Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also if you stream you can keep the "Stream will start soon" in your video that lasts 15 minutes, this is so you can squeeze in more ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The same focus in shift from the game to the person playing the game also happened in speedrunning. Deeply annoying in both cases.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this test video I did for Thief Gold. If it's something you guys want, maybe I'll go through with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUTg8DHhRto

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Oheao posted:

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this test video I did for Thief Gold. If it's something you guys want, maybe I'll go through with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUTg8DHhRto

Looks good at first glance. Only issue I see is some subtitles disappearing way too quickly (even then, it looks like it's only really an issue at the beginning of the video) and that they blend in with parts of the HUD. A good rule of thumb I always saw about doing subtitled VLPs is to actually read out the subtitles when you add them (since people invariably speak a sentence slower than they can think it), then add another couple of seconds after that to get a feel for how long they should be on screen; it'll give you less time overall to say what you want, but it'll make sure people don't have to keep pausing the video to keep up with you. Also, put some sort of border around the text in a contrasting color (e.g. black borders around the white text) so that it doesn't blend in with anything in the video.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Also, try to keep your subtitles inside the title safe area, usually the inner 80% of the screen. Most editing programs will have an overlay you can toggle to check if you're inside that. It can be hard to follow lines that get to close to the edges or the bottom of the screen, and in Youtube's case the overlay can cover some of your text, which is kind of annoying if you brush the mouse or pause and restart.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
I had a hard time deciding where to put the subtitles, because if they're too far up they interfere with the action, while if they're too far down they get entangled with the UI. I don't know where the sweetspot would be.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why not put the subtitles at the top?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Because then they'd be surtitles :dadjoke:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen both LPs and movies where normally the subtitles are at the bottom, but if, in a game, an interface pops up in the bottom, or in the movie, there's something important in the bottom quarter of the screen, they move the subtitles to the top of the screen for a couple seconds. If you use this technique sparingly and don't go jumping back and forth all the time it won't be too annoying.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey friends. Here's my OP for my Pokemon Emerald LP. Please look it over. Many thanks, and thanks to the Pokegoon discord for betaing it. https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154126

Bogart fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 11, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bogart posted:

Hey friends. Here's my OP for my Pokemon Emerald LP. Please look it over. Many thanks, and thanks to the Pokegoon discord for betaing it. https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154126

I don't see any glaring problems. I look forward to reading it! I like the rebalance romhacks the most, personally.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Hi, I'm doing a companion LP for Hypnobeard's First World War LP.
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154136

I'm absolutely certain I still need to reduce most of the images so they don't need the timg tag, but am unsure what size, or if further cropping would be necessary/desired.
This is my first attempt at an lp, and any advice would be appreciated.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you want it on the archives, images can't be wider than 900px. If you just want to show it off in the forums you can go wider, up to whatever you imagine your users' displays can handle. 1024? 1280? Remember to leave some space for things like the OS window elements and the forums sidebars.

One thing that can help is cropping the images to only show the relevant part to the reader. Not only does it bring the image size down, it also helps direct the reader's attention. That said, some people find irregular screenshot sizes to be aesthetically displeasing. :shrug:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I've revised the post.
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154140

The screenshots look blurry, but now that I have a better idea of what dimensions I need I can take steps to mitigate that in the future.
Is the spacing fine? Does it read OK, or is it a bit cramped?

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Hey everyone,

Doing my first LP so wanted to see if what I have is any good. I have a few things going on during this month so I thought I would put this up a little early to get some feedback while I build up at least a minor buffer to allow continuous posting.

Anyway, rambling, so without further comment:

Sweet Dream Creatures are made of these: Let's Play Magi-Nation

What is this?
Magi-Nation was an attempt to get into the Mon craze of the 90s, standing against titles such as Pokémon, Digimon, Monster Rancher and the like. It was billed as a middle ground between the complexities of Magic: The Gathering and the Pokémon card game, for kids between the two franchises. Magi-Nation went through several sets, a game for the Gameboy Colour and eventually a Canadian animated show. The card game, Magi-Nation Duel, came out in 2000 and the Gameboy game in 2001. It lasted for a few years, but could not compete with the other franchises, with its final expansion being released in 2003. The TV show only lasted two seasons from 2007 – 2010. From there, it faded away, if I was trying to be ironic, I would say ‘like a dream’. While it ran it had middling popularity due to its anime style art, interesting storylines which change by tournament and refusal to take itself completely seriously, with some cards flavour text featuring lines from Monty Python skits to straight out in-character lunacy.

