Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Arcologies and apartments are both traps, everything but basic houses is a trap choice, as I’m coming to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Apartments in basic domes with a farm and the appropriate techs gets you to 55 comfort, which isn't too bad. Add in some hanging gardens for another +30 comfort and you can cram a lot of people in a small space while requiring only concrete to maintain.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

With the new "Capture Meteors" planetary mission you can adopt a hilarious but effective high-risk high-reward strategy of constantly summoning meteors onto your colony to get those sweet, sweet resources. It's actually pretty dang handy at times, especially if you happened to have settled the only area in the map without any metal deposits. The meteor storms are usually pretty mild (but can last around 2 sols at worst) and don't fall on your base that frequently but they produce more resources than regular storms.

It is slightly heartbreaking when they land on a forest you don't have MDS coverage over, though. :smith:

Also with the Terraforming Initiative it's pretty handy being able to capture ice asteroids right from the beginning since the bonus for water is pretty strong on the vaporator production and frees up a few of your early mechanical parts consumers if you don't have to build all those extractors.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Honky Dong Country posted:

I very strongly recommend barrel domes for your early domes. You get more space than a basic dome and honestly the lack of a spire slot is inconsequential that early. Basic domes are complete poo poo imo. By the time you've got actual useful spire options you'll likely have mediums unlocked.

E: The exception being that one commander that starts with arcologies. If you've got that a basic might actually be worth it. Oligarch I think? But honestly even that's debatable. Arcology is 32 capacity, which is less than two apartment buildings (which totals out to 48 slots). Iunno man I'm by no means an expert, but I've generally found that barrel domes are best until you get mediums in my experience.

In vanilla I totally agree. I pretty much only play on Chaos Theory / difficulty boosters now (my earlier first run with the new DLC excepted) so depending on luck it'll push one way or the other. Barrel domes are 20 polymer vs 10 for basics too, and if you got 1 rocket and limited money options it can make a difference.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Arcologies and apartments are both traps, everything but basic houses is a trap choice, as I’m coming to learn

Care to explain? Genuinely curious.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I usually wind up building at least two Basic domes before I have the tech and resources for a Medium. I put them together with the assumption that they are going to become residential domes with the first Mediums being work and services domes all connected together; I look for a Vista near a science booster and rare metals, in that order. I'm on a new start for the DLC and this time I dropped two residential and a science Basics, then flattened a mountain to create a space for a Medium which hits two science deposits and also has two Rare Metals deposits. Now an oval is done between the two science domes, and that second residential Basic is probably becoming schools and services.

Probably going to build my Space Elevator here, since I'm not halfway through the rare metals and have spun up electronics production in this complex; basically my first remote settlement can be a perfectly-placed rosette of Diamond Domes around a Mega or Gaia Dome, sited to access huge amounts of resources. And, as electronics needs scale this complex can haphazardly sprawl around itself to add living and working space, spaghetti under glass.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, lucked out on one game where an early anomaly got me a Triboelectric Scrubber on like Sol 3. Plopped that down next to a bunch of stirling generators, opened them up, never had to worry about maintaining them and man that thing paid for itself.

Unfortunately I had to abandon that run because foolish placement of various structures had prevented me from expanding in the direction I needed to and tearing it all down would have starved my base of life support.

As a gimmick I was also trying to combine India with City Mayor to see how well those reduced costs for building stacked up with each other. Not bad, all in all.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don’t get the apartment hate. The comfort isn’t that important if you got decent services and they allow some great population density.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
It's the power consumption.

Dark_Avatar456
Oct 7, 2005
Your avatar (un-ironically to my name) made me not read the first few lines.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Morholt posted:

It's the power consumption.

So it consumes power, but it lets you shove 10 more people into the same dome triangle, in the late game it doesn't matter, in the early game just place more solar panels, still cheaper than adding another connected dome.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If power consumption is the issue with apartments, then that just makes them a late-game thing right? If you get the unmanned fusion plants breakthrough or build the sun wonder, power is no longer an issue. I've spammed them everywhere in my lategame colony and it's nbd

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Arcologies, apartments and smart homes have much higher maintenance costs and it's easy to counteract the comfort penalty of the basic houses with the farm tech and things like hanging gardens.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Apartments only eat concrete though. It's not like you're burning electronics like smart homes do.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Apartments are loving awesome, with a vista and the farm Comfort tech they get 50 Comfort, in Basic/Barrel domes they get a flat 10 bonus, in Diamond or Oval domes I'm almost certainly building a hanging gardens and then some other spire. I've got 220+ folks each housed in two Ovals, with some basic services on the tunnel entrance triangle and two full plots set aside for gardens and poo poo.

Space elevator complete, making 15 electronics per sol and using 4.8 for upkeep, making like 3.5 and using 10 of Machine Parts. NBD, I found breakthroughs which let depleted extractors run poorly forever and which let extractors run unmanned at 50 performance. Metals aren't lost, a dome doesn't need to be nearby, just the mining is slow. I've got every standard shuttle buff and two hangars, as long as I can make fuel I can make cash.

I haven't seen any techs or events related to terraforming, but Steam says I have the DLC and its installed, and I have the option to grow seed crops in farms. I think I'm on like Sol 120, the AI mystery just asked politely to be unshackled; am I close to a reveal or is something not right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Apartments only eat concrete though. It's not like you're burning electronics like smart homes do.

Apartments take Polymers as well, but those tend to be the first advanced resource you stop caring about. I've never seen the appeal of Smart Homes. By satisfying my Martians' needs I've had them gently caress like rabbits (until the colony collapses from starvation because I looked away for FIVE loving MINUTES and you little shits threw the condoms out the airlock) in domes that were basically extra-planetary duplicates of the old Soviet/Eastern European apartment blocks of brutalistic concrete.

Also if you get the Water Reclamation tower and have the untrained labor to man it basic dome is great early on for an early farm dome. Obviously a medium dome would be better but everyone's gotta start somewhere and it's not like your starter will stop working. Either Barrel Dome or 2x (or 3x) linked Micro Domes is a better start though. Barrel gives more space, Micros don't need polymers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah apartments rock and especially with the vistas giving 10 comfort to any dome, even multiple ones, in its radius. Just lol at the idea of spamming basic habitats everywhere. Just make yourself a breeding dome with some adult to middle aged people and give them high comforts, then disallow children in the dome so the kids all move to your playground.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

Care to explain? Genuinely curious.

With the power requirement (they need 12 power to a house’s 1!) they are more than twice as expensive as just building twice as many Domes with houses. Even with the life support requirements of another Dome factored in! The space efficiency they give is not actually significant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LonsomeSon posted:

Apartments are loving awesome, with a vista and the farm Comfort tech they get 50 Comfort, in Basic/Barrel domes they get a flat 10 bonus, in Diamond or Oval domes I'm almost certainly building a hanging gardens and then some other spire. I've got 220+ folks each housed in two Ovals, with some basic services on the tunnel entrance triangle and two full plots set aside for gardens and poo poo.

Space elevator complete, making 15 electronics per sol and using 4.8 for upkeep, making like 3.5 and using 10 of Machine Parts. NBD, I found breakthroughs which let depleted extractors run poorly forever and which let extractors run unmanned at 50 performance. Metals aren't lost, a dome doesn't need to be nearby, just the mining is slow. I've got every standard shuttle buff and two hangars, as long as I can make fuel I can make cash.

I haven't seen any techs or events related to terraforming, but Steam says I have the DLC and its installed, and I have the option to grow seed crops in farms. I think I'm on like Sol 120, the AI mystery just asked politely to be unshackled; am I close to a reveal or is something not right?
From the start you should have had a whole new tech tree just for terraforming. But having seeds is a good sign.

I had to have Steam validate files to get my DLC recognized after a long time not playing, maybe you might have run into similar.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Is a dedicated farm dome the way to go? I usually pick up the tech that gives +comfort for farms, and then have one farm per dome. Though given recent games, I’m not sure one farm per dome is enough. :/

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

skeleton warrior posted:

Is a dedicated farm dome the way to go? I usually pick up the tech that gives +comfort for farms, and then have one farm per dome. Though given recent games, I’m not sure one farm per dome is enough. :/

The main draw is using the water reclamation spire to cut down on the water usage whilst keeping your other domes free for spires of your choice - I wouldn't necessarily open with one but they're good value.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Alkydere posted:

Apartments take Polymers as well

Yeah on construction sure, I was more referring to the long term burden of their maintenance, which is just piddly lil concrete.

Obliterati posted:

The main draw is using the water reclamation spire to cut down on the water usage whilst keeping your other domes free for spires of your choice - I wouldn't necessarily open with one but they're good value.

Yeah it's not something I set up ASAP but once you can poo poo out a field of vaporators to feed one and find a location that doesn't gently caress up access to deposits, an agri dome is very useful for precisely this reason. It's nice to have a dedicated break basket for the colony especially since with Project Laika you've got even more options for food output, including the fuckin' awesome high-yield cows. Also if you've got Green Planet, said vaporator field can also be used to feed lakes (for what that's worth considering their dismally slow progress on the water portion of terraforming.)

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

Yea it seem that they have nerfed farm, 1 per medium dome lead to famine even with the fancy crops.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Krogort posted:

Yea it seem that they have nerfed farm, 1 per medium dome lead to famine even with the fancy crops.

If you've got Project Laika, a couple out-dome ranches raising cattle will poo poo out enough food to sustain several domes though. Dunno much about the new out-dome farms other than they are unmanned, which is nice. Can't say much about their output though because I just built one and it's currently growing seeds because holy gently caress do in-dome options for seeds suck rear end.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Needing some more help with the sphere mystery. I've trapped the three spheres and the wiki tells me I need to research the mystery tech Xeno-Terraforming so I can dismantle them. I don't see that tech anywhere on my research screen though. It might be because the screen is already full with 140/140 techs researched? Am I just boned or is it somewhere else?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

Needing some more help with the sphere mystery. I've trapped the three spheres and the wiki tells me I need to research the mystery tech Xeno-Terraforming so I can dismantle them. I don't see that tech anywhere on my research screen though. It might be because the screen is already full with 140/140 techs researched? Am I just boned or is it somewhere else?

Mystery-specific techs are all breakthroughs, in my experience. Check that column.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Mystery-specific techs are all breakthroughs, in my experience. Check that column.

I did, it's already full. The last two spaces are the first two techs from the mystery.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 21, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

Pre expansion save? There's a separate research tree for terraforming.

The workshop has a mod to add terraforming to old saves.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Also on the topic of specialized domes, in addition to an agri dome I also generally like to set up some kind of manufacturing hub for machine parts, electronics, and drones. Likewise I set up domes that serve as roving swarms of hungry locusts to mine out resources or, in the case of water deposits, turn them into polymers. As each deposit gets depleted I build a dome for the next location, then decom and dismantle the ones whose deposits are tapped out. I used to set up a dedicated dome for rearing children and education but I found out that this quickly gets outpaced by population growth and once you've got oval domes or mediums you're better off just setting up nurseries, schools, and universities in each. Other than that the only other permanent dome type I use so far are for research on top of the relevant booster nodes.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

I did, it's already full. The last two spaces are the first two techs from the mystery.

This might be a pretty major oversight on the part of the devs. Might want to let them know what's up. You might be hosed. :(

Man that makes me glad I already completed this map's mystery.

E: Also I'm finding that the new open farms are by far the best option for seed production. For every seed it eats it shits out five. Lot better than the large in-dome farms' base 5 seeds per 5 sols. Well, it's the best source until shrubs and trees are a thing, anyway. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 21, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Building a solar system spanning solar panel to capture all of the energy of a star so that I can power my bitcoin mining.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I might have gone a little off the deep end when I discovered a huge plateau next to my base by building a giant ramp up to the top and filling it in with wind turbines. The idea was to run cabling through a tunnel down to the dome at the bottom and not have to worry about generators but I imagine this is actually a dumb idea seeing as how I'll have to have drones/materials nearby all the time for maintenance. It sure looks cool though! :waycool:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Why is that dumb? Put a drone hub and a machine parts stockpile up there, spam a few wind turbines, and you should be good for power until lategame. Even if you don't have shuttles yet you only need to truck more machine parts up there every now and again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wafflecopper posted:

Why is that dumb? Put a drone hub and a machine parts stockpile up there, spam a few wind turbines, and you should be good for power until lategame. Even if you don't have shuttles yet you only need to truck more machine parts up there every now and again.

I'm still very very early on, just about to finish the founder's stage on my first dome. I think it'll come in handy but I thought the repair costs might be prohibitive at this point in the game. I will definitely use it to power my new dome once I can get more colonists in but I am spending a lot of resources to get this thing up and running when I proooobably don't need this much power right now. But you are right, it'll be nice to have when I really start getting high power demand.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I lucked out pretty hard with the double wind production breakthrough. So now I’ve got turbines on in a hill producing 28 power each.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Wafflecopper posted:

Did the quest update and tell you to get that last tech? Because that's when it unlocks, when the spheres start their last phase. If that happened and you still don't have it then yeah you are probably in bug land.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

explosivo posted:

I might have gone a little off the deep end when I discovered a huge plateau next to my base by building a giant ramp up to the top and filling it in with wind turbines. The idea was to run cabling through a tunnel down to the dome at the bottom and not have to worry about generators but I imagine this is actually a dumb idea seeing as how I'll have to have drones/materials nearby all the time for maintenance. It sure looks cool though! :waycool:

Do wind turbines actually get any benefit from higher altitude within the game map or is that benefit just straight calculated from the altitude as displayed during site selection? I mean either way I get the aesthetics of wanting to put wind turbines up high and all but I'm curious about if that actually makes a difference.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do wind turbines actually get any benefit from higher altitude within the game map or is that benefit just straight calculated from the altitude as displayed during site selection? I mean either way I get the aesthetics of wanting to put wind turbines up high and all but I'm curious about if that actually makes a difference.

The description makes it seem like it does make a difference, I think it was showing a +42% increase in production due to the height difference.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

explosivo posted:

The description makes it seem like it does make a difference, I think it was showing a +42% increase in production due to the height difference.

Yeah, the game is accounting for local height, not the height of the map hex relative to the rest of Mars.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cool, I appreciate the information for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Did the quest update and tell you to get that last tech? Because that's when it unlocks, when the spheres start their last phase. If that happened and you still don't have it then yeah you are probably in bug land.

I thought the blurb told me to research something, but it turns out I'm a dumb rear end and just had to wait for the timer. I thought it was a fail state clock rather than something I had to wait for. So I've done all the milestones, 100% terraformed the planet, and finally finished the mystery, just in time for sol 500:

Wish I'd found the sphere sooner (it right on the edge of the map, on a plateau, real easy to miss) because those giant crops would have saved me having to :f5: +food on the elevator way too many times. Appreciate all the help from the thread nonetheless.