Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

zakharov posted:

Every day I am thankful that my cats don't demand to share my bed because I'd never sleep.

The face clawing is recent only in the last few months and I don't understand why. He used to just lay at my feet and swat them when I got too close. But now he demands attention in the middle of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Kitty jail update: we had supervised visitation the past two days and the cats were able to mostly share a room without fighting. They still hate each other but, progress!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Lightning Knight posted:

Kitty jail update: we had supervised visitation the past two days and the cats were able to mostly share a room without fighting. They still hate each other but, progress!

Look back a few pages for my posts on this same topic. After a week or so of learning each other's boundaries my Original and New Cats have learned to play fight without actually hurting each other. It can look pretty intense but there's no growls or puffy tails so things seem ok.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This is a question that has plagued me for years.

I have two cats which adopted 6 years ago. One of them (Tobias) was a kitten at the time, and the other (Raphael) was an adult, approx. 3-5 years old, so now he’s 9-11. Raphael clearly likes me a lot — he follows me everywhere, he sits on me whenever I sit down, he sleeps next to me every night, he licks my hands and arms a lot, purrs like a moto when I hold him in my arms, etc. But he never, ever rubs up against me. Ever.

If I’m standing in a narrow spot and Raphael walks by me, he will very carefully step past me to avoid touching my legs. When I come home after work, he will make happy sounds and run to greet me at the door, and then flop down on his side so I can pet him — no rubbing against my legs, ever!

He also treats my other cat in a similar way — he’ll groom Tobias and let Tobias sleep next to him, but if Tobias tries to rub up against him, Raphael will turn and walk in another direction.

What prompted this post was this — I have a tiny staircase of four steps in my apartment about 2.5 ft wide, I’m sitting on the top step using my ipad on my lap, Tobias is sitting next to me and cuddling against my side, and I just watched Raphael walk up the stairs and very carefully place his paws as he moved so that he didn’t have to touch either Tobias or me as he passed by us.

What is his deal?! What does this behavior mean?

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 15, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

zakharov posted:

Look back a few pages for my posts on this same topic. After a week or so of learning each other's boundaries my Original and New Cats have learned to play fight without actually hurting each other. It can look pretty intense but there's no growls or puffy tails so things seem ok.

My cats still growl and hiss at each other and their fights are still more intense. The original cat has been with us since she was a kitten and is a huge coward who always hides from people and other animals so she’s extremely defensive, while the new cat is territorial and possessive since she was a stray before she was brought to the shelter.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

My cats still growl and hiss at each other and their fights are still more intense. The original cat has been with us since she was a kitten and is a huge coward who always hides from people and other animals so she’s extremely defensive, while the new cat is territorial and possessive since she was a stray before she was brought to the shelter.

We had the same issue but eventually they figured each other out. When tails got puffy we gave a sharp clap to break up the tussle, and if it kept happening we put New Cat back in her "home base" room to let her cool down.

Every cat is different but we did see the progression from "I HATE YOU" to "hey buddy let's wrestle."

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zakharov posted:

Every day I am thankful that my cats don't demand to share my bed because I'd never sleep.

I got lucky and both of my cats will share the bed to snuggle and not gently caress around. Binx will lay at my feet on the corner and Salem always sleeps between our heads every night.

We had to upgrade from a queen mattress to a king, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's basically a coinflip whether Mel wants to sleep in my bed at night or not. Even when she does though, it usually takes her a half hour or so to decide she's bored of staring out the window and curl up against me, so I only notice it if I have insomnia. She's nice about it though. No swiping or such, she just curls up and sometimes uses me as a surface to groom herself against. If I sleep in late and she gets real hungry, sometimes I'll wake up to find her gently kneading me with a blurry eyed look on her face :3:

Of course once my alarm goes off all bets are off. She knows alarm sound means human should be up now, and if I dare to hit snooze and try to lay back down she's all over me licking and loudly meowing until I capitulate.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I know that feel. Mine now wakes me up like 10 minutes before my alarm goes off.

Weird question, But I have 2 cats. I play with them every day. but only one of them rubs herself on me whenever I come home. the other will just meow to get my attention.
Is it because the other one has marked me?

They both sleep on/next to me.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Sefal posted:

I know that feel. Mine now wakes me up like 10 minutes before my alarm goes off.

Mine (a former stray) does the same thing, and then immediately flips down either next to my head for attention, or rubs against my feet knowing that rubbing against my feet is a sure-fire way to make sure I’m awake. This usually attracts the attention of my roommate’s cat who gets jealous, and soon after the wrasslin’ starts.

That’s not counting the jealousy I get from them both when the stray I’ve been courting for the last few months decides to rub against my legs in the afternoon after work. With as much as said stray rubs against my legs/the two indoor ones wanting pets before I leave in the mornings, I’d imagine the smells all make sense to the three of them. It’s just a matter of coaxing the stray to come up to my back porch more than once a season and then the physical introductions....

