Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
A few of those are a lot more my speed. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The envy is consistent with every post.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Over the past few weeks (months...) I've been debating what to do about my White 94. Looking back you can see I pulled the motor ( let's call it A) that was in it and then tore down another FD motor (B) I had in storage. I originally removed motor A thinking I hurt it. Turns out it was a bad coil pack harness. There still might be damage, but by this time I had already made the decision. The motor, B, you see me tearing down is a 2001 JDM import that came with my first FD, 12 years ago. I put 60k of hard miles - track days - drift events- and cruising. It ran when parked, but had been overheated due to failed radiator fans. I expected the worst when I tore it down. Instead I was greeted with one of the nicest cores I've torn down in ages. So with that, I tossed $3500 at my local dealer for all new parts, because why not.

Today I took the day off, headed to my friend Rob's (Pineapple Racing) and finished the work I started weeks back. I've been spending every Saturday I can up at his shop cleaning, inspecting, and prepping the motor for rebuild. What he can do in a day, it takes me 2 Saturdays. This motor is only special due to sentimental value and honestly, looking back I would have bought a new OEM core for $4500 had I any financial sense about me - but that's not why we're here. Is it? Anyways, this is a stock motor. The only mods are for reliability. I doubt I will ever see more than ~350hp from this config and that's all I want for this car.

Here's the quick parts list.
1) All new soft and hard seals. Coolant seals, O-rings, oil control trays, apex seals, springs, side seals, corner seals, etc.
2) New rotor and stationary gear bearings.
3) New rotor housings. It's worth noting that as of 04/2019 I bought the LAST front and rear housing in North America...
4) New OMP lines, thermostat, water pump, and fuel pulsation damper.

With a empty wallet and nothing but time of my hands this morning while waiting on Rob to wrap up his daily shipping, I decided to do some small detail work he usually saves for more expensive motors. The e-shaft was polished. The casting flash was removed from the front plate and oil pump. The oil passages were enlarged and re-capped. Rob had side clearanced the rotors (before I could stop him), so I re-cleaned/deburred them. Figuring I was drifting far enough from OEM, I broke out the die grinder and carbide burr once again. The primary and secondary intake ports had the casting flaws touched up and air flow path massaged to what some would consider a small street port. Note no port timing was changed. Exhaust untouched. This "should" keep the car feeling stock, while opening up a few HP.

The motor assembly went rather quick and sadly my Go-Pro was dead, so no video. Maybe next time :).

Well, now for the disappointment. You'll have to wait for the assembled photos. My phone died and Rob did not have a charger.
Oh and before anyone asks- 20B is coming soon. Waiting for our machinist to squeeze me in. No point in rushing quality work.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 16, 2019

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That's pretty cool, seems like a logical and sentimental way to handle your first FD engine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
i've been busy not posting, so excuse the dump. A few weeks back I was invited to a shop "opening" party and decided I wanted to drive my white FD there. After putting off doing any work on the car until 5 days before... I kicked my butt in gear and spent every night I could after work re-assembling the new motor and accessories. At 11PM Friday night I got the car running. After a quick test drive, I realized something was off. But thankfully it was my own fault- I tried to use a stock ECU from a 94 on a 2001 motor I altered the stock 94 harness to run. It was basically in limp mode the entire time. A reinstall of the PowerFC fixed the drivability issues and I caught 5 hours of sleep. Just in time to drive it to Cars and Coffee the next morning before the shop party. I'm amazed that I've got 77 miles of trouble free driving Saturday morning, after multiple late/sleepless nights. Oh and don't worry about the missing wiper motor... I found that today when cleaning the shop :). There's still a ton of little things, like installing a new radio and gauges. But overall I'm happy with it and I can finally start racking miles back on it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... you don't have any damaged FD front covers do you? I got it into my mind to try to cast a hybrid FD/FB front cover to get rid of the distributor style CAS.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

... you don't have any damaged FD front covers do you? I got it into my mind to try to cast a hybrid FD/FB front cover to get rid of the distributor style CAS.

Sure, have 3-4 with stripped out oil pan holes I'd happily send your way. But at the same time, I would just weld mount points onto the FD front cover and machine them flat once welded.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

the spyder posted:

Sure, have 3-4 with stripped out oil pan holes I'd happily send your way. But at the same time, I would just weld mount points onto the FD front cover and machine them flat once welded.

