Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
For factory construction - prior to the newest experimental build I had separated the resource inputs and the actual production to separate floors, with splitting conveyor belts on the lower floor feeding up ramps to the machines on the manufacturing floor. With the new lifts it's looking like I'm going to have to rebuild this to make it more efficient and replace the ramps with floor holes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The idea of the truck AI delivering my precious resources frightens me so I just build hundred mile long conveyor belts back to my main factory.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Canuck-Errant posted:

For factory construction - prior to the newest experimental build I had separated the resource inputs and the actual production to separate floors, with splitting conveyor belts on the lower floor feeding up ramps to the machines on the manufacturing floor. With the new lifts it's looking like I'm going to have to rebuild this to make it more efficient and replace the ramps with floor holes :v:

Actually now they snap to conveyor walls! You can run em up on the outside and save the floor space. And you can fit three lifts side by side on the three holed walls, making those walls slightly more usable when you lead stacked conveyor belts to and from them

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

The idea of the truck AI delivering my precious resources frightens me so I just build hundred mile long conveyor belts back to my main factory.

The truck only "drives" when you're close enough to see it. It gets abstracted away when you're not near it. And when it's actually driving, it will teleport to where it should be if it gets stuck or behind when you leave.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

KillHour posted:

The truck only "drives" when you're close enough to see it. It gets abstracted away when you're not near it. And when it's actually driving, it will teleport to where it should be if it gets stuck or behind when you leave.

Oh, so following them on their first run to make sure they don't fall over, and carefully ensuring that paths don't cross to eliminate collision risk are neither of them necessary or even helpful?! Figures.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I have had trucks fall off of highways or get stuck, but it's always when they are being observed.

One case of truck stuck, we noticed our coal had stopped coming in and I sent a friend out for troubleshooting (he was in the area anyway). He tries to dislodge the truck and accidentally throws the truck into a deep ravine. "Stupid truck," I say, "Welp I'll put together a new one and send it out."

"Wait," quothe my friend, "The first one is still moving. Maybe it's pathfinding is good enough to get back to its route?"

"Nah, that's impossible for an early access game like this. That truck is certainly lost and is going to spend eternity driving into a wall. That, or it's coming home to exact vengeance against me." At that very moment, the truck barreled into the delivery bay where I was setting up the new truck and ran me over.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
We need a list of goon-run Satisfactory servers.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
there arent dedicated servers, but maybe people could post their handle and get together and play

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's a goon discord

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

Actually now they snap to conveyor walls! You can run em up on the outside and save the floor space. And you can fit three lifts side by side on the three holed walls, making those walls slightly more usable when you lead stacked conveyor belts to and from them

Which is why I now suddenly have resource delivery shafts in front of and behind all industrial equipment

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Literally Kermit posted:

So glad they fixed this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pls post some screenshots of your multifloor factories.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This game murdered my video card. :(

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

ninjewtsu posted:

There's a goon discord

you can't just post this and not provide a link.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

It's really hard for software to directly kill a component like that, they have a bunch of sensors that will forcibly shut them down if them get too toasty. More likely your card was just ready to die. Condolences.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DelphiAegis posted:

Sorry I needed just one more circuit board and I'm not carrying plastic...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dred_furst posted:

you can't just post this and not provide a link.

Oh for some reason I thought it was in the op

https://discord.gg/VjNKATw

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

The Experimental branch updates were propogated over to the main (early access) branch, if you were waiting for them to be "stable" before giving them a whirl.

Also the Experimental client can read your Early Access world data, if you were worried about having to start all over in the Experimental build.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

once you've gone experimental, can your save hop back to stable?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

once you've gone experimental, can your save hop back to stable?

That I don't know, and since the stable build now includes all the experimental stuff, I'm not able to check.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I remember seeing someone showing off weird effects from loading their experimental save in stable (lots of mis-addressed graphics and the like) so I'd imagine it was possible.

But yeah, the experimental stuff is now in the main branch so just go nuts on that I guess.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm waiting for trains.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!

Turtlicious posted:

I'm waiting for trains.

Im going to put rails all over the map, even more skybridges

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I only just started playing last night and am finally starting to get some good production going. After 5 hours I am itching to get trucks and some faster belts.

I appreciate the high res screenshots button. Tested this and it worked well, got a 10k wide image. Will do one with better lighting tomorrow.

I'm thinking once I have a ton of resources to just explore and start a new base somewhere else, save having to knock this down. that was my tactic in factorio and it worked pretty well... I struggle to be organised when modifying and hacking the same poo poo I started with.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just bought this game a few days ago. I already put in almost 20 hours and I've unlocked all the space elevator tiers available so far. I started work on a basic factory but I want to find a better place to set up shop and build a real honker of a building. Every time I unlock part of a tier, I get overwhelmed and have to save and quit because that's a whole bunch of new poo poo I have to make.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
My biggest complaint is still that it takes a long time/effort to unlock alt recipes and then they make you tear up a bunch of stuff that you then have to reassemble piece by stupid loving piece.

