Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm surprised Robo Recall isn't free since it came with the touch controllers.

Though via crossbuy I have 3 games ready to go (Robo Recall, Space Pirate, and I Expect You To Die) and Climb whenever it shows up. I'll probably pick up Apex as another crossbuy game. Oculus should've tossed some money towards the devs to make SuperHot and Beat Saber crossbuy. I appreciate that SuperHot was in particular a big effort, but I'm sure you'll hear a lot of complaints since they don't have anything new in the Quest versions.

FYI Apex is in Viveport subscription if you wanted to play it. They are giving away money/free trials for Rift users. Viveport is really decent now just a storefront that's not quite as good as either Steam or Oculus, and not the trash fire its reputation says from it's earliest days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I logged into the Oculus website and the store prices changed to reflect which ones are free:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/1888816384764129

quote:

Beat Saber - Demo
Space Pirate Trainer - Demo
Creed: Rise to Glory - Demo
Sports Scramble - Demo
Journey of the Gods - Demo

Facebook Watch
Oculus TV
Oculus Video
Oculus Gallery
YouTube VR
SKYBOX VR Video Player
Netflix
Red Bull TV
Neverthink
FOX NOW
ESPN
Sling TV
Pluto TV

VRChat
First Steps
Bogo
Robo Recall: Unplugged
I Expect You To Die
Bait!
Apex Construct
Rec Room
Oculus First Contact
Epic Roller Coasters
PokerStars VR
Bigscreen Beta

I don't know if Robo Recall: Unplugged, I Expect You To Die, and Apex Construct are free or just cross-buy. I own them all on the Rift and their store pages don't mention anything about cross-buy. Some store pages DO mention cross-buy which is why I'm confused. Maybe other people can check and compare what I see.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still not sure if I will be getting it right away because good god these stupid games are expensive, but I am looking at Blade and Sorcery and that looks badass too. Which should I get first: Gorn, or Blade and Sorcery?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nalin posted:

I don't know if Robo Recall: Unplugged, I Expect You To Die, and Apex Construct are free or just cross-buy. I own them all on the Rift and their store pages don't mention anything about cross-buy. Some store pages DO mention cross-buy which is why I'm confused. Maybe other people can check and compare what I see.

They're cross-buy, if you hadn't bought them on rift they are $20 each (+-$5 without looking them up now). The way they handle cross-buy is making them free for you, you have to "buy" them for free before they are in your library.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still not sure if I will be getting it right away because good god these stupid games are expensive, but I am looking at Blade and Sorcery and that looks badass too. Which should I get first: Gorn, or Blade and Sorcery?

Gorn.

Well, right now Gorn. Blade and Sorcery might be incredible in another year.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

The difference between Gorn and B&S is like, the difference between Mario Kart and iRacing. Gorn is extremely cartoony and arcadey and prioritizes responsive controls first and foremost, which means all the weapons are made out of rubber and stretch and bend themselves so that the weapons always stay in your hand. B&S tries to be a little more realistic about it, and represent weapons as tangible objects with weight, meaning you have to make a bit more of an effort to play along with its controls but also weapons can get caught and pulled out of your hands and swordfighting is a bit more interesting. Also graphically, Gorn just has a really fun cartoony look with big muscle babies that proc IK around and explode into blood and ridiculous gore that looks really good in VR, and B&S just looks like an ugly, drab, realistic Unity game, but also conversely picking a realistic person up by the neck and stabbing them in the side a bunch is way more intense when they look like human beings instead of cartoon characters.

I think they're both good for different reasons, but also, Gorn is just now coming out of early access while B&S is just now going into it so there's a big gap there too.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah it's surprising not even dead and buried 2 was free with it. I mean I think their demo pack is a really good sampling of a cross section of games, but you figure there would at least be one full one.

Bogo is a free Oculus made full experience. I'm generally not into the whole fake pet thing, but it seems like a great fit for VR.

https://youtu.be/coFlZN4ZitE

It's not really a traditional game, but Nintendogs sold 25 million copies, so it might be a pretty smart move.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I loved nintendogs, I played the poo poo out of nintendogs. I can remember sitting around with roomates in college in the living room just, all of us playing nintendogs on our DS'. Speaking of, an interesting game announced as coming soon to quest (and PC), called Racoon Lagoon, looks, sort of like a kind of animal crossing/stardew valley sort of thing? Exploring an island with fishing, farming, mining, cooking, decorating, and story quests, as well as multiplayer to visit other peoples islands and have them come to yours. Certainly looks pretty and interesting. Could fill a genre void in VR if its done well.

http://www.hiddenpath.com/game/raccoonlagoon/

The developers did Brass Tactics, Witchblood, and Defence Grid 2, so when they were listed as a developer for Quest way back when, I just assumed it would be a port of one of those. Glad to see its something new. Quest could use some non ports.

