Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Puppy Time posted:

I like how he's both completely unaware that everyone talks like that off the cuff and totally missing the very good point in the end of the kid's spiel.

Not just everyone in general, but specifically the big wet boy that he is at the rally to cover. Does he have the courage to give a verbatim transcription of Trump's speech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Paypal sounds like it's your friend so you're equal. MasterCard sounds too Hitlerish, Visa is about immigration and shouldn't even be on the list, and American Express isn't right either, freedom can't be rushed, buddy.

None of the above also isn't good because that's just a non answer, take a stand already.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I like how he's both completely unaware that everyone talks like that off the cuff and totally missing the very good point in the end of the kid's spiel.

https://twitter.com/KirstyStricklan/status/1130713592779739137

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can only assume he was surprised that teenagers are still using "like" as the filler of choice.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

With vocal ticks being as common as they are. I'm surprised that so many movies have actors do scenes over and over again until they get the wording perfect. The complete lack of vocal ticks in many movies make things seem less genuine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

I can only assume he was surprised that teenagers are still using "like" as the filler of choice.

I’m pretty sure this is like, everyone under forty.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m pretty sure this is like, everyone under forty.

At this point it's barely even a tic, it's a purposeful choice for emphasis, especially when used to underline the ridiculous or petty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Katt posted:

With vocal ticks being as common as they are. I'm surprised that so many movies have actors do scenes over and over again until they get the wording perfect. The complete lack of vocal ticks in many movies make things seem less genuine.

Yeah but imagine trying to watch a 2 hour movie filled with all the vocal tics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but imagine trying to watch a 2 hour movie filled with all the vocal tics.

Wouldn't that just be Reservoir Dogs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

At this point it's barely even a tic, it's a purposeful choice for emphasis, especially when used to underline the ridiculous or petty.

The interviewee was clearly using it as a filler which first became a thing during what, the 80s? 90s?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

hobbesmaster posted:

The interviewee was clearly using it as a filler which first became a thing during what, the 80s? 90s?

Well like what I was saying that it's been so common for so long that people will like, even type it out because it's passed "embarrassing thing to avoid" into "accepted to the point where, like, it's used for emphasis or other purposeful reasons" so picking on it is like the oldest and pettiest of old petty man things to do.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 16:29 on May 21, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember MAD Magazine making fun of "like" and "y'know" in the 70s.

e: I mean I don't literally remember, I was reading, like, compilations

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think it peaked in the late 80s/early 90s with Valley Girl speech but now it's just a standard.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I bet he has real strong opinions about ladies’ vocal fry too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it peaked in the late 80s/early 90s with Valley Girl speech but now it's just a standard.

Mid 80s. I was in high school when Zappa's song with his daughter came out. I can remember there were all those cheap grocery/gas station vocabulary books aimed at teens.

E: Huh, I just looked it up and it's earlier than I thought - 1982

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

The Russian government literally declared non-heterosexuals part of decadent Westernism which they've publicly repudiated as part of their official policies. And it's probably a lot scarier to be a homosexual living in Russian than one visiting, since it's legal to discriminated base on it and, for instance, boot you out of a job. About half the population, based on polling, want homosexuals to be locked up as mentally ill or outright executed.

So no Russia is exactly as dystopian as people think.

This isn’t any different from the US, let’s be honest

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arivia posted:

Come the gently caress on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Come the gently caress on.

Did I miss the Trump administration booting out Pence in the last hour? Is gender identity and sexual orientation being added to rights laws? Hey look there was only a small increase in the number of trans women of colour being murdered last year!

Sure, there are communities and states with better policies but at the federal level (executive and judiciary), as a country, the US really isn’t any better.

PS: I think there’s only 48 states that a man could murder me and then say he got turned on and didn’t realize I was trans as a legal defense!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Arivia posted:

While being queer in the US is certainly no picnic, it's far better than in Russia where it's government policy to discriminate against everything that isn't straight and "normal." That's not to say the US doesn't have the same sort of thing, but at least in the US the chuds have to couch everything in euphemisms and therefore have a much harder time of passing their fascist bullshit.

Russia is is a frozen hellzone of repression and resurgent far-right fascism. Why do you think the GOP is creaming its boxers about it?

