Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

MFW they say GF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's a shame that the blacksmith hammer is so stubby because I kind of want to make an engineer class who just fights dudes with his repair hammer and a shield. I'm too used to longer weapons and kept constantly whiffing at the air and getting hit for it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They buffed hammers and they're still basically fist range

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Does anyone else have an issue where they get dropped from servers pretty often? I'm thinking my internet's being fucky with me but it gets real annoying when I want to yell and hit dudes and instead connection gets lost and then all I can do is yell. IDK maybe I need a port forwarded for Mordhau or something?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Imagine being given mordhau customization system and not looking like this bare minimum

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Larry Parrish posted:

They buffed hammers and they're still basically fist range

At least they're long enough now to hit those piles of lumber on the ground without having to crouch first.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Am I crazy or is freaking everyone using zweihanders now, even more so than the first few days of launch?

Its all zweihanders, greatswords, mauls/executioners and the occasional halberd and NOTHING else. Well, the rest are a rounding error.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Yup that's pretty much Frontline at this point. Long high damage weapons and Bloodlust.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Same experience here, though there are still a bunch of spears. I'd say about 70% of players are high armor melee, I don't see too much in the way of bloodlust. 15% are spearmen, and the remaining 15% are archers and builders (but mostly archers).

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The meta is definitely "pick a high damage 2 hander and just wade in spamming" because honestly there's little disincentive. The cleave through mechanic is really stupid in that it causes mid to large size battles to just devolve into spamfests.

That being said, having a shield against these types of players can be really effective if you have teammates that will work with you. One or two competent shield guys in a group can just totally shut down a bunch of spammers but only if their teammates will follow up with attacks.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I don't get why people have such a problem with people using the easiest tactics available in Frontlines. The game mode is already chaos incarnate, just revel in the bloodshed start chopping people up.

Chivalry was more or less the same before people figured out how to abuse hitboxes.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pom posted:

I don't get why people have such a problem with people using the easiest tactics available in Frontlines.

Because there is a balance to be struck between mindless fun and tactics. People will have varying opinions on where the sweet spot is but few people just want an endless, thoughtless meat grinder. It gets old pretty fast.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Because I am getting tired of being stabbed in the back by my team in every single encounter. Also, it is boring if everyone fights the same way.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I feel like hitting teammates is way more forgiving in this game than Chiv? Which leads to everyone just spamming horizontal swing with zweihanders, since you're not going to get kicked for killing 3 teammates for every 1 enemy you kill.

Also dodge is ridiculously good

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

They should just remove the friendly peek because it's a nearly free way to opt out of friendly fire on either side. Why? Why even have ff in that case.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Faffel posted:

They should just remove the friendly peek because it's a nearly free way to opt out of friendly fire on either side. Why? Why even have ff in that case.

This. Or make it like a 6 point perk so you can't have it with Zweihanders and poo poo. This would improve the quality of play dramatically especially if they increase the amount of points you lose for FF.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Faffel posted:

Nah, just change Friendly so instead you do half damage to teammates and enemies, because you're just so gosh-darn friendly :buddy:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A high damage two hander just minimizes the amount of correct guesses you need to kill somebody, its always going to be more efficient and useful than the lower damage single hand weapons, either in duels or team scenarios or being outnumbered.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

A high damage two hander just minimizes the amount of correct guesses you need to kill somebody, its always going to be more efficient and useful than the lower damage single hand weapons, either in duels or team scenarios or being outnumbered.

This contributes but it's not the sole reason executioner greatsword and zweihander are the most common weapons in Frontline. It's the ability to hit/kill multiple enemies with one click without having to worry about hitting your teammates. If they removed friendly or made the cleave either non-existent or do less damage with each successive hit, we'd see far more weapon variety than we do now. If pure damage were the only factor, everyone would use a maul.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The players with the most impact in frontline were maul users I've found. The ability to just single handedly delete gangs of enemies single file and take the point instead of being tied down in a series of protracted individual combats is pretty big.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Midgetskydiver posted:

This contributes but it's not the sole reason executioner greatsword and zweihander are the most common weapons in Frontline. It's the ability to hit/kill multiple enemies with one click without having to worry about hitting your teammates. If they removed friendly or made the cleave either non-existent or do less damage with each successive hit, we'd see far more weapon variety than we do now. If pure damage were the only factor, everyone would use a maul.

