Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i searched for "david gerrold blockchain" but all i could find was butters amazed that a scifi author predicted modern smartphones... way back in 1999

https://mobile.twitter.com/laurashin/status/979187221969317888
my prediction for what his incredible prediction on the future of blockchain will be is that what exists now will become more convenient, have a number of additional features that make sense in regard to improving technology in other related sectors, and have a television aerial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i searched for "david gerrold blockchain" but all i could find was butters amazed that a scifi author predicted modern smartphones... way back in 1999

https://mobile.twitter.com/laurashin/status/979187221969317888

sci-fi author: it will be small enough to hold comfortably, and have a headphone socket

apple: gently caress, he predicted it, now we have to do something different

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why the hell do these coiners keep listing their losses in $

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The author of that "prediction" could have already combined some of the devices he was carrying at the time, the Nokia Communicator, for example, was released in 1996. Phone and PDA in one!

Also, I miss my sweet iPAQ! You could write pretty fast on that thing using the character recognition.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 22, 2019

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Bitcoin’s killer app: real money, real time game ladders. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 6 hours ago by ianandris

So, just showerthinking over here, but imagine ladders with a crypto fee to enter where the winners actually walk away with money at the tourneys end instead of pride or ingame rewards.

The first big publisher to do this could spawn a legitimate industry. If you mom realized your gaming was paying rent, how much more likely would she be to let you play?

How much more would people improve with real money on the line? How many more games would they sell if people realized they could actually make a living off of playing?

Not to mention, if a game company did this, it would encourage its user base to adopt crypto which would set the entire industry on absolute fire.

Honestly, the whole concept could be probably accomplished with a DAO. Hell, I wonder if Bisq has an API functionality that would allow something like this. I’m imagining a GameSpy type service from the 90s that was needed since game companies didn’t realize how much money they could make by matchmaking natively.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Cryptopia founder already has a new exchange ready to go

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lambert posted:

The author of that "prediction" could have already combined some of the devices he was carrying at the time, the Nokia Communicator, for example, was released in 1996. Phone and PDA in one!
i mean, the best scifi engages in precisely this kind of prediction based on this kind of knowledge of what technology has just come in and where it might go. jules verne didn't literally invent the concept of spaceships from nothing - he took the ideas of his time and extrapolated their use in a way that seemed plausibly likely in how they were progressing already. it just turned out that shooting people out of a gun tended to kill them, so we used rockets instead. the 90s-2000s saw a massive acceleration in not just the hardware of computing, but in the social and commercial ideas it enabled.

the key thing isn't that his prediction isn't a real 'prediction' because these things were already in their nascence during his time - that's science fiction's core - it's that coiners are being truly astounded that he possessed the ability to have a hand on the pulse of technology enough to think about what it might feasibly contribute society. they're so excited to be ground floor for the newest technological advance to change society while fawning over his ability to imagine what the first floor might look like.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
:weedass:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol @ acting like such a captain obvious column is "the best kind of scifi" and comparing it to Jules Verne.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

...! posted:

submitted 6 hours ago by ianandris

So, just showerthinking over here, but imagine ladders with a crypto fee to enter where the winners actually walk away with money at the tourneys end instead of pride or ingame rewards.

The first big publisher to do this could spawn a legitimate industry. If you mom realized your gaming was paying rent, how much more likely would she be to let you play?

How much more would people improve with real money on the line? How many more games would they sell if people realized they could actually make a living off of playing?

Not to mention, if a game company did this, it would encourage its user base to adopt crypto which would set the entire industry on absolute fire.

Honestly, the whole concept could be probably accomplished with a DAO. Hell, I wonder if Bisq has an API functionality that would allow something like this. I’m imagining a GameSpy type service from the 90s that was needed since game companies didn’t realize how much money they could make by matchmaking natively.

imagine a world where you can get paid money for being good at video games.

truly, this guy is an unsurpassed visionary.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

i think you read that in the complete opposite way. i'm not comparing the column to the best scifi or jules verne. i'm saying that as a scifi author it's literally part of his genre to speculate on these things and so it's really just a matter of statistics that he got it like 60% right rather than any kind of special visionary foresight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
*Borat voice*
Mai waif!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lambert posted:

The IBM Simon was a PDA/phone that came out in 1994. And although it never got released as a commercial product, the DEC itsy already existed in 1999 and did most of the poo poo he's talking about, not counting the stuff that your current phone does only by talking to a server somewhere that does the actual work. It also had a touchscreen and multi-axis accelerometers, which everybody expects on a modern device and which aren't mentioned in the article. Really the only thing that took its sweet rear end time to become a reality is high-res colour displays.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thread I meed to admit something. As of late this thread and others like it (see sovcits etc) havent been as a fun because I am unable to shake the sense that in this reality anything that is deeply deeply deeply stupid is certain to happen.

