Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question to ask the guys here, especially ones that aren't rail skinny:

Where do you wear your belt? Just over your hips in about the place a pants belt would go or higher up, closer to your navel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

slidebite posted:

Where do you wear your belt? Just over your hips in about the place a pants belt would go or higher up, closer to your navel?

Roughly the same place as a pants belt for me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

slidebite posted:

Narrowest point of my body so closer to my navel rather than just over my hips because I want my belt tight so it doesn't come off or shift.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wear mine lower down, closer to my hips like a regular belt but I can't help but think wearing it higher and keeping it tight enough to not come loose would not be helpful for your diaphragm and breathing when doing hardcore cardio work, which we do a significant portion each class.

Does it effect your breathing at all wearing it higher like that? I presume it doesn't or else you wouldn't?

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019
So. Question. What is the opinion/knowledge of anybody in this thread of Kajukenbo?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jakodee posted:

So. Question. What is the opinion/knowledge of anybody in this thread of Kajukenbo?

I did a search for Kajukenbo sparring on youtube and it seems that at its best it's pretty much point fighting karate and at its worst its McDojo Life fodder.

So I would rate it below Shotokan and Taekwando and on the same level as any other generic Karate.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

jakodee posted:

I did Kajukenbo for about a year right after high school. It was fun, but ineffective. I did MMA at the same time for about 3 months. After 3 months of MMA I knew there was no point staying with Kajukenbo.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

slidebite posted:

I wear mine lower down, closer to my hips like a regular belt but I can't help but think wearing it higher and keeping it tight enough to not come loose would not be helpful for your diaphragm and breathing when doing hardcore cardio work, which we do a significant portion each class.

Does it effect your breathing at all wearing it higher like that? I presume it doesn't or else you wouldn't?

Nope I've tried all different places and doesn't seem to matter.

I took a seminar from a red belt judoka 10 years ago and he wore his super low on the hips, which I think is the classical style. He also taught us the "super knot" in the locker room while getting ready.

So I do that now and wear unbleached gis. But I also do lapel guard. It's all about balance.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Just finished my first juijitsu lesson, no gi. I've taken a few Krav Maga classes, two kickboxing classes, but nothing has left me this exhausted in a long time. I'm horribly out of shape so that isn't saying much, but it was really fun. Going to order my gi as soon as possible. I'm excited to get my rear end kicked some more.

Don't really have a question or anything. Think I just wanted to tell someone.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jeremor posted:

Just finished my first juijitsu lesson, no gi. I've taken a few Krav Maga classes, two kickboxing classes, but nothing has left me this exhausted in a long time. I'm horribly out of shape so that isn't saying much, but it was really fun. Going to order my gi as soon as possible. I'm excited to get my rear end kicked some more.

Don't really have a question or anything. Think I just wanted to tell someone.

Awesome. The exhausted starts to go away after a while. For me it was because I learned to be more economical with my fighting.

Here's the BJJ thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did a judo class tonight at a local club. There was only one adult class, so it was white belts to black belts all together, which gave me fewer opportunities to drill basics. One of the throws was o goshi, and I got to do it 3 times before that drill round was up. It's familiar enough to me from sanshou, which has various hip throws, so I at least benefitted from those 3 attempts, but it'd be really demanding to someone who'd never done a martial art before. I was asking for technique pointers from the black and brown belts, and they weren't great at verbalizing the movements. The instructor didn't step in a lot to give pointers, even though it was a tiny class tonight.

Most surprisingly, it was very low intensity. At my kickboxing gym, the senior students will go rounds and rounds of sparring. But here, during randori, the other students were doing 1, maybe 2 rounds before taking a break. When I got to rotate in, I could tell my partner was already pretty gassed. I'm sure it's a function of this school and not judo instruction in general, but it is disappointing, since the place is a 5min bike ride from my house.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
That club is basically a non-profit community center which is nice but I'm not sure if it will foster that same level of aggression you're used to.

