Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
From a few games, the cards do feel like a lot of swing. You might have the card that lets you force someone to fall back if you hit them, which is neat, or you might be the card that gives you a free M1A1 immediately, which is ridiculously good.

Electronic warfare was the other insane one since that card and a decent roll can essentially cost the other player their turn, and there's no real way of doing anything about it.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Figured out what the D6s do too. They handle morale effects. The loss of a commander is interesting, and while it does affect Warsaw Pact units slightly more, the fact that they can do more with their command points mitigates it. There's a lot of neat mechanical stuff here.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hate double posting, but one weird oversight is the USA doesn't have any ATGM infantry. Not a huge problem since infantry are largely generic across nations apart from their specific support weapons, and the Netherlands list has a Dragon team, but still... odd.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Only the Dutch man in his tulip-addled state can try to grasp the obscure operation of the Dragon and thus they are effective in its use, unlike the American.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
God dammit, is there no end to my compulsion to magnetize?

So here you can see on the flat-bed, just behind the cab, I have set two 1/8" magnets flush with the deck.

And on the box, I've put matching magnets in the corners. I've built them up with little shaved bits of sprue, mostly just to give more surface area for glue to adhere and make a stronger bond. I've done this for the the low-sided slat-back and the high-sided canvas back.

As if that weren't enough, I've also magnetized the passengers. You can see the magnet mounted underneath the seat on the far right end of the bench. This magnet again matches the ones in the box back.

So I can either have a canvas back:

...or an open back with passengers:

...or and open back without passsengers:

This will make it easy for me to denote when the vehicle does or does not have a squad embarked, as well as to use the vehicle for other uses (as a Jump-Off Point, as an objective for a convoy raid, or as a scenery element). But mostly, it's because I can't loving help myself when I see a kit with multiple configurations. :smithicide:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's a really good looking truck!

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 17, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ilor posted:

God dammit, is there no end to my compulsion to magnetize?

So here you can see on the flat-bed, just behind the cab, I have set two 1/8" magnets flush with the deck.

And on the box, I've put matching magnets in the corners. I've built them up with little shaved bits of sprue, mostly just to give more surface area for glue to adhere and make a stronger bond. I've done this for the the low-sided slat-back and the high-sided canvas back.

As if that weren't enough, I've also magnetized the passengers. You can see the magnet mounted underneath the seat on the far right end of the bench. This magnet again matches the ones in the box back.

So I can either have a canvas back:

...or an open back with passengers:

...or and open back without passsengers:

This will make it easy for me to denote when the vehicle does or does not have a squad embarked, as well as to use the vehicle for other uses (as a Jump-Off Point, as an objective for a convoy raid, or as a scenery element). But mostly, it's because I can't loving help myself when I see a kit with multiple configurations. :smithicide:

I use to magnetize all my models but I was having too much fun building it and totally spaced on it with this truck.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cessna posted:

That's a really good looking truck!
Thanks! I think I mentioned it earlier, but I am really impressed with this kit. It went together like a dream, has a ton of options, and was very reasonably priced. It even includes acetate for the windows (so I don't have to butcher a blister pack like usual). Assembling the passengers (especially attaching the hands & weapons) was a little fiddly, but once complete they look great. I can't wait to paint it (but I will, because I have some other stuff in my queue first).

Also, I failed another Willpower test: it only took me playing a single game of Dux Britanniarum, and next thing I knew I had bought Victrix' new plastic Vikings box. :cripes: Expect a review when they arrive.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 17, 2019

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

Thanks! I think I mentioned it earlier, but I am really impressed with this kit. It went together like a dream, has a ton of options, and was very reasonably priced. It even includes acetate for the windows (so I don't have to butcher a blister pack like usual). Assembling the passengers (especially attaching the hands & weapons) was a little fiddly, but once complete they look great. I can't wait to paint it (but I will, because I have some other stuff in my queue first).

Also, I failed another Willpower test: it only took me playing a single game of Dux Britanniarum, and next thing I knew I had bought Victrix' new plastic Vikings box. :cripes: Expect a review when they arrive.

