Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

AirRaid posted:

I found every ark without looking up anything. The game literally tells you how to find the arks after you visit the first one you find in the open world.

Not the games fault if you mash past every pop up message it gives you.

It’s weird because this game has a lot of genuine problems, but half the complaints in this thread are stuff which is really not an issue and there are mechanics in game to deal with.

The slow drudge at the start until you have some equipment though, that is an issue. I started a new game last night for kicks and wow it’s a slog to start out. Amazing how much quicker the intro is when you’re just mashing past the cutscenes though.

it's vague about telling you them and I don't remember there ever being a pop up that tells you where they are. I didn't even find out it had descriptions of locations until way later because the others are greyed out, so why would you attempt to select them in the menu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Diabetes Forecast posted:

it's vague about telling you them and I don't remember there ever being a pop up that tells you where they are. I didn't even find out it had descriptions of locations until way later because the others are greyed out, so why would you attempt to select them in the menu?

When you exit the first Ark (it’s been Junkers Pass for me both times since that’s closest to Vineland), literally as you step out of the door, the game pauses and tells you to hold focus in the open world and look for the colourful “pillars” of nanotrites in the sky which mark the location of active arks. If you do this right away, you see the two closest to you (the two already marked on the map when you leave Vineland) which gives you a good idea of what it looks like and how far away it means they are. You need nothing else to find every single ark on the map.

It’s pretty drat clear in both the instructions and world design to demonstrate this. :shrug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How do I get my car back after I get insta-roadkilled by sudden cars on the road

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Zzulu posted:

How do I get my car back after I get insta-roadkilled by sudden cars on the road

You've got two ways: If you open your weapon wheel you can click in the left stick to always get the Phoenix back for 10 bucks.

Or you can go to the vehicles tab and select any vehicle you've unlocked to appear for a variety of prices.

Note you can't do this too near enemies I believe. If it says the option isn't available just walk aways a way or find some open space.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 22, 2019

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Fully upgraded the fusion cannon gun will tear through anything. Titans? They never get a chance to attack. Last boss? Pathetic. Regular bullshit enemies? Er, us the AR and Smash with the void perk.

Even fully upgraded the shotgun lacks punch and it felt faster to kill things with the AR. One of the shotgun upgrades should have been to make it full auto.
Fully upgraded I found the pistol to only be a little weaker then the AR and that's only because it's clip is so tiny.
The Grav Dart seemed interesting, but I got it really late and was losing patience with the game.
The Railgun is a sniper rifle in a game that trys to actively dissuade you from doing stealth/sniper poo poo. But it's great for the sentries that you don't need to do.
The rocket launcher is great until you get the fusion cannon, but it's multishot takes way to long to lock on to multiple targets and then does really lackluster damage even against a single target.
The Fire Pistol is a really neat idea but then it does surprisingly little damage. I didn't upgrade it at all, so maybe it's cool once it's all geared up.

I think the issues is more with balance. If you play on Hard or Nightmare the mobs are so bullet spongy that all the guns feel pretty weak when you first get them. And by the time you get anything new you've probably already upgraded the AR so unless you feel like wasting a bunch of upgrade junk on an unknown gun that seems to suck right out of the gate, then you will just stick with whats working. Maybe on Normal the Fire Pistol would kill things as soon as you get it, but on hard I dumped a full clip into an unarmored mook and snapped my fingers only to have him scream for a little bit then start shooting again.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

AirRaid posted:

And here we have a prime example of the person who plays with the first three weapons, doesn’t explore the upgrades then claims the game is dull. :golfclap:

I did not say the game was dull. I said I struggled to find scenarios where most of the arsenal would be more useful than the standard 3 weapons. All of my weapons are upgraded to 3+ and I use most of them during combat. I will try to play around with them more now that I have finished the story.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can you change the difficulty mid-game? Because I don't want bullet sponges, but it sounds like the game's boringly easy below Hard.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mordja posted:

