Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

T-Square posted:

Heh. I was bitching a couple of weeks ago about how a manager dropped an un-approved new-hire on me with absolutely zero notice or warning, or following any of our new-hire process.

Corporate just e-mailed us that this person is in-eligible for hire, because she just never took her drug test. Scanned a copy of her signed acknowledgement of being hired prior to completion of the pre-employment process including background and drug screening. It was hard not to add in a "This is why you do the process, gently caress faces."

At my last company, my boss forgot to schedule my drug test and it never came up again. Drug tests are BS anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Agreed. But them's the rules.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I spotted a new Ford Edge ST on the way to work this morning.
https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/edge/models/edge-st/

Pictures don't do it justice. It looks pretty nice on the road. Then I saw it got ~19mpg and i said "yeah gently caress that. so does my Ecoboost F150." I've got just as many seats, way more TORQUES and a 11,000 lb tow rating.

Then I found myself browsing online for a used Focus ST and eventually came across this:

I did not know that a Focus wagon was a thing and now I am sad that we don't have them here in the States.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If we had drug testing, we'd be out whole art/philosophy/music departments.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I spotted a new Ford Edge ST on the way to work this morning.
https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/edge/models/edge-st/

Pictures don't do it justice. It looks pretty nice on the road. Then I saw it got ~19mpg and i said "yeah gently caress that. so does my Ecoboost F150." I've got just as many seats, way more TORQUES and a 11,000 lb tow rating.

Then I found myself browsing online for a used Focus ST and eventually came across this:

I did not know that a Focus wagon was a thing and now I am sad that we don't have them here in the States.

I would have happily paid Ford another 2-3k for the wagon instead of the hatch when I bought my FoST.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not sure where else to put these, so I'll do it here.
Went to go see ZZ Top last Friday, since it's their 50th anniversary and all, and I've only seen them once before, in an abbreviated concert.

Local band Stone Cold Sweat, created by two area long-time morning DJs opened, followed by Cheap Trick:

That guitar was silly fun.

Then Bad Company:

And finally ZZ TOP!

The fuzzy guitars came out:

My iPhone's camera hates the bright lights + darkness.

Recorded a few songs on vid. I goofed and stopped recording at the break in "LaGrange", and somehow completely failed at recording "Legs", but I got these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruzAXh1Agck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79pxwAQybFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8Kany4wZw

The three headliners played great, especially for a bunch of old guys (like myself.) I looked it up and Billy F. Gibbons is just shy of 2 years younger than *my dad*, and Dusty Hill turned 70 earlier this week. Billy will turn 70 in December. I presume that Frank Beard is of a similar age. These dudes played for 2 hours, and well!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Welp, time to dust off the resume and start spamming it out. This just happened in my office -

Yes, the doorknob and hole line up. No, it wasn't there when I got here this morning.

Plant manager blew his stack because the parent company's email server went down, and since I'm the local IT guy it all came down on my head. Stormed into my office, violently kicking the door open and proceeded to scream at me for a good five minutes. Never mind that the server is physically in another state and I have no way to access it even if I want to when it goes down - that's on the parent company's IT guy in their office to fix, but he's not a convenient punching bag within arm's reach like I am.

Not the first time he's lost his temper like this and it won't be the last, but this is the first time he's done anything physical.

Reported it to HR but I'm not expecting anything to come of it - others who have complained about his behavior were shown the door shortly after doing so.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Geoj posted:

Welp, time to dust off the resume and start spamming it out. This just happened in my office -

Yes, the doorknob and hole line up. No, it wasn't there when I got here this morning.

Plant manager blew his stack because the parent company's email server went down, and since I'm the local IT guy it all came down on my head. Stormed into my office, violently kicking the door open and proceeded to scream at me for a good five minutes. Never mind that the server is physically in another state and I have no way to access it even if I want to when it goes down - that's on the parent company's IT guy in their office to fix, but he's not a convenient punching bag within arm's reach like I am.

Not the first time he's lost his temper like this and it won't be the last, but this is the first time he's done anything physical.

Reported it to HR but I'm not expecting anything to come of it - others who have complained about his behavior were shown the door shortly after doing so.

Document all of it.

Nothing gets a company to open their wallet like letting someone go (right to an attorney) after filing a complaint with HR.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I hope they are ready to open their wallets after they let you go, because you have a perfect suit driven by a remotely competent lawyer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just got a call back about the Aston. They haven't even tried to diagnose the suspension issue because the CEL was caused by an O2 sensor code so they threw their hands up and called the Aston Martin dealership in Cleveland. Who then told them the earliest they could get it in was July.

The good news is they found it's still under AM warranty until November. Maybe I'll get to drive it before then. :sigh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

That kind of poo poo is so weird to me, because when our e-mail goes down, or internet, or whatever, we just...make do without it while it gets resolved.

