomans.

Why are the Ottomans not in unmodded RTW and RTW2, but... the Confederacy is?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Why are the Ottomans not in unmodded RTW and RTW2, but... the Confederacy is?

I'm more disappointed that the Confederacy is only in the game if you play as them and I can't play a USA game where I spend the entire time grinding them into the dust with my General Sherman class battleships.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm more disappointed that the Confederacy is only in the game if you play as them and I can't play a USA game where I spend the entire time grinding them into the dust with my General Sherman class battleships.

When RtW1 introduced custom nations being able to use other custom nations as opponents the first thing I did was setup a custom USA variant based on the CSA’s file with the CSA replacing Italy as an opponent. I think I took someone else out and added Spain too. Even grabbed a new shipname file someone did on the NWS forums that removes southern cities and states from the USA’s name list.

I did adjust the USA’s stats down a bit since it missing the South but they’re still dramatically superior.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
So who else is waiting for Ultimate Rear Admiral.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dimitris posted:

Ultimate Rear Admiral.

This is also what it says on my Tinder profile

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

This is also what it says on my Tinder profile

Not Ultimate Rear Admiral (bottomlower half)?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Wait so Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail and Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts are two distinct games they are developing at the same time?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Age of Sail is the one that's combining naval action with Napoleonic Amphibious operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Since the old thread beat RTW1 to death I don't want to re-start it here, but does anyone have suggested posts to read from the old thread on playing RTW and how the gently caress to get started?