Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ok, I've googled this once a year for like a decade now, and have never found an answer. Every year, independent of my regular refund, I receive a check from the us treasury for exactly 1 dollar. The only explanation is the memo area which reads the first 4 letters of my last name, Kansas (I live in Illinois), a date, generally December of the previous year, and then Tax Refund 30.

This year they sent me 2, one dated 12/2005.

What is happening, money goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Ok, I've googled this once a year for like a decade now, and have never found an answer. Every year, independent of my regular refund, I receive a check from the us treasury for exactly 1 dollar. The only explanation is the memo area which reads the first 4 letters of my last name, Kansas (I live in Illinois), a date, generally December of the previous year, and then Tax Refund 30.

My car makes a weird noise when the RPMs are around 4,000 and the temperature is 47 degrees, what's going on car goons?

No idea without digging through years of data is what I'm getting at.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Slugworth posted:

Pulling your transcript from the IRS website may give a clue (find the $1 items and see what they're called), but you'll likely need a professional to really interpret what's going on.

I suppose you could call the IRS call-in line and see what they think of your transcript. If they don't know you could even contact TAS, but they're really more for resolving serious issues.

Or that could all be a can of worms not worth opening (personally my curiosity would get the better of me, though).

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Slugworth posted:

Have you ever cashed/deposited it? Could just be somewhere back there you were owe $1 and since you don't cash/deposit it they keep sending that same dollar.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
I have a question in a similar vein.

This might seem like an incredibly silly and inconsequential thing to care about, but has anyone ever gotten a few dollars more in their tax return then they were expecting? If so, do you know why?

I used the FreeTaxUSA low-income online tax filer, went through all the motions and got a projected return of $419. I was happy with this and so sent it in.

Fast forward to today and I got a check in the mail from the Treasury for $423. I'm not super sure where the 4 extra dollars came from.

Like I said, it's not super important, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

CourtFundedPoster fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 1, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
That's probably interest? Did it take a while to get your refund?

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

sullat posted:

That's probably interest? Did it take a while to get your refund?

I don't think it took especially long. When I filled with the service it said that it would take about four weeks to process and have the check sent by mail. I got the return today and it has been roughly 4 weeks.

The thing is I had a pretty boilerplate return. Just income from a job, some extra money from FAFSA declared as income, and like $15 from jury duty. The only income I had from last year was excess FAFSA which didn't result in a refund so I don't think it's from last year either.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

AbbiTheDog posted:

My car makes a weird noise when the RPMs are around 4,000 and the temperature is 47 degrees, what's going on car goons?

No idea without digging through years of data is what I'm getting at.
Totally fair, I was just hoping maybe this was one of those easily diagnosable weird noises.

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Have you ever cashed/deposited it? Could just be somewhere back there you were owe $1 and since you don't cash/deposit it they keep sending that same dollar.
I could have believed this right up until this year when they sent me two 1 dollar checks the same day.

incogneato posted:

Pulling your transcript from the IRS website may give a clue (find the $1 items and see what they're called), but you'll likely need a professional to really interpret what's going on.

I suppose you could call the IRS call-in line and see what they think of your transcript. If they don't know you could even contact TAS, but they're really more for resolving serious issues.

Or that could all be a can of worms not worth opening (personally my curiosity would get the better of me, though).
Thanks for the info. Sort of leaning towards the "not worth opening" direction, but if I find myself with an abundance of free time, I appreciate knowing where to start the search.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Worst comes to worst, they'll just ask you to pay it back with interest.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

fidelity less than half an hour ago send me an email saying my tax forms are ready....

i had assumed that because i didn't get any emails from them i didn't have any tax forms for them (my ira accounts are on fidelity). but searching on the web it seems like fidelity has been consistently sending out forms in late march or so.. it's may 7th now so i would say this is definitely very late.

i'm not sure exactly what to do. i used turbotax to file my taxes this year. do i have to go back into that to submit an amendment or do i have to manually submit a 1040x? does fidelity have any liability on this? i'm honestly confused why they are literally sending me an email now with no explanation of why they sent it to me so late...

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What forms are they? IRAs and HSAs don't get sent out until late because you are allowed to make prior year deposits up until tax day. In other words, for the first 3.5 months in 2019, you can make contributions to IRA and HSAs and elect to have it taxed as though it was a 2018 contribution.