Yeah, the main problem I see is that they haven't improved on the Chiv cleave thing where hitting multiple people doesn't lower damage per hit

It's pretty stupid that you can swing a zwei through multiple teammates and still one-hit kill an enemy with no armor at the end of the swing. Which was a thing I assumed Mordhau would try to model given they wanted to do away with Chiv's spinning reverse overhead meta

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can't swing through teammates unless your attack happens to kill them.
Otherwise even edged weapons stop like they hit an impassable object.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm absolutely enjoying the evening star far more than the zwei. Even without a proper swing through mechanic, it just wrecks people. And it does swing through when you kill people. If you read the battle lines a bit and move around behind the fight it's not uncommon to kill two or three people in a swing.

I still haven't really found a use for the alt grip except for fighting indoors or inside the fort on tiaga. I've heard of people switching the grip in the middle of a fight, but I haven't really messed with that.

It still has all of the oh gently caress moments that the maul does when you feint someone, but it's not nearly as lovely as the maul.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can't swing through teammates unless your attack happens to kill them.
Otherwise even edged weapons stop like they hit an impassable object.

Let's be fair here, most teammates are actually worse than impassable objects so it would kind of make sense.

Anyway yeah, edged weapons will happily cut through many enemies at once, but if one teammate jumps in front of you and eats a 65 damage overhead the swing will stop unless you straight up team kill him. And it kind of sucks but I can see why they did it this way, frontline is already a spam fest.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Haven't got enough cosmetics to make it more accurate, but I'm surprised I haven't seen this done already:

No armor, no weapons, Brawler, Bloodlust, Dodge and a handful of other perks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zotix posted:

I'm absolutely enjoying the evening star far more than the zwei. Even without a proper swing through mechanic, it just wrecks people. And it does swing through when you kill people. If you read the battle lines a bit and move around behind the fight it's not uncommon to kill two or three people in a swing.

I still haven't really found a use for the alt grip except for fighting indoors or inside the fort on tiaga. I've heard of people switching the grip in the middle of a fight, but I haven't really messed with that.

It still has all of the oh gently caress moments that the maul does when you feint someone, but it's not nearly as lovely as the maul.
Evening star Alt grip bumps the thrust damage to "Nobody expects a blunt weapon to thrust for 50 damage vs plate" :getin: Abuse the gently caress out of the fact most people who scream over "Thrust spam" never seem to pay attention to high thrust damage on weapons that swing good.

Though yeah, the fact it has actual reach by default is a huge loving deal. For as much as I love the Maul, "Actual reach" is a godsend.

EDIT: Oh, it also nudges the stamina drain on the thrust up to 21, that's nice.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 22, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Section Z posted:

Evening star Alt grip bumps the thrust damage to "Nobody expects a blunt weapon to thrust for 50 damage vs plate" :getin:

Though yeah, the fact it has actual reach by default is a huge loving deal. For as much as I love the Maul, "Actual reach" is a huge loving deal.

Also alt-mode makes it a bit slower for those more damaging stabs but quicker for swings without losing much damage, which is pretty big. People are expecting slow big damage strikes and quick low damage thrusts, when you suddenly (sort of) reverse that they get crazy and miss parries all the time

again, that is mostly in dueling or 1vs1 situations, in frontline big brawls you barely have time to react to stuff and those little mind games are no use

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Midgetskydiver posted:

This. Or make it like a 6 point perk so you can't have it with Zweihanders and poo poo. This would improve the quality of play dramatically especially if they increase the amount of points you lose for FF.

That's an even better idea, just make it unattainable for the gigantic weapons like that.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I am completely unable to use any other build after I made my bloodlust scavenger, it’s just too much fun.

How to:
3/3/x
Arming Sword
Bloodlust
(Friendly)
(Tenacious)
(Fireproof)

Arming sword is an incredible weapon for 2 points. The stabs are lightning quick and very damaging. Easily good enough to win any duel you run into, it just struggles against crowds.

Thus your first objective is to pick up a bigger weapon as soon as possible. You’ll almost always find a longsword or better before you hit the frontlines. Very often you’ll find a spear, zwei or halberd. Running around with a loadout essentially worth 26+ points is great. You get to play with lots of different weapons too.

