Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Gripweed posted:

Why is every loving building and cave in this game some kind of maze or puzzle bullshit

Gym Leader is just a tax dodge and an excuse to build incredibly gaudy mansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Why is every loving building and cave in this game some kind of maze or puzzle bullshit

its a video game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Super No Vacancy posted:

its a video game

Alpha Sapphire had like one place where the gimmick was a teleport panel maze. X has had three so far.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

YaketySass posted:

Gym Leader is just a tax dodge and an excuse to build incredibly gaudy mansions.

I like the gym leader in Sunyshore City who's renovating his gym (with taxpayer money no doubt :bahgawd:) because he's "bored"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gripweed posted:

Alpha Sapphire had like one place where the gimmick was a teleport panel maze. X has had three so far.

Given how Gen V and VI showed that it’s fine to make a gimmick has practically nothing to do with your type, I assume that teleporter mazes are the result of a spectacularly uncreative gym leader.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Let's Go also does the pokemon quiz way better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The quiz Trick Houses are dumb. They ask stuff like “In this gym are there more men or women?” and “How many signs are in Lilycove City?”. Who would get these without guessing?!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dias posted:

Zubat has a better final evolution than a lot of starters, I'll have you know.

going thru Gen 4 for the first time I was shocked to see the first cave is still
all
loving
zubats

they are the cliff racers of the Pokémon world

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
You know what's way better than having a couple memorable bad guy lieutenant characters to fight? Fifty identical goons armed with one Pokemon each that you fight one at a time.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Farecoal posted:

Idea for a Pokemon game: You start out as a member of an evil Team, your starter Pokemon is one out of the three (?) options of Pokes commonly used by the Team. Eventually you realize what you're doing is evil, you become good, etc.

This was my Ultra Moon run. My character had washed out of Team Skull and only used Pokemon used by Team Skull. At every opportunity, buy the clothes that best matched the Grunt uniforms.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zubat is v cute

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gripweed posted:

You know what's way better than having a couple memorable bad guy lieutenant characters to fight? Fifty identical goons armed with one Pokemon each that you fight one at a time.

Also they have like 5 different Pokémon total. Episode:RR has a really cool premise and good bosses but that loving mansion is such a slog.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
this pacing is so hosed up. I saved the world, destroyed a genocidal secret organization, defeated, freed, and captured a god, met a 3,000 year old king who told me his sad life story. But I still have to slog through a new route, go to a new town for the sole purpose of having a conversation, and then slog through another route to get to the final gym. Just let me go directly to the final gym and prove that I'm the best there ever was, I don't want to be doing this petty poo poo after while I literally have a god in my purse.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gay Horney posted:

going thru Gen 4 for the first time I was shocked to see the first cave is still
all
loving
zubats

they are the cliff racers of the Pokémon world

You could make a Romhack of any given game that did nothing but remove all Zubats and Tentacools and it would be a noticeably better game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

this pacing is so hosed up. I saved the world, destroyed a genocidal secret organization, defeated, freed, and captured a god, met a 3,000 year old king who told me his sad life story. But I still have to slog through a new route, go to a new town for the sole purpose of having a conversation, and then slog through another route to get to the final gym. Just let me go directly to the final gym and prove that I'm the best there ever was, I don't want to be doing this petty poo poo after while I literally have a god in my purse.

dont do it! you now have the power to ascend into a higher reality by turning off the gam

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

galagazombie posted:

You could make a Romhack of any given game that did nothing but remove all Zubats and Tentacools and it would be a noticeably better game.

Idk, zubat is annoying just because of quantity, so adding other mons into the catch pool is good enough usually. Tentacool is just a garbage Pokemon so I'll agree there.

Actually, what's everyone's opinion on who the weakest Pokemon are(aside from unevolved Pokemon)?
Been thinking of doing a run of one of the GBA games using the worst Pokemon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nasgate posted:

Idk, zubat is annoying just because of quantity, so adding other mons into the catch pool is good enough usually. Tentacool is just a garbage Pokemon so I'll agree there.

Actually, what's everyone's opinion on who the weakest Pokemon are(aside from unevolved Pokemon)?

Luvdisc, Unown, Delibird, Ledian, Macargo and Dustox maybe?

Please don't actually do it though. That would be painful.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zore posted:

Luvdisc, Unown, Delibird, Ledian, Macargo and Dustox maybe?

Please don't actually do it though. That would be painful.

