Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

cerebral posted:

When I hear the same joke over and over, at a certain point I stop laughing, after hearing it a few more times, I get annoyed. Same thing with lute playing. No one is doing anything new or creative, they're just repeating the same joke over and over again and expecting people to appreciate it. I don't. Ya basic.

Do you think every lute player is the same lute player or something? People do it because it's funny and fun. It's enjoyable. The point of the game is to enjoy playing it. You seem like you would not be a fun player to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Idc about lute or lute playing but if I even see a hammer on the lutist, you're gonna die.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody got a good midi of Bella Ciao handy? I wanna rub it in before the gamer nazi brigade gets the boot, and annoy the anti-lutists, too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Idc about lute or lute playing but if I even see a hammer on the lutist, you're gonna die.

if a lute player has an actual weapon on them, they're a spy and they need to be dealt with immediately

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqePf7kUKk
3/3/3, Executioner Sword, no perks

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 21, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does this mean you can also mod in sweet rift sounds?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

If I'm playing Lute it was because I was doing so bad I wasn't contributing anyway, so I'll just mess about playing tunes and attempting to bash anyone who's got an issue in the face with it. (While standing on the point, or advancing to the next point)

Bonus points, one time I stole a horse on Camp and just rode around playing lute on it, and it was magical. Deny the game a horse that so many people hate, lead a whole squad of enemies around who want to gank me, and play tunes for my pals. Horse/lute op

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Whenever I'm luting around I make sure to get real close to the action and if an enemy comes at me yeah I'll throw down. It's honestly not a bad distraction tactic and you'll get kills because pubbies don't expect bards to fight back.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

eech the facecam. If this is you than get rid of that lmao.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol not I, no. I know how to stage and light. Just some alpha backer.

My favorite part of the video is probably that he's not doing dumb rear end chivalry high mouse DPI 240 degree swings that I'm starting to see on duel servers a lot now. Just good ol' fashioned reading situations like a loving robot.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

My favourite duel meta is the 'always be morphin and feinting' like... instantly, at the start of every swing. Basically just poo poo ten to twenty stamina every attack for no reason since feinting so quickly does nothing for the timing than get fuckin' blown away when their sword get slapped aside.

Nobody plays the stamina game... But picture it like this, if someone misses, feints or takes a kick they're behind you and now you MUST aggress, because even if their parry game is flawless which they often can be, if you don't feint, miss or get kicked more than they did than they're gonna lose their sword.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 21, 2019

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm awful at reading feints, but I've gotten decent enough generally that the stamina game makes dueling really interesting to me. Any good ways to train feint reading outside of just fighting?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I do think archers and lutes should be capped per team. It really is frustrating to be on a team getting smashed and you look around and half the people are lute players, archers, or people practicing distance with their fists. I don't mind a bit of it,but when one team is trying and the other is just loving off, it gets a tad annoying.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

That Gobbo posted:

I'm awful at reading feints, but I've gotten decent enough generally that the stamina game makes dueling really interesting to me. Any good ways to train feint reading outside of just fighting?

Wait until you hear the grunt, that lets you know they've committed to their swing. A bit less reliable on frontline when there's 15 people around you grunting, though. Otherwise just practice practice practice, and wait until the last possible moment to parry or chamber.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

That Gobbo posted:

Its kinda a muscle memory learning thing, like at a certain spent hours they just... stop working, like most deception mechanics. The advice I'd give is if that nobody drags feints, they never do any of the things they'd normally do to land an attack, so if they start stabbing well out of range, they're gonna feint as they approach.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Unsubscribing due to the frequency and poor quality of WWE guy's posts. See y'all on Reddit.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

Unsubscribing due to the frequency and poor quality of WWE guy's posts. See y'all on Reddit.

Don't threaten us with a good time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

logged into steam and now see i am permanently banned from the mordhau.

they finally caught me and my *looks at notes* above average K:D and chat logs consisting only of "sorry!"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Join the goon server for duels. I highly recommend this.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
People get worked up over weird stuff in this game. I had a lvl 42 dude get mad at me for dueling like crap but wearing super gaudy gear. Sorry bro, I just like looking good as I die :shobon:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sounds like IRL problems bleeding into a video game. Happens all the time

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This is why I always wear my conscripted dirt farmer look outside of frontline servers.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

One of the reasons I duel is so I can look fly.

apostasy.
Feb 15, 2012
spent like 20 hours trawling duel servers for really good players to practice fighting and got to have my first win of a frontline 1v10 in the enemy spawn as a result of my new skills. game's insanely more fun when you get to go sicko mode

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Motherfucker posted:

My favourite duel meta is the 'always be morphin and feinting' like... instantly, at the start of every swing. Basically just poo poo ten to twenty stamina every attack for no reason since feinting so quickly does nothing for the timing than get fuckin' blown away when their sword get slapped aside.

