Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

cerebral posted:

I kind of tune out any argument about video games and realism because I fail to see how anyone can make a good faith argument that realism is something possible or even desirable in a video game.

They can't which is what makes the 'no darkies, no women' argument so egregious and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can understand wanting to nitpick about realism if that's something the developers of any given game are actually going for, like the more sperg-ey car or airplane simulators, but mordhau is not and never was intended to have a completely realistic setting so yeah it's best to tune that out. Like the time period is clearly "1500s.... give or take" which is a really good place to settle. Lots of very cool technology development in the armor and weaponry in the hundred years on either side.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I mean realism could be a decent argument against adding totally out-of-theme stuff like dual wielding flippy ninja loadouts or goofy double-ended darth maul swords.

But that's very different from using it to say "no blacks".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motherfucker posted:

They can't which is what makes the 'no darkies, no women' argument so egregious and lovely.

Yup.

I stabbed a dude in the head with a zweihander but he survived because he had a robin hood hat on. Realism isn't exactly something that you want to insist upon 100%, and to try to use realism as an excuse to exclude minorities and women is even dumber.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I mean realism could be a decent argument against adding totally out-of-theme stuff like dual wielding flippy ninja loadouts or goofy double-ended darth maul swords.

ok... counterpoint both of those things would be rad.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I feel like that only becomes a good excuse until you really start pushing the boundaries with goofy stuff you add just for fun. Just setting yourself up to get hounded by weenies with an explanation like that if you ever decide to break the mold because you have a fun idea.

Just be like "we didn't add that to the game because we didn't want to". Make ya own drat game nerds lol unreal engine 4 is free right now go get that poo poo

speaking of, drat I can't wait for those mod tools. I got so many assets ready to go!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motherfucker posted:

ok... counterpoint both of those things would be rad.

Dualwielding would be funny/fun if they removed the ability to parry with them so you either needed to chamber or just get your head chopped off. My current berserker is just a shirtless dude with a war axe but I'm roughly as defensive as other classes since I can just parry everything as is.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make it so you can equip the knife in the offhand like a buckler. You think rapier users were annoying before?

I wanna add guns. Napoleonic Wars this bitch

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

'realism' isn't the real problem even when you start pushing boundaries of goofy poo poo though. Its just a convenient shorthand that tries to invoke 'reality' to make a subjective opinion sound more credible. A 'real' knight in full plate or even chainmail wouldn't even loving blink if you threw a throwing knife at him and its easy for me to say its 'unrealistic' but if I said 'it would improve gameplay' I'd have a lot to explain.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 21, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah, "realism" isn't a binary thing a game or piece of art either strives to achieve in totality or has none of, it's a matter of choosing what forms of realism matter to you and how much. It'd be weird to play a wargame that looks like a boring brown military shooter set in WW2, except fire heals you when you stand in it or get hit with a flamethrower, and instead of planes everybody rides enormous cartoon birds. It'd be weird for Mordhau to suddenly introduce magic as a loadout option or let you play as a Martian.

Using it to justify a hardline stance against including brown people in medieval combat games is dumb on two fronts: racism can have more meaningful consequences than including or not including ninja flips in your loving game, and it isn't even unrealistic to begin with. It's pretty obvious that anyone making that argument is looking to play a game set in a historical fantasy world that caters to and reinforces their prejudices, not "reality".

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Yeah, "realism" isn't a binary thing a game or piece of art either strives to achieve in totality or has none of, it's a matter of choosing what forms of realism matter to you and how much. It'd be weird to play a wargame that looks like a boring brown military shooter set in WW2, except fire heals you when you stand in it or get hit with a flamethrower, and instead of planes everybody rides enormous cartoon birds. It'd be weird for Mordhau to suddenly introduce magic as a loadout option or let you play as a Martian.

EVEN in this case the criticism isn't that its 'unrealistic', its that fire healing you is unintuitive and that the planes all being giant birds doesn't strike the right mood. The 'appeal to the real' is just a cover for these two (valid, but subjective) sentiments.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that was my point, saying realism is your excuse for why you didn't add X or Y to the game but you are adding Z is just inviting more people down the line to try and nitpick you to death when you could just want you added something to the game because it's loving dope and makes the game more fun. Just lead with "because we want to", save everyone some (not all, obviously lol) headache down the line

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know where the merit of dodge is. It's useful against thrusts and overhead chops I guess?

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I hate you all right now for having this discussion.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only foot I have in this conversation is the semantics of how they explain themselves, specifically that they don't really need to and it would be best to tell people to gently caress off if they don't like hearing "we added this thing to the game because it's cool" lol

jokes posted:

I don't know where the merit of dodge is. It's useful against thrusts and overhead chops I guess?

Those are like the two most powerful kinds of attacks in the game (stabbing is the fastest, overheads hit the head easiest) so yeah helping you avoid those has some appeal for people. It's honestly not that useful, and there's a ton of poo poo I would spend four points on before dodge (that's an entire mace!) but it opens up a slightly different kind of playstyle for some people and hey if it helps more people have fun, I'm down

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 21, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

jokes posted:

on frontline the chaos makes it seem a little less useful but well used dodge is more valuable than 9 points of heavy armor as a defensive tool. A good combo is a long weapon like a halberd or spear and dodge because being able to create distance goes real well with the ability to stab OVER distance. Once you're gittin' good with your footwork and drags sideways dodging away from an attack than back in before popping an accelerated sweep and killing a dude while looking 90 degrees to his left is a cruel and hilarious dueling trick.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 21, 2019

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Saw my first guy obviously cheating today, it was just as bad as you guys said it would be. Guy with a spear just twirling around stabbing a and blocking everything, even when I was right behind him trying to stab the back of his head.

