Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Lt. Lizard posted:

The thing I am interested in is: we know Muzan can "create" demons and if I understood it correctly, every demon he "creates" can create other demons as well. And we just saw that the transformation from human to demon is almost instantaneous. Will we get the recreation of various "one infected in panicked crowd of soon to be zombies/demons" scenes from zombie movies in the next episode?

Urokodaki says right after the break in Ep6 that "The type of demon with the blood that can turn humans into demons... there's only one in this world." Every demon he creates cannot create other demons, so you don't have to worry about it turning into a zombie outbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So that means Muzan is def the one who killed Tanjirous family, meaning that someone there injured Muzan enough for his blood to be drawn to get into Nezukos wounds?

Or am i not supposed to think this hard?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

So that means Muzan is def the one who killed Tanjirous family, meaning that someone there injured Muzan enough for his blood to be drawn to get into Nezukos wounds?

Or am i not supposed to think this hard?

He just made a demon at the end of the latest episode without anyone injuring him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That demonization was instant, while Nezuko was found lying on the ground, her final act being protecting her younger sibling.

Like he's literally an evil demon lord so maybe trying to puzzle out his rationale for demonizing people is dumb but the situp still isnt quuuuuite clicking for me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 21, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm hoping it turns out he had a good reason for lurking around in the forest and murdering Tanjirou's family. I get the feeling he does, he doesn't seem to be the sort to just randomly murder everyone because whatever.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You know what else was weird was that while there was a ton of blood, nobody in Tanjiros family appeared to have been eaten if I recall correctly?

At the time I assumed they were just avoiding going overboard with gore but now I wonder if it was intentional.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Expect My Mom posted:

Like he's literally an evil demon lord so maybe trying to puzzle out his rationale for demonizing people is dumb...

I don't believe this for a second. Even the most warped and inhuman demons we've met so far still have vestiges of humanity and human motivations, it's just buried under their hunger for human flesh and the lengths they'll go to rationalize that hunger to themselves. I am absolutely certain there's more to Muzan than just arbitrary evil.

My current best guess is that he's envious of humanity, just based on who his victims and creations have been (I'm including Tanjiro's family in this, because that's the simplest reading of what the show has presented) but I'm sure it'll be easier to get a sense of it once he gets a bit more screen time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The last demon we saw said that he ate young girls because if they got older, they smelled bad.

Just ... FYI.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's certainly a very human motivation

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Turning someone trying to protect her family into a cannibal suggests a very specific and very vicious kind of sadism.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The last demon we saw said that he ate young girls because if they got older, they smelled bad.

Just ... FYI.

He also said that he should be thanked for eating them before they got uglier.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Again, pretty human if you ask me

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Darth Walrus posted:

Turning someone trying to protect her family into a cannibal suggests a very specific and very vicious kind of sadism.

And leave her there, so she will attack the first people who come by to rescue/investigate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Just ... FYI.

Exactly what he said his reasons were is less the point than how desperately defensive he got about it to someone he was planning to kill anyways. It's an excuse for eating them; why would a demon think it needs to be excused?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 22, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Exactly what he said his reasons were is less the point than how desperately defensive he got about it to someone he was planning to kill anyways. It's an excuse for eating them; why would a demon think it needs to be excused?

Probably because they still have some tiny remnants of their humanity in there somewhere.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Many of the stronger demons are as mentioned, brutal caricatures of the people they used to be. Basically whatever drove them in life gets twisted into what drives them as demons- for good or ill as it was.

Some were monsters before they became demons, some are horrific, tragic victims of circumstance. Their forms and powers tend to reflect their personalities.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1131134375725273088

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Muzan is a really good villain. Also we're finally starting to break into proper demon mooks instead of the wimpier feral demons.

The production continues to be fantastic. Godwilling it lasts while Ufotable is uh, being investigated for tax evasion

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All the anime greats get investigated for tax evasion. It's tradition! :v:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Well, thanks to this episode making such a big note of them I finally noticed what I assume is the kids dad wearing Tanjiro's earrings in the ED, so that sure dropped a whole mess of puzzle pieces regarding the reason for things in my lap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You guys should have a better grasp of what Muzan is like now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's basically what I would expect from a character whose basic description is "Immensely Powerful And Long Lived Demon Person Who Likes Fancy Outfits And Fedoras"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the man closest to perfection in this world

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dogsicle posted:

the man closest to perfection in this world

He says as he touches the brim of his fedora.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's a dick!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ah, so our otherwise pretty clever bad guy's main flaw is that he's a petty vengeful rear end in a top hat.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

This show rules

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm expecting the doctor and her assistant to die in the next episode. They were death flagging really hard by providing our protagonist with so much hope.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

There Bias Two posted:

I'm expecting the doctor and her assistant to die in the next episode. They were death flagging really hard by providing our protagonist with so much hope.

I think they'll survive, but the doctor will turn out to be evil. I'm not buying "she has an honest smell" when we've seen her create illusions and she can tinker with her body.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Without major spoilers, is there any significance to Tanjiro's big ol scar becoming more of a tattoo post-timeskip?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it does come up later but i don't think any of that will be in the anime material

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I assumed his forehead scar was just a burn from working with coal as kid. Like how his palms noticeably calloused.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

as dogsicle said, his scar is addressed at some point

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo that was some body horror this episode.
Not just what Muzan did to those mooks. But Tamayo's illusion magic as well. Just something about ripping the flesh of your arms with your fingers eeewww!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I assumed his forehead scar was just a burn from working with coal as kid. Like how his palms noticeably calloused.

His hands were very noticeably calloused from training with a sword.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

'To cure your sister you literally need to take down all or most of the main bad guy's top lieutenants' doesn't exactly sound like a short-term objective that's extraneous to the plot. I'd assume they're going to have to stay around given how long assembling the ingredients is going to take and how essential they are to it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Without major spoilers, is there any significance to Tanjiro's big ol scar becoming more of a tattoo post-timeskip?
He already had a scar from a burn/head injury as a kid, then he took another whack during the final selection process which made it into a bigger scar.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think they'll survive, but the doctor will turn out to be evil. I'm not buying "she has an honest smell" when we've seen her create illusions and she can tinker with her body.

Are you calling Tanjiro's nose a liar?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

this is the taste smell of a liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i was glad early on in the episode when tanjiro smelled an actual scent for once and not a metaphorical concept