Nobody plays the stamina game... But picture it like this, if someone misses, feints or takes a kick they're behind you and now you MUST aggress, because even if their parry game is flawless which they often can be, if you don't feint, miss or get kicked more than they did than they're gonna lose their sword.

Personally, it's because feints and morphs are the only things that let me land hits consistently. Probably because I'm not doing the drags properly.
Looking at that video of the exe sword guy though he's mostly just draggin' everywhere and only rarely spending stamina on feints. Guess I should practice.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think the war axe has clicked for me. The trick is to just not give a gently caress and wade into a brawl swinging for the fences. If you happen to kill a teammate then that just means they shouldn't have been in the way. :black101:

Also people constantly gently caress up the timing on parrying the maul due to how slow it is. These two are definitely my favorite 'big' weapons.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've been using the pole axe more often because it's a real solid well rounded weapon once you get used to the fact it's almost, but not quite, as long as you'd expect it to be.

The actual biggest flaw of the pole axe is "Seven different heads to buy. All boring things you can barely see anyways" cosmetics.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Personally, it's because feints and morphs are the only things that let me land hits consistently. Probably because I'm not doing the drags properly.
Looking at that video of the exe sword guy though he's mostly just draggin' everywhere and only rarely spending stamina on feints. Guess I should practice.

I don't hate feints or morphs, I use them myself but very rarely. They cost you, so its an investment. Other than that yeah, minimalist drags (there's a sweet spot for every weapon where you drag just enough to make them parry prematurely but leave them no time to move, duck, parry again, stab you back or otherwise respond), accels and the occasional short pause do more to upset your opponents rythem than predictable feints and morphs. Also remember you can accel and drag by strafing which works really well in third person. I spend a lot of my time standing on my opponents 2 and 10 facing past them so that my swings from one way come quick as gently caress and swings from the other require a maximum amount of movement to parry and take more time to arrive.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

I have been enjoying playing the stamina game with Arming Sword/Buckler :) The extra stamina there helps more than you'd think, and it's become easy to intuit when I'm about to knock the weapon out of somebody's hand. Second wind, which gives stamina on hit also helps a great deal in winning the stamina game and makes up for the fact that I'm one of those habitual morph/feinters! The more skilled players realize that draining them of every drop of stamina is one of my goals, which usually leads to them trying to back up out of my range. The crucifix dagger in my tertiary slot makes a wonderful projectile! I've been practicing braining people with it when they start to retreat, and it's delightful to catch people off guard and land it right between the eyes. You can also switch to a new weapon (and parry) virtually immediately after being disarmed, so even if my little sword gets batted out of my hands, I can still lay down some stabs.

Avynte posted:

People get worked up over weird stuff in this game. I had a lvl 42 dude get mad at me for dueling like crap but wearing super gaudy gear. Sorry bro, I just like looking good as I die :shobon:

I sort of had the reverse experience, I got laid out flat by a dude that was dressed up in the cheapest, least-impressive custom gear and ended up being high rank! He said he just didn't really care about customization, but the devious implications are clear - if you get really tough, dress like you're not! Wizard law.

Babe Magnet posted:

every single duelist over 30 wears the same lame rear end hood + t3 helmet longrobe with black and red and blue and black anyway, let your freak flag fly.

Too true. That hood+helmet combo is about as overused as the maul, I've been trying to diversify my outfits as much as possible! Mix it up with different skirt (sorry, WAIST) lengths, try to get different profiles and have a bunch of different color palettes. My 2h classes usually follow a green/teal and white combo, but I've been a black/yellow striped bumblebee with my arming sword and buckler :q: I also really like the bronze/copper metal color you get at 40. It looks super nice and is even more prominent than the 30s gold :yayclod:

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 21, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

every single duelist over 30 wears the same lame rear end hood + t3 helmet longrobe with black and red and blue and black anyway, let your freak flag fly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

:sweatdrop:

I like my armormans. Although I want the wedge armet for a helmet later.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 21, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol I'm more harping on the first part combined with the second part. You never see hood guys with like mint green and yellow, it's always edgelords with flowing black robes!!

And none of them ever say "gf" or "good fight" either!!!

The wedge is a good rear end helmet. i love the unvisored one for a t2

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

lol I'm more harping on the first part combined with the second part. You never see hood guys with like mint green and yellow, it's always edgelords with flowing black robes!!

And none of them ever say "gf" or "good fight" either!!!

The wedge is a good rear end helmet. i love the unvisored one for a t2

This game is, unsurprisingly to anyone, packed to the brim with the kind of edgelord you're describing! The lack of taste is immense. I almost want them to incorporate some kind of godawful skull helmet or really tacky sword just so it's even easier to know who to snicker at. I honestly feel the longsword's unique skin is kind of gaudy in this way (spear too, kind of. Not bastard sword, which is awesome and great.) :( Not kit rae levels of bad, but not nearly as nice looking as the other weapons on offer. I really wish the color selection palette in general was expanded, metal and cloth colors included. You can have gold armor at 110 and really black armor at 70, but all of the other metal colors are kind of samey. I've seen some that look the tiniest bit green or blue under the right lighting, but it's super duper subtle. Maybe I'd just be satisfied by more patterns/filigrees instead!

eonwe posted:

always say good fight

even if you got dumpstered and it was a bad fight

Honestly I'm one of the people that only say it when it was either a really dope, bomb-rear end fight (in which case it usually involves other commentary), or when someone else says it first. :shobon: I don't wanna be a jerk but I also would be typing a lot! But let hell befall anybody who lets a good-spirited newbie's "gf" hang!

Motherfucker posted:

I never GF generally not because it was or wasn't a good fight but its just a token. If something noteworthy happens I'll comment on it or if I'm genuinely impressed tho.

essentially

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 21, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
always say good fight

even if you got dumpstered and it was a bad fight

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't expect one if I just juked and feinted like a bitch and die in less than 3 seconds, and I don't often feel like throwing one out if I end a match the same way because it sounds sarcastic but I'd at least like a little acknowledgement if we parry and chamber and slap at each other for a full on minute, my friend!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If the other guy doesn't say "gf" i'll assume they care as little about that etiquette rule as I do and continue not bothering with the chat
if they say it and I'm paying enough attention to the chat I'll say it back to avoid making them feel bad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like the chat because sometimes people will ask questions on how to do something and I'll be helpeful, and also sometimes people will be huge dbags and it's fun to provoke them.

Telltolin posted:

Maybe I'd just be satisfied by more patterns/filigrees instead!

yeah this would be dope

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I never GF generally not because it was or wasn't a good fight but its just a token. If something noteworthy happens I'll comment on it or if I'm genuinely impressed tho.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Telltolin posted:

This game is, unsurprisingly to anyone, packed to the brim with the kind of edgelord you're describing! The lack of taste is immense. I almost want them to incorporate some kind of godawful skull helmet or really tacky sword just so it's even easier to know who to snicker at. I honestly feel the longsword's unique skin is kind of gaudy in this way (spear too, kind of. Not bastard sword, which is awesome and great.) :( Not kit rae levels of bad, but not nearly as nice looking as the other weapons on offer. I really wish the color selection palette in general was expanded, metal and cloth colors included. You can have gold armor at 110 and really black armor at 70, but all of the other metal colors are kind of samey. I've seen some that look the tiniest bit green or blue under the right lighting, but it's super duper subtle. Maybe I'd just be satisfied by more patterns/filigrees instead!

Honestly I'm one of the people that only say it when it was either a really dope, bomb-rear end fight (in which case it usually involves other commentary), or when someone else says it first. :shobon: I don't wanna be a jerk but I also would be typing a lot! But let hell befall anybody who lets a good-spirited newbie's "gf" hang!

There's some decent variety in the metal colors but the color picker is impossible to use so you can barely figure them out. I'm usually reduced to just waving my mouse randomly over the color picker and seeing if anything looks good because it's impossible to remember which samey white square means what.

The metal colors need to be organized approximately by appearance, have names that accurately describe them, and/or have color swatches that show what they really look like.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Sword barbies? Sword barbies.

Knights are out, dirt farmer militia are the new hotness. Lots of people swinging at my legs and gettin bopped on the head for their trouble.

I AM THE LAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I only say something in chat if it was a noteworthy fight somehow, but I'll throw out a "respect" emote most of the time. Especially if I'm playing with my axe dude because the Raider voice has great respect lines, too. "LOOK AT THIS FOOKIN' LEGEND!"