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/adv_rse_ingametiers#bottom

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nasgate posted:

Do a Sunkern run. You'll want to kill yourself by the end of the first gym.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been dragging these Pokemon around from the days of Sapphire. I've got everything from X/Y on down but I haven't played Sun/Moon. I see that the Ultra games added new Pokemon in the middle of this generation, and so did the Let's Go games?

If I get Ultra Sun, will those two (Meltan?) from Let's Go be the only ones not available eventually, including online trades?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been dragging these Pokemon around from the days of Sapphire. I've got everything from X/Y on down but I haven't played Sun/Moon. I see that the Ultra games added new Pokemon in the middle of this generation, and so did the Let's Go games?

If I get Ultra Sun, will those two (Meltan?) from Let's Go be the only ones not available eventually, including online trades?

Yeah Meltan and Melmetal are the only Pokemon that are not in USUM.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is Burmy/Wormadam useful in game? It looks cute, but I've been burned by Liepard before...

Edit: I decided to restart XY to use some mons I've never used before.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wormadam is real bad. Mothim is okay though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 21, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

And currently there’s no way to trade Let’s Go Pokémon to the other games.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Aerofallosov posted:

Is Burmy/Wormadam useful in game? It looks cute, but I've been burned by Liepard before...

Edit: I decided to restart XY to use some mons I've never used before.

It's got decent stats and Quiver Dance, but that's about it.

Mothim outclasses it in every way.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Aw, bummer. Wormadam is cute. I guess it shouldn't matter TOO much for being used on an in game team. Mothim's kinda cool, too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Use Wormadam, she’s the only fully evolved Ground/Bug-type

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The Burmy line may hold the record for sheer number of gimmicks in one family. Too bad they’re still pretty useless.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

YaketySass posted:

Doesn't Flying double as "the Bird type" though?

Most, but not all, birds are Flying. There's a notable few that aren't. The whole Torchic and Empoleon lines, Decidueye, Tapu Koko, and less obviously the Porygon, Magmar, and Spritzee lines. There's not a great deal of them but enough you could have a whole team of them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Most, but not all, birds are Flying. There's a notable few that aren't. The whole Torchic and Empoleon lines, Decidueye, Tapu Koko, and less obviously the Porygon, Magmar, and Spritzee lines. There's not a great deal of them but enough you could have a whole team of them.

Don't forget ya boys Psyduck/Golduck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

This was my Ultra Moon run. My character had washed out of Team Skull and only used Pokemon used by Team Skull. At every opportunity, buy the clothes that best matched the Grunt uniforms.

I did a run of Moon where I was a goth girl who really wanted to join Team Skull but got so pissed when they said no she decided to gently caress 'em up. I only used poison, dark, and ghost types, that seemed most thematic

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Nah they're based on Kappas which are based on Portuguese missionaries, not ducks

(Oops I forgot all about my best duck friends! :shobon:)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Lati@s could be birds too, but they are more planes and dragons (which to be fair are based on birds). They are notable in that they fly everywhere but aren't a Flying type. Meanwhile Luigi which is a giant Glaucus atlanticus who lives at the bottom of the sea is a Flying type????????

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess I did too many Roto Lottos because now my Rotom Dex won’t stop repeating the same few “tips” to me and I can barely ever see my map. Is there anything I can do about this?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RatHat posted:

I guess I did too many Roto Lottos because now my Rotom Dex won’t stop repeating the same few “tips” to me and I can barely ever see my map. Is there anything I can do about this?

Has nothing to do with how many Roto Lottos you did. That's just Rotom. Welcome to the downside of Gen 7.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zore posted:

Psyduck is a platypus :colbert:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Procrastine posted:

Psyduck is a platypus :colbert:

“Duck” is literally in the name

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I love Sunkern so loving much and it's such a bad battler. But it's gorgeous. One day Sunkern! One day I'll bring you along.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RatHat posted:

BlazetheInferno posted:

Has nothing to do with how many Roto Lottos you did. That's just Rotom. Welcome to the downside of Gen 7.

I noticed this happening to me too, where I reached a certain point in the Game and all of a sudden Rotom started pestering me at an exponentially higher rate. Is their some hidden checkpoint in the story that tells him to be even more annoying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

thetoughestbean posted:

“Duck” is literally in the name

Persian is not a Persian but a Siamese
Pidgeot is not a pigeon but an osprey
Beedrill is not a bee but a hornet
etc.

many gen I names are dumb