He ended up going 85-15-25 and I just immediately quit the game after the match even though we won. I just don't get how that's even fun to play, like just walking around and watching the aimbot get you kills while your numbers go up? To each their own I guess.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

how you gonna cheat and still die 15 times

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zotix posted:

right, but i watched it land in between us both and we were maybe 5-7 feet apart. 2h swing range.

Its because you are bad at the game and the other guy isnt bad at it, he is good at it.

Thats why it knocked you over as punishment for being bad at mordhau

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

fire bombs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

as someone who dies a lot to the randomly fired AI trebs that don't actually help your team at all on Camp, agree it's because we're bad

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Babe Magnet posted:

Projectiles. I've seen two cheaters with rapiers and the pavise running around naked and they died from axes or bolts to the head.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

can't block ballistas or firebombs. Also fun to wall them in as an engie so your firebombs land.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

The realism argument in online games is always about this. Always.

And I'm very happy to find out the devs don't buy it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not always, just really in historical games. I used to play a lot of airplane sims and still place car sims from time to time, people get real serious about accuracy in those games.

also get better cheats!!!

also take fireproof. it's totally worth the one point, it feels great sprinting into firefields to finish off enemies dumb enough to stand in them without fireproof.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

My teammates seemed to really hate the whirling hedgehog of death and he was usually fighting 4 or 5 people at one time and winning but some lucky shots got through

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

jokes posted:

If you parry a hit and then swing back, the guy has already recovered from his own swing and is ready to parry yours.
If you dodge an attack and then swing back, the guy is still in the middle of whiffing his attack and you get to hit him for free.

It's best used with longish weapons so you can dodge backwards to avoid horizontal swings and still hit your followup attack. Billhook and estoc are pretty fun pokey weapons with a good mix of damage and range to use for this, while still being cheap enough to let you afford armor.

e: or shortspear and shield

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

realtalk the victory royale against bottin' shitheads is going 'playerlist' in the console (accessed with ~) getting their number and 'votekick 11' or whatever.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't take dodge unless you're prepared to put it on all of your builds though. Like some goons mentioned earlier, you get into some real bad habits.

I haven't used dodge on any of my builds since week one and I still do jumps from time to time trying to slip around a stab and getting hit in my tier 1 armored balls lol

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

don't take dodge unless you're prepared to put it on all of your builds though. Like some goons mentioned earlier, you get into some real bad habits.

I haven't used dodge on any of my builds since week one and I still do jumps from time to time trying to slip around a stab and getting hit in my tier 1 armored balls lol

This is exactly why I haven't touched it. I know that if I get used to it, I'll never be able to play without it. That said, when I see someone I'm fighting against dodge, my immediate reaction is, "oh gently caress", and then I end up eating a head shot and, hopefully, running the gently caress away, but most likely just getting completely chumped. It's a great perk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Recurve bow isn't good at killing but it's real good at kill-stealing and assists. I got 39 assists in a game I joined late in by just pinking into dudes shins or whatever near my teammates, ready to arming sword some zweihander moron that gets close. Getting good with the arming sword opens up a lot of good games for you since it becomes a really really good backup weapon. Most of my builds amount to simply pissing off the other team but whatever I appear to be helping!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're going recurve bow you don't even need a backup! Most people seem to get lazy when approaching a bow person and don't strafe or otherwise cover their heads making it super simple to drill them right in the skull. Dodging backwards out of their slashes also helps if you need to repeatedly stick arrows in their fleshy faces and seems to upset them enough that they don't reliably try and counter it and instead keep running towards you.

And if they do the slow approach with shields raised you can just stick arrows in their ankles where most people don't bother putting heavy armours.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.twitch.tv/unsubredun/clip/ClumsyBrightMangoCharlieBitMe?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

that poo poo ain't gonna work on me though

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

'you play like a real puss...'

-an archer

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the chat owns sometimes. Even in that tutorial video I recently added to the OP, I think they're on a random duel server because there are some mad motherfuckers in the chatbox while dude is explaining advanced chamber mechanics lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zotix posted:

right, but i watched it land in between us both and we were maybe 5-7 feet apart. 2h swing range.
The knockdown radius is pretty small so if it was closer to you it could've hit in such a way that he was barely out of the knockdown radius.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of:
https://i.imgur.com/Kcat2ak.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 21, 2019

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

When god gets tired of foreplay.

Watched ahead a bit hoping you'd show the scoreboard, the guy calling his team useless fuckers wasn't even visible on the list.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 21, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The other day playing camp blue team managed to steal the catapult and shortly after I had the rare pleasure of seeing the guy manning it take a trebuchet shot right to the face. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

If you press H while manning the catapult you can kinda get a sense where you won't loving murder your team, Also P lets you see a much less poo poo camera angle for shooting.