Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Vehicles are being made and marketed to self-obsessed morons which includes almost all millenials and apparently your friends

Tell me more about how terrible millenials are, grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There's little actual difference between generations, generational identity is a lie. Millenials *in general* aren't wanting or buying cars because they can't goddamn afford them.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There's little actual difference between generations, generational identity is a lie. Millenials *in general* aren't wanting or buying cars because they can't goddamn afford them spend all their money on avocado toast.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

There's little actual difference between generations, generational identity is a lie. Millenials *in general* aren't wanting or buying cars because they can't goddamn afford them.

Well if they'd learn how to budget properly they'd be fine! I was able to buy my house for $30,000 after college which cost me $500 a year and they should be able to do the same!!!!

Nov 6, 2002

fknlo posted:

Well if they'd learn how to budget properly they'd be fine! I was able to buy my house for $30,000 after college which cost me $500 a year and they should be able to do the same!!!!

Don't need college either. Just get out there with their resume and pound the pavement like I did.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Remember when Toyota didn't license any of their performance cars for forza horizon 4 because they genuinely believed that millennials won't buy a 86 if they can drive a digital one and it "hurt their brand" because they no longer make all the cool cars usually featured in car games?

Mitsubishi did the same thing but I think that was a licensing issue as they got added for free later.

E: and Nissan making the datsun concept to appeal to younger buyers and then scrapping the plans to produce it stating "millennials don't buy cars"?

Yeah no poo poo millennials aren't into buying your ugly rear end SUVs and FWD poverty cars.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

millennials are broke because boomers rigged the system against them
millennials live in cities where cars are a $/time burden and more car-based things are available via services & apps today
millennials who want cars are already oddballs and want cool/weird/unpractical stuff
middle aged and boomer morons who got lucky on housing have liquid cash and spend it on tacky tasteless coupe suvs

also the boomers,

BraveUlysses posted:

they're not dying fast enough

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought Datsun was brought back for the Chinese and Indian markets as a el-cheapo brand

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While the GT86 had a soft manual take rate, the BRZ has a higher manual take rate than the Miata with 78%.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/21/subaru-brz-manual-transmission-take/

Subaru's highest manual take rate is the WRX with 90% of customers choosing stick.

The Forester manual take rate is only 3%.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

fknlo posted:

People don't want that. They want a sensory deprivation cell so they can focus on their cell phone. The less feedback the better.

What people actually want are chauffeurs. But you gotta be wealthy to have one of those full-time, so it's a tossup between Uber/Lyft, self-driving cars and cars with completely deadened steering feel and ride to get that fix.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
The Toyota Supra has been put on a dyno at Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn Heights, Michigan by Car and Driver.

Rated by Toyota: 335hp / 365tq
Dyno @ Wheel: 339hp / 427tq

Toyota sending a ringer or just severely underrating the engine?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Modus Man posted:

The Toyota Supra has been put on a dyno at Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn Heights, Michigan by Car and Driver.

Maybe toyota actually sent out hp at the wheel rather than the crank? Which would be pretty cool.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Modus Man posted:

I mean, those torque numbers are kind of crazy, but it's also been well known for a while that BMW's recent engines are underrated. The B58B30 being underrated wouldn't be a surprise at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dividing people into "generations" based on whatever a given journalist feels is nonsense and counterproductive.

Laserface posted:

Yeah no poo poo millennials aren't into buying your ugly rear end SUVs and FWD poverty cars.

Car ownership as a lifestyle just isn't nearly as much of A Thing as it used to be. To most people a car is just a tool, and they don't care about the specifics. If it does what they need and works reliably, little to no enthusiasm is needed.

And that's fine. Cars are an unfortunate and necessary evil for a lot of people. My life certainly became a lot less troubled when I sold my car, and I have so much more money left over at the end of the month. The concept of a car as a status symbol is so drat dumb, and the quicker we move past that, the better.

E: If I need to buy a car again sometime in the future, I'm probably going to get something relentless practical and economical, like a Citroën Berlingo or some other small minivan/hatchback type thing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

small minivan/hatchback type thing

I kinda wish they still sold the Mazda 5 here- so weird to see sliding doors on something so small; love it. Take out the seats and you might get drat close to fitting a motorcycle back there

Nov 6, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I kinda wish they still sold the Mazda 5 here- so weird to see sliding doors on something so small; love it. Take out the seats and you might get drat close to fitting a motorcycle back there

I wish they would put sliding doors on vehicles besides vans. Why wouldn't you want sliding doors on an SUV???

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I wish they would put sliding doors on vehicles besides vans. Why wouldn't you want sliding doors on an SUV???

Because then it'd just look like a minivan which defeats the whole purpose of pretending you don't really just need a minivan.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

I wish the Tesla Model X had sliding doors. They would be way more useful than the doors it has now. And then sliding doors would be "cool" and other companies would copy them.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I remember there was a 2door hatch made by Renault or Citroen that had sliding doors, top gear reviewed it when they had their moms on the show. It's a brilliant idea for a city car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Car ownership as a lifestyle just isn't nearly as much of A Thing as it used to be. To most people a car is just a tool, and they don't care about the specifics. If it does what they need and works reliably, little to no enthusiasm is needed.

And that's fine. Cars are an unfortunate and necessary evil for a lot of people. My life certainly became a lot less troubled when I sold my car, and I have so much more money left over at the end of the month. The concept of a car as a status symbol is so drat dumb, and the quicker we move past that, the better.

E: If I need to buy a car again sometime in the future, I'm probably going to get something relentless practical and economical, like a Citroën Berlingo or some other small minivan/hatchback type thing.