I think there are other types of accounts that get this sort of treatment as well.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

fidelity less than half an hour ago send me an email saying my tax forms are ready....

i had assumed that because i didn't get any emails from them i didn't have any tax forms for them (my ira accounts are on fidelity). but searching on the web it seems like fidelity has been consistently sending out forms in late march or so.. it's may 7th now so i would say this is definitely very late.

i'm not sure exactly what to do. i used turbotax to file my taxes this year. do i have to go back into that to submit an amendment or do i have to manually submit a 1040x? does fidelity have any liability on this? i'm honestly confused why they are literally sending me an email now with no explanation of why they sent it to me so late...

It's probably form 5498, they're issued in May. Tells the IRS what kind of account it is (IRA/Roth/etc.), if you need to take a RMD, how much went into the account during the past year, and how much is currently in there.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DaveSauce posted:

What forms are they? IRAs and HSAs don't get sent out until late because you are allowed to make prior year deposits up until tax day. In other words, for the first 3.5 months in 2019, you can make contributions to IRA and HSAs and elect to have it taxed as though it was a 2018 contribution.

I think there are other types of accounts that get this sort of treatment as well.

AbbiTheDog posted:

It's probably form 5498, they're issued in May. Tells the IRS what kind of account it is (IRA/Roth/etc.), if you need to take a RMD, how much went into the account during the past year, and how much is currently in there.

thanks. yeah that is what it is. i was busy most of the work day, forgot about it until i got back home and realized i submitted money into my ira in march so yeah thats why i have that. was freaking out because they just kinda nonchalantly emailed it over with no reasoning why they were 'late'

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

thanks. yeah that is what it is. i was busy most of the work day, forgot about it until i got back home and realized i submitted money into my ira in march so yeah thats why i have that. was freaking out because they just kinda nonchalantly emailed it over with no reasoning why they were 'late'

Technically it's not late - you have until April 15th to make IRA contributions and have it count for the prior year, so your IRA administrator can't really send out the 5498 before May since they don't know if you're doing to throw more money in there after December 31st.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Double checking: from my understanding, inheritance from an estate is not taxed at all, correct? Nothing federal, state, etc? And that includes life insurance policies as well? My wife lost her mom/dad in the past year and the estate is beginning to be settled out. How does this get reported to the IRS?

Obviously under the Estate tax limit.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
What state? I think state's have different limits.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Estate is in Ohio, we're in PA.

Edit: looks like Ohio/PA don't have estate taxes, but pa has an inheritance tax. Does it still apply if the estate is in Ohio but we live in PA?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 10, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Estate is in Ohio, we're in PA.

Edit: looks like Ohio/PA don't have estate taxes, but pa has an inheritance tax. Does it still apply if the estate is in Ohio but we live in PA?

Do I need to PM you my CPAs contact info?

Seriously dude.....this is not internet advice. You need a real CPA for your poo poo.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Residency Evil posted:

Double checking: from my understanding, inheritance from an estate is not taxed at all, correct? Nothing federal, state, etc? And that includes life insurance policies as well? My wife lost her mom/dad in the past year and the estate is beginning to be settled out. How does this get reported to the IRS?

Obviously under the Estate tax limit.
Generally correct, but estates do have to pay tax on their income. You need a CPA

Motronic posted:

Seriously dude.....this is not internet advice. You need a real CPA for your poo poo.
For what it's worth, most of the CPA's I work with who have semi-complicated returns (rental properties, multi participant trusts or LLC's, strange forms of investments, etc.) use CPA's for their own taxes, because we specialize in things vastly different than tax. It's cheaper for my coworkers to keep their own records and send it off quarterly/annually than to keep up to date on the nuances.

It's like having a pediatrician do neurosurgery or something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Our taxes aren't super complicated: just w2s and some 1099s. It looks like PA has an inheritance tax of 4.5%, but it's unclear if that's only for estates in PA or for any resident of PA, even if the estate isn't there. Happy to take their contact info though!

Edit good news!: https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692/related/1
https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1403/related/1
https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1271/related/1

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 11, 2019

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I was made the de facto payroll manager at the small office I work at despite never having anything to do with it.

There's no health insurance, but a couple people negotiated "some un-taxed money every paycheck to count towards health insurance"

One of them is already set up on the payroll website, but it's listed under deductions as a negative advance. So in addition to her regular pay, there's like -3,000 YTD in the deductions section under advance. That seems.... wrong.
She has been here a couple years, so I asked her how that works out on her taxes and she said she "has a tax guy that I give that stuff to"

So what's the proper way to handle this? It's money on top of their salary, so should I just bump up their salary by that amount and then have the pre-tax medical deduction take it back out?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Simpsons Reference posted:

I was made the de facto payroll manager at the small office I work at despite never having anything to do with it.

