Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The faster you type, the better it cools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I was using my wife’s new macbook and compared to the keyboard and trackpad on my old macbook pro (early 2011), I hate it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hopefully this will lower the price on 2015 used models, so I can finally snatch up a 2015 13 inch with 16 gigs of ram :)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, even if it’s finally fixed, no really for real we’re pretty sure you guys fourth times a charm, it’s still crummy to use. But at least being subjectively bad is a step up from objectively bad.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Still no option to ditch the stupid loving touchbar on the 15. I don't know how much more I can get out of this 2012, and may just go back to an iMac if they won't make a laptop that I want to buy.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

LionArcher posted:

Hopefully this will lower the price on 2015 used models, so I can finally snatch up a 2015 13 inch with 16 gigs of ram :)
i sold my probably-stolen 2015 rmbp for more than I bought it for, after 2.5 years. thanks jony!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I heard the 2018 macbook pros had issues with overheating, did they fix that? 8 cores sounds nice but I'm not seeing any changes to the cooling in the news which has me a bit concerned.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Koramei posted:

I heard the 2018 macbook pros had issues with overheating, did they fix that? 8 cores sounds nice but I'm not seeing any changes to the cooling in the news which has me a bit concerned.

That turned out to be a firmware issue iirc.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

The Milkman posted:

But at least being subjectively bad is a step up from objectively bad.

somehow this is the perfect summation of consumer/prosumer electronics over the last couple years

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

You're gonna have to get the password to that old AppleID and log off all the services in that guide that BobHoward mentioned, if you don't it's gonna be locked to that old ID even if you do a wipe and reformat. Hardware credentials get stored and linked in the cloud to that old account.

You shouldn’t need to worry about. The iCloud activation lock applies only to iOS devices. I’d be curious if the computer is enrolled in DEP though. Here’s a little post about it: https://www.rdklinc.com/blog/2019/03/does-apple-verify-our-serial-numbers-against-a-database-every-time-we-connect-to-the-internet

He doesn’t have all the pieces quite right, but his workaround is nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Koramei posted:

They never “overheated”, they just didn’t throttle properly

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Still rocking my 2016 with the original keyboard. Had to clean it 3 times with the datavac since I got it to unstuck a key.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah.

eames
May 9, 2009

Linguica posted:

Well with the new ThermoType™ technology the butterfly switches are all now copper fins on a built-in heatsink, and are warm and toasty for your fingertips as well,

Please follow the instructions for additional cooling and best performance under CPU load:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm excited to try out the newer keyboard but it probably still feels like typing on a butthole

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I've got a 2018 MBP and, shocker, the keyboard started loving up within ssix months - thanks for showing up to prove my point, busted s key. Am I reading all this properly that if I send this in for a new keyboard, I'll get the 2019, theoretically-less-poo poo keyboard? Or am I still doomed to need to bring this thing to the Apple shop every year or less? Assuming I stick with it and don't attempt to find the best non-Apple laptop, which I'm still tempted to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

morcant posted:

I've got a 2018 MBP and, shocker, the keyboard started loving up within ssix months - thanks for showing up to prove my point, busted s key. Am I reading all this properly that if I send this in for a new keyboard, I'll get the 2019, theoretically-less-poo poo keyboard? Or am I still doomed to need to bring this thing to the Apple shop every year or less? Assuming I stick with it and don't attempt to find the best non-Apple laptop, which I'm still tempted to do.

Correct, 2018's will get the 'improved' 3rd generation keyboard

16/17 will keep getting poo poo keyboard

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's a backlight service program for the 2016 model 13"

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service/

Display backlight continuously or intermittently shows vertical bright areas along the entire bottom of the screen

Display backlight stops working completely

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm excited to try out the newer keyboard but it probably still feels like typing on a butthole

I just got a new mbp for work and I loving hate it. trackpad is lol huge, the way i type i end up hitting the touch bar escape key very often, and the keyboard just feels bad. Article

eames
May 9, 2009

:munch: still got 2 years of AppleCare on my 2015, I hope they'll manage a major redesign before that expires.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...=0&utm_content=

New air for $898

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A person brought me a Mac formatted external HD (seagate) that suddenly was inaccessible on his computer. I stuck it in my data recovery station and low and behold the loving drive was encrypted. I asked the gentleman many times if he had any idea about the password, or what might have happened when he first bought it and started using it. Finally I decided to just go into the Keychain manager and see if I could find a password and I did! It was obviously autogenerated and was long and hard. If this guys mac had died or stopped working or whatever, the contents of the HD would have been lost forever.

What the gently caress.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple gives you the option to store the filevault key in icloud. if you choose to store it locally then.. yes if you lose that key you're hosed. that is encryption. not sure what's strange about that.

I guess other than the drive randomly not being accessible?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

KidDynamite posted:

I just got a new mbp for work and I loving hate it. trackpad is lol huge, the way i type i end up hitting the touch bar escape key very often, and the keyboard just feels bad. Article

Same here, I use an old USB aluminium Apple keyboard and a MS bluetooth mouse with Adobe CC suite. Have barely touched the keyboard / trackpad at all (which probably means it will die shortly).

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Spime Wrangler posted:

I'm hitting the wall with my current work machine, 2014 MBP 13" with 8gb ram. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a 27" imac and a 4k second monitor and throw another 32gb of RAM in it for a total budget of ~$3100, and keep the MBP for travel.

I have a sliver of trepidation doing it so close to a big event. I *could* wait I'm sure, but figure at this point there's not much chance they're going to announce a laptop or desktop that will get me 32gb ram, a good-to-go keyboard, and at least one 27" 4k display at anything like that pricepoint, right? I'm about to spool up on a couple new projects and would like to get this out of the way first.

trip report: this thing screams and the 5k panel is obscene. height adjust and smaller bezels would be nice but gently caress it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

apple gives you the option to store the filevault key in icloud. if you choose to store it locally then.. yes if you lose that key you're hosed. that is encryption. not sure what's strange about that.

I guess other than the drive randomly not being accessible?

Why did it happen without user knowledge?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

redeyes posted:

It doesn't.

If he told you he didn't specifically select the option to encrypt when initializing or or that he didn't later apply encryption, he's lying.

This is not something that happens magically. You have to explicitly tell macOS you want that volume encrypted.

Last Chance posted:

It didn’t, unless it’s a managed device with encryption rules set byJAMF or something

Or this. In which case your Mac admins should have the key to recover.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 22, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

It didn’t, unless it’s a managed device with encryption rules set byJAMF or something

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Luceo posted:

Still no option to ditch the stupid loving touchbar on the 15. I don't know how much more I can get out of this 2012, and may just go back to an iMac if they won't make a laptop that I want to buy.

The touchbar is amazing with BTT + GoldenChaos. Upcoming calendar events, reminders, iMessage notifications, e-mail notification etc. I really hope Apple doesn't ditch it at this point.

Touchbar + Function keys would have been nice.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 22, 2019

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are the new airs a solid recommendation for people upgrading from ancient MacBooks?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Gay Retard posted:

The touchbar is amazing with BTT + GoldenChaos. Upcoming calendar events, reminders, iMessage notifications, e-mail notification etc. I really hope Apple doesn't ditch it at this point.

Yeah, the touchbar is actually a great piece of hardware. The problem is that Apple has done exactly gently caress all with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

forbidden dialectics posted:

Yeah, the touchbar is actually a great piece of hardware.

DEBATEABLE

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In another time, Apple would out of nowhere include the gist of GoldenChaos in a new prefpane while ignoring half of its own Inhuman Interface Guidelines and the author of the original would have to go pound sand (see Watson, Flux, about fifty other apps) but luckily this will escape Apple's notice because they don't give a poo poo about macOS anymore.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

KidDynamite posted:

I think the overly large trackpad may actually be my biggest complaint about my 15" MBP. I don't even entirely mind the keyboard or touchbar.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Gay Retard posted:

I'd put up with the thing if they'd put function keys on as well. They could, oh, I don't know, shave a tiny bit off the top of that loving trackpad to make room.

I'm just sick of wanting to upgrade my MBP for a few years now, but the new ones having a laundry list of things I hate about them. I shouldn't have a list of things I hate on a product I'm going to drop three grand on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/ow/status/1130943430098587650

Just make a new keyboard already. I guess this is as close as Apple can get to saying their keyboards are innately hosed without legal repercussions.

eames
May 9, 2009

Housh posted:

Are the new airs a solid recommendation for people upgrading from ancient MacBooks?

If you can get a good deal on them, yeah they're alright for browsing and email. New/current 13" MBPs are on sale from time to time though. They have quite a few advantages without being much heavier/larger. Keyboards are all the same.

I'd wait for WWDC in 11 days for the small chance of a 12" ARM Macbook announcement.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

forbidden dialectics posted:

Yeah, the touchbar is actually a great piece of hardware. The problem is that Apple has done exactly gently caress all with it.

It might be well made, but removing the F-keys on a pro machine used by many, many programmers is just bafflingly dumb.

And no option to configure them back at any cost.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wooger posted:

It might be well made, but removing the F-keys on a pro machine used by many, many programmers is just bafflingly dumb.

And no option to configure them back at any cost.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Bob Morales posted:

Correct, 2018's will get the 'improved' 3rd generation keyboard

16/17 will keep getting poo poo keyboard

Mu Zeta posted:

https://twitter.com/ow/status/1130943430098587650

Just make a new keyboard already. I guess this is as close as Apple can get to saying their keyboards are innately hosed without legal repercussions.

"improved" indeed. I am overcome with confidence. I know consumer rights are pretty hosed nowadays but this seems particularly egregious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Being able to get a 4 year-old laptop's battery, top-case, and keyboard replaced for free if there's a keyboard issue seems pretty nice to me. Every manufacturer has issues with laptops that are just swept under the rug and not addressed, at least Apple will take care of the issue because they don't want anybody blogging about it at this point.

It certainly sucks for international consumers who can't get their keyboard swapped out in 1-3 days at a local Apple store.