Blueprints, whether copy/paste, pre-made, etc. would go a long way to eliminating that frustration. That and somehow making recipes easier to get..

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I can no longer use the alternate recipes in manual crafting benches. Is that intentional?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

nielsm posted:

I can no longer use the alternate recipes in manual crafting benches. Is that intentional?

Yes, for some reason.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The reason is incentive to automate.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Taffer posted:

The reason is incentive to automate.

Handcrafting times for higher tier items should be huge. Like 10 for reinforced plates, 20 for modular frames, 40 for heavy modular frames.

Because as it is it's almost easier to automate pressing the spacebar than it is to automate making things.

Also if I can load a belt with alternating Iron and Coal, I should be allowed to use the T1 Smelters to make Steel.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They removed alt recipes from handcrafting because they were jamming up the crafting list.

Imo, a better solution would have been to have multiple crafting buttons, one for each recipe (or a toggle-switch or grip, similar to the Space Elevator launch UI)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got excited about smart splitters because I figured I'd be able to use them to feed a bunch of constructors and whatever. Turns out it will only output a filtered item out of one output, even if two of them are set to output it. And if that output gets blocked, it just shuts down instead of sending the extras out the "any" output. That's not very smart and it makes the smart splitter almost useless. Also, the rifle kind of sucks. The ammo is expensive in terms of effort of creating it, and it seems like it's worse than the rebar gun.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cojawfee posted:

I got excited about smart splitters because I figured I'd be able to use them to feed a bunch of constructors and whatever. Turns out it will only output a filtered item out of one output, even if two of them are set to output it. And if that output gets blocked, it just shuts down instead of sending the extras out the "any" output. That's not very smart and it makes the smart splitter almost useless. Also, the rifle kind of sucks. The ammo is expensive in terms of effort of creating it, and it seems like it's worse than the rebar gun.

Sounds like you need a Programmable Splitter.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Evilreaver posted:

They removed alt recipes from handcrafting because they were jamming up the crafting list.

Imo, a better solution would have been to have multiple crafting buttons, one for each recipe (or a toggle-switch or grip, similar to the Space Elevator launch UI)

Given how they refuse to copy good things from Factorio while clearly being Factorio i don't think musing over "better" solutions is particularly useful, as almost every better solution would be "do what Factorio does".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Sounds like you need a Programmable Splitter.

That's what I'm working towards, but then what is even the point of a smart splitter?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mithaldu posted:

Given how they refuse to copy good things from Factorio while clearly being Factorio i don't think musing over "better" solutions is particularly useful, as almost every better solution would be "do what Factorio does".

Hard agreement from me.

Reminds me of that "why Anthem failed" article where the team kept saying to management, "if we look at what Destiny did..."

:mad: NO! This is NOT Destiny!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think part of it is they want to discourage you from hand crafting because it's actually just faster to craft poo poo by hand in a lot of cases, so they limit what you can actually do by hand to force you to engage with factories. Not that I feel like people need an incentive to automate in the game about automation but there you go.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Glagha posted:

I think part of it is they want to discourage you from hand crafting because it's actually just faster to craft poo poo by hand in a lot of cases, so they limit what you can actually do by hand to force you to engage with factories. Not that I feel like people need an incentive to automate in the game about automation but there you go.

If they want to encourage automation, they should probably move coal power up in the tech tree. Early on, I'm thinking: I could automate this but then I'd have to collect more leaves and stuff more trash in these generators so I'll just lean on this button for a bit.

When I unlock an alt recipe, the last thing I'm thinking is "now I can more efficiently handcraft en masse" but I am inconvenienced by not being able to look at it in what is otherwise a master list of recipes, and now I need to make a bunch of dummy buildings just to be able to see the recipes to plan my factory.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
The most hilarious part where they discourage automation, and where they break away from Factorio, is the loving power management. Some of the earliest research goals can easily be automated with the tools you have, and require enough things to make it worthwhile to automate them. BUT, at that point you have only one bio-burning generator, and if you have the minimum amount of buildings for automating those very early things set up? Your entire loving thing just plain *stops* all buildings instead of going slower like factorio.

They actively discourage automation.

I have no idea if this is because making things slower is harder to program in unreal engine or if they want to be different from factorio, but it's pretty idiotic either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They should definitely pause new features at some point and focus back on the early game because it's pretty frustrating. It's often easier to just manually create the things I need than figuring out how to set up constructors and assemblers and all the belts needed. Sure, I can build a factory set up, but I can't build the setup I want yet, because they gimped the features of something to have a later thing do it. So I can waste my time building an automated setup that I will have to tear down or abandon later, or I can just hold down the space bar while looking at my phone. They need to have an easier way to upgrade things. Right now, when you remove a building, you can't just replace it because it won't want to attach to the conveyors that were attached to the last building that was there.