I went there for a month to work on stand-up but decided to pursue wrestling since judo and its rules are so specialized. I of course followed up by not actually training seriously in wrestling

They made fun of my bjj gi because the patches make it look like 'nascar'
Jokes on you judo nerds.

old.flv fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 19, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The patches do look silly, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

old.flv posted:

That club is basically a non-profit community center which is nice but I'm not sure if it will foster that same level of aggression you're used to.
I just know that at my gym, the senior students would get endlessly razzed for having that little gas. It should be a lot easier on my body. Ironic that I got slammed way harder on a usual sanshou soaring night.

quote:

They made fun of my bjj gi because the patches make it look like 'nascar'

Lol, I heard the same comment.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
There are a lot of judo clubs that are much further towards the hobbyist/recreational end of the spectrum. It's unfortunate, in my opinion at least, because I feel like a bjj club can have recreational players sparring with competitive players and both can get something out of it. If you have competitive judo players sparring with recreational players one of them is going to stop showing up. Eventually you end up with a fairly homogeneous club with little appeal to one of those groups.

It's also been my experience that many judo clubs trend towards recreational over time and it's very hard to drag them back the other way.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I think that's true and it's also worth noting we have Jimmy Pedro's just up north so it's not too surprising

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

ihop posted:

There are a lot of judo clubs that are much further towards the hobbyist/recreational end of the spectrum. It's unfortunate, in my opinion at least, because I feel like a bjj club can have recreational players sparring with competitive players and both can get something out of it. If you have competitive judo players sparring with recreational players one of them is going to stop showing up. Eventually you end up with a fairly homogeneous club with little appeal to one of those groups.

It's also been my experience that many judo clubs trend towards recreational over time and it's very hard to drag them back the other way.

Is that due to the nature of judo? Harder on the body when you're thrown or requires everyone to be close to the same fitness? I've heard kinda similar stuff from judo guys so def seems like a thing.

but bjj and judo used to be almost the same thing, I wonder if judo rule changes have had some unintended effects.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

According to a buddy of mine who was a high level competitor back in the day, the double leg was banned in Judo because some people didn’t like the way it looked.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Is that due to the nature of judo? Harder on the body when you're thrown or requires everyone to be close to the same fitness? I've heard kinda similar stuff from judo guys so def seems like a thing.

but bjj and judo used to be almost the same thing, I wonder if judo rule changes have had some unintended effects.

Training at a competitive judo dojo is very physically and psychologically gruelling. Most people aren't looking for that level of physical hazard in their hobbies. It can be hard to maintain that desire over the years as well. Takes a certain mindset.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't know a ton about it, but I'd heard that the founder of Judo had a distinct, now largely neglected branch of Judo (Kosen Judo?) Intended for college students and other part timers and like Jiu Jitsu it was focused on ground work. Furthermore, this was specifically because the amateur and the pro could do ground work (newaza?) on similar terms.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Wikipedia has an article on kosen judo, it's just an old ruleset.

VulgarandStupid posted:

According to a buddy of mine who was a high level competitor back in the day, the double leg was banned in Judo because some people didn’t like the way it looked.
It’s either "Russians kept beating the Japanese" or "players would stall by going for super bad doubles", depending on who you ask.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the competition rule no arm contact with the legs while standing? Or no gi gripping the legs?

a god drat idiot posted:

Training at a competitive judo dojo is very physically and psychologically gruelling. Most people aren't looking for that level of physical hazard in their hobbies. It can be hard to maintain that desire over the years as well. Takes a certain mindset.

Is that mindset different from other martial arts gyms that foster students to compete?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No arm contact whatsoever while standing was the rule a couple of years ago, but it's been fiddled with since.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The current rule is that a competitor cannot touch his opponent below the leg belt with his hand or arm if his opponent is in tachi waza (standing) and if that competitor has no other legal grip with that arm on the opponent's body. It is a standard penalty now.

So if I reach down to do a blocking knee tap, whether the contact comes down with my hand, wrist or even deep inside my elbow, that's a penalty. If I loop my arms between my opponent's legs for a kata guruma/fireman's carry, that's a penalty. Same if I use my elbow against my opponent's hips to block a throw (by far the most common penalty I see).

If I grab my opponent's belt and do a fireman's carry where I use my elbow against the hips or between the legs as a further lever, but keep that belt grip the entire time, that's legal, because I have a legal grip with that hand. This exception is one of those rules that takes a few sentences to explain, but it makes reffing a lot easier (i.e. if the hand is legal, the whole arm is legal.)

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 20, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The current rule is that a competitor cannot touch his opponent below the leg

... below the leg or below the belt?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

the judo rules are bad. The IOC/IFJ/capitalism's pressure to monetize the sport has ruined it, just as those things ruin everything else in the known universe. I still respect the athletes who do competitive Judo, they work their asses off and are beasts, but I no longer want to put time into training/watching a sport I don't enjoy.