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Our cat usually wanders over at some point to cuddle up in between us, but gets cranky when we move in our sleep too much and moves to the window. Mornings depend on how early they are, she's adjusted to our weekday rhythm fine but she did punch me in the face once while I was slowly blinking awake on the weekend. Little bitch.

Recently she's been crawling under the covers when we lift them, real cozy but gotta watch any moving limbs because then it's play-time in the dark.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Len posted:

The face clawing is recent only in the last few months and I don't understand why. He used to just lay at my feet and swat them when I got too close. But now he demands attention in the middle of the night
If you aren't already, have you considered learning the delicate art of trimming your cat's claws? We trim off the very tips once every 1-2 weeks (use proper claw trimmers, not nail clippers). It can make a huge difference while you're trying to train your cat not to do that.

Rabbit Hill posted:

What prompted this post was this — I have a tiny staircase of four steps in my apartment about 2.5 ft wide, I’m sitting on the top step using my ipad on my lap, Tobias is sitting next to me and cuddling against my side, and I just watched Raphael walk up the stairs and very carefully place his paws as he moved so that he didn’t have to touch either Tobias or me as he passed by us.

My guess is one of two things.

First, cats supposedly have a very strong associative memory. Maybe somewhere in his past, he associated rubbing against things with something bad happening. Some of these associations can be pretty random, so it's hard to say if he was ever actually punished for it. He probably doesn't remember exactly what happened, just that he didn't like it.

Second, cats can develop obsessive habits that border on neuroses. Sometimes it's in response to a medical issue (like maybe there's a spot on his skin that's hyper-sensitive and he doesn't like how that feels), but sometimes it seems totally random (like cats who overgroom for behavioral reasons, where there isn't a medical explanation but they apparently just feel better when they yank out their fur). Who knows, maybe at some point he invented the cat equivalent of "the floor is lava" and it just became ingrained as normal life.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Speaking to the associative memory of cats, our Kitty One Ear loved to play with a feather chaser toy and got really bitey with it. Then, he got a very bad toothache he refused to play with his formerly favorite toy after biting it hurt him.

After we got his teeth fixed he was actually afraid of his feather toy and would run away from it. :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Rabbit Hill posted:

I saw multiple people discussing how their dogs would go through doorways backwards the other day, I think you just have to accept that animals might have a personality quirk or two.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Grumpy cat died.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Cat jail update: kitties were playing through the bars today and there was no hissing or growling. :3:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just noticed that this page has over a dozen posts on it, yet there have not been ANY pictures of cats posted on it!

I just so happened to catch Jackie re-charging her batteries in the sun this morning looking adorable. And yes, her undercoat and belly fur really are as soft and plentiful and downy as it looks in this picture :3: Jackie's always had a ridiculously nice coat all the time; she is quite proficient at cleaning and does it daily but never overdoes it - in 9 years she has had 1 single hairball, which was like 6 or 7 years ago.

Jackie does look a bit fat here still, I know, but bear in mind that she is laying on her side and trying to make her body as big as she can and spread out as much as she can to get MAX sun exposure! And I think people who have watched Jackie over the years probably notice that she's really getting close to achieving what her proper size should be! She's maybe 12.5 pounds now, and if she gets thing to 10 or even just 11 it would fantastic.. That's still big but she is honestly a very big cat! I mean, look at her face and the size of her snout - only bigger cats have snouts that prominent.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 18, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's my loving blanket. I'm cold :(

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

It's her blanket now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

'Sup dudes

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Glad she's comfy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This poo poo is my favorite. When cats sit like people. My younger guy will lounge on his side/back with us in bed as he lazily licks his belly and it makes me laugh every time.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 20, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Took my cats to the vet today to get their vaccinations up to date so I can start introducing them to my new puppy.

Salem has never been so angry in his life. Gonna have to come back with him with some anxiety meds. He was taking swipes left and right like nobody’s business!

It’s weird because he’s our most outgoing cat, usually the first person to make friends with any guests at our house.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

This poo poo is my favorite. When cats sit like people. My younger guy will lounge on his side/back with us in bed as he lazily licks his belly and it makes me laugh every time.

Yeah this is how our Boo is. He doesn't know how to lay on my lap like a cat when I'm on the computer.

He'll lay back like this for like an hour.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

If we are sharing bros chilling, here are mine:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Not quite bros, but I'll take it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Boogalo posted:

Not quite bros, but I'll take it.

Considering how they were, this is definitely bros.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

I love it when my cats sleep on their backs. My favorite is when Magnolia does it because she actually likes belly rubs.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

I love it when my cats sleep on their backs. My favorite is when Magnolia does it because she actually likes belly rubs.

