Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
They Live is a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

They Live is a documentary.

idiocracy is a documentary

the futurama movies are a documentary

rocky IV is a documentary

the upcoming Joker film is a documentary, about how we live in a society

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Yes, the problem with endless sequels is that it was too many IPs

Endgame cost 350 million to make, why is it not good?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Things were so much better when we had normal mainstream movies like Die Hard 2, 3, 4, 5, Jaws 2 , 3, 4, Matrix 2, 3, and Friday the 13th 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...

IMO nothing has really changed and we still get a few great movies every year same as any other year

To be fair the “cinematic universe” concept takes this poo poo to another level. And Endgame makes approximately 0 sense if you haven’t seen like 15 other films whereas some Nightmare on Elm Street sequel pretty stands alone.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also comic books are lame as gently caress

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Yes, the problem with endless sequels is that it was too many IPs

Endgame cost 350 million to make, why is it not good?

Because it is a marketing vehicle first, a distraction second, a cinematographic tech demonstration third, and a story like 40th.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s too bad Universal pulled the plug so quickly on THE DARK UNIVERSE

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

hawowanlawow posted:

also comic books are lame as gently caress

Dude, they got Kung Fu and explosions in them.

I've said this a thousand times but that's kind of all you need.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

American comics are just flat out inferior to manga, by a huge margin. There's breadth and depth of manga is crazy, you could read nothing but manga about the preparation and enjoyment of food and never run out. Meanwhile American comics are 80% superheroes, 15% sci-fi and fantasy, and 5% terrible memoirs written by 28 year olds about how they almost had sex in high school and were sad in college.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Killing Joke is a great comic, so great that every comic I have attempted to read since has bored me.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

5% terrible memoirs written by 28 year olds about how they almost had sex in high school and were sad in college.

what, as opposed to the currently most popular genre of manga, which is boring virgin nerds who play too much games getting violently murdered and waking up in a video game world where they have five different wives at the least? i think they call it "isekai" which probably translates to "incel" in japanese

american comics are boring and marvel barely gives a poo poo about them any more, any superheroes before the 2000s already have all their best stories to pull from for the movies, meaning that whoever is currently writing any captain america comics can just make it about loving nothing because nobody's going to read the comics that won't be integrated into the MCU. any heroes after the 2000s like Kickass can get a good first movie loosely based on the then-developing comic, and then a sequel nobody will care about.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 19:36 on May 21, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

American comics are just flat out inferior to manga, by a huge margin.

When it comes to leading to good movies (not just entertaining to watch but actually good) they are pretty much identical, in the sense that neither of them have ever done it. Just keep them in their books.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can’t call the Fullmetal Alchemist movie good, per se, but it’s a fun watch. Delightfully japanese. In a fun way not a 12-year-old girl/1000-year-old succubus way.

It’s better than Endgame.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The mcu is for what I like to call “the common folk”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When it comes to leading to good movies (not just entertaining to watch but actually good) they are pretty much identical, in the sense that neither of them have ever done it. Just keep them in their books.

Oldboy, Ichi the Killer, Lone Wolf and Cub, Lady Snowblood, Solanin, and I've heard good things about the Thermae Romae movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I also love Tokyo Tribe but I'm not gonna disagree with anyone who says it's garbage

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

The mcu is for what I like to call “the common folk”

More like oldplebless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's loving garbage that there are like 50 Marvel movies and Dredd, the one great comic book movie bombs and never gets a sequel.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Hanging baskets full of beautiful flowers should be displayed at the front of the house, not in the back yard.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

it's loving garbage that there are like 50 Marvel movies and Dredd, the one great comic book movie bombs and never gets a sequel.

I didn't even know that Dredd did that badly. drat, I really enjoyed that movie.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We should just adopt neo-40s fashion forever. Swing dresses and faux military chic for everyone.

Plus you’ll know who to avoid whenever you see a dude at the bar in a grey and jackboots.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We should just adopt neo-40s fashion forever. Swing dresses and faux military chic for everyone.

Plus you’ll know who to avoid whenever you see a dude at the bar in a grey and jackboots.

All the women should have to dress like Woody Guthrie and all the men should have to dress like Lauren Bacall

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

I didn't even know that Dredd did that badly. drat, I really enjoyed that movie.

It lost loads of money in theaters, but got enough of a cult following that it did well in DVD/Blu Ray sales to mostly recoup I think. Not well enough to get a sequel despite everyone involved seeming to be interested.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

veni veni veni posted:

It was an amazing movie, shocked me too that it did so poorly. I think Urban was talking at one point about it being turned into a TV series but AFAIK it may be a long way off, if it happens at all :(

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'd be down with a sequel if they put Rob Schneider in it to tie it together with the better one.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd be down for that but the MRAs ruined fedoras for everyone.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MightyJoe36 posted:

I'd be down for that but the MRAs ruined fedoras for everyone.

just wear it ironically, that excuse always works

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone knows the Homburg was the superior old school hat anyways. Fedoras were for broke joke player haters. Homburgs were for sophisticated men about town.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
How do you feel about baseball hats? When I see one I think "must be hiding a bald spot".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

How do you feel about baseball hats? When I see one I think "must be hiding a bald spot".

Forwards or backwards?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doverhog posted:

let me pull off my baseball cap for a sec and...

yup. Checks out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

lets go Mets baby love da mets

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

These giant rear end implants that celebrities get now look monstrous. It is beyond me how anyone could see Kim Kardashian, Nicki Minaj,or Iggy Azelia's giant fake rear end and not think it looks like some sort of deformity.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm an rear end connoisseur, and I agree. Not a fan of the "giant rear end" trend in general. Having defined glutes that you get by working out is great, but they should be proportional to your body. And definitely not fake rear end implants.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The government should open free gyms that everybody can use

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Agreed, but only if “personal trainer” and “terrorist” get the same jurisprudence

Yes I have moved. No I don’t need a trainer. Yes I exercise. Yes I know how a leg press works. No I don’t have any fitness goals. Yes I have been squatting for a decade and failed at injuring myself the whole time. I don’t need help. Yes. No. I’m fine. No. Not even the free session. Please. No.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:17 on May 24, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

why?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Because it benefits both the rulers and the polity? :shrug:
On paper. Definitely benefits the polity.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why should governments do good things?

and don't tell me because they're good. I don't want to hear that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed, but only if “personal trainer” and “terrorist” get the same jurisprudence

Yes I have moved. No I don’t need a trainer. Yes I exercise. Yes I know how a leg press works. No I don’t have any fitness goals. Yes I have been squatting for a decade and failed at injuring myself the whole time. I don’t need help. Yes. No. I’m fine. No. Not even the free session. Please. No.

The trainers at the Gymbrary will be different because they won't be trying to sell you a membership or anything

Because physical fitness is important but gyms are often too expensive.