Arivia posted:

Did I miss the Trump administration booting out Pence in the last hour? Is gender identity and sexual orientation being added to rights laws? Hey look there was only a small increase in the number of trans women of colour being murdered last year!

Sure, there are communities and states with better policies but at the federal level (executive and judiciary), as a country, the US really isn’t any better.

PS: I think there’s only 48 states that a man could murder me and then say he got turned on and didn’t realize I was trans as a legal defense!

The US could absolutely do better, but in Russia you could post this and they'd be all, "Yeah, why is it only 48 states?" and then in the next month or so you would be found dead due to a definite suicide where you somehow shot yourself in the back of the head.

Oh, and on TV your "suicide" would be used as "proof" of your Western degeneracy. The US has a long loving way to go, but let's at least understand that Russia is worse.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 18:24 on May 21, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

While being queer in the US is certainly no picnic, it's far better than in Russia where it's government policy to discriminate against everything that isn't straight and "normal." That's not to say the US doesn't have the same sort of thing, but at least in the US the chuds have to couch everything in euphemisms and therefore have a much harder time of passing their fascist bullshit.

Russia is is a frozen hellzone of repression and resurgent far-right fascism. Why do you think the GOP is creaming its boxers about it?

It’s government policy now in the US. It was slightly better under the Obama administration because they read sexual orientation and gender identity into sex wherever they could, but the actual laws didn’t change so Trump is back to making GBS threads on queer people as official policy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arivia posted:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
russia is the panda of countries, except the panda is also violently drunk , depressingly pathetic drunk, and super envious wants to drag everyone else down to or below its level.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Arivia posted:

"But the US also did a bad thing once, so clearly let's not judge Russia or hold them responsible for their bullshit as everyone is equally bad. PS have I shown you my Vladimir Putin poster? He's so dreamy when he's squashing dissent."

No, really, go gently caress yourself with that kind of arguing. Other places doing a similarly bad thing on a lesser or greater scale, or at some point in the past, do not excuse a bad thing being done now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/20/us/dallas-transgender-homicide/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

@purplexvi: Everyone has problems. Things ain’t super amazing up here in Canada either. But pretending Russia is so much worse when the Trump administration is trying to remove queer people from society is absurd.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Arivia posted:

It’s government policy now in the US. It was slightly better under the Obama administration because they read sexual orientation and gender identity into sex wherever they could, but the actual laws didn’t change so Trump is back to making GBS threads on queer people as official policy.

I'm not defending our back-assward laws, but please understand that things in the US are improving. People are speaking out, and change is occurring. It's slow change, and it sure as gently caress ain't enough, but saying "it's as bad as Russia" not only ignores the efforts of the few good people we have in the US but also lessens the impact of the atrocities committed in Russia.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Arivia posted:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/05/20/us/dallas-transgender-homicide/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

@purplexvi: Everyone has problems. Things ain’t super amazing up here in Canada either. But pretending Russia is so much worse when the Trump administration is trying to remove queer people from society is absurd.

Trump's boys are certainly trying to remove queer people. Putin's boys are removing queer people. There is a difference.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Picnic Princess posted:

The world also moves and changes so fast now that "wisdom" doesn't mean jack poo poo anymore. You have to adapt and learn quickly, what was relevant today will be irrelevant tomorrow. Life experience won't get you anywhere when the world is completely different than what you experienced.

I don't automatically disrespect elders, but I definitely lose a lot of respect for them when they treat you like incompetent morons and refuse to acknowledge that you're perfectly capable of figuring out your world even if you've been in it for less time than they have.

This is also why rants about "why don't schools teach practical things like how to do your taxes instead of the quadratic formula" are stupid. We have no idea what sort of skills today's students will need in thirty years. Schools are (or at least should be) for teaching students how to learn. Algebra teaches how to break down problems logically, Literature and writing teach how to analyze arguments and rhetoric, history teaches about cause-and-effect in society, etc. Learn to learn and you can figure out whatever new skills you're required to have in the future.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm not defending our back-assward laws, but please understand that things in the US are improving. People are speaking out, and change is occurring. It's slow change, and it sure as gently caress ain't enough, but saying "it's as bad as Russia" not only ignores the efforts of the few good people we have in the US but also lessens the impact of the atrocities committed in Russia.

