Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1130413550957154304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

phasmid posted:

It was more "monarchy sucks, but it's all we've got".

This show is feudalist realism.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not even that; historically civil wars dont end this way; if everybody is too exhausted to fight new wars they set up independent kingdoms which then vie for control of each other in protracted, bloody, wars all while laying claim to the former whole they were part of or a central authority exerts power and rules it through force and typically by reforming social order for more centralization of power.

Like Im genuinely struggling to come up with a historical example like the show uses where this sort of "make a useless git king" wasnt the purposeful prelude to a civil war but the end.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i like how embarrassed everyone at the end is, yeah we came to save westeros with a dragon wielding psychopath sorry everyone no hates bran right?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Remember that small council scene where the characters who weren't walking memes at the time sat down strategically, with Cersei moving a chair to be next to Tywin, and Tyrion moving a chair to sit opposite him, and how you didn't need to have the symbolism of that smashed over your head like the Seinfeld coffee shop scene we got in the finale?

Also - why isn't Gendry the obvious choice to be king, being Robert Baratheon's last living heir? Seems to me that he'd make a better king than a guy who saw the future of a million innocent people being chargrilled and let it happen because it was his path to being king himself?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Presumably Bran has no motivations left that any normal human can understand. The councillors'll bring him moral conundrums and be like "sire, which course of action will help the realm?" and he'll say "ehhh pick whatever I don't care either way" and warg all day.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in the early seasons werent there people who doubted white walkers ever existed? what did they think that half-mile tall wall was built for?

Grevling posted:

Presumably Bran has no motivations left that any normal human can understand. The councillors'll bring him moral conundrums and be like "sire, which course of action will help the realm?" and he'll say "ehhh pick whatever I don't care either way" and warg all day.
"are you warging off in there?"
"no! go away!"

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The final episode should have finished after the cut to black after dany died

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIz6TA0WEBg

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpTZ-tC81yA

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Gotta say, I'm pretty happy for the Dothraki. I thought they were wiped out by the army of the dead, which since Dany killed all the other khals and united their entire culture would have sucked, but nope, they survived that, and got to pillage and slaughter. Would have been nice to see more feigned retreats and horse archery as befitting a made up culture based on the mongols, but at least they took all comers.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Grevling posted:

So the show ends like it started, with a king who doesn't give a poo poo. It's like pottery it rhymes.

At least Robert was doing cool stuff like drinking and loving instead of being a creepy voyeur.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Count me amongst the people who were shaking their head in befuddlement when Tyrion gave his "deep" speech. What the gently caress does any of that mean?

Another "deep" moment was the dragon melting the iron throne. Wow, what symbolism. How deep and... wait, why did the dragon do that? Why did this flying dog melt a chair? What?

And lol at Sansa pulling a Brexit and everyone else not immediately going, "What? We could do that?"

edit: And obviously everything needed more breathing room. I kept thinking of when Tyrion was due to be executed in season 4(?) when Obyrren fought the Mountain. Am I crazy or was he locked up for about 4 episodes as it all built up? I miss that. That sense of build up to a final confrontation. Y'know?

And sorry for getting the Wildling thing so, so wrong. It's been years since I last watched the earlier episodes I thought getting south of the wall was more than just zombies.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 21, 2019

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Why could Arya disguise as anyone? Where did that go?
Why did Cersei have prophesies of her death? What did that inform?
Why did Berric Dondarrion have a flaming sword, and why did he come back from the dead a bunch of times? (I guess the Lord of Light being real wasn't a big deal?)
What was Varys for?
Why was Jaime at the Long Night fight? (Bran said something important?)
What was the significance of the tree people creating the white walkers?
What was the significance of the white walkers at all really?

Edit: Yeah, the dragon melting the throne was sort of ... interesting? Breifly, because in the books it mentions that the only thing that could destroy / melt the iron throne is dragonfire (for some reason?) so it was like, 'oh poo poo, that one thing is happening!' And I briefly wondered what the implication was, "Maybe no more monarchy, that's kind of closure of sor" "BRAN IS KING NOW" oh ok.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 21, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
jeez dude have you ever watched the show while not vacuuming?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I love how much time the finale spent on wordlessly confirming that yup, getting a big old castle dropped on you kills you (even if it doesn't smush your face). Splendid work.

I mean, it's not like they had any stampeding, yelling, scythe-wielding loose ends they could have tied up instead.

Seriously what happened to the Dothraki?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im glad their swords were on fire for that 45 seconds and then they ...lived? it looked like what was being portrayed was that they all died but that... i mean

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the dothraki did a big trick. some guy whispered about how cool it would be with flaming swords around useless magic lady so she did that to seem cooler. when the dothraki charged against the zombie army they just put the swords in the snow and did a hard left to hide in the dark.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/rj3nsa5.jpg:nws: (may be nws due to noticeable bulge?)

The Dick that Was Promised

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the extra with extra

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
what happened to the other bloke arya was going to kill

illyn payne?

Did Arya get ANYONE on her list?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

what happened to the other bloke arya was going to kill

illyn payne?

Did Arya get ANYONE on her list?