There's no health insurance, but a couple people negotiated "some un-taxed money every paycheck to count towards health insurance"

One of them is already set up on the payroll website, but it's listed under deductions as a negative advance. So in addition to her regular pay, there's like -3,000 YTD in the deductions section under advance. That seems.... wrong.
She has been here a couple years, so I asked her how that works out on her taxes and she said she "has a tax guy that I give that stuff to"

So what's the proper way to handle this? It's money on top of their salary, so should I just bump up their salary by that amount and then have the pre-tax medical deduction take it back out?

I dont think you can offer a hra without offering a group health insurance plan under the ACA. That should be straight wages.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I dont think you can offer a hra without offering a group health insurance plan under the ACA. That should be straight wages.

You can do a QSEHRA without group insurance if you're a small employer, but that has to be offered on the same terms to all qualifying employees, which doesn't sound like what's being done here.

cowtown fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 20, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Not sure if I should ask this here or in legal questions.

My mom passed away in 2018 and I filed her tax return for that year, signing as personal representative. She was eligible for a refund. She did not have a will and had little assets (two cars, $500 in the bank, $500ish worth of stuff).

I got a letter from the IRS (CP49) last week saying that she owed $18k on her 2010 return and that the refund had been applied to that. I don't know anything about her finances so I have no reason to believe she didn't owe that money. I definitely didn't know about it when I filed the return or got rid of her assets after she passed away. I wasn't sure from the letter whether I needed to pay that money or what. I think this is probably untaxed capital gains, since I know she cashed out her IRA at some point a few years ago (2010 I guess).

I thought the most likely thing would be that I would owe what her assets were worth (which is less than her total owed) and that somehow I would have to communicate this to the IRS, and the rest would just be left owed since her "estate" would be insolvent.

I called the IRS and they said at first that I did not need to pay anything and that there was a notice on the account indicating that no more letters would be sent. Then about 5 minutes later (after some silence while the IRS person was researching I assume), they said they weren't sure what would be owed and that I should contact a tax attorney. I have done so.

Has anyone had an experience like this before? It's difficult for me to believe either that somehow it doesn't have to be paid at all or that I, personally, would owe all of it.

e: also the letter did not have a due date for when the amount needed to be paid by

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 21, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Not sure if I should ask this here or in legal questions.

My mom passed away in 2018 and I filed her tax return for that year, signing as personal representative. She was eligible for a refund. She did not have a will and had little assets (two cars, $500 in the bank, $500ish worth of stuff).

I got a letter from the IRS (CP49) last week saying that she owed $18k on her 2010 return and that the refund had been applied to that. I don't know anything about her finances so I have no reason to believe she didn't owe that money. I definitely didn't know about it when I filed the return or got rid of her assets after she passed away. I wasn't sure from the letter whether I needed to pay that money or what. I think this is probably untaxed capital gains, since I know she cashed out her IRA at some point a few years ago (2010 I guess).

I thought the most likely thing would be that I would owe what her assets were worth (which is less than her total owed) and that somehow I would have to communicate this to the IRS, and the rest would just be left owed since her "estate" would be insolvent.

I called the IRS and they said at first that I did not need to pay anything and that there was a notice on the account indicating that no more letters would be sent. Then about 5 minutes later (after some silence while the IRS person was researching I assume), they said they weren't sure what would be owed and that I should contact a tax attorney. I have done so.

Has anyone had an experience like this before? It's difficult for me to believe either that somehow it doesn't have to be paid at all or that I, personally, would owe all of it.

e: also the letter did not have a due date for when the amount needed to be paid by

In theory you're supposed to call the collections department of the IRS so they can determine if they want to make a claim against the estate.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

sullat posted:

In theory you're supposed to call the collections department of the IRS so they can determine if they want to make a claim against the estate.

I thought that’s who I talked to (it was the number the letter told me to call if I had questions) - is there a better number?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought that’s who I talked to (it was the number the letter told me to call if I had questions) - is there a better number?

If you actually hired a tax attorney, you should be asking them these questions.

Edit: and stop contacting the IRS directly yourself until you've talked with your attorney.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

incogneato posted:

If you actually hired a tax attorney, you should be asking them these questions.

Edit: and stop contacting the IRS directly yourself until you've talked with your attorney.

At a certain point, hiring a tax attorney will cost more than it sounds like was in the estate. I'd send a letter to the IRS outlining collections department what was in the estate, a copy of the death certificate, copies of any court documents, and tell them to shove off (politely).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

AbbiTheDog posted:

At a certain point, hiring a tax attorney will cost more than it sounds like was in the estate. I'd send a letter to the IRS outlining collections department what was in the estate, a copy of the death certificate, copies of any court documents, and tell them to shove off (politely).