You could literally swap the US and Russia in this quote and it would mean the exact same thing. Look I’m not saying one deserves to get off scot-free or is blameless. I’m saying that the post I originally quoted is going “well hey we ain’t like them” ignoring how much you really are like them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Arivia posted:

Yes let's not pretend the country that actively denounces homosexuality is worse than the country which at least has legal protection for homosexuals in some of its states and has an active bloc of liberal politicians trying to introduce things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_Act_(United_States) which has a non-zero chance of getting passed.

Why is it so hard to accept that Russia is a country that does some immensely lovely things? It doesn't give the US, Europe, Saudi Arabia, Zanzibar, Sealand or whatever other nation you've got in mind a free pass. It's not a matter of critiquing Russia meaning you have to give the US big sloppy blowjobs. Yet you seem to be treating it as though if you don't "BUT WHATABOUT" in defense of Russia, you aren't rebelling against US authority/imperialism hard enough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Trump's boys are certainly trying to remove queer people. Putin's boys are removing queer people. There is a difference.

ICE and the cops are doing a good job of removing queer people for you.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Arivia posted:

You could literally swap the US and Russia in this quote and it would mean the exact same thing. Look I’m not saying one deserves to get off scot-free or is blameless. I’m saying that the post I originally quoted is going “well hey we ain’t like them” ignoring how much you really are like them.

If you think you can swap Russia and the US in this quote, then you haven't read what I said. Pence wants to outlaw homosexuality. Putin essentially has.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

ICE and the cops are doing a good job of removing queer people for you.

Okay go on. Please tell me how ICE is deporting gay people and arresting them at the border, because if you can source that reliably, that would be news to me. Now brown people, I'll grant you, people with funny accents and not all their papers in order, I'll grant you. But ICE vs homosexuals? What?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Katt posted:

Same thing in stage plays. Some playwrights actually do write with a more naturalistic kind of dialogue, with starts and stops and pauses and fillers, and it honestly has a totally different effect. I like it, but it would be exhausting if all media did that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Yes let's not pretend the country that actively denounces homosexuality is worse than the country which at least has legal protection for homosexuals in some of its states and has an active bloc of liberal politicians trying to introduce things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_Act_(United_States) which has a non-zero chance of getting passed.

Why is it so hard to accept that Russia is a country that does some immensely lovely things? It doesn't give the US, Europe, Saudi Arabia, Zanzibar, Sealand or whatever other nation you've got in mind a free pass. It's not a matter of critiquing Russia meaning you have to give the US big sloppy blowjobs. Yet you seem to be treating it as though if you don't "BUT WHATABOUT" in defense of Russia, you aren't rebelling against US authority/imperialism hard enough.

Get back to me when you actually do something thanks. I fully accept that Russia’s doing terrible poo poo. It’s just that the US is too. In the original argument I quoted the argument was that Russia was so much worse, with a “Greenwich Potemkin Village.” I doubt the US is much better on a federal level.

@SI: Pence has. No anti-discrimination protection, no protection from conversion therapy. Might not be as blatant, but the US has a lot of the same tools. They just do it a lot quieter and without as much criticism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arivia posted:

Get back to me when you actually do something thanks. I fully accept that Russia’s doing terrible poo poo. It’s just that the US is too. In the original argument I quoted the argument was that Russia was so much worse, with a “Greenwich Potemkin Village.” I doubt the US is much better on a federal level.

@SI: Pence has. No anti-discrimination protection, no protection from conversion therapy. Might not be as blatant, but the US has a lot of the same tools. They just do it a lot quieter and without as much criticism.

Found an idiot on social media.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay go on. Please tell me how ICE is deporting gay people and arresting them at the border, because if you can source that reliably, that would be news to me. Now brown people, I'll grant you, people with funny accents and not all their papers in order, I'll grant you. But ICE vs homosexuals? What?

Here’s a Human Rights Watch report on how badly ICE treats trans women in detention; https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/report_pdf/us0316_web.pdf

This was on a quick Google since I’m on my phone. It really shouldn’t surprise you that queer people are especially targeted and mistreated by ICE as a police force of the state.

Look, I’ll level with you. As a feminist and a trans woman I’m continually seeing and reading stories about how badly queer people are treated in the US in a multitude of ways up to and including official state violence. It may not be as visible, it may not be what you’ve seen from a more mainstream perspective, but it’s there. It’s part of the conservative kyriarchial discourse the Trump administration is carrying out, plain and simple.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Arivia, I really wanna support you here, because I totally and firmly agree that the US is turning into a fascist nightmare state that seems to be dead-set on peeling back the paper-thin veneer of reform we've somehow managed to stick up in the last few decades, but judging from some of the stuff I've seen you say in the past (which I won't bring up here since rapsheet-sniping is in poor taste) I don't think we're gonna find any middle ground since any evidence you're shown will be met your internal narrative of "I Know Better Than You."

Just realize that in some countries, when politicians want to erase queer people, they don't have to back "religious liberty" bills, they just have to have armed men in trucks drive to their homes and murder them. And to them it's okay, it's legal, the people support it, and hey, maybe it was even God's Will.

I don't know about you, but if I was queer, I'd prefer to be queer in the US, where if I get murdered there might be a chance the killers will be caught and arrested, rather than in Russia where if I get murdered the killers will be given a loving bonus.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Arivia, I really wanna support you here, because I totally and firmly agree that the US is turning into a fascist nightmare state that seems to be dead-set on peeling back the paper-thin veneer of reform we've somehow managed to stick up in the last few decades, but judging from some of the stuff I've seen you say in the past (which I won't bring up here since rapsheet-sniping is in poor taste) I don't think we're gonna find any middle ground since any evidence you're shown will be met your internal narrative of "I Know Better Than You."

Just realize that in some countries, when politicians want to erase queer people, they don't have to back "religious liberty" bills, they just have to have armed men in trucks drive to their homes and murder them. And to them it's okay, it's legal, the people support it, and hey, maybe it was even God's Will.

I don't know about you, but if I was queer, I'd prefer to be queer in the US, where if I get murdered there might be a chance the killers will be caught and arrested, rather than in Russia where if I get murdered the killers will be given a loving bonus.

I think in the US they’d get a bonus too. And you have plenty of cops riding with a hot hand to get off free with a killing to show it. In Canada they’d get a bonus for shooting Indigenous people instead.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Arivia posted:

Here’s a Human Rights Watch report on how badly ICE treats trans women in detention; https://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/report_pdf/us0316_web.pdf

This was on a quick Google since I’m on my phone. It really shouldn’t surprise you that queer people are especially targeted and mistreated by ICE as a police force of the state.

Look, I’ll level with you. As a feminist and a trans woman I’m continually seeing and reading stories about how badly queer people are treated in the US in a multitude of ways up to and including official state violence. It may not be as visible, it may not be what you’ve seen from a more mainstream perspective, but it’s there. It’s part of the conservative kyriarchial discourse the Trump administration is carrying out, plain and simple.

As a feminist and a trans woman who lives in the US, shut the gently caress up. You come off like this a spectator sport to you, and you're only interested in what scores points against the other team.

"ICE treats trans women in detention badly" and "ICE and the cops are doing a good job of removing queer people" aren't the same thing - and going back through every post you've made here today you keep :umberto: - and you know this, but you don't care; you're just scoring points.

So please. Go wave your giant foam finger somewhere else. This is offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Arivia posted:

I think in the US they’d get a bonus too. And you have plenty of cops riding with a hot hand to get off free with a killing to show it. In Canada they’d get a bonus for shooting Indigenous people instead.

And it's still illegal. It gets done, but it's done in defiance of the law, and believe it or not, that is still important. It means we can push back and someday get a semblance of justice, that the possibility of reform exists.

EDIT:
also lol, here's some content

Arivia posted:

I have an actual degree in English and Women’s Studies. I have actual training and expertise in these critical questions. I care because I do not want studies that I am passionate about made a mockery of by someone’s uninformed bullshit. There is no critical basis for a gender-swapped Doom Slayer because gender is not written onto the Doom Slayer as part of the text at any level beyond the most basic and linguistic. It is kneejerk whining that does not reflect an actual analysis of the game.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 18:59 on May 21, 2019