Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

tl;dr. took a NAP instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

This happened for sure, 100%

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pochoclo posted:

This happened for sure, 100%

I went to Greece in February and hung out with a local anarchist friend. I got to watch the expressions on their face as they read greece.txt.

FWIW, another local anarchist had asked around the scene at the time (2015), and couldn't find anyone who knew about this one.

So, probably fiction. But goddamn, it's pitch perfect.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kick the poo poo out of ancap morons all day erry day imo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

I went to Greece in February and hung out with a local anarchist friend. I got to watch the expressions on their face as they read greece.txt.

FWIW, another local anarchist had asked around the scene at the time (2015), and couldn't find anyone who knew about this one.

I first read this story in yospos. Think about it prolly every week and it makes me smile every time

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hmmmm betweeen that and the sovcit getting tazed I could just sustain myself forever

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

divabot posted:

It's funny because it's a guy trying to make up a fantasy of what amounts to reasonable_hitler.jpeg with ancap, except for anyone who isn't a brainworm infested mess, it reads as some good lads kicking a "just asking questions" fascist out and I'd say even in the fiction they were super reasonable and polite, I'm not sure I could have kept that level of composure with someone literally saying "the poor are subhuman"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Then he called me a fascist again, and someone else said I was a fascist. And then they basically all started shouting fascist at me, and one of them grabbed me by the wrists. They pulled me out the door, it was up three floors, and basically drug me down the stairs on my back. It hurt really bad and I remember yelling “you’re breaking the NAP” and things like that. “Stop initiating force against me.” Then they kicked me around on the ground in the hallway, before they took my camera and threw me outside. I was crying and stuff, I just sat there. I was in shock because it was so sudden. Looking back there were warning signs though.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Khorne posted:

also the murder in the jungle guy

and the beating the poo poo out of someone on camera guy

and the doing bath salts and going insane guy

and the bitcoin guy

and the lived with seven women guy

and the eat my own dick if it's not a million per coin by 2020 guy

and the ran a drug operation in a foreign country and fled guy

and the consensual whale loving guy

I know I'm late, but he is also the "drugged and raped his lab worker when she said she wanted to leave Belize" guy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-mcafee-accused-of-rape-and-murder-in-explosive-new-doc

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Excelzior posted:

hmmmm betweeen that and the sovcit getting tazed I could just sustain myself forever

i have rarely felt as statist as I did watching the sovcit getting tazed

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

States are actually cool, and good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

divabot posted:

i have rarely felt as statist as I did watching the sovcit getting tazed
It's some of the purist, most guiltless schadenfreude I've ever encountered

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Back to the Bitstamp/Bitmex thing, if that actually paid off for whoever was responsible, how do you eliminate that exploit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Regulation and other such cursewords

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
The exploit is also less exploitable in real markets where the entire volume isn't entirely made up of wash trading. If there's an actual market, $40M will have little effect.

That's also why penny stock spams were a thing for a while 15 years ago: no real market, so scammers were doing the exact same thing (though strictly speaking more pump-and-dumps) until they were stopped by the FTC.

What I am saying is, Bitcoin is once again nothing but a reinvention of scams of real financial markets past.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

twerking on the railroad posted:

I know I'm late, but he is also the "drugged and raped his lab worker when she said she wanted to leave Belize" guy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-mcafee-accused-of-rape-and-murder-in-explosive-new-doc

Everything you never wanted to know about John McAffee, one of the worst people in all of history:
Part One Part Two

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

klafbang posted:

The exploit is also less exploitable in real markets where the entire volume isn't entirely made up of wash trading. If there's an actual market, $40M will have little effect.

That's also why penny stock spams were a thing for a while 15 years ago: no real market, so scammers were doing the exact same thing (though strictly speaking more pump-and-dumps) until they were stopped by the FTC.

What I am saying is, Bitcoin is once again nothing but a reinvention of scams of real financial markets past.

yeah, I'm pretty sure it's hopeless - as long as it costs less to fiddle a bet than you can make from the bet, this is gonna keep happening.

I wrote an explainer, aimed at normal people. Please ask questions, including "dumb" ones - I really wanna make this work for normal humans wondering WTF is going on here.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh, number coming down again. Lemme know when it's 3k again.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh, number coming down again. Lemme know when it's 3k again.
You cursed it. Number went up again. This is all your fault.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Woops.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Seriously, though. Why is the # going up?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

All the longs took a dump, now they're emptying out their shorts.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what, onto a glass table? or through a specially designed Corrupt Hammock?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

https://twitter.com/whalecalls/status/1129931343838814208

massive price pump from 02:00 UTC this morning

literally as I described the process

that's a $770m position that got liquidated - though margin on OKEx is like 10x or 20x, so it was probably $35m or $70m they actually lost

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like Bitcoin is the Quickening but for scammers

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I follow McAfee on Twitter because there's a better than average chance he will Livestream himself going down in a hail of bullets. Mainly he's just shilling for dumbshit coins which I imagine is his primary source of income.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Crypto Briefing: US Copyright Office: Craig Wright Authored Bitcoin White Paper And Is
Satoshi Nakamoto.

https://cryptobriefing-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/cryptobriefing.com/us-grants-craig-wright-copyright-on-original-bitcoin-whitepaper/?amp

Doesn't confirm that he is, but lying is legally actionable now.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

There Bias Two posted:

Crypto Briefing: US Copyright Office: Craig Wright Authored Bitcoin White Paper And Is
Satoshi Nakamoto.

https://cryptobriefing-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/cryptobriefing.com/us-grants-craig-wright-copyright-on-original-bitcoin-whitepaper/?amp

Doesn't confirm that he is, but lying is legally actionable now.

Probably isn't actually. I wrote up this bold move because of course I did.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Literally no one believes him, he should stop embarrassing himself.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is he not worried about risking his safety?

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
In theoretical terms, how much is Satoshi's hoard of coins worth?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
$0

(~40B at "market value" if its 5 million coins, i forget the total number)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
too bad he got scared and deleted them all when one of his collaborators went to give a tech talk at the CIA

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Wasn't it just 5k coins recently that cause the ~value~ to go down like 2k/coin? Imagine dumping just 50k coins.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Craig

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

good to see "Dr." Craig S. "Dr. Craig "S." Wright" Wright keeping the bitcoin spirit alive with misdirection, questionable paperwork, and outright lies.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm waiting for someone to catch up on him deliberately pumping and dumping his own coin during this copyright claim. Anyway, he doesn't even get the copyright. https://www.coindesk.com/us-copyright-office-says-it-does-not-recognize-craig-wright-as-satoshi. I can't remember the last time the copyright office had to put out a statement of "that's not how it works"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm waiting for someone to catch up on him deliberately pumping and dumping his own coin during this copyright claim. Anyway, he doesn't even get the copyright. https://www.coindesk.com/us-copyright-office-says-it-does-not-recognize-craig-wright-as-satoshi. I can't remember the last time the copyright office had to put out a statement of "that's not how it works"

yeah, if I'm super bored I'll bother dredging the exchanges ... I'm not that bored

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So why has the price gone up to 8500? What horribly illegal poo poo spurred growth this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is it that people are trying to get rid of their tether? Or is that super old news and I'm behind the times?