Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Also, isn't that only 18 lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Some Numbers posted:

Thoughts about Reap and Sow?

Why bother? If you're at 3G and don't have Tron, something strange happened.

Some Numbers posted:

Also, isn't that only 18 lands?

Yeah, because you don't need a ton of mana since you're not chaining card draw spells, you just need Tron + 1 land to slam a fattie and gain a pile of life or eat your opponent's board. With 8 cantrips, 4 Stirrings, and 8 land tutors, you don't need more lands unless you're going heavier on colored spells and just need more colored mana sources.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Got top 4 in the Format Playoffs today. Lost to Burn in the swiss, lost to the same Burn player in the semis, and beat everything else. The other Stonehorn Tron player, Hampuse1, timed out in a match they should have won in game 3 against UB Delver, even after starting two and a half minutes up on the opponent. Stonehorn Tron is great.

Welp time to figure out how to win in Vintage/Modern and qualify for their Championships before I need to practice for the Pauper Format Championships in January.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I played this, more or less in pauper yesterday. Match 1 I hit my 3rd land on turn 5 or later 3 games in a row despite multiple redraws and almost won game 3 after keeping a 0 lander 4 card hand. Luckily my opponent had natural Tron and blind drew 3 Ulamog's Crushers and I only drew 2 removal spells. This deck desperately needs a Shriekmaw or Fleshbag effect.

Match 2 I hit my 3rd land on turn 5 twice despite multiple redraws. My opponent Exhumed an Ulamog's Crusher game 1 and did literally nothing else besides casting 7 Dazes and a Foil for the rest of game 1 and 2. So that was an easy win.

Match 3 I hit my 3rd land on on turn 9 and 7 respectively despite multiple redraws. After I drew my 3rd land in game 2 I went on to draw 0 spells for the rest of the game. On top of that, I drew all 4 lands that can't activate Pestilence in game 2 so I could lose to friggin' Elves with a deck with 4 Pestilences.

Match 4 I had 2 good games and a game 3 that started good and ended with me locking my opponent out. Then he drew the perfect card 5 turns in a row while I drew at least 7 lands in a row.

I'll report back in a year when I play this trash game again and lose to more never-ending mana problems.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My quarterfinals opponent played WB Pestilence, and had two losses - me in the top 8, and the other Stonehorn Tron player in round 1. Poor bastard had multiple maindeck Arashin Clerics.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played 2 pauper side events at GP Calgary lost one match across both events and had to explain how my deck won to EVERY OPPONENT (still tribe)

Beat burn while at 1 life 3 times.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played a league match against presence of Gond and managed to slam out games where my opponent didn’t draw prismatic strands. One where I had to do over 34 damage in one swing

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Probe banned, Gush banned, Daze banned.

It's definitely a step in the right direction.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Rip tribe.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
So where does Delver go from here? I'm gonna have to modify my deck since it runs Gush and Daze.

Note: I'm not complaining really; I'm fine with them being gone. Would have liked to see Foil and Tron go though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Framboise posted:

So where does Delver go from here? I'm gonna have to modify my deck since it runs Gush and Daze.

Note: I'm not complaining really; I'm fine with them being gone. Would have liked to see Foil and Tron go though.

u/r snow delver will be fine, they didn't rely on daze too much and they have ninja + augur to get card advantage without gush. mono blue will be ok as long as it can find playable cards to fill those slots (spell pierce maybe?). no idea about u/b since i don't have much experience with it, but it seemed to depend a lot of having a ciritical mass of free spells, worst case scenario though it just goes back to the more midrangey style that it had before foil was printed

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I'm bad, but this kills kiln fiend, doesn't it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Network42 posted:

I'm bad, but this kills kiln fiend, doesn't it?

Yes, but only because the format is going to be ridiculously hostile to that kind of deck, and also for similar reasons as to why Infect in Modern basically died once Probe got banned - there are very good answers (like Fatal Push getting printed just after the Probe ban), and now you don't get free information to work around them.

Also guess i'm going back to Stonehorns and figuring out a way to crush Burn. I expect a significant amount of Tron, and I suspect we're going to get nonsense like the 4x Reap and Sow build of Tron taking over.

e: also the daze ban is bizarre lol

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uPen posted:

Rip tribe.

Came here to post exactly this

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Super weird they didn't touch tron or foil imo. Gonna miss playing with gush tbh, that was a fun card.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Not totally surprised about the Gush ban, quite surprised about the Daze ban.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Daze ban makes no sense, and not touching Tron makes no sense. At least ban Flicker so I have to use Displace and can't just own LD decks forever.