Can you change the difficulty mid-game? Because I don't want bullet sponges, but it sounds like the game's boringly easy below Hard.
You can. The map is divided up by difficulty, from 1 to 10. Each base and activity has its own difficulty number, you can choose to go against high level guys or one shot a bunch of bases lower than you. It's a rough guide but it does make a difference.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, thanks for the info.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

For clarity, yes you can also change the game difficulty in the settings at any time.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Reminder that all of this is in the op

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

If people don't have time to read 2 lines of text in game they're not gonna read the OP :v:

Also if anyone was curious (I know no-one was) there are 9 unlockable skins for the Chazcar, including the basic one you get for doing the main mission race. You unlock one per race win after that.

e: Anyone wanna buy some feltrite

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AirRaid posted:

If people don't have time to read 2 lines of text in game they're not gonna read the OP :v:

Also if anyone was curious (I know no-one was) there are 9 unlockable skins for the Chazcar, including the basic one you get for doing the main mission race. You unlock one per race win after that.

e: Anyone wanna buy some feltrite

I mostly said it because half of the QOL guide is from your posts 😂

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I know people seem down on the Hyper Cannon but I'd rather have nothing else when going against the shrouded. The 'Knock off ALL armor with a charged shot' and 'Charged shot makes enemies explode and damage surroundings' perks are great for them.

Edit: BTW, kinda neat to look up in the night sky and see a shattered moon.

Double edit: Okay, so I've learned that the 'Melee grenades back' perk is super generous. I don't even have to be looking at it directly, just be near it. This makes the 'Melee grenades back directly' perk even better than I thought it was.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 20, 2019

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Finished the game as well. The main campaign was indeed a bit short and seemed to end somewhat abruptly. I unlocked every weapon and ability and upgraded maybe half of them to max and had more than half of the available projects done, had I think +15% hp and +20% damage as well from the neural implants. Nothing really stood a chance heh, playing on hard.

I think some of the stuff might benefit from different pacing, like maybe if the barrier and grav dart launcher unlocks happened much earlier, maybe those would be more useful. On the other hand it might suck to have the more fun stuff (slam etc) unlocked even later than it is now. Would have liked some side quests for the arks to make it more obvious what's where and just to remind me.

Game is pretty good, the combat is fun and if you like clearing bandit dens and unlocking stuff and whatnot then this will provide. The campaign is not great but it's not horrible either, maybe the expansions will improve on this.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think something that needs to be understood about the shotgun is that the aimed shots best use is sending people over cliffs, on nightmare this is great for earlier when you have one shatter every like...20 seconds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s interesting to read other approaches, I found the shotty to be the de facto best gun in the game until I had a level 5 Assault Rifle. The Shotgun’s overdrive is buhnanas

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q722n4EJE8

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
the car had the right-of-way, i'm issuing you a citation. your court date is next wednesday.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

AirRaid posted:

Honestly if the game wasn't nothing but pop-ups this would be fair but loving every single thing is popups. you just want them to go away regardless of what they even are.
Like, these are things that could be done WAY better without pausing the game.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

While I agree it could have been done better, it was fairly clear to me that the different pop ups have different meanings. Tutorials/gameplay info comes up in a bar at the bottom of the screen. Other more useless stuff comes up in a window in the middle.

But yes, could be done better.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AirRaid posted:

Tutorials/gameplay info comes up in a bar at the bottom of the screen. Other more useless stuff comes up in a window in the middle.

....surely that's the opposite of how it should be, and also the opposite of how anyone would choose to implement it if it was thought about for even a minute?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Probably! An attempt was made to differentiate them, and they both require a click through/button press to dismiss, but yeah the important things being in the middle of the screen rather than “you completed the objective in this area here’s $154” would make a ton more sense.

And actually I wish there was an option to turn off the huge “you did the thing!” Boxes that pop up entirely. They just kinda get in the way. Having it pop up in the top left like the “Location Completed” messages would make way more sense.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does anyone else get a fresh batch of “This is a bandit camp, this is a fueling station” every time you turn the game off and back on and start playing? It’s like those pop-ups are per session and not per game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I've got 14 hours in RAGE 2 and I'm still enjoying it, but you have to take the game at face value and REALLY dig the combat and powers. The core gameplay really appeals to me (I loved Mad Max) but I can see how to others this will not be their cup of tea. The story is absolutely atrocious and I have no idea what is going on.

It also pains me to admit it, but I think I prefer playing with a controller over KBM on PC. I've been struggling to find a keybind scheme that works well with juggling the force power system, while it just plain works with a controller, and precision aiming isn't really needed. Playing on nightmare I don't really experience any loss of gameplay performance going from KBM to controller and vice versa; their strength and weaknesses kind of average out to me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I spent the first few hours ironing out my controls.

A couple of things i settled on:

As an absolute must - bind Focus to a mouse button. Eliminates all the weird crabbing you might have to do to press awkward key combos.

Secondary, mash slam or shatter or both onto instant cast buttons rather than the hold focus and press buttons. You'll be using these a shitload and just being able to hit and hold slam especially (holding slam with all the perks helps you aim it a lot) will really help.

Third - You'll almost never need the overdrive/ability infusions, so you can broom those controls for stuff you'll use more.

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone else get a fresh batch of “This is a bandit camp, this is a fueling station” every time you turn the game off and back on and start playing? It’s like those pop-ups are per session and not per game.

I have not experienced this at all, actually. Weird.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Yeah I spent the first few hours ironing out my controls.

A couple of things i settled on:

As an absolute must - bind Focus to a mouse button. Eliminates all the weird crabbing you might have to do to press awkward key combos.

Secondary, mash slam or shatter or both onto instant cast buttons rather than the hold focus and press buttons. You'll be using these a shitload and just being able to hit and hold slam especially (holding slam with all the perks helps you aim it a lot) will really help.

Third - You'll almost never need the overdrive/ability infusions, so you can broom those controls for stuff you'll use more.

I have not experienced this at all, actually. Weird.

Yeah, I tried binding Focus to a mouse thumb button and didn't like it - I've tried using thumb buttons before for fast paced shooters and it fucks with my aim too much. But that does remind me that Mouse 3 - the wheel button - might work OK. In the Dishonored games CTRL by default is block and I successfully moved that to Mouse 3. Ahh, but then again Focus is also the dash, which is super useful...

I like the idea of instant casts for the most used combat powers, that's something I've been considering and I'll give it a whirl.

gently caress, the controller binds really are a ton better for this game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I used M3, worked okay except for dumb harvesting. Didn't really care for any other rebinds.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I put focus on a mouse thumb button and overdrive on the other, it made the controls (especially the dash) usable with human hands. I might investigate setting up a binding for instant cast on slam since it is kind of hard to hit the timing on one mid-jump.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

I put focus on a mouse thumb button and overdrive on the other, it made the controls (especially the dash) usable with human hands. I might investigate setting up a binding for instant cast on slam since it is kind of hard to hit the timing on one mid-jump.

This is primarily why I tried out a controller - way too much fiddling around to make usable keybinds. The emphasis on force powers really undercuts the need for pixel accurate aiming that a mouse provides.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Indiana_Krom posted:

Oh holy crap, there is indeed such a thing as instant cast slam. Why didn't I know about this! Already beat the game haha but I just tried this and it indeed makes slam so much easier to use.

I had already bound focus to a mouse thumb button like you, now have instant slam on the other thumb button, works really well.

Instant cast slam should be in the guide in the OP. :)

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
So I've played this one for a few hours now and what I have to say is it is a good improvement over Rage 1 but it's really clear this series is the black sheep of the iD game family. Or at the very least will never reach the insane high bars of Doom and Quake and has to settle for what it can. The biggest bore I found with the original was the amount of driving (because there was literally nothing between the hub and the mission area worth seeing) which Rage 2 fixes by having outposts and stuff to raid/attack as a diversion. If anyone here played Mad Max 2015 (also by Avalanche Studios) it's clear the idea for outposts came from there. The shooting isn't as satisfying as Doom 2016 at first but once you start upgrading weapons holy poo poo does it feel like it at times. Overall, I like it so far and like I said the shooting is great once you put effort into your weapons.

Yeah, that's my trip summary so far.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Just found the Grav Dart. Holy gently caress this is the best gun in the game, it's so much fun just throwing people around.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zaa Boogie posted:

You've got two ways: If you open your weapon wheel you can click in the left stick to always get the Phoenix back for 10 bucks.

wait wut

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, next time you open your weapon wheel look in the lower right corner. You'll see the quick recall option.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 26, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The biggest issue I got with the game is that it's an open world game. I get so bored driving my lovely car around. I have absolutely zero interest in exploring this place. I'd much rather have a story to follow... The game basically just threw me at 3 random people I don't know and now I'm a mercenary for them I guess??? Clearing an outpost was fun the first 3 times, now I just drive past them because what's the drat point? It's not challenging, it's just a time waster. I'm also several hours in and I still only have a pistol, assault rifle and shotgun. Where are all the other guns?

The reason I stuck around in Skyrim or Fallout was because there was a nice balance between story, random fun quests and exploration. I feel like the balance is way off in this game

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zzulu posted:

The biggest issue I got with the game is that it's an open world game. I get so bored driving my lovely car around. I have absolutely zero interest in exploring this place. I'd much rather have a story to follow... The game basically just threw me at 3 random people I don't know and now I'm a mercenary for them I guess??? Clearing an outpost was fun the first 3 times, now I just drive past them because what's the drat point? It's not challenging, it's just a time waster. I'm also several hours in and I still only have a pistol, assault rifle and shotgun. Where are all the other guns?

The reason I stuck around in Skyrim or Fallout was because there was a nice balance between story, random fun quests and exploration. I feel like the balance is way off in this game

Ain't this 90% of modern open world games, sadly? I also enjoyed some of the Bethesda stuff, and - fight me - I enjoyed Zelda: BOTW a lot because of the temples, but the last Far Cry games and even stuff like Horizon: Zero Dawn bored me to death after a very short amount of time.

The same will happen here after I beat the story and did every available option on the map three or four times.

In contrast, I still load up Doom 2016 at least once a month to play some of my favourite maps, and love stuff like Soulsborne and Sekiro to death, because they have cleverly designed maps, with good enemy placement, which - if done right - doesn't get boring. But most open world games think that if you throw enough random enemy encounters into a bland world, it equals "endless fun".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I hate driving around, I skip all the bases, I don’t explore... and I don’t have any powers or weapons!”

*exponentially expanding thinky face*

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mind you, the criticism is not about lackluster combat because it only gets better after finding some arches and stuff to upgrade. I haven't checked actually, but I'd venture a guess and say after about six hours (only partly following the main plot, not even having met one of the three quest givers) I was at a point where combat was super fun, and I had one weapon (AR) nearly maxed out, and had to raise the difficulty because every next open world encounter didn't pose a really big challenge.

What I was trying to explain is that open worlds for me often lack replay value. A cleverly made map - like say Doom 2016 - or interconnected world with very good enemy placement - say Soulsborne - has a ton more replay value to me than an open world game which shows you all it's bells and whistles within a short time, and then doesn't even have a good story. It's fine as long as it's fun and you enjoy everything the first time, but for me it lacks nearly all replay value after I saw everything once (or twice, or three times in regard to open world encouncters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I can see what you’re saying there. And there are some unique places and bits to the map to find (At some point you learn the location of a place called “Secret Bunker”, which is quite good) but there’s not as much as there could be and some of the stuff that is there is really badly under utilised.

E: also speaking as someone who has pretty much 100%ed the game (I’m sure there’s a couple of things eluding me but there’s no real counter or metric to go by for this), there are huge chunks of the map with literally nothing in them. No POIs, no enemy encounters. Just empty bits.