Definitely all true. I wasn't recommending an attorney. The IRS person who suggested hiring one was probably doing so as a matter of course, not as a comment on the complexity of the case.

OP said they already contacted one, though. If an attorney has been hired, they should use them, not the internet.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

I definitely didn't know about it when I filed the return or got rid of her assets after she passed away.

Sounds like assets were distributed out of the estate before all its debts were paid. Since it was a small estate maybe it will slide

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

incogneato posted:

If an attorney has been hired, they should use them, not the internet.

Wait a minute - you mean I can't send all these people invoices? poo poo.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

This is the standard procedure, the linked pub has phone numbers to call. Yeah, from a practical point the IRS may not bother doing anything, but it is still something that the personal rep should do.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The healthcare thread recommended I repost this here:

Ok I have a question

I'm in NY and get insurance through my employer (I have to because their cheapest lovely bronze plan is "affordable" and I'm locked out of the exchange)

BUT

I just had a revelation - am I right in thinking that I could qualify for Medicaid if I dump a large chunk of my salary into my 401k and IRA to lower my MAGI?

I have a lot in savings and could easily live off 10k or whatever in earned income with the rest going to retirement - if I did this, would I still be required to pay premiums for an employer plan? Or would the employer plan no longer be "affordable" since my reduced MAGI would render it not affordable?

tldr: can I opt out of my employer's health plan and get on medicaid if I start dumping money into my retirement funds?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Ok I have a question

I'm in NY and get insurance through my employer (I have to because their cheapest lovely bronze plan is "affordable" and I'm locked out of the exchange)

BUT

I just had a revelation - am I right in thinking that I could qualify for Medicaid if I dump a large chunk of my salary into my 401k and IRA to lower my MAGI?

I have a lot in savings and could easily live off 10k or whatever in earned income with the rest going to retirement - if I did this, would I still be required to pay premiums for an employer plan? Or would the employer plan no longer be "affordable" since my reduced MAGI would render it not affordable?

tldr: can I opt out of my employer's health plan and get on medicaid if I start dumping money into my retirement funds?

That's a Medicaid question, not a tax question.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

EugeneJ posted:

Ok I have a question

BUT

Per this at least it appears Medicaid MAGI does indeed not count things put towards retirement contributions. I would probably double check with New York's HHS to be sure though, there might be some sort of state issue I'm not aware of.

sullat posted:

That's a Medicaid question, not a tax question.

To be fair it's kind of tax related since Medicaid and the Marketplace are sort of linked now (if your income is too low Healthcare.gov applies for Medicaid for you IIRC).

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Per this at least it appears Medicaid MAGI does indeed not count things put towards retirement contributions. I would probably double check with New York's HHS to be sure though, there might be some sort of state issue I'm not aware of.

To be fair it's kind of tax related since Medicaid and the Marketplace are sort of linked now (if your income is too low Healthcare.gov applies for Medicaid for you IIRC).

Be sure to check if Medicaid has asset limits on your state. Even if you income qualify, assets you hold might make you ineligible.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Follow up:

I called New York State of Health and it turns out they only look at your gross income and post-tax deductions (so IRA contributions count, pretax 401k deductions do not)

I make around 30k a year and with the $6000 I put into an IRA, that will qualify me for an Essential Plan ($20/month) when open enrollment begins later this year

I am super happy as I had been putting off a surgery because of the cost, but now I'll be able to get it done on the cheap

:911:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EugeneJ posted:

Follow up:

I called New York State of Health and it turns out they only look at your gross income and post-tax deductions (so IRA contributions count, pretax 401k deductions do not)
I don't understand this. Maybe its because the caffeine hasn't saturated my blood yet. A traditional IRA is a pre-tax deduction just like a traditional 401k.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

I don't understand this. Maybe its because the caffeine hasn't saturated my blood yet. A traditional IRA is a pre-tax deduction just like a traditional 401k.

Yeah I didn't phrase that right, sorry

I meant Traditional 401k payroll deductions aren't counted by NY State of Health when calculating income - you *are* allowed to subtract Traditional IRA contributions from your gross, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'm obviously going to speak with an accountant about this, but...

I live in Aus but am a member of an LLC in the United States. I've received equity and royalties from the LLC which are taxed at 15% and 10% respectively due to the Aus-US tax treaty. (Also declaring income here).

Question is, when I do my tax return next January for the 2019 calendar year in the US, does the tax-free threshold still apply to me? Ie will I receive a refund? Or does that not apply to non-resident aliens?

Weird question, just thought someone might know.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 19, 2019