Looking forward to a Victrix Review, thinking of getting one to top of my Viking warband into something playable with Saga.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Is the new edition of Saga good? I've read and heard mixed reactions.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Ahhh gently caress I'm destroying my eyes looking at the Peter Pig website because I think I want Hammerin' Iron

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Ahhh gently caress I'm destroying my eyes looking at the Peter Pig website because I think I want Hammerin' Iron

Lol poor muggins didn't take his "oldschool web design" pills before venturing forth into the land of historicals.

RIP

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

Lol poor muggins didn't take his "oldschool web design" pills before venturing forth into the land of historicals.

RIP

Lol, I did it at 1 am too. Ordered a sweet ACW mountain howitzer and bushwhackers from North Star and some sailors from Redoubt.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Some ACW dudes I've finished - the 10pdr Parrott is from History Works, prepainted. Just have to base them. The 13" siege mortar is from TA Miniatures by way of North Star

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Why is the mortar so thicc? Is the powder load that powerful?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I’m planning making 15mm terrain for Chain Of Command. Going to order some Peter Pig dead cows. Despite my best attempts my Google fu is failing me on the size of 81mm / 3 inch shell hole craters and how to make them.

Any advice?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

JcDent posted:

Why is the mortar so thicc? Is the powder load that powerful?

online posted:

The Dictator used gunpowder charges of 14 to 20 pounds to fire a 200 pound shell. The range of the mortar was 4235 yards when fired at a 45 degree angle of elevation, although one round is reported to have gone over 4750 yards. The flatcar recoiled 10 to 12 feet when the mortar was fired.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

General China posted:

I’m planning making 15mm terrain for Chain Of Command. Going to order some Peter Pig dead cows. Despite my best attempts my Google fu is failing me on the size of 81mm / 3 inch shell hole craters and how to make them.

Any advice?

Here’s a handy russian chart:

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/how-big-is-the-crater-of-a-155-mm-heavy-artillery-shell-on-a-ground-made-of-concrete.641866/

If it’s accurate, ”about big enough för a man to take cover in it”. To make it, try to make raise the entire area arounf the crater a bit, and then make a small hole. I guess green stuff or spackle should work fine.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I’m probably over thinking it and will probably just use UK 2p coins and a bit modelling clay.

Might mix in some other coins for a bit of variation.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I have a question about basing that I suspect might best be answered here. I have 10 mm pewter dudes I'm basing on 40mm x 20mm bases. Rather than gluing everything down and make each unit permanent though, I'd like it if the figures could be removed for easier rebasing and use in other game systems.

Now I realize I could just base everything on squares and toss them onto a base just slightly larger than 40x20 and that would be fine, but that gives me perfect rows of 4 dudes by 2 dudes and I don't want that look.

Ideally I want each figure on an irregular individual base and the ability to stick them to a fairly plain 40mm x 20mm base however I'd like at the time. They're heavy enough that just having a tacky surface under each miniature might work, but I suspect I might get a longer lasting effect with magnets. I'm envisioning drilling a small magnet into the base of each miniature and having either a magnetic or steel base with some light flocking on top of it.

Is there a good way to do this? If magnets are the answer, I'm assuming a rare earth magnet for the mini because I know that's what the GW guys use for swapping out weapons, but I'm not sure where to start for the magnetized bases. I've never worked with magnets on miniatures before so I don't even know if they'd be strong enough to adhere through some textured paint and flocking. I figure I can't be the first person to try to figure this out.

EDIT: Finally found the magic google terms to get some results on this. Turns out the answer seems to be double sided carpet tape or scattering magnets throughout the base in an irregular pattern and just putting magnetized dudes on whichever magnets make things look cool and leaving the others empty. If anyone has other experiences though, I'd love to hear it.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A thin steel plate for the base allows you to just plonk down dudes wherever, as does magnetic tape.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

As someone who's done something similar though, you might regret doing so when your models keep falling off their bases, and the dozens of hours you spent installing magnets get minimal use as you stick with the same game system. Just a cautionary anecdote.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
How about round bases and sabots? Like from Supreme Littleness? In sure you can get them cut in custom sizes. Or go the 10×10mm route and try to place them in different spots?