Also, I posted this already but... man in the full video its surreal watching someone play a whole game with no artificial locomotion. Like, it looks so incredibly slow when he's going down a hallway when you're used to seeing video of standard artificial locomotion. What I would have lied to see though was him walk back to the start of the level and see how far off it was in physical space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_xZYDAfjM

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
A first-person Stardew Valley sounds pretty awesome, and having it on the Quest sounds even more awesome.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

Dodging in Space Pirate Trainer feels so much better without a cable.

As someone who just put a TPCast on his Vive: Yes. Yes it does.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Robo Recall Unplugged is impressive. It's the same game, graphics take a huge hit but it runs well. The removal of most of the hit effects does make the shooting less satisfying though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nalin posted:

I logged into the Oculus website and the store prices changed to reflect which ones are free:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/1888816384764129

Can you or someone else check to see if you can be playing both Rift and Quest at same time on same account? Mine should be here by this evening but I'm an impatient bastard!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Can you or someone else check to see if you can be playing both Rift and Quest at same time on same account? Mine should be here by this evening but I'm an impatient bastard!

I need to know this too. Getting both s and quest. Quest for wife. S for me. And would like to just do one account, so I don't have to buy games 2 times

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would assume they are separate since they have separate stores.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got my quest. Excuse me while I go poop while in VR now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Kinda surprised all the Walmarts around here only got 2 units each of the 64 gigs/128 if brickseek is anything to go by.

Waiting on more reviews but might pick one up this weekend if they have stock.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Kilazar posted:

Got my quest. Excuse me while I go poop while in VR now.

Someone needs to go and lug a toilet to a bunch of exotic locations and record 3d 360 video. Sell it as bathroom enhancement app. I'm sure oculus would approve.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tried Beat Saver last night. Its pretty slick how it all works from inside the game.

The unfortunate part is that most of the songs are Expert or Expert+ only, which I am definitely not ready for as someone who has been playing Beat Saber for 2 whole days.

I did manage a B rank on Hard on Michael Jackson's "Beat It", only because I'm so familiar with the song, as is anyone who grew up in the 80's

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Any new Quest owners got some first impressions?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Has Oculus said anything about first-party or 'endorsed' third-party headphone options for the Quest? The built-in speakers are fine for casual use, but I'd like some headphones for more intense applications or for when leaking sound ain't okay (e.g. plane ride).

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The unfortunate part is that most of the songs are Expert or Expert+ only, which I am definitely not ready for as someone who has been playing Beat Saber for 2 whole days.
BennyDaBeast, in addition to being an excellent mapper in general, has a decent number of tracks with lower difficulty ratings.

edit: poo poo, apparently they already have quest earbuds for sale - https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/

Sucks that they're only listed and not available on Amazon, though

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 21, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cicero posted:

BennyDaBeast, in addition to being an excellent mapper in general, has a decent number of tracks with lower difficulty ratings.

I'll check him out, thanks!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

On one hand I want to take the Quest outside to a big space and move naturally.

On the other hand do I really want to be seen playing VR outside

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's the curse of all user-made rhythm game maps, unfortunately; almost no-one cares about making tracks below the highest difficulty level, and most of them vastly underestimate difficulty - if you do find allegedly "Hard" user-made maps they're very likely to be harder than the official "Expert" tracks. Osu and Stepmania's communities are even worse about this.

Turns out making good rhythm game maps is a skill and professionals are better at it than internet randos.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

NRVNQSR posted:

That's the curse of all user-made rhythm game maps, unfortunately; almost no-one cares about making tracks below the highest difficulty level, and most of them vastly underestimate difficulty - if you do find allegedly "Hard" user-made maps they're very likely to be harder than the official "Expert" tracks. Osu and Stepmania's communities are even worse about this.

Turns out making good rhythm game maps is a skill and professionals are better at it than internet randos.
I've avoided this trap by mostly focusing Benny's songs so far. They're better than the official tracks, and at least at Expert+ level substantially easier; I've beaten nearly all of of Benny's E+ maps, and hardly any of the official ones.

edit: Also I think there's good reasoning for why it's hard to find sub-expert songs in Beat Saber. A person with reasonably decent coordination will probably surpass hard-level songs in like 10-20 hours of playing (that's the bucket my wife falls into and how it's played out for her, for example, and she's not much of a gamer). If your coordination is good/you've had lots of rhythm game practice before, it may be more like 5 hours before you hit that point, or less. Basically the amount of time an enthusiastic person will spend at that level is very small, and there are still enough tracks between the community and official ones to suffice for how long you'll be there.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 21, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AndrewP posted:

On one hand I want to take the Quest outside to a big space and move naturally.

On the other hand do I really want to be seen playing VR outside

If you can't see them, they can't see you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
There are some good hard ones

Gangnam style
The prodigy - breath
Rammstein - du hast
I wanna be like you (from jungle book)

Those are a few off the top of my head.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VR’s insidious endgame reveals itself: getting people to go outside.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

If you can't see them, they can't see you.

