Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If I were elected director of the russian bureau of ordnance (Byuro Boyepripasov, perhaps), the thread might receive regular telegrams similar to the following:

pre:
***BYURO BOYEPRIPASOV PRIORITY ORDERS 3 MARCH 1900 ST PETERSBURG***
BY ORDER VASHE IMPERATORSKOYE VELICHESTVO NICHOLAS II STOP
HEREBY INFORM MASTER OF NAVY NEW REQUIREMENTS STOP
FOR GLORY OF RUSSIA FLAGSHIP PERVENETS PROHIBITED FROM MOTHBALLING STOP
TSAR FOND OF TORPEDOES INSISTS RESEARCH IMPROVED TORPEDOES MAXIMUM PRIORITY STOP
TSAR REQUIRES CONSTRUCTION COMPLETE OF LONG-RANGE LIGHT CRUISER NO LATER MARCH 1903 STOP
DUE TO TUNGSTEN SHORTAGE BUORD ORDERS PRESERVE LIGHTBULB FILAMENTS: ONLY GASLIGHT PERMITTED FOR NIGHT OPS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE STOP
DO SVIDANIYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I already voted, but if I hadn't that would have secured my vote. Luckily if already voted for you.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

habeasdorkus posted:

I already voted, but if I hadn't that would have secured my vote. Luckily if already voted for you.

Seconded. Plus 'Leperflesh' just sounds like a Russian naval name.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Propose doctrinal changes at earliest available opportunity:

Switching all ammo to 20% AP 80% HE

Target B/BB/BC

HE/HE/HE 4-6 (SEC)
HE/HE/HE 4-6 (PRI)
AP/HE/HE 7-10
AP/HE/HE >11

Target CA

HE/HE/HE 4-6 (SEC)
AP/HE/HE 4-6 (PRI)
AP/HE/HE 7-10
AP/HE/HE >11

Target CL

AP/HE/HE 4-6 (SEC)
AP/HE/HE 4-6 (PRI)
AP/AP/HE 7-10
HE/AP/HE >11

Initial studies have shown all of our currently equipped guns cannot reliably penetrate armor greater than 7" at 5000 yards; logic would presume enemy B's, and CA's have similar or greater levels of armor protection as our own.

Instead of firing ineffective armor piercing round, we should fire High Explosive rounds, that will disable their secondary and tertiary batteries, start fires, and send shrapnel through the lightly armored decks of our opponents and into their machinery, crippling them and leaving them vulnerable to our torpedoes.

This change in doctrine will remain in effect until primary armament of newest class of B/BB/BC is capable of reliably penetrating 10"@10k yards or Jan 1, 1908.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 21, 2019

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Propose doctrinal changes at earliest available opportunity:

Switch all hulls to Novgorod and Vitse-admiral Popov class hulls.

This change in doctrine will remain in effect until Russian naval supremacy is ensured.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like that the world map is just the current map with old timey flags on it.

Borders are on land, they don't matter

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Why is there no option in research for Zeppelins? What ship can withstand a shell fired from directly above? What ship can elevate its guns to hope to hit?

Our blue water navy is important, but our blue sky Navy is the FUTURE!
The Retvizan and Dvenadtsat Apostolov both have anti airship guns so expect other nations to use them as well. Furthermore, dirigibles can be blown of course by winds like a long-outdated sailing ship. I see very little future beyond observation balloons for flying war machines.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It's important to remember that the entire game was programmed by an old Swedish guy in his free time. Things tend to be pretty low production value

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PittTheElder posted:

They bought the rights to the 3d style globe map from some company and it would be too much effort to fix the borders. Mapping stuff on a 3d plane is :effort:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

uPen posted:

They bought the rights to the 3d style globe map from some company and it would be too much effort to fix the borders. Mapping stuff on a 3d plane is :effort:

Yes, but even the 2d world map you see in the strategic layer has modern borders.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can't have your maps not match, that would just be gross.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

You can't have your maps not match, that would just be gross.

Messy borders... ugh.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
There is a deadlock between Leperflesh and Saros. has anyone not voted yet who can break it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The game goes until 1975 so they're just planning ahead for decolonization.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Sorry Leperflesh, you've been a pal in the Combat Mission games, but I've got to go with Saros on this one

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Just voted and.. Well, I guess the tie possibly goes on

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I propose a doctrine change away from the battleship and instead towards a fleet of fast, nimble small ships armed to the teeth with torpedoes, the smaller the better (If R&D can invent surfboards with torpedoes and outboard motors I would award them a medal) . If there is one thing that glorious mother Russia has, it is a large population of patriots ready to do their part for their Tsar and countrymen.

Grey Hunter posted:

<an update>
Only available resolution for the video is 360px, which renders the text in the windows unreadably blurry.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
As had to be pointed out to me, it just takes time for YouTube to make the higher resolutions available

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The voes have been counted.

All ships shall remain under construction.

No new ships shall be built until our tech improves.

The research budget shall be set to 12%.

We shall run low levels of intelligence on all nations.

The Navy will remain in a state of readiness.

In the most hotly contested contest, Leperflesh will be running our Bureau of Ordinance.

You main job now is to set the priorities for research - remember, if everything is high, nothing is high.

Sate setting

I’ll run the turn tomorrow, but for now, I need to have an idea of how I should be playing. For those who do not play, the game throws event at you pretty much every turn, and how you react changes things in the world - I can’t save the game with the events up, so I need some guidelines.

The first questions are simple - how should I deal with the other countries. If an event comes up involving that country I need to know how to react.

The next two are for what we are aiming for with the events, the main events are

Budget up/down (more or less money)
Prestige up/down (the games scoring system)
Tension up/down (sometimes general, sometimes against a specific country)

Tension will, to some extent, be guided by the national settings, but there are some more general events.

This will be a priority system, so do I focus on increasing the budget above all else, or try and keep tensions down while doing it?

These will only be guidelines, and we’ll see how they go. I’ll run the first turn tomorrow now.

click here to vote!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Grey Hunter posted:

In the most hotly contested contest, Leperflesh will be running our Bureau of Ordinance.

Curse you single voter who ruined my dreams :argh:

That said we really need to be reserving and mothballing ships. If we don't we have no money to save to build anything new.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I think I speak for everyone when I say
gently caress France

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We’re really only hurting ourselves by leaving all our ships in active status. The maintenance costs of our battleships are pretty high.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pirate Radar posted:

We’re really only hurting ourselves by leaving all our ships in active status. The maintenance costs of our battleships are pretty high.

It's only 1900, we're not supposed to start ignoring the democratic sentiment of the thread's population until 1905, right? :shittydog:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mukaikubo posted:

It's only 1900, we're not supposed to start ignoring the democratic sentiment of the thread's population until 1905, right? :shittydog:

If we're going for realism we should make Grey simulate the fatheaded idiocy of the late-Romanov dynasty by staying up all night drinking cheap vodka and scribbling out shipbuilding strategy while dealing with a crackling hangover.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

If we're going for realism we should make Grey simulate the fatheaded idiocy of the late-Romanov dynasty by staying up all night drinking cheap vodka and scribbling out shipbuilding strategy while dealing with a crackling hangover.

I have a three year old, will that create the same effect?

Also! I released I never shared the spreadsheet for ship names- because we're going to need them!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ipI4IazqKbGGAB7Ejd0DJZinF7Qh62MpiwhumIa8mZY/edit?usp=sharing

I'll randomize this a bit after a few days.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 22, 2019

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

Depends, do they suffer from hemophilia?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

If anything, we shouldn't be voting at all until 1905, and even then our votes should be completely meaningless except for one thread member who gets arbitrarily appointed to represent the nobility.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't think that's only a Russian thing. Something about 20" pop-up turrets that drop down for protection while they reload...?

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
We can put the ships in Reserve status rather than mothball them. The crew quality penalty is much less, and if you're not anticipating a war immediately there's really very little reason to keep the entire fleet on active duty. If you want, you can keep a few ships that you want to be your elite force on active duty to build up their crew quality, but generally the extra money from putting the ships in reserve is worth more than the crew quality from keeping them active.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hm. These submarine creatures seem good, allegedly they can sail under the ice. We should focus on them!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Hm. These submarine creatures seem good, allegedly they can sail under the ice. We should focus on them!

I agree! We wouldn’t be Russians without submarines—and I’d argue to prioritize torpedo tech as well then. That would give us some additional benefits for any future cruisers or the like with torpedo launchers as well as eventual benefits for torpedo bombers.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pretty sure air dropped torps are a Heavier-than-air tech and none of the torpedo techs actually effect aerial torpedoes. Maybe the improved warhead techs but they are few and far between. Most 'Torpedo' techs is just stuff like "what if we stuck two tubes together" :science: or "what if we put above water tubes on cruisers" :monocle:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Now now, let BUORD make his own mind up - if I wanted a group consensus, I would allow voting on it.

BUORD exists to add a third party to part of the game.
and to hopefully make me cry.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I voted not to mothball any ships but only because I couldn't vote to put ships on reserve, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I think we should avoid starting poo poo with the bigger nations like the US and UK but otherwise we should focus on prestige even if it raises tensions with less terrifying nations

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Splode posted:

I voted not to mothball any ships but only because I couldn't vote to put ships on reserve, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

This.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Splode posted:

Thirded.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

okay, added a question about the reserve fleet.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I voted vaguely for reserve, as I'm not qualified to judge how much of the fleet should be kept active. I'd assume more than 2/3 can be put in reserve without significantly impacting our nation's readiness, especially as we can pull stuff out of reserve if and when tension increases. Game owners, is there any reason we can't/shouldn't reserve the entire fleet? There must be, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Grey Hunter posted:

Also! I released I never shared the spreadsheet for ship names- because we're going to need them!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ipI4IazqKbGGAB7Ejd0DJZinF7Qh62MpiwhumIa8mZY/edit?usp=sharing

I'll randomize this a bit after a few days.

I'm plumping for different types of ship to have naming themes. Two things Russia has a lot of in their history are great writers and great composers. So the BB list now has names like Tchiakovsky and Mussorgsky and the CV list has names like Tolstoi and Chekov. I'm considering also making all the DDs the nicknames of characters from War and Peace, so stop me before all our destroyers are named Kolya, Kolenka, Nikolenka... (and that's just for Nikolai Rostov!)