Well, one of those "when you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" things; I can cast aluminum but I can't weld it. ;) Also I want to start getting away from Mazda's supply chain.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

the spyder posted:

That sounds like AA... lol

Currently owned by me: 7 FD's. (I gave away the 91 vert last month)
Customer cars: 9 (Including several friends cars)

Are any of the 7 for sale? Maybe mechanically sound and needs a repaint?
I'm getting the itch to get something I lusted after as a young adult.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
You're a loving mad man and its beautiful and an inspiration. Rock on.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Every post is so cathartic. Seeing the full engine out builds and the finished project always look so well done that it seems "easy". I guess when you have done it dozens of times over that makes it easy but this is just great work.

It is hard to believe these cars are approaching three decades old. They still look timeless.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I think you should sell me those gram lights :mrgw:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

TheFonz posted:

Are any of the 7 for sale? Maybe mechanically sound and needs a repaint?
I'm getting the itch to get something I lusted after as a young adult.

I may have exactly this. The question is, do you really want a money pit in your life. Haha. I知 just about the clean up the red 93 base model I bought in the fall. It needs paint and I知 determining the health now. But it is a clean title with no sunroof and black interior. Winning combo IMO.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

track day bro! posted:

I think you should sell me those gram lights :mrgw:

They are forsale! Tires are worthless at 10yrs old.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

the spyder posted:

I may have exactly this. The question is, do you really want a money pit in your life. Haha. I知 just about the clean up the red 93 base model I bought in the fall. It needs paint and I知 determining the health now. But it is a clean title with no sunroof and black interior. Winning combo IMO.

Want? gently caress no.Have an amazingly irrational desire. Yes.

I did check ebay after I posted that and prices are like 3 times what they were when I last looked, so it might not even be in the realm of possibility anymore anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

They are forsale! Tires are worthless at 10yrs old.

What are the sizes and offsets?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

track day bro! posted:

What are the sizes and offsets?

17x7.5 and 17x8.5 with +40.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Checking this thread is a double edged sword: content dumps are awesome and bingey but always conclude in daydreams about owning an FD that get a little harder to smother every time

At least I'm reminded I'm not the only one every time someone asks after one... they're aging so well

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

17x7.5 and 17x8.5 with +40.

Here comes the comedy, how much and would you consider shipping them to the uk.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

thechalkoutline posted:

Checking this thread is a double edged sword: content dumps are awesome and bingey but always conclude in daydreams about owning an FD that get a little harder to smother every time

At least I'm reminded I'm not the only one every time someone asks after one... they're aging so well

I have lusted over an FD for more than a decade. I have joked (with heavy amounts of truth) that when life gets too easy I will own a turbo powered rotary. It will have to happen one day.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I知 with you on the turbo rotary. I hope to have mine boosted eventually. Kinda sorta needs to be at least running first, though.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Near my parents house there's a blue fd propped up on a wood pile, it hasn't moved in about 15 years.

When the day comes that I have too much time and enough money, I'm walking up to their door with 5k in cash.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Holy loving clean, batman. :swoon:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Pure uncut perfection.

Absolutely :perfect:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Can I have that please :swoon:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
That legend needs to do some Skyline runs.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks guys. I still have a small list of work to do, but it痴 95% there as far as the mods I want. I知 still torn on fender marker lights to complete the JDM look. So far I知 digging the clean lines. With this done I知 going to knock out a few projects, then restart the 20b build.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Man I have to imagine that would be worth some big bucks on bring a trailer / the right person. Gorgeous.

e: You should get some professional pictures of that and get some prints or something

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
A wild Spyder has appeared!

Please don't ever stop posting. I just re-read theough all sixty pages... It's like an addiction 😂

Condimentalist fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 5, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Jesus goddamn christ on the cross.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Woah!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That sent me running to craigslist...which I really shouldn't have done:

The 2 FD's on there weren't much better......

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, yeah, FCs are currently getting trashed by drift idiots like every 240SX has already been.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
*Insert random excuses why I知 not posting updates. *

In other news today I bought a turbo and I can't stop smiling.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

the spyder posted:

*Insert random excuses why I知 not posting updates. *

In other news today I bought a turbo and I can't stop smiling.

Phwoar :swoon:

I知 making turbo noises. I love that the turbocharger is nearly as big as the rotor housing!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

:suspense:

So yeah, Portland area goon meet? You might want to stock up on shop towels.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
*Looks at 1st picture* Oh neat a cool Garrett Turbo

*Looks at rest of pictures* Oh holy shiiiiit...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I can hear the pewpewpewpew of the blowoff valve already. :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Duck call BOV when