Fortunately, Judo is still very fun and useful in BJJ. Yes you need to learn other things too. But becoming a better more complete martial artist in the long run.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Conceptually, Judo is probably my favorite martial art, largely for historical reasons. But the rules are just terrible. Attempts to keep it pure have only hampered the art and prevented natural evolution.

I do not want BJJ to become an olympic sport for this reason.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

... below the leg or below the belt?

Below the belt. sorry.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’m really enjoying judo classes right now as a kind of specific sparring for BJJ, I love having rounds where I can practice trips and throws without the fear of doubles or singles. Sucks to have a once-mighty martial art reduced to that, though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It really sucks too because you don’t see a lot of Judo guys dominating in MMA these days. Clearly it is a useful skill to have but without the gi and rule set it, few judoka have really excelled and many argue that you’d get a lot more mileage out of time spent learning wrestling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

It really sucks too because you don’t see a lot of Judo guys dominating in MMA these days. Clearly it is a useful skill to have but without the gi and rule set it, few judoka have really excelled and many argue that you’d get a lot more mileage out of time spent learning wrestling.

Or sambo!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, I just fell victim to the 3-way org split for judo in the US.
The coach told us to sign up for the national membership as part of our enrollment, which is $70/year.
I went to USA Judo instead of USJF. They both have $70 memberships, so didn't think twice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

kimbo305 posted:

Lol, I just fell victim to the 3-way org split for judo in the US.
The coach told us to sign up for the national membership as part of our enrollment, which is $70/year.
I went to USA Judo instead of USJF. They both have $70 memberships, so didn't think twice.

lmao, incredible

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maximum Efficiency with Minimum Effort

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Mutual Welfare and Benefit :homebrew:

I found out a local YMCA has a free judo club once a week on Saturdays, so I'm going to be switching over to them from my old twice-a-week judo classes because of work hour conflicts. It also turns out the same YMCA hosts Aikido twice a week for a nominal fee. I am cautiously curious, but I'll probably check it out. Aikido sounds conceptually to me like "what if judo was like yoga," which might not be a bad way to get some extra exercise in.

I'm wondering if I'm going to be in for culture shock

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Will a 1.5 weave gi hang dry enough in 48hrs? Or do you guys who train every other day buy two gi tops?

E: also, the real mystery isn't how to knot your belt, but how to keep your gi pants from slipping.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 22, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Will a 1.5 weave gi hang dry enough in 48hrs? Or do you guys who train every other day buy two gi tops?

I buy a gi that's a size (or two) too large. Then I wash/dry it and just let it shrink to fit. Once it's shrunk down I can just throw it in the washer dryer from then on.

I do get the sleeves/pants hemmed as well.

kimbo305 posted:

E: also, the real mystery isn't how to knot your belt, but how to keep your gi pants from slipping.

In addition to having the sleeves/pants hemmed, I also have elastic sewn into the pants waist so they become more like sweat pants.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I should check out some brands. At the club, they had one where the torso is pretty long but the sleeves are borderline, and it's not too fat. But would allow for the washing trick.
The next size up was way too billowy.

How much shrinkage before it plateaus?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I should check out some brands. At the club, they had one where the torso is pretty long but the sleeves are borderline, and it's not too fat. But would allow for the washing trick.
The next size up was way too billowy.

How much shrinkage before it plateaus?

Really depends. There's a blank gi on Amazon that I buy two sizes too large and it shrinks down to fit my chest/shoulders perfectly, but the sleeves are just too long (even after shrinking).

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07466JN8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whether you try the "buy a larger gi and shrink it down" technique or not, you'll be well served to have a local sewing shop fix it up for you.

There was a guy (in the BJJ thread I think) that had a seamstress use parts of two different sized gis to make one perfect fitting gi for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
judo pants are the worst. "they're made to fit all sorts of people" is a busted excuse for their design. that's what different sizes are supposed to be for.

make sure you tie a knot or a bow or something into the little cloth belt that comes with the pants before putting it in the wash, or eventually the spin cycle will tease the belt out of place and you'll have to use a coat hanger or something to tediously fix it. Or just start putting your old pair of karate pants on the line every time you do mat work and hope nobody tears them