Bloodlust is not strictly necessary, so you could probably get even better results by taking more useful perks or consumables instead. But it’s just so loving fun.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

3/3/3, 3 smoke bombs & Brawler is surprisingly fun. Throw a smokebomb into a 1v4 and watch as the 4 cleave each other apart blindly swinging for the killstrike! Circle around the back and rabbit punch the survivors to death! Blind that useless archer on your team and convince them to contribute to the battle in more direct ways! Lure enemies into your teammates with your naked fists, and then pop them for 25 damage while they're winding up!

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Wait you guys can still play? I, and everyone I know, have been getting ridiculous packet loss since the last patch. Makes the game pretty much unplayable, and also seems to have turned it into a field day for 3/3/3 Executioner people. Just a human wave of guys walking forward, windmilling their big choppy swords, safe in the knowledge they're impossible to parry in such a herky-jerky environment.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
what are your good rear end peasant loadouts? last night i just went with the 2h scythe and rock/frying pan + a random perks i can't remember r/n and ended up braining more people with the frying pan than i expected in frontline

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Disgusting Coward posted:

Wait you guys can still play? I, and everyone I know, have been getting ridiculous packet loss since the last patch. Makes the game pretty much unplayable, and also seems to have turned it into a field day for 3/3/3 Executioner people. Just a human wave of guys walking forward, windmilling their big choppy swords, safe in the knowledge they're impossible to parry in such a herky-jerky environment.

These guys would get absolutely wrecked by a half-competent team with spears or halberds. Executioner swords can't combo, so once they swing and miss once, you can stab the hell out of them with longer range weapons while backpedaling.

Of course if you're the only one able to coordinate and the rest of your teammates care more about playing the lute or going off to fight someone else out of the way, or try and gank archers (getting ganked themselves because they can't fight against quick small weapons) instead of staying in formation, eeeh :shrug:

I really, REALLY want a group of people to play togheter with, I have this nagging feeling that a PROPER frontline match with teams that know what they're doing or at least try would be totally awesome, but we'll never know because pubbies ruin everything

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The threat of braindead 2h swing spammers in Frontline is way overstated. At best they feed off of the worst players while being middle of the pack against others doing the same thing. They are not the people you see topping the scoreboards.

If you're really struggling in the chaos, take a break and try some duel servers or even just small free for all deathmatch. It's difficult to learn how to confidently dismantle people in a full size Frontline server. When you do get to that level though, you're going to look back and wonder why you were ever concerned about those kinds of players in the first place.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I really, REALLY want a group of people to play togheter with, I have this nagging feeling that a PROPER frontline match with teams that know what they're doing or at least try would be totally awesome, but we'll never know because pubbies ruin everything

I think that would be fun to see/participate in. We need to get some of the old CRPG leadership back together so I can relive the days of my internet knight youth and get yelled at for being bad and doing dumb things.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Parachute posted:

what are your good rear end peasant loadouts? last night i just went with the 2h scythe and rock/frying pan + a random perks i can't remember r/n and ended up braining more people with the frying pan than i expected in frontline

I've tried a few different things on the peasant. The best two I came around on are either the scythe and 3 points for rocks or traps or friendly or something like that, or the pan or blacksmith hammer, dodge, and two leftover points. Scythe will do massive damage to anyone who is unarmored and has solid but not great reach, and can sometimes throw people off and hit around shields. Blacksmith hammer or pan are better against armor - 30 damage per body hit, so not outstanding but not the pitiful 10 damage of the scythe. Relies heavily on dodge to avoid incoming swings with the short range, though.

Personally I always like to spend my leftover peasant points on rocks, always funny to pelt fools with rocks.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Parachute posted:

Blacksmith hammer is really underrated. Swings fast, damage is decent, and being able to build/repair barricades is an easy way to climb the scoreboard all for....2 points, IIRC?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly 4 or 5 players who are even just decent with shield and shortspear can conquer frontlines vs. executioner swinging idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
sounds like scythe + blacksmith hammer/frying pan is the way to go, thanks for the tips yall.

also, last night i went lute crazy after being inspired by that sad guy in here yesterday and went triple lute loadout and made sure my 2nd one was set to alt fire (don't want to mess up my good lute) to vanquish the dishonorable scrubs who try to cut me down in battle. i really need to grind my way to whatever level i need to use the awesome minstrel hat.