Not hitting Foil makes sense because whoever campaigned for the downshift on that probably can't accept that it was a clear mistake.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just played a few matches after getting sick and tired of nonstop Delver matchups a few months ago, and apparently mono-G Tron is back in vogue, because I ran into it twice in a row.

I still loving hate Fangren Marauder, goddamn.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

play an actual good tron build and enjoy a 90% winrate against mono-green

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'll never play tron because I enjoy having a soul and not being repulsed by the laughter of children or natural sunlight

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

See you in three months to a year when they finally fuckin' ban Tron, Flicker, Foil and Delver then.

lol just kidding they're gonna downshift another obviously broken blue card in Horizons, it'll be busted as hell and ruin the format for nine months when they finally getting around to banning it, and then it'll take another year for them to know how bad the format is, just in time for the next obviously broken downshift

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm pretty bummed about the daze ban, getting people with daze or Mana tithe is just fun magic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

See you in three months to a year when they finally fuckin' ban Tron, Flicker, Foil and Delver then.

lol just kidding they're gonna downshift another obviously broken blue card in Horizons, it'll be busted as hell and ruin the format for nine months when they finally getting around to banning it, and then it'll take another year for them to know how bad the format is, just in time for the next obviously broken downshift

I wouldn't be surprised if they reprinted Brain Freeze at common in MH

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I feel like Foil would be fine if all the broken blue cards were banned, tbh. But I don't really see that happening any time soon.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I feel like Foil would be fine if all the broken blue cards were banned, tbh. But I don't really see that happening any time soon.

it's still nuts in the familiars deck that runs a bunch of islands, bouncelands to return islands, and compulsives/deep analysises to fuel them

also foil is never going to get played in a deck that isn't full of other broken nonsense

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Turns out magic is just running broken cards and cards that get broken by other cards. Who da thunk it?

Anyway, how likely are we to see something out of Horizons?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Torchlighter posted:

Turns out magic is just running broken cards and cards that get broken by other cards. Who da thunk it?

High. Hopefully it won't be some fuckin' free spell, and hopefully it won't be another blue card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So, there's a Rags to Riches next month. What should I play?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Probably some form of Stonehorn Tron with 2 Dinrova Horrors and 2 Pulse of Murasas. It also might be time to maindeck removal to deal with Thermo-Alchemist, but we'll see. I'll probably throw a list together tomorrow. You can do some egregious stuff when you don't need to worry about Gush decks refueling, since all you need to do now is survive and resolve a single Mulldrifter to win, and they can't even Daze your turn 2 CoP: Blue.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

jesus christ the pauper reddit is so loving bad, christ that place needs to be scoured

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

jesus christ the pauper reddit is so loving bad, christ that place needs to be scoured

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Torchlighter posted:

Goblin War Party basically allows pauper 8-Whack, so i'm looking forward to that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp Tron is busted, especially when people are still trying to play Tribe and Fiend. Tribe is just far too weak without Gush and Probe, and Fiend is far too vulnerable without Probe and Daze. Here's my first pass at a list:

https://pastebin.com/a51K56hG

Just jamming 4 Hydroblast and 4 CoP:Red, gently caress Burn and gently caress Affinity. Depending on how the meta shakes out, I might go up to 8 total anti-combat cards again, maybe go down to one Horror and/or Pulse.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
shout out to the guy going dark ritual into land destructon spell that I got matched up against twice in a row because nobody uses mtgo anymore

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

shout out to the guy going dark ritual into land destructon spell that I got matched up against twice in a row because nobody uses mtgo anymore

lol i played against that and smashed it because i'm playing a 23 land deck with 4 maps 4 prisms 2 flickers 2 pulse and 2 counterspells

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Some Numbers posted:

When? I don’t see anything on the Bellevue or Seattle calendars.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

born on a buy you posted:

When? I don’t see anything on the Bellevue or Seattle calendars.

June 15th

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

lol i played against that and smashed it because i'm playing a 23 land deck with 4 maps 4 prisms 2 flickers 2 pulse and 2 counterspells

i'm running even more lands but turns out my build is really soft to t1 land destruction t2 sign in blood and another land destruction spell for the 4 subsequent turns after that

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

yeah if the opponent has a dark ritual and draws more land destruction spells than you draw lands then that's a problem, but the turbo LD deck only really functions if it has at least one dark ritual/peat bog for early LD followed by either ritual into big threat or two more LD spells followed by the monarch followed bya continuous stream of more LD spells, and also they get owned by condescend on the play.

oh also that deck's matchups are loving atrocious and I wouldn't be surprised if one-land spy has a better overall winrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol imagine playing that land destruction deck and the opponent just goes turn 1 quirion ranger or even just a llanowar elves