Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That episode was amazing and gruesome and now I'm depressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

In a word: horrifying.

In several words: JESUS CHRIST HIS SKIN IS THINNER THAN MUCOUS MEMBRANE!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I watched an episode from the new season of Nailed It! to decompress after this one... :ohdear:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
That couple at the hotel bar last episode were KGB officers. They're everywhere.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

clown shoes posted:

That couple at the hotel bar last episode were KGB officers. They're everywhere.

Good thing he lied to them... :commissar:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
That was a lot of dicks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

This poo poo just makes itself some times.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CainFortea posted:

Brilliant

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

CainFortea posted:

:cmon:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

CainFortea posted:

What am I missing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

clown shoes posted:

What am I missing?

Loss.jpg

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The KGB follows everyone. It is a circle of accountability.

Unless you're a Soviet coal miner. Those guys are loving hardcore.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CainFortea posted:

There's going to be a miscarriage.

Or worse...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Zoran posted:

There's going to be a miscarriage.

Or worse...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

coal man rules

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

CainFortea posted:

:kiss:

But man what a fuckin horror show

Also this, I didn't know they came that salty

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Acquilae posted:

Jeez that was gruesome, makeup artists better win an Emmy for this.

Here's a horrifying quote from the head makeup artist:

quote:

Parker said, adding that the emphasis was on the internal physical effects that were part of that pivotal photo. “I wanted to show what’s happening inside the body, the bruising and melting of the body and the fact that the skin is massive organ of the body is no longer attached.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Farrier Theaks posted:

Soviet Coal Miner is probably near the bottom of worst jobs to have in the world.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Vakal posted:

Soviet Coal Miner is probably near the bottom of worst jobs to have in the world.

yeah it really has to be

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Been watching and enjoying this miniseries a lot. It's neat to have all the horrific poo poo I've read about with the accident put on screen in an appropriately terrifying manner.

I almost said "great" instead of "neat," but that's definitely not the word, considering how the show makes me feel.

I'm guessing that, with all I've heard about the makeup and effects and stuff, the advanced radiation poisoning symptoms are being portrayed accurately, and, like... just, God drat. Vasily.

e: since we're talking Soviet miners, have some super relevant video:

https://youtu.be/dI9KBLb_8ro

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 21, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I watched an episode from the new season of Nailed It! to decompress after this one... :ohdear:

Watching Nailed It almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the scariest tv show I’ve ever watched. The people involved in the real event were among the bravest humans ever in my opinion. So many more people could died (50 million apparently). The people who worked and died to prevent those deaths, need to be remembered way more then they are. The world could be a far different place today if those other reactors were to meltdown and explode.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Terra-da-loo! posted:

e: since we're talking Soviet miners, have some super relevant video:

https://youtu.be/dI9KBLb_8ro

:stonklol:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
How the gently caress did both of the HBO shows this month generate loss edits. I’d say the radiation poisoning is easier to handle than that, but it’s not. I’m gonna have nightmares about that hospital scene tonight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Farrier Theaks posted:

They're all like that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, somehow they topped the scene from Fat Man and Little Boy where the character who was playing a mix of Louis Slotin and Harry Daghlian was in the end-stage period of massive acute radiation poisoning, and they wouldn't let him die because it was a great research opportunity.

Also, if you're interested in more Soviet anti-Soviet jokes, look up the documentary Hammer and Tickle. Here's a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbwEsu7z6Jw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKbEjoVe4o4

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 21, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pretty sick imagery this episode. I guess one guy didn't want to sit through make-up though? Seemed odd how Comrade NotAppearingInThisEpisode delivered all his lines just out of frame

That baby gonna be born with lots of extra digits or also maybe not at all

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pretty sick imagery this episode. I guess one guy didn't want to sit through make-up though? Seemed odd how Comrade NotAppearingInThisEpisode delivered all his lines just out of frame

That baby gonna be born with lots of extra digits or also maybe not at all

This show has a decent budget but the full body Spfx makeup has to be at the absolute minimum with a whole team working four hours on, two off; I’m chalking it up to scheduling

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

How the gently caress did both of the HBO shows this month generate loss edits. I’d say the radiation poisoning is easier to handle than that, but it’s not. I’m gonna have nightmares about that hospital scene tonight.

That's because loss is everywhere. This thread is loss.jpg.

RE: Guy without a face. I think it's more telling not showing. That guy had to have been the most horrific thing to see in that hospital by the physicist. By not showing it, our own imaginations fill the gaps.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, somehow they topped the scene from Fat Man and Little Boy where the character who was playing a mix of Louis Slotin and Harry Daghlian was in the end-stage period of massive acute radiation poisoning, and they wouldn't let him die because it was a great research opportunity.

In real life after the Tokaimura Nuclear accident in 1999, scientists kept one of the victims alive.

Hishashi Ouchi was closest to a tank they were pouring uranyl nitrate into when it went super-critical, and he took 17 sieverts of radiation (8 is fatal), and is considered to possibly be the most radiation a person has been exposed to.

After a week, Ouchi said 'I can't take it anymore, I'm not a guinea pig', but he was given blood transfusions, daily skin grafts, medicine not in public use, a cell transplant from his sister ... and then his heart stopped on day 59.

The doctors resuscitated him, and kept him alive for 24 more days.

:nms: warning: Either do not look up more about him, or be very, very careful. I've seen a picture of what he looked like towards the end, and it's horrifying.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You’re right, that’s a pretty big Ouchi

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CainFortea posted:

No one should ever bother making a loss edit again. This can not be topped.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i am definitely NOT going near any reactor cores from now on

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

wow they really went for authenticity on some of the mining stuff - good reference easily available I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRzeOzsZCX0

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

LadyPictureShow posted:

In real life after the Tokaimura Nuclear accident in 1999, scientists kept one of the victims alive.

Hishashi Ouchi was closest to a tank they were pouring uranyl nitrate into when it went super-critical, and he took 17 sieverts of radiation (8 is fatal), and is considered to possibly be the most radiation a person has been exposed to.

After a week, Ouchi said 'I can't take it anymore, I'm not a guinea pig', but he was given blood transfusions, daily skin grafts, medicine not in public use, a cell transplant from his sister ... and then his heart stopped on day 59.

The doctors resuscitated him, and kept him alive for 24 more days.

:nms: warning: Either do not look up more about him, or be very, very careful. I've seen a picture of what he looked like towards the end, and it's horrifying.

Legitimately horrifying pictures, wow. One of the final photos is basically a bright red skeleton with its 4 limbs suspended straight up in the air, but it's an alive dude

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This must be the first nuclear- related thread on the forums where we've gone a whole 20 pages before someone pointed out the absolute hilarity that some guy who died a slow painful death WAS LITERALLY CALLED OUCHIE YOU GUYS :downswords:

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Vakal posted:

Pretty sure its Chernobyl nuclear power plant worker

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
That coal mine chief was delightful to watch and hear.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The funeral of the firemen was way more of an ordeal then show, I guess they did not want to pile up even more misery on poor Lyudmila. The sight of the body being put into layers of protection and the quote about him belonging to the state would have been very powerful.

quote:

Right before my eyes — in his formal wear — they put him in that cellophane bag of theirs and tied it up. And then they put this bag in the wooden coffin. And they tied the coffin with another bag. The plastic is transparent, but thick, like a tablecloth. And then they put all that into a zinc coffin. They squeezed it in. Only the cap didn't fit.

Everyone came — his parents, my parents. They bought black handkerchiefs in Moscow. The Extraordinary Commission met with us. They told everyone the same thing: it's impossible for us to give you the bodies of your husbands, your sons, they are very radioactive and will be buried in a Moscow cemetery in a special way. In sealed zinc caskets, under cement tiles. And you need to sign this document here.

If anyone got indignant and wanted to take the coffin back home, they were told that the dead were now heroes, you see, and that they no longer belonged to their families. They were heroes of the State. They belonged to the State.

We sat in the hearse. The relatives and some military people. A colonel and his regiment. They tell the regiment: "Await your orders!" We drive around Moscow for two or three hours, around the beltway. We're going back to Moscow again. They tell the regiment: "We're not allowing anyone into the cemetery. The cemetery's being attacked by foreign correspondents. Wait some more." The parents don't say anything. Mom has a black handkerchief. I sense I'm about to black out. "Why are they hiding my husband? He's — what? A murderer? A criminal? Who are we burying?" My mom: "Quiet. Quiet, daughter." She's petting me on the head. The colonel calls in: "Let's enter the cemetery. The wife is getting hysterical." At the cemetery we were surrounded by soldiers. We had a convoy. And they were carrying the coffin. No one was allowed in. It was just us. They covered him with earth in a minute. "Faster! Faster!" the officer was yelling. They didn't even let me hug the coffin. And — onto the bus. Everything on the sly.
https://www.npr.org/books/titles/138350923/voices-from-chernobyl-the-oral-history-of-a-nuclear-disaster#excerpt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CeeJee posted:

The funeral of the firemen was way more of an ordeal then show, I guess they did not want to pile up even more misery on poor Lyudmila. The sight of the body being put into layers of protection and the quote about him belonging to the state would have been very powerful.

https://www.npr.org/books/titles/138350923/voices-from-chernobyl-the-oral-history-of-a-nuclear-disaster#excerpt

loving hell:

quote:

They couldn't get shoes on him because his feet had swelled up. They had to cut up the formal wear, too, because they couldn't get it on him, there wasn't a whole body to put it on. It was all — wounds. The last two days in the hospital — I'd lift his arm, and meanwhile the bone is shaking, just sort of dangling, the body has gone away from it. Pieces of his lungs, of his liver, were coming out of his mouth. He was choking on his internal organs. I'd wrap my hand in a bandage and put it in his mouth, take out all that stuff. It's impossible to talk about. It's impossible to write about. And even to live through. It was all mine.

My love. They couldn't get a single pair of shoes to fit him. They buried him barefoot.