Even though our two kitties barely tolerate each other, I feel like a lottery winner because they both absolutely loving adore belly rubs.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
my cat took three attempts before she was willing to get off my lap to let me make breakfast this morning

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I took over my cat when she was like 9 years old and I think her previous owner never gave her belly rubs. I started doing it and she loves it but she can't lay on her back so she rolls from left to right over and over again to signal that she wants a belly rub.

If she's in my lap she will get on her back with the head hanging off one side and the rear paws on the other. Hanging like a huge banana and using my lap for leverage to stay on her back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine works at a vet and they have an adorable tripod cat up for adoption and I would take her in a heartbeat if I could have a third in my apartment

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I'm planning on adopting a cat soon. Any suggestions for things I can get for my place before I go to the shelter? It's a one bedroom apartment so not the most space but I'm planning on getting a small cat tree, a scratching post, and a scratching pad or two for them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
1. Litterbox + litter, you won't know if your cat is picky about litter until you actually have them so if you want to be sure they'll use the box, ask the shelter what brand they use.

2. Food and water bowls + food. Again, if you want to make sure the cat eats with no fuss start with whatever the shelter is feeding them, even if it's a not-that-great dry, and then try to introduce better food after a few weeks and your cat has gotten comfortable.

3. Treats also, lots of treats. Treats are your friend in regards to reinforcing good behavior and making the cat feel comfortable. I use greenies but there are tons of options.

4. Make sure there's a place to hide. Cats get very stressed in new environments, and when they're stressed they hide. You don't necessarily have to buy something for this, just make sure you have a small, dark space that will be visible to the cat when you open their carrier so they can bolt to it.

5. Cat-proof the apartment if there are places/surfaces you don't want them to go. Once the initial stress has passed the cat will get curious, and that means checking every nook and cranny possible. Is their enough of a gap for them to get behind your fridge? Do you have uncovered/lightly covered food items like bread or fruit lying out on a kitchen counter? Unsecured bookshelf with large enough shelves they might try to climb it? Is there furniture you wouldn't be okay with getting scratched up? You won't be able to account for everything - cats will always surprise you with some boneheaded adventure - but try to look for obvious hazards of "what if the cat got there."

6. Get some toys, but do not spend a lot of money on expensive toys. Nothing sucks more than spending $30 on some fancy automated thing and watching your cat lose interest in it after five minutes. Get some balls, string, the feather on a stick toys, etc. Stuff that costs $1-5 and is relatively simple.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Did someone say tummy rubs?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sweetheart unilaterally hates anyone touching her tummy, which is a shame because she has such incredibly soft tummy fur. :(

(It would also be nice if we could brush her tum, because it gets kinda unruly, but again with the "I will claw and bite the poo poo out of you if you even think about it" thing)

Tummy tux tax:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cat Wings posted:

I'm planning on adopting a cat soon. Any suggestions for things I can get for my place before I go to the shelter? It's a one bedroom apartment so not the most space but I'm planning on getting a small cat tree, a scratching post, and a scratching pad or two for them.

Aside from the other helpful post, consider a food plate instead of a bowl (reduces whisker fatigue) and a water fountain, the rare cat gadget that's actually worth it.

If you have a room you can close off and keep your new cat in for a few days, even a bathroom (with a hiding spot) that will help a lot. I'm on mobile but there are many good guides online for slowly introducing a cat to their new home.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

zakharov posted:

Aside from the other helpful post, consider a food plate instead of a bowl (reduces whisker fatigue) and a water fountain, the rare cat gadget that's actually worth it.

I noticed my older cat especially appreciated a plate instead of a bowl. She did tend to knock food off her plate, but I kept an eye at thrift stores and found a sloped plate / large shallow bowl that has worked well for containment while still giving her plenty of whisker room. If you go thrift it was also way cheaper than those ceramic bowls in pet stores.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Seconding the fountain--easier to clean, more water than a bowl so less worry about them running out, and some cats drink more water because the moving water reminds them water is a thing and hey I'm thirsty.

Old cardboard boxes are now cat toys.

N-thing dont spend a lot on toys, but do get multiple scratchers of different textures and set them around the home. You can swap them all to same type as you learn what texture your cat likes scratching most. One of my cats only likes siskel rope; the other loves cardboard scratchers best.

Grab some wire protectors if you think the cat will try to chew on them at all.

ETA- Get a carrier if you haven't , and start acclimating them to it ASAP. I feed both my boys in their respective crates with door shut and leave the crates out and open as hidey holes. Lucky still screams if we go outside with him in it, but they both tolerate their crates and hide in them at the vet without much fuss.

felgs fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah and sometimes the simplest thing can be a toy.
I crumbled a paper and she couldn't stop playing with it