Also I've read this tutorial before which claims to be easily rebasable

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I am buying Ironclads for ACW from Thoroughbred Miniatures, just dang

Do people usually base their ships like this?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

muggins posted:

Yeah, people usually put them on rectangular water bases with wave effects

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

muggins posted:

Thoroughbred Ironclads are just beautiful.

I wish people around here were interested in anything involving them.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I'm gonna try Hammerin' Iron and if its bad, a few other rulesets. They're amazing minis.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ever play Yaquinto's Ironclads?

It's an old-school game, but I had fun with it. The original game and the expansion are still published by Excalibur, and Shot and Shell comes up regularly on eBay.

It's meant to be hex based, but it is easily adapted to minis.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Cessna posted:

Ever play Yaquinto's Ironclads?

It's an old-school game, but I had fun with it. The original game and the expansion are still published by Excalibur, and Shot and Shell comes up regularly on eBay.

It's meant to be hex based, but it is easily adapted to minis.

I think you had recommended it here - I can't find a decent copy for a good price, but it's definitely on my list.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

muggins posted:

I think you had recommended it here - I can't find a decent copy for a good price, but it's definitely on my list.

Check it out.

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I have a question about basing that I suspect might best be answered here. I have 10 mm pewter dudes I'm basing on 40mm x 20mm bases. Rather than gluing everything down and make each unit permanent though, I'd like it if the figures could be removed for easier rebasing and use in other game systems.

Now I realize I could just base everything on squares and toss them onto a base just slightly larger than 40x20 and that would be fine, but that gives me perfect rows of 4 dudes by 2 dudes and I don't want that look.

Ideally I want each figure on an irregular individual base and the ability to stick them to a fairly plain 40mm x 20mm base however I'd like at the time. They're heavy enough that just having a tacky surface under each miniature might work, but I suspect I might get a longer lasting effect with magnets. I'm envisioning drilling a small magnet into the base of each miniature and having either a magnetic or steel base with some light flocking on top of it.

I’m actually in the process of doing something similar myself. What I ended up using was steel washers with small rare earth magnets in the middle, super glued to the model. I wanted to be able to do 15mm FoW and CoC, so having the minis swappable between sabots and individual basing was important. No drilling required, just super glue and a little extra time.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Private_Snafu posted:

I’m actually in the process of doing something similar myself. What I ended up using was steel washers with small rare earth magnets in the middle, super glued to the model. I wanted to be able to do 15mm FoW and CoC, so having the minis swappable between sabots and individual basing was important. No drilling required, just super glue and a little extra time.
I am doing a very similar thing right now with my 15mm ACW. I'll take some pictures and post them.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Private_Snafu posted:

I was going to try putting enough laquer on a base to withstand artillery fire and give carpet tape a shot but this is a ridiculously easy and good idea.

What magnets are you using and are they a good strength?

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 21, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Anyone in Colorado interested in playing ACW stuff?

'Cause now I want to buy a bunch of those ironclads.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Cessna posted:

Anyone in Colorado interested in playing ACW stuff?

'Cause now I want to buy a bunch of those ironclads.

My boats should be here this week, let's share ironclad painting tips

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What scale are those ironclads?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

What scale are those ironclads?

1/600

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Those are some sweet looking ironclads

E:
Trying to finish off some units so that I can clear up my painting desk. These lancers are pretty much done now, but I'm not super happy with the bases. Might try painting the sides of the bases in a darker brown.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 23, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

VERY nice!

Speaking of tiny boats, has anyone tried Cruel Seas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Warlord sprues for my thirty years war have come in. I've already glued some cavalry together, gonna go with the Swedes for one side. Upside to TYW: most of the troops wore civilian clothing, so I can get away with nice colourful units.

The quality of the sprues is good, nice detail and the commander sprue has some nice bits for customisation. There's enough stuff on the generic infantry sprue to go ECW or general TYW. I'll probably pick up some cuirassiers when the next con comes along.

Cessna, I haven't tried (or am interested in) Cruel Seas, but I've got a boatload of sprues for ships if you're willing to dive in and are in the UK or EU (I don't know how much shipping is to the states but it probably won't be cheap).