Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I put it in their bedroom and named their pet squirrel Nipz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hit me with some storage mod suggestions.

I REQUIRE SPACE! :science:

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I use Ogrestack and rimfridge.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Thyrork posted:

I've always just used Extended Storage; pallets, skips, baskets, shelves, cabinets, tray racks, radioactive waste bins, etc.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Voyeur posted:

I've always just used Extended Storage; pallets, skips, baskets, shelves, cabinets, tray racks, radioactive waste bins, etc.

It can be buggy as gently caress at times though, I suggest Rimfactory:
https://github.com/spdskatr/ProjectRimFactory

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Nalesh posted:

It can be buggy as gently caress at times though, I suggest Rimfactory:
https://github.com/spdskatr/ProjectRimFactory

Oh I thought that was still pre 1.0?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I get all my mods from the workshop. Are there other good mods off-steam I should be aware of?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Thyrork posted:

Oh I thought that was still pre 1.0?

Only the workshop version, the github version is up to date.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Someone made a version of Extended Storage that works much better, using the same graphics : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617282896

It can even stack clothes, which is really handy.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Extended Storage sounds good until you realise it only stores one version of one type of thing at once. That was the problem I was trying to solve!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sillybones posted:

Extended Storage sounds good until you realise it only stores one version of one type of thing at once. That was the problem I was trying to solve!

Still lets me compact the massive stockpiles of basic materials like wood and chunks so it's better than nothing. :shrug:

Just wish the descriptions would list what item types the containers allow so I don't have to spend resources building them to find out for sure.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Sillybones posted:

The mod I linked allows multiple type of items in the same storage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah I don't mind the default stack sizes for things that stack, I never bothered with quantum stockpiles in DF. Puttering around optimizing storage is part of the game to me. They only want to stack the lumber and bricks knee high? Well it's probably safer that way.

That said, the situation with clothing drives me up the wall. If a dude wearing a full set of clothing takes up one space, then removing the dude shouldn't make the clothing suddenly take up 4 spaces.

I just want a closet that can hold like 10 things. Unfortunately the only way to do that is if your closet is actually a muffalo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Unfortunately the only way to do that is if your closet is actually a muffalo.

brb making a mod

I still like the Extended Storage clothes racks even if they only store one type, because with big colonies and churning out lots of clothing for exp and trading, having 10 shirts, 10 pants, 10 dusters, etc., still can get tidily stored away in a dressing room.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Storage just isn't fun and certainly not easy to micro anyway.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Psychepath posted:

I'm playing this again for the first time since before caravans and I don't know if art posts are still a thing, but this is Mac's wife sculpting him having relations with a slaver named Nipz who chased a refugee onto my property and Mac's mom killed with a knife.

:justpost:

Also, from my experience stripping people in Rimworld, and how slavers usually end, I don't think Mac is "having relations" with Nipz. Unless... :yikes:

No, no. I prefer to think Mac just REALLY likes looting bodies.

Thyrork posted:

Have you considered building a space ship? There's lots of space outside of your Rimworld's gravity well.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sillybones posted:

Animals Logic has an option to convert all (nonhuman) meat into chicken meat, which makes it easier to manage. There's also an option to convert all ruined eggs into unfertilized chicken eggs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i started a crashlanders game

the people the game rolled for me were Gavril Maldonado, an inventor who's got two flames in crafting, one each in cooking and plants, and decent skills in those; Vasilisa Mohme, his wife, a machine collector with also-good crafting, good medical, and good mining/plants; and Adrian "Narices" Mohme, their son (stepson in Gavril's case).

Adrian is:

- 55 years old, making him biologically older than either of his parents
- literally only good at mining, construction, and hitting people with things, but very good at the first two of those and decent at punching
- endowed with the Bloodlust and Misogynist traits
- a giant fat gently caress

naturally, I laughed my loving head off and rolled with this

e: like, if the game gives me two badass space people and a fat incel who also conveniently fits the skill gaps in the colony, that's not a situation I'm going to turn down

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 23, 2019

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I mean mining or construction are your highest in demand skills for the first 6 months so yeah why not.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I think I am learning that shooting is fundamentally limited whereas melee allows you to create cyborg killing tornado of death machines. I want to move half my fighters to melee but training them up is no good. It is like you have to be born with good melee skill.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Theres a mod that adds training dummies for shooting and melee, but even with those it's pretty brutal to get them leveled up.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I think if you double the dummies training speed it would still be balanced. I kind of like how those work as they are. Instead I have decided to allow melee to be hunters. Only the strong may survive.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Can colonists hunt with melee? That's basically how you level shooting.

But yeah, I've also only just realised how important it is to have some melee fighters rather than just a wall of guns. I think I was just put off by how fragile colonists can be.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I mean, you can hunt with melee, but I wouldn't advise it on anything larger than a rabbit before you have absurd upgrades and such.

(Draft somebody, tell them to stab a critter, hey look you got meat!)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
With mods, sorry. Melee hunting seems to work fine as long as you have full covering armour. They still rest to heal between kills though, but hitting things is the only way you are really getting experience anyway. Do hunt little bunny-like things as you say. I guess you also want to use the weakest possible weapon so you get some good hits in. And with the mod, set them to attack-response mode.

RIP individual fingers and toes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Melee is pretty awesome in a raid. For hunting you're almost guaranteeing yourself hospital time after every hunt with the likelihood of slowly removing pieces of your pawn over time one fingat at a time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Melee pawns are pretty undeniably extremely deadly, but with regard to raid defense I've always found that setting up melee-friendly defenses isn't actually worth the trouble. If you're constructing a doom corridor to bait people into a melee beatdown you could just extend the corridor a little bit, add another couple traps, and funnel them into a bunch of guns instead and not risk the injury. Additionally, once raids get big enough it's a lot nastier to try to pick out all the explosives-wielding fuckers before one of them can snap off a shot before your guys gut him with a melee-based setup.

My colony defenses are pretty much always configured in such a way that direct danger to my colonists is the last resort - I'll deploy trap corridors, I'll put my turrets in front of my draftees, anything to avoid potential injury because injuries are permanent and/or very expensive to fix and they have a deleterious effect on productivity.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Melee pawns aren't the best for defending your own bases. Where they do excel is raiding other's bases.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Melee pawns have a use in defending against the raiders that get through your hellbox.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Melee pawns are also great for underground bases because you can park them in a doorway whenever an infestation hits and have your gunmen shoot over their shoulders

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've found a heavily armored and shielded melee pawn does a good job of pinning raiders down while my gun people shoot them.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What are you're go to tactics for sappers? I think the best I have found is a minefield

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What are you're go to tactics for sappers? I think the best I have found is a minefield

Here's my current mountain base after a couple of years:

I built out my walls to the point where sappers consistently only tunnel through the path marked in red to avoid my defenses. This is fine with me because I built a sally port door from which I can launch rockets at them from cover. My first level of minefield and collapsing roof defenses does a good job of softening them up.

If they're preparing for an assault, I'll hit them with mortars or call in military aid from allied factions (make sure they're far enough to engage away from your defenses or you'll lose a lot of relation if they get caught in your crossfire).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mountainhomes dont seem right to me, a sunshine and nature loving war criminal.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

man, sometimes when it hits, it hits

I had a really good family of construction people, both Lottie and Mac had 19 construction, the kids Scarlet and Zakhar had 12.

The psychic ship landed and Lottie was dumb and bumped it, got killed. Mac took a bunch of bullets from a centipede and bled out in the hospital. Scarlet took the "shortcut" to the emplacement I'd set up, and got her arm and leg blown off. She bled out in the hospital too.

Zakhar's the last decent construction guy I have and I think I might put him on Home restriction until I can find some new construction people.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
in reply to the earlier questions about good animals, if you can get your hands on them, elephants are pretty good.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Horses are great for their speed and carry weight. I don't know if there are other animals that are better.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Sillybones posted:

Horses are great for their speed and carry weight. I don't know if there are other animals that are better.

??

That's a mod I think? I was just talking about vanilla.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

mauman posted:

??

That's a mod I think? I was just talking about vanilla.

Hah, I honestly thought they were vanilla. My bad. I think it has been a while since I have played without mods then.

sorry i am dumb

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Sillybones posted:

Hah, I honestly thought they were vanilla. My bad. I think it has been a while since I have played without mods then.

sorry i am dumb

Understandable, Horses seem like the kind of animal that should be all over the rim, so thinking they're vanilla is pretty rational.