E: Actually now I remember this happening a couple of years ago with our previous GM, some dumb poo poo that wasn't even on the IT guy happened (the only IT guy for the three stores in this state) and he got in his face, and the IT guy just said "gently caress you, I'm not a child, I don't have to take your poo poo." and walked out. When he didn't return the following day, the GM called him and begged him to come back.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 21, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

toplitzin posted:

Document all of it.

Nothing gets a company to open their wallet like letting someone go (right to an attorney) after filing a complaint with HR.

Wrar posted:

I hope they are ready to open their wallets after they let you go, because you have a perfect suit driven by a remotely competent lawyer.

Honestly the parent company doesn't seem to have a business plan. Its like they started by flying by the seat of their pants 20 years ago and haven't considered any other strategy, so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd fire me "not knowing" they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

That being said though, I don't think they will - I'm currently too valuable. But I'm now done here because his next logical step is throwing punches or other physical contact.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Presented without comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8-Vjn2a8c

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Geoj posted:

Honestly the parent company doesn't seem to have a business plan. Its like they started by flying by the seat of their pants 20 years ago and haven't considered any other strategy, so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd fire me "not knowing" they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

That being said though, I don't think they will - I'm currently too valuable. But I'm now done here because his next logical step is throwing punches or other physical contact.
Jesus christ, that guy sounds like a real piece of work. Nobody needs that poo poo.

T-Square posted:

Heh. I was bitching a couple of weeks ago about how a manager dropped an un-approved new-hire on me with absolutely zero notice or warning, or following any of our new-hire process.

Corporate just e-mailed us that this person is in-eligible for hire, because she just never took her drug test. Scanned a copy of her signed acknowledgement of being hired prior to completion of the pre-employment process including background and drug screening. It was hard not to add in a "This is why you do the process, gently caress faces."
Hell, up here in :canada:, the land of legal :420:, people are still let go for testing positive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:wtc:

"y'all just telling me you let the doodle fall into the toilet? You don't catch it everytime? How d'yall take a poo poo???"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

drug tests are unconstitutional

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If there were breathalyzer style drug tests to show that you were currently under the influence, I wouldn't mind them. Not wanting employees to do drugs on the clock is something I completely understand, but punishing people for having drug metabolites that could be weeks old is baffling to me

At least a lot of companies are switching to oral swab drug tests because they're so much cheaper, and they are so unreliable because one of the most common drug side effects (and effects of stress) is dry mouth

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ZZ Top is great, I'm very jealous.

e: now I'm imagining that guy taking a Power poo poo (tm) after eating chipotle all week (with his hands), and relying on the tiny stream of water from those terrible automatic faucets to clean his nasty poop hands. Immediately afterward, he brings his moist poop mitts over to the blow dryers and aerosolizes the poop particles throughout the bathroom.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 21, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Made it home in spite of being that rear end in a top hat on the roads in a snowstorm with ~*~my AWD car~*~ on summer tires.

It's filthy. I think the total trip was like 1350 miles. I may not drive it for a month.

That's a lie

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Man, that is loving sweet. Jealous.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ, that guy sounds like a real piece of work. Nobody needs that poo poo.

Speaks volumes about how lovely my previous employers were that I'm able to tolerate this and am still here a year later.

About this time last year the controller for a PLC system went down - pretty much crippling the operation (they bought the facility because of the paint line the PLC controls.) I haven't worked with PLC in the past, but I was able to throw my IT troubleshooting skills at it and get the system back up and running at a minimal expense. The plant manager's response at the time? Deadpan, without a hint of sarcasm or humor "Well I guess we'll let you keep your job for another week." A few others standing around exchanged nervous glances among themselves and with me, as if they didn't think it was a joke either.

Fast-forward about a month. I was attending a meeting with IT staff from a client with several other coworkers and employees in attendance. Same guy reports that a desktop computer connected to a TV in the conference room isn't working, I tell him I'll take a look at it, however, as the meeting was starting and the desktop wasn't being used I put a pin in it. Guy storms back into the room moments later and starts yelling over the presentation in progress that it needed to be fixed immediately, and proceeded to try to pull it off the desk without disconnecting all of the cables first - in front of a room of over a dozen people.

And that's just what he's directed at me. I've heard accounts from others that I'm hardly alone in this treatment - up to and including all-hands meetings where everyone gets yelled at.

I'm just hoping if they actually investigate and interview others a few of them will have enough of a spine to tell the truth.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KillHour posted:

Just got a call back about the Aston. They haven't even tried to diagnose the suspension issue because the CEL was caused by an O2 sensor code so they threw their hands up and called the Aston Martin dealership in Cleveland. Who then told them the earliest they could get it in was July.