I've recently been dreaming about not having to own a car that would be awesome. But where I live and having a family it would be almost impossible. My wife lived in downtown Boston for years and never had a car, she could walk to work and to get whatever she needed, I would love that but it's not going to happen anywhere in Florida lol.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The Ford B-Max was also cool

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Modus Man posted:

They dyno'ed an M5, too, and it put it's engine rated 617hp to the wheels as well.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27437648/2019-bmw-m5-dyno-horsepower/

has to be ringer press cars.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don’t they underate the hp for insurance rates?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Don’t they underate the hp for insurance rates?

In the US? What insurance company is using HP to determine rates? Hint: none

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BMW has underrated their turbo engines ever since they first made them.

May be due to a bunch of things: Insurance rates in Europe, not counting overboost when determining peak HP, etc.

But its just a fact thatt they have ever since the first snail appeared in a BMW.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 22, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

They dyno'ed an M5, too, and it put it's engine rated 617hp to the wheels as well.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27437648/2019-bmw-m5-dyno-horsepower/

has to be ringer press cars.

Already mentioned, but BMW is known for this. VW seems to do it on the GTI at least as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KozmoNaut posted:

This is where I'm at in life now.

I'm drat near 40 now, and for the record I've purchased 10 or 11 brand new cars in my lifetime. I love cars, and I will always love cars, but I'm at the point where I just rather spend my money on other things now. Yeah, I can afford a new Jag, Mustang, or F30, or whatever, but I don't want to spend the money on one. I rather spend it on vacations, or home improvements, or other things. Spending all this money on what is ultimately a depreciating asset just isn't worth it anymore.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

You guys want sliding doors? Have some sliding doors.

Sadly I don’t remember what this thing was other than it being some weird French thing. Taken at the Lane Motor Museum.

Edit: Hobbycar Passport

david_a fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 22, 2019

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Automotive Insanity: "I've been dreaming of not having to own a car" :v:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Dividing people into "generations" based on whatever a given journalist feels is nonsense and counterproductive.

Same. I'm hoping to be able to live somewhere I don't need a car at all, and currently only drive a few miles a week because I walk to work and almost everything is close by. It's awesome. It also leaves room to buy something that is not practical whatsoever as a DD and only drive when you want to

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Cars are an unfortunate and necessary evil for a lot of people. My life certainly became a lot less troubled when I sold my car, and I have so much more money left over at the end of the month. The concept of a car as a status symbol is so drat dumb, and the quicker we move past that, the better.

My 2012 Leaf with a degraded battery is the very definition of an appliance and can do 95% of what I need in a daily driver - it'll fit a child seat, do the commute to work and back and let me go to the big cheaper supermarket rather than paying through the nose at the local one. It also costs bugger all to run if charged at home (because the battery is worn out paid fast charging isn't very economical). Pretty much the biggest limitation is the boot is an awkward shape and it effectively can't tow.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I currently have no car payment, which leads to my mind wandering toward BMW because wouldn’t a big straight six be nice, but it doesn’t wander far before realizing that spending so much money on a car is dumb as hell. I was thinking of waiting on the next gen Golf R that should arrive early next year, when I realized the price delta between a Golf and a Golf R is about the size of a nice Ducati.

At this point I’m more torn between keeping my truck forever and going and trading it for a Mazda.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I was also entertaining thoughts about upgrading my 2005 WRX to a Golf R in the next couple years when/if it gets the rumoured hybrid drive train. I think I'm over that now though, makes way more sense to just keep my WRX alive and use it for longer road trips or when I want to drive something that goes vroom vroom,. Then buy a used, degraded, electric car for errands requiring a car and commuting the 5km to work when I don't feel like cycling in.

Insuring two cars would suck as we don't get multiple car discounts here, though paying for two older cars that aren't worth carrying anything more than liability on probably comes out close to a brand new fancy pants modern car.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 22, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Add me to the list of millennials that doesn't see cars as a status symbol. I take the train to work and I just bought an old Volvo wagon to use as a beater/DD on the rare occasions where I need to drive to work. I have a fun car for the weekend, but that's my embarrassing secret I keep from others.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shocking admissions from closet pedestrians here

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

shocking admissions from closet pedestrians here

I'm more of a closet cyclist, if I didn't have a car I'd be riding my bike everywhere yelling at cars and pedestrians getting in my way :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cars are fun. As a project.

But as my daily driver? I just want something boring that works. I don't want to have to fiddle with stuff, or have to have a starting ritual, or anything.
Turn the key, or push the button or whatever, and off you go.

For my next car that I buy, it's either going to be electric or a least a hybrid.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Cars are fun. As a project.

But as my daily driver? I just want something boring that works. I don't want to have to fiddle with stuff, or have to have a starting ritual, or anything.
Turn the key, or push the button or whatever, and off you go.

For my next car that I buy, it's either going to be electric or a least a hybrid.

I've always felt like this about my DD, especially with my current job. Except now I'm leaning heavily towards replacing my GTI with an e9x M3 because I'm an incredibly smart person. Limping it to work because a throttle actuator died will be fun?!?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm disappointed in all of you. I'd DD that million dollar 300SL on BAT if I could afford it.

I haven't had a commute in 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

david_a posted:

You guys want sliding doors? Have some sliding doors.

Sadly I don’t remember what this thing was other than it being some weird French thing. Taken at the Lane Motor Museum.

Edit: Hobbycar Passport

I was just looking at this at the beginning of the month its even a manual!!