Anyways :honked: and god bless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the stupid and the wicked will never receive what they deserve that is how our world is OH WAIT ROSS IS IN JAIL AND MARK IS INNOCENT

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lambert posted:

Also, I miss my sweet iPAQ! You could write pretty fast on that thing using the character recognition.

wince/windows mobile’s input thinger was legit :rip:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Bulgakov posted:

wince/windows mobile’s input thinger was legit :rip:

urmom said the same thing about me last night

goodnight everybody

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Weatherman posted:

urmom said the same thing about me last night

goodnight everybody

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
:duckie:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

:duckie::respek::honked:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

that failed artifact card game had a player run thing called the artifact bitcoin league, some guy with a bunch of bitcoin offered a monthly 2000 dollar reward and they had all these daily matches and ladders to win it

i guess the prospect of wining bitcoin didn't really attract people as much as they hoped and the mysterious benefactor vanished like last week. others involved tried to take donations to fund the prize pool but, in true bitcoiner fashion, though many said that they were willing to fund this when the time came all the donations were made by the guy running it and he gave up. many people cited dealing with bitcoin as a reason they didn't donate and when asked why he didn't do actual money he said it was so he could dodge the taxes

so someone already made this guy's idea a reality and it failed completely and utterly, in no small part because of bitcoin

"killer app"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

That got me thinking because what rational investor holds a declining asset and is happy about it because they will be able to buy more for cheaper prices? No one! Literally no one besides us. A rational investor would set a stop loss for say 10% and then reevaluate after the drop to see if he wants to buy back in.

... and as a result they can buy a lot more when it hits a low because they didn't ride the dip all the way to the bottom? wow you're so much smarter than those dummy normie investors

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:yaybutt: :gas:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
making a ladder that pays off is dumb because ladders routinely reward kinda-good players who play ladder obsessively over actually-good players who practice in literally any other way

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1131215266904387585
https://mobile.twitter.com/APompliano/status/1131249489367449603

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what is any of that supposed to mean

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i bet that guys never even used a github

or excel

or a computer

or a brain

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
technology is magic and artifactual scarcity is good, and you need to buy magic beans for moon

edit: :smugbird:

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 23, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Boxturret posted:

what is any of that supposed to mean
`I understand neither excel nor github, or anything anybody does with them'

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZBZPOEVyJA

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ben mezrich’s bitcoin book is out now:
http://www.benmezrich.com

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I live in an SQL database that stores an enormous tree.
Please, help me escape this digital hellscape.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I live in an SQL database that stores an enormous tree.
Please, help me escape this digital hellscape.

can you set the tree on fire op?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

in 2018 there was $233.4 billion printed. 75% of that was to replace bills lost during circulation, so 50% of that total would put the cash supply below the demand for it. that's the definition of scarcity.

bitcoin, by function, cannot ever be scarce. there is a fixed quantity of "coins", but they can split infinitely to meet any demand (except that of hoarding whole coins because of an irrational belief they will be necessary for future supply)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

in 2018 there was $233.4 billion printed. 75% of that was to replace bills lost during circulation, so 50% of that total would put the cash supply below the demand for it. that's the definition of scarcity.

bitcoin, by function, cannot ever be scarce. there is a fixed quantity of "coins", but they can split infinitely to meet any demand (except that of hoarding whole coins because of an irrational belief they will be necessary for future supply)

get out of here with your so called "math" and "numbers"; the tools of the devil aka spreadsheets

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

everyone is just afraid of triple entry accounting

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

everyone is just afraid of triple entry accounting

:eyepop:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/CasPiancey/status/1131348190324649984

hey the tether printer's back online!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

the tether printer??? welcome back old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

its so nice they can have the better part of a billion dollars stolen and still get the totally real but you can't meet them because they're shy rich investors to fund even more tethers, this is good for bitcoin because it shows tether is a solid responsible company that rich people trust with their money