Eagerly awaiting the first person to be run over while wandering around in VR.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I think the kind of person who is willing to invest the time in making maps for a rhythm game is also the type of person to play it a lot so they'll skew towards harder difficulties by default

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Just keep playing Beat Saber, you’ll surpass normal expert level sooner than you think and get bored of the maps you are currently complaining about rather quickly.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Gort posted:

Any new Quest owners got some first impressions?

Me,

But I am also new to VR. Vader Immortal is awesome.. If you don't get the head strap on tight, the back of your head will start to fee like the muscles are in tension. Took a bit to figure out the correct position for the back part of the strap. The headset is front heavy as hell to me. And I got tired of playing it after about an hour.

Overall I like it though.

I have 2 disappointments.

1. I expected at least dvd quality on the video apps. But they all seem to be SD quality. Is that just the hardware or is that common to watching movies in VR?

2. Can't cast beatsaber to the phone OR my chromecast. Beat Saber was going to hopefully be a portable party experience for my family. But it's not. Will have to rely on the S to do the heavy lifting. So hopefully my laptop is up to the task. It is a beast except it's got a 8 gig GTX980m...

Now I'm moving on to my S... And it looks like the oculus site is getting pounded, cause I can't get the app to download faster than 200k a sec.

***Edit
On the streaming front. I'm wondering if maybe I just need to buy a newer chromecast. I have the 2nd generation one. Can anyone confirm?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilazar posted:

1. I expected at least dvd quality on the video apps. But they all seem to be SD quality. Is that just the hardware or is that common to watching movies in VR?

If you mean like the free streamed video content apps, a lot of 3D video gear they use is either crap or incorrectly set up iirc.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kilazar posted:

Movies can be very high quality but it causes them to take up a ton of space, so most are very low bitrate. If you're watching in a "Theater" format where the video is on a screen in the center of your view, there's diminishing returns to how high you can pump up the resolution and bitrate. If it is a 360-degree video, you're stretching the whole thing across a giant canvas (most of which you can't see at once but still takes up data) so the higher res/bitrate the better.

Can anyone confirm if the Oculus Theater app will let you play HEVC codec? That would allow double the bitrate at the same file size, and that's the same CPU as my Pixel 2 so it should play fine. If no one can confirm I'll check it out when mine arrives tonight, slow-rear end Amazon...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Video apps as in Netflix VR?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, since I have way too much time on my hands, and there looks to be a lot of people in 2019 joining VR asking about games, I started putting together a spreadsheet.

I thought I would try to curate a bit, and listed mostly things I could remember that have some positive attention or notoriety. I also tried to place them in the broadest categories I could for VR, since some traditional things like "shooter", might not tell the full story where VR is right now, and what they're used to with flat screen gaming.

Sim, which are broadly games where you're sitting in place, more often than not, not even using motion controls
Arcade, games with a repeating gameplay loop, like arcade games of old
Story, games that have a progression, levels you advance through, or a story
Multiplayer, games that are, well, multiplayer, and don't really have any kind of single player component
Non Games, programs, films, things that aren't games

I also tried to list them by Free, and Paid, since people are always looking for free stuff, and by where they can be purchased. Obviously this list is far from comprehensive and I was going off mostly my memory, so I'd love any suggestions of what to add, or if theres a better way I should present the spreadsheet or something. Just thought We could use an updated list for quick reference, or for a new OP or something.

Oh and completely unrelated... if you asked me what game I least expected in VR, it might be "metal gear solid, but with kayak locomotion" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhQMz8qz0Y

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you mean like the free streamed video content apps, a lot of 3D video gear they use is either crap or incorrectly set up iirc.

I was using big screen, and netflix. Avengers looked like canned butt.

*edit again
I did get streaming Dance Central to work by connecting my phone to my chromecast, mirroring the screen, then casting to the oculus app. But there was no sound. :(

*edit again again
I might need to get a chromecrast ultra. My chromecast is not seen in the oculus app. That is probably why my workaround of double casting is not working.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 21, 2019

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Don't get my Rift S til Friday :negative:

Just FYI No Man's Sky is 60% off on green man gaming (you get a steam key) and a VR update is supposedly on the way soon if that interests anyone.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

punished milkman posted:

Just FYI No Man's Sky is 60% off on green man gaming (you get a steam key) and a VR update is supposedly on the way soon if that interests anyone.
It's also still 50% off at the humble store, which gets you a steam key.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As someone who had a Vive and a WMR headset, I want to get back into the VR swing of things. I sold off my Vive because there was nothing to play in the early days and my WMR just stopped working with my last laptop for some reason and according to the internet was a common problem with no solution. After having enjoyed the pleasures of inside-out tracking I don't want to go back to the god drat lighthouses and the $1K for the Index kit is bullshit anyway, what's the best option? Go for another WMR headset and hope it works just fine with my current laptop, or should I just get a Rift S?

If I got with the Rift S, do I have to do much fuckery to get it working with Steam and forgo whatever the Oculus walled garden is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ah good to know on the video bitrate info. Can someone school me on how to watch higher quality video's on the quest and S? I'd like to see at the very least dvd quality.

Would anyone be willing to provide a new to VR primer for us noobs?