She killed her character motivation

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://twitter.com/MatthewKass/status/1130296717457461255
lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Drunken Baker posted:

And lol at Sansa pulling a Brexit and everyone else not immediately going, "What? We could do that?"

Sexit :heysexy:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Quietly hilarious that the GoT YouTube haven’t uploaded their usual “behind the episode” clip for the finalé yet as they don’t want it downvoted into oblivion.

The numbers are telling, for episode 2 it’s like 44k / 1k positive to negative votes. But for episode 5 it’s something like a 44k / 89k ratio. That’s how quickly the normies turned on them.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
how long before the writers blame whoever declared that it was going to be an only 6 episode final season? that info was released around march 2017 which seems (and bare with me on this) a somewhat premature decision

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Quietly hilarious that the GoT YouTube haven’t uploaded their usual “behind the episode” clip for the finalé yet as they don’t want it downvoted into oblivion.

The numbers are telling, for episode 2 it’s like 44k / 1k positive to negative votes. But for episode 5 it’s something like a 44k / 89k ratio. That’s how quickly the normies turned on them.

There are no two men more acutely aware of and obsessed with the memes associated with their show and the internet fan reactions. It's how characters like Lady Mormont get to die shoving a knife into a giants eye after manning the loving gates, or a remorseless murderer like tormund becomes a hero and no one ever brings up how he slaughtered villagers originally. The internet just loved them SO MUCH that obviously we have to make them huge characters and everyone will love us.

It's how they cover up their inept writing and storytelling: with memes.

I can imagine them trying not to go to imgur and failing, then crying, then starting the whole cycle over again.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Parkingtigers posted:

Surely the people going out of their way to downvote YouTube videos are “normies” and not terminally online weirdos

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Surely the people going out of their way to downvote YouTube videos are “normies” and not terminally online weirdos

Normies are terminally online weirdos in 2019. It's not 1999 anymore grampa

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Durzel posted:

Also - why isn't Gendry the obvious choice to be king, being Robert Baratheon's last living heir? Seems to me that he'd make a better king than a guy who saw the future of a million innocent people being chargrilled and let it happen because it was his path to being king himself?

Gendry is an illiterate blacksmith apprentice.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1130477272689983488

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Normies are terminally online weirdos in 2019. It's not 1999 anymore grampa
this. people who have lived behind a computer since pre-9/11 genuinely conduct themselves better on the internet than ordinary people lol.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I don’t buy into Stannis being the best choice for king (but he’d not be the worst), but I’m still salty that they kept throwing Emmys and whatever at Dinklage and Emilia Clarke when Stephen Dillane acted the gently caress out of Stannis. The scenes where he burned Shireen, then later his realisation how hosed he is in the fight outside Winterfell, is the best acting performance in the entire show.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Pervasive cosmic dread is the standard mood in russia and always has been

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Saint Drogo posted:

this. people who have lived behind a computer since pre-9/11 genuinely conduct themselves better on the internet than ordinary people lol.

We got drip fed the internet so we slowly became immune to its stupid

the normies got way too much internet all at once and it broke them

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
i enjoyed the show but now my watch has ended

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Moola posted:

We got drip fed the internet so we slowly became immune to its stupid

the normies got way too much internet all at once and it broke them

I think as well, their INTRODUCTION was social media. Like, they were told day 1 page 1 that the internet IS real life.

Edit: apparently for a long time they had pencilled in "what are we going to watch now?" As the final line

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Pick posted:

HBO does not have literally 1 good show in its entire roster, ever. people just pretend because they like to nut.

Pick trollin’

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cleagane Bowl won't happen until next season and they will probably wind up killing each other. Possibly by Sandor being fatally stabbed and dragging both of them into a pool of dragon's flame or something else incredibly on the nose.

Posted 5/27/17 (page 6).
Goddamn.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Truth. And I maintain that somehow, the show that turned into... [gestures vaguely]... this, was legit better than the book back then. Between seasons 3 and 4 I figured I’d read the books to see how they compared, and oof I could barely get through even just the first one. By the dozenth meaningful/prophetic dream a character had I was rolling my eyes so hard I could see my own spine.

Season 1 took that book and put it pretty much on screen as is, but improved it in so many little ways:

The moon door being a hole in the floor rather than a door in the side of the castle - better

Tyrion confessing what happened with the girl he fell in love with happening on the eve of a battle and not just a random thing he tells Bronn, a sellsword he just met, while strolling along the road - better

Tyrion’s “well I haven’t got it on me” promise of gold to the Eyrie jailer all being done for dark comedy, and in one scene, rather than serious and involving the jailer leaving and coming back a couple of times - better

Ned Stark getting wounded in a fight with Lannister soldiers (and Jaime being pissed off about a grunt intervening) rather than just getting hurt falling off a horse - better

All the characters being almost legal instead of creepily underage you fat pedo gently caress - better, just

And so many other little things that just seemed like good, logical, and clear improvements that kept the spirit but made it richer and more coherent.

To think they went from “better than the books” levels to “worse than horny fanfiction” in the space of a few seasons.

You know how you start reading a post, then you're like two lines in and go "who the gently caress is writing this dumb poo poo", then you actually look at the poster's name and go oooohhhh.