Okay, fine, but what is it about?
Magi-Nation is about the Dreamlands, which are made up of several elemental realms populated by Dream Creatures and Magi. Strange things have been happening in the Dreamlands, but this is unbeknownst to Tony Jones, a regular teenage who has just moved to Tavel Gorge, USA, Earth. His attempt at making new friends ends with him sent to the Dreamlands, with him being there to fulfil a prophecy once he finally works through some confusing interactions.

This sounds like something I have heard before…
Okay, fair, it is a tired old story in some cases. I believe that the writers do a good enough job putting a spin on some of the standard tropes to make it enjoyable and the mechanics are solid enough to make it an entertaining game.

So, it’s a good game?
Yes, but, is how I am going to awkwardly answer that. It got an 8/10 on a few sites when it was released, but it was rushed near the end (like so many other games). Unlike a lot of other rushed games, this is not too bad as all it resulted in was the difficulty jumps like a kangaroo on a pogo stick on a trampoline in some places and some dream creatures were forgotten.

Why are you doing this?
First and simplest reason, I want to try my hand at LPing and a simple Mon game with enjoyable characters, and most importantly, a protagonist with character, seems like a fun place to start. There is also the nostalgia value. Back when it first came out, my cousin and I played the card game and had a lot of fun. One of my earlier memories of the Gameboy game is getting it from the store and reading the manual outside Woolworths and drinking a Wendy’s Thickshake while my mother did groceries (which is gonna hit home for a few Australians in the audience).
I also want to see who else remembers it, and share some of the fun I had with it with people who have never heard of it.
Possibly the best reason, in my mind, is that it was a big part of my childhood and I want to at least make some record so that it is engraved in the face of somewhere. I owe the game that much.

How are you doing this?
This will be a SSLP, I am going to try and be as informative as possible, and I will also share some of the card art when we come across a Magi or Creature that was card-ified for the CCG because I still dig the art.
I will be trying to do a minimum of fortnightly updates, most likely on the weekends. I will hopefully do more, but I don’t want to burn myself out on what is my first foray into 'official' LPing.
As this is my first LP, please send through constructive criticism on how I can improve. I want to show people something I think is fun, and I don’t want to ruin it by doing my parts poorly.

Spoiler Policy
Please don’t spoil anything. The story has some good twists, which I would rather have come up at the time.

Contents
Chapter 1: Peer pressured to destiny! - Fixed image sizes and format.

How does it look?

Deadmans Tea Party fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 20, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Some of your screenshots seem to be different sizes. It's kinda distracting. Is there a specific reason for that, or is it just a mistake?

I suggest using a batch resize program (like Irfanview from over in the Tech Support Fort) for processing all of your screenshots at once and making sure they're the same size.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
I will try Infranview as that was the result of another batch resizing tool. I will give that a shot and re-upload. Cheers.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aw hell yes I loved Magi-Nation (both the CCG and GBC game) - will eagerly follow the thread once it's posted.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Deadmans Tea Party posted:

I will try Infranview as that was the result of another batch resizing tool. I will give that a shot and re-upload. Cheers.

Make sure they're also PNGs and not JPGs like they are in the current one. Keeps the filesize down and looks better to boot!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Make sure they're also PNGs and not JPGs like they are in the current one. Keeps the filesize down and looks better to boot!
Yeah, for a visually simple game like a GBC game, pngs are smaller than jpegs, despite their higher image quality, due to differences in the way the two compression formats work.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Okay, I have used .png and managed to get all of the images to the same size (never use the windows resizer add-on to do a batch resize), in future I will try and keep the formatting better from the get go. The link in the previous posted is now the updated link.

The main problem with it was I was removing the text boxes and scribing the dialogue because the way they did the dialogue bosses is messy, but this should not be a problem going forward.

Let me know if there is any other problems, otherwise I will post this over the weekend.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It has been a while and I am an idiot. Is there somewhere I can check what's new to the LParchive beyond the eight or so on the front page of it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Change the sort option from Name to Time. Also, the Retro Day option in the news post does that.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Speaking of the Archive, are the recommendation blurbs at the top of the front page suddenly blank for everyone else?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Minus Green posted:

Speaking of the Archive, are the recommendation blurbs at the top of the front page suddenly blank for everyone else?
Yes, and they weren't earlier. That is weird.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Minus Green posted:

Still showing up fine for me. If there was a problem it seems to be fixed now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Change the sort option from Name to Time.