The good news is they found it's still under AM warranty until November. Maybe I'll get to drive it before then. :sigh:

The V12 engine likes to throw O2 codes. A lot of the time they're innocuous and pending lambda codes are often logged in the cars but there was a bulletin about it after new Vanquish came out and generally all four upstream sensors get replaced cuz there was an engine software issue that burns them out. The V12 is a real heavy breather so its sensitive to lambda sensor issues

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fridge corn posted:

The V12 engine likes to throw O2 codes. A lot of the time they're innocuous and pending lambda codes are often logged in the cars but there was a bulletin about it after new Vanquish came out and generally all four upstream sensors get replaced cuz there was an engine software issue that burns them out. The V12 is a real heavy breather so its sensitive to lambda sensor issues

That's good to know. Too bad I'm stuck without my car for the next 2 months, in any case.

I did the math on how much that car is costing me every day to not drive it. $68. I want my car back! :emo:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lol what the gently caress is wrong with people?

In a similar 'what is hygiene?' manner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMzOaM4-Smk

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T-Square posted:

That kind of poo poo is so weird to me, because when our e-mail goes down, or internet, or whatever, we just...make do without it while it gets resolved.

E: Actually now I remember this happening a couple of years ago with our previous GM, some dumb poo poo that wasn't even on the IT guy happened (the only IT guy for the three stores in this state) and he got in his face, and the IT guy just said "gently caress you, I'm not a child, I don't have to take your poo poo." and walked out. When he didn't return the following day, the GM called him and begged him to come back.

That would have 100% been my response if I managed to reign in my temper and not deck him in the first place. I react badly to folks in my face.

Scrolled past without watching.

slidebite posted:

:wtc:

"y'all just telling me you let the doodle fall into the toilet? You don't catch it everytime? How d'yall take a poo poo???"

DEFINITELY not watching it now. There are things I don't want to know. I'm one of those people who gets intensely embarrassed *for* other people, and he would be one of those other people. Also, disgusting.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

See, this is why we had "Health" class when I was in elementary school. I guess that's one of those non-essentials that isn't on the state funding competency tests, so they dropped it to concentrate on teaching to the test.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure that guy is trolling no way any sane person is gonna try to catch their poo poo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Pretty sure that guy is trolling no way any sane person is gonna try to catch their poo poo

If he's trolling (which I hope he is (I think)), he's a really loving good troll, because he was selling that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I like how my employee drug testing history is inversely proportional to the skill, responsibility, power, and pay my jobs have.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I like how my employee drug testing history is inversely proportional to the skill, responsibility, power, and pay my jobs have.

You mean only poors get drug tested? Shocking.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You mean only poors get drug tested? Shocking.

It's the American way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tremek posted:

Made it home in spite of being that rear end in a top hat on the roads in a snowstorm with ~*~my AWD car~*~ on summer tires.

It's filthy. I think the total trip was like 1350 miles. I may not drive it for a month.

That's a lie

Here I was planning on buying an STI or something simple and fun and then you come along AND LITERALLY FORCE ME TO INVESTIGATE HOW QUICKLY I CAN SAVE A PROBABLY UNGODLY AMOUNT OF MONEY IN ORDER TO PURCHASE A COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE YET PERFECT VEHICLE INSTEAD YOU SON OF A BITCH

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Good news I didn’t realise a 5 year old wagon could still be that expensive so I’ll just lust after yours instead

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

If he's trolling (which I hope he is (I think)), he's a really loving good troll, because he was selling that.

There is someone I work with who earned the nickname “Catcher” for doing exactly that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You could almost get a new one for that. They aren't worth anywhere near that asking price.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Goddamn if I were going to spend that kind of money I'd do the whole go to Germany thing and pick up the car. They still do that, right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's had over 60k in MODS and we all know the mod rules don't apply to German cars because......I have no idea.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I just bought a very cool Eezi-Awn brand roof rack for the Lexus and I am very excited about it. Since the supplier is local to me and doesn’t need to ship it they do the install for free. It’s getting put on Tuesday. Then comes the finding of a roof tent.

:getin: this 20 year old truck is a lot of fun! Not 700HP German wagon fun, but still fun.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This lack of knowledge is more common than one might think. It was never brought up in any health class I ever took, or during abstinence-only sex education either.

A relative of mine had to have surgery about 20 years ago because his foreskin grafted to his glans.

I used to have a really short frenulum and it made retraction incredibly painful unless I was completely limp.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's had over 60k in MODS and we all know the mod rules don't apply to German cars because......I have no idea.

oh jesus yeah i just found a different 2014 for 59k but still

my brother does a lot with mercedes and bmw and he reminded me that the maintenance costs are insane so :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Every once in a while a 5-Series Wagon pops up on Ebay or Craigslist and I kinda entertain the thought of buying it.
Then I also think that I'm considering buying a 10+ yo German car and :laffo: