Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that's also the first time in the mainline series that the Investigations games are mentioned. It's also the first game to mention that the series take place in Los Angeles, and it's in the most throwaway of places. SoJ has a lot of strange little touches that I appreciate.

Momomo posted:

That's literally every prosecutor in the series, though.

Is it? Franziska is the only one who comes anywhere near close to being as self-assured and it was clear that she was petty and childish and got to grow a lot for her latter appearances. Nahyuta is outright sanctimonious as he's trying to give your friends the death penalty, which is somehow far more grating than the other abuses to which our favorite attorneys have been subjected. Maybe it would help if he got dunked on more frequently for it, but Apollo seems to be the only character willing to call him out.

Godot and Blackquill were dicks, but they would happily concede a point and acknowledge that they'd been in the wrong. Edgeworth's entire character arc was learning that his life was bullshit and growing into the archetype of a good prosecutor. Gavin was also bullshit, but of a completely different flavor than Nahyuta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maya randomly mentioned Texas in the 3rd case and that made me really confused, thinking that Texas has a Japantown.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I only get to play in short hour or two chunks but I got up to the start of Retinz' testimony in SoJ case 2. Thoughts: Bonny and Betty are cute and good and I like the amount of sheer effort put into one-off animations like the teleport trick and the floating gag and Trucy's sword switching trick. With the hints being dropped that Retinz can do magic my guess for the case is as such:

Retinz is actually Mr. Reus and did a switcheroo and the dead body is the real Roger Retinz, which explains his Gramarye grudge. His motive is to smear Trucy's name with trickery using the clipboard and show and also kill his Gramarye identity since that name's run through the mud then disappear quietly with the Gramarye book under a new name scot-free.

Also Sahdmahdi kinda grew on me already when he started nerding out about burgers of all things, it's adorable

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

It's optional dialogue when presenting irrelevant evidence to Edgeworth. They reference the investigations games briefly and Edgeworth wonders who on earth it might have been who told Nick about what happened during those

Well well so it is. I never bothered presenting random stuff to Edgeworth I guess since there's not that long an opportunity to do so. Guess that confirms Gumshoe is still a detective then.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm watching a long play of AAI2 and it's a shame it didn't get localized because it feels the stronger story of the two.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Mind linking that one? The guy I usually go to for AA longplays (Slyzer, check him out he’s good and only does AA) only seems to do officially localized versions

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Slyzer's done AAI2 and is currently finishing up DGS, so you can check him out.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Finished case 2 of SoJ last night! I was wrong about the identity of the victim, I really figured it'd be the real Retinz but I guess they weren't going that way; still, the Mr. Reus reveal was still really rad and his animations and breakdown are something else. I ..... also didn't really expect them to retcon *another* person Apollo knew with Sahdmahdi, so I guess I'll see where that goes -- hopefully it'll be more meaningful than with the Astronaut in AA5.

Started case 3 as well and it's worth it to see Maya again and it's almost nostalgic for her to immediately get pinned as a murder victim. :( I was kind of hoping she'd do something else but we'll see where this goes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The bunny girls were adorbs

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Squiddycat posted:

The bunny girls were adorbs

betty winding up being a big ol' tsundere for tracy was adorable too

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I've got a Hell of a Mandela Effect going on right now. I could have sworn that there was a Payne family member named "Waylon" or something, but I guess I'm just losing my mind.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Merilan posted:

I ..... also didn't really expect them to retcon *another* person Apollo knew with Sahdmahdi, so I guess I'll see where that goes -- hopefully it'll be more meaningful than with the Astronaut in AA5.

is that really a retcon? iirc it doesn't contradict anything the games have told us about apollo

imo it'd be weird for apollo to have had zero acquaintances growing up

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Current thoughts on AAI2:

Oh god. Not you. Not yoooooooouuuuu!!! :gonk:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

U-DO Burger posted:

is that really a retcon? iirc it doesn't contradict anything the games have told us about apollo

imo it'd be weird for apollo to have had zero acquaintances growing up

yeah I said that poorly, I guess I was more thinking about the weird way AA5 introduced a really important character that we'll never know about because he's already dead by the time the relationship is introduced

but i'm looking forward to where this relationship is going

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Goodguy3 posted:

I've got a Hell of a Mandela Effect going on right now. I could have sworn that there was a Payne family member named "Waylon" or something, but I guess I'm just losing my mind.

https://advancewars.fandom.com/wiki/Waylon

The resemblance is uncanny

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Merilan posted:

Started case 3 as well and it's worth it to see Maya again and it's almost nostalgic for her to immediately get pinned as a murder victim. :( I was kind of hoping she'd do something else but we'll see where this goes.

i liked that but i also didn't like it. i thought it was kind of lazy to use maya again, surely they could've pointed the finger at someone else for once and maya is just chillin with phoenix doling out her classic investigation commentary

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The White Dragon posted:

i liked that but i also didn't like it. i thought it was kind of lazy to use maya again, surely they could've pointed the finger at someone else for once and maya is just chillin with phoenix doling out her classic investigation commentary

i'm about in the same boat. i imagined maya going 'hold on nick i've got this' and doing some kind of counter-seance or something rad which could still happen I guess!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Current thoughts on AAI2:

Oh god. Not you. Not yoooooooouuuuu!!! :gonk:

Which let's play is this?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fangz posted:

Which let's play is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D42Cexo75a0

Edit: I'm specifically referring to a character who comes back in The Imprisoned Turnabout.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 21, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Goodguy3 posted:

Nope there's only the two localized Payne's so far, Winston and Gaspen. Waylon is a pretty good idea for one though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
khura'in payne

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

khura'in payne

That's Gaspen again who was so humiliated by Phoenix that he ran away to a country where he wouldn't have to face defense attorneys anymore lol

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Bloody Pom posted:

Slyzer's done AAI2 and is currently finishing up DGS, so you can check him out.

... I probably should’ve um.. checked. :blush:

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

khura'in payne

Holy poo poo :perfect:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

khura'in payne

gently caress

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'm gonna admit that payne in AA6 really missed the mark for me because of the death threats

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Merilan posted:

i'm gonna admit that payne in AA6 really missed the mark for me because of the death threats

lol it was worse than threats

he baited phoenix into taking up the defense when he knew full well phoenix had no idea what the laws were, he was straight up trying to murder him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Gaspen is straight trying to murder Phoenix which is why Im irritated he didnt get killed by a terorrist insurgency action during the story

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Gaspen is the biggest piece of poo poo in the series and I fully believe he was executed by the queen after his failure.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah you're all right, he was pretty much trying to get Phoenix killed jeebus

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There's also their ancestor in DGS, Taketsuchi Auchi.

I know their family name in Japan is Auchi, but the DGS fanpatch specifically doesn't localize any of the names, which is good considering it mostly takes place outside Japan.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 22, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

lol it was worse than threats

he baited phoenix into taking up the defense when he knew full well phoenix had no idea what the laws were, he was straight up trying to murder him
I mean he was originally only doing it to intimidate nick, and then let him run off with his tail between his legs when it became clear that he would get literally killed if he failed the defence. He wasn't expecting Nick to actually take up the case from there.

... But when nick did so he just totally went with it no regrets, so this isn't much of an alleviating factor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do recall that in chapter three it's made obvious that lawyers have been granted clemency in exchange for humiliatingly crying and begging at the Queen's feet for mercy. Gaspen may well have assumed this would occur and wanted to see that particular scene. Of course, he was perfectly willing to risk Wright's life on it, on top of falsely accusing and covering for the actual murderer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If “covering for the actual murderer” is an unforgivable AA sin, I have some pretty bad news for you about every single main character. Except Apollo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hey now Athena hasn't covered for a murderer?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Bought and finished DGS. Loved it, just go in realizing they split the main story in two. Naruhodou's case 1 sold me on the character instantly and the cases weren't as hand-holdey as the recent mainline titles. As a big Sherlock Holmes fan, I thought this adaptation was hilarious. Was worried in case 2 that my familiarity with his stories would reveal too much about the games' cases but that was avoided. Couldn't help but think that this was the type of game AA x Layton the AA team imagined (this game with that one's soundtrack please, although some tracks were great). Thought the fan translation was excellent.

This was the first game with a full case without a murder right?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Got through most of the investigation section in SoJ case 3. aaa rayfa is like a wonderful mash between franziska and maya and she's adorably huffy :allears: and i was so happy they brought the stepladder joke back

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna be honest, Rayfa should have been the opposing investigator

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tesseraction posted:

Hey now Athena hasn't covered for a murderer?

That's fair. I only excluded her because I thought about 5-5 and honestly can't recall if she tried to take the fall at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's fair. I only excluded her because I thought about 5-5 and honestly can't recall if she tried to take the fall at one point.

She gives up but that's more because she despaired, not to protect Simon.