Wowwwwwww, I don't think I've ever messed with that before, thank you!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, time for my next LP. I'm looking for the usual stuff - anything outrageously wrong or something like that? Something particularly dumb I did I should know? And so on.

Baseball, Zizek, Hentai and Twitter - Let's Play The Closer!

So, what's all this then?

This is The Closer: Game of the Year Edition (The Closer for short from now on), a RPG Maker game released by Redbird Menace in 2015. It is a game about the trials and tribulations of a young rookie pitcher that was made the closer of his team and loses Game 6 of the World Series. As a result, he has to go on an epic quest to remake himself as a pitcher before Game 7. Furthermore, Slavoj Zizek, a hentai game, Twitter, and secret societies are involved, amongst other things.

What?

Yeah. It gets kinda nuts. Also, if the mention of the word "hentai" has your alarm bells ringing, don't worry, this game is clean.

But I don't know anything about baseball!

Relax. I'll try to help you out. The first update - update zero, as it were - will be dedicated to me trying to explain the basics of baseball. Furthermore, I will take opportunities during the gameplay to explain further things that become relevant so you know what the game is talking about.

So, uh, what is this game, then?

Well, it's basically a JRPG type game, as RPG Maker games tend to be. However, the battle system has been somewhat revamped. Furthermore, the gameplay in this game isn't the focus. This game is made by somebody who mainly considers themselves a writer, so that is very much where the focus lies, and what makes this game great. Honestly, the easiest way to get a feel for how the game operates is to just read the first proper update.

Let's not gently caress about any longer, let's just get into the game!

Update 0 - Talkin' Baseball
Update 1 - Game Six

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Looks good to me. :justpost:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, the feedback from here and from the Discord has been positive, so the thread has gone live!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I don't usually browse this subforum, so I didn't know where to post this.

My sister is now streaming a new game of Fallout 4!

She is silent and weird, check her out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRKAxniQoA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I don't usually browse this subforum, so I didn't know where to post this.

My sister is now streaming a new game of Fallout 4!

She is silent and weird, check her out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRKAxniQoA

Nope, you want this thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655843

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Thank you.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've been going through some old LP threads from a lifetime ago and the Chaser Let's Play is dead. The viddler links don't work anymore and the alternate site (which seems to use embedded links from the dead blip.tv) no longer has them either.

Also I can't believe my Chronicles of Riddick LP from 13 years ago is there jfc.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GUI posted:

I've been going through some old LP threads from a lifetime ago and the Chaser Let's Play is dead. The viddler links don't work anymore and the alternate site (which seems to use embedded links from the dead blip.tv) no longer has them either.

Also I can't believe my Chronicles of Riddick LP from 13 years ago is there jfc.
If you're still wanting to view those, it appears like he uploaded them to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_a-4jYGX7w

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Someone in the Discord dug up an old thread called "I hated every LP I ever made." Which while neat, is also four years old and doesn't bear resurrecting.

But that's what I'm curious about. For the LPers that read this thread, what are you working on that you wish you'd have changed? And what are you working on technically now?

I've only got the one under my belt. And god, I wish I could re-record the audio for the first episode. It's so integral to the experience and I think a ton of people tuned out.

Right now I'm working on more game-focused commentary instead of just going batshit all over the place with it but also finding a good mix. It's rough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I ended up absolutely hating the System Shock 2 LP I started elsewhere and then brought over here and finished to the point I deleted all the footage both on my drives and online.
Everything about it was awful from the commentary to how I played it.

In hindsight a lot of the commentary I made for my Halo and HAWX LPs was pretty poo poo as well and a bunch that is really insensitive as well. Far too reactionary and far too much useless chaff. Also find something less copyrighted to cover up the lacklustre soundtrack.

If I ever do Halo 3 now that MCC for PC is a thing that exists I might just go with as little commentary as possible or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I used way too many emotes in my Angband LP. I confused use of emotes with being witty.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I cringe every time I think about what I did for the dungeons in my P5 LP, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not enough dick jokes

never enough dick jokes :negative: