Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This huge empty areas are probably (hopefully) where the DLC happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Speaking of areas I think this has my favorite post-apocalypse world design in terms of biomes and their style.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Bust Rodd posted:

This huge empty areas are probably (hopefully) where the DLC happens

Hopefully! I’d like them to expand the map too, but not sure how likely that is.

Anyone noticed if you look East from Vineland you can see the Dead City from Rage 1 on the horizon, across the flats?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think this is the best FPS combat engine in gaming today, but one thing I find unforgivable is the design of the towns.

Look I understand post-apocalypse means a lot of things to a lot of people... but the slapdash “everything is held together with tape and string”//“scrap metal welded onto every surface” is literally just bad and lazy design.

There are trees, there’s lumber and stone, you clearly have tools and masons and engineers and mechanics. I just don’t understand why some of these places can’t just look a little more realistic, more lived in. Every Post-Poc human settlement wouldn’t just look like a pile a garbage glued together, people would eventually start to take pride in their environment and work and clean up.

I know we keep saying this game feels like it’s from the last decade but that is something I’d like to see improved across the board for all Post-Poc games. Stop being lazy with your world design, piles of garbage aren’t interesting places to explore.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I wouldn't be sad at all if mAsSiVe OpEn WoRlD!!!1 died with this generation

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I do kinda wonder if the devs saw the reaction to Far Cry 5 shoving it's horrible plot down your throat when you'd rather be doing open world stuff and over-corrected in the opposite direction. Though Rage 2's incredibly sparse and cliched writing is still miles better than anything in FC5.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

FC5's entire story can die in a loving fire.

Aside from the awful throat-shoving poo poo it pulls, the entire ending is just like "well, literally everything you've done is pointless because Plot. All those people you've saved? They got recaptured because Plot demanded an ironic end fight where you fight your friends. All the good work you did, rebuilding communities? they got nuked because someone wanted a Plot Twist at the end. gently caress you. :argh:

Oh and the dumb twist where you kill the rebel leader or whatever was telegraphed so hard but you couldn't not do it. You had to just blindly follow the dumb sequence.

I'll take any amount of cliche over that dumpster fire.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bust Rodd posted:

I think this is the best FPS combat engine in gaming today, but one thing I find unforgivable is the design of the towns.

Look I understand post-apocalypse means a lot of things to a lot of people... but the slapdash “everything is held together with tape and string”//“scrap metal welded onto every surface” is literally just bad and lazy design.

There are trees, there’s lumber and stone, you clearly have tools and masons and engineers and mechanics. I just don’t understand why some of these places can’t just look a little more realistic, more lived in. Every Post-Poc human settlement wouldn’t just look like a pile a garbage glued together, people would eventually start to take pride in their environment and work and clean up.

I know we keep saying this game feels like it’s from the last decade but that is something I’d like to see improved across the board for all Post-Poc games. Stop being lazy with your world design, piles of garbage aren’t interesting places to explore.

To be fair all the plants and trees are still kind of new to everyone, Rage 1 is the reason why absolutely everything isn’t pure desert and badlands and that was only 30 years ago

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AirRaid posted:

FC5's entire story can die in a loving fire.\

I mean, that's what actually happens.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Rage 2 makes FC5 look like a masterpiece. This game has probably the worst, most cringe inducing plot, dialogue, characters, and general presentation of any game I've played. The combat is fun but everything surrounding it is so deeply loving stupid I'm not sure I'm prepared to risk the long term brain rot.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

??? Nothing in this game is even close to as offensive as anythingin farcry new dawn

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

At least they were trying to do something new and not cliched.

The closest analogue for R2 I can think of is Destiny 2, which didn't have the benefit of interesting combat to carry you through its stupid loving story and dialogue.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Rage 2 makes FC5 look like a masterpiece. This game has probably the worst, most cringe inducing plot, dialogue, characters, and general presentation of any game I've played. The combat is fun but everything surrounding it is so deeply loving stupid I'm not sure I'm prepared to risk the long term brain rot.

I dunno, man, a plot about a generic techno-fascist bad guy trying to take over the world and FPS Hero #4009 setting out to stop him with big dumb guns is a lot less offensive to me than a game that ends with my character handcuffed to a bedframe about to be raped forever by the author's self-insert.

Edit: If you think "the bad guy wins" is new and not cliche then boy do I have good news for you about the rest of the Far Cry franchise!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

HORMELCHILI posted:

??? Nothing in this game is even close to as offensive as anythingin farcry new dawn

*main character listens to final holograph recording of his somberly spoken adopted mother, who was just executed in front of him, telling him she believes in him, and of the perilous journey ahead, and good luck*

The main character then literally happily bellows out into the open air "WELP THANKS GHOST MOM" in the most coolbro a-hyuck sounding way the actor could possibly conjure.

That kind of tone deafness is almost impressive.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

AirRaid posted:

I can see what you’re saying there. And there are some unique places and bits to the map to find (At some point you learn the location of a place called “Secret Bunker”, which is quite good) but there’s not as much as there could be and some of the stuff that is there is really badly under utilised.

E: also speaking as someone who has pretty much 100%ed the game (I’m sure there’s a couple of things eluding me but there’s no real counter or metric to go by for this), there are huge chunks of the map with literally nothing in them. No POIs, no enemy encounters. Just empty bits.

This is exactly where Red Dead Redemption 2 excelled, imo. Apart from a pretty good, pretty long and well executed story, there was so much to do in the open world, and I never get tired of doing one thing a couple of times because I would wander about one hand-crafted scene or mission after another, while doing the obviously "random open world stuff". Similar to how Witcher 3 worked, where you would stumble into a two or three hour side mission with awesome storytelling etc.

Problem - of course - is that these games take a shitload of money to make in that quality, which of course would have never been granted for the Rage 2 franchise.

I still really like this game, but once I am through with the main story, I don't think I'll load it up again. Which is fine, but happens to me with many open world games (exceptions given in this post and posts before), and not so often with well made non-open-world games.

Then again, I don't wanna derail this thread in regard to what defines a good open world game. I still really like Rage 2, just think I won't play it a second time because the story really hurts, and the open world is pretty generic. Maybe I'll change my opinion when I explore more.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I still think this game would be improved by a factor of 100 if you could fast-travel to every single POI that's been revealed on the map without having been there first. And then, every time you visit a new place, just auto-reveal any other POI's close by to keep the game fresh and to make you feel like you're still "discovering" places as the game goes on.

This way you could always be right in the action with as little down time as you wanted. Hell I bet that kind of fast-travel would even make driving fun again because you'd only do it when you wanted.

Also, on another note, whoever decided to make players hit the action button to pick up items, in a game without inventory management choice, shouldn't be allowed to work on action games. Yes, there are inventory limits, but you never have to make a decision about what you want to carry because the game has already made that decision for you by limiting your inventory on a per-item basis. Being maxed out on bullets in your inventory has no bearing on how much scrap you can carry, etc. This means that the player is always going to want to carry everything he can, which means he's always going to want to pickup every item he touches. So, the "pickup" button is entirely useless at best and frustrating at worst because it's a mechanic that can only ever hurt the player.

Yes that mechanic might look cool in a trailer or something because you get a shot of the player getting up close to an object, looking at it, then deciding to pick it up while staring at it, indicating that a decision has been made. What this effectively turns into in the game is the player lapping around a room multiple times as fast as he can, irritated, staring at the floor, mashing the pickup button over and over knowing he's wasting his loving time while there are cool bad guys to blow up somewhere else.

The designer that implemented it, or the executive that doesn't play games who made a designer implement it, has an appalling lack of understanding of rhythm and flow of fast paced video games and player agency with regards to systems, and has no business being involved in making them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 22, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s just frustrating because the story just has literally no depth.

There’s a guy, he’s hard to kill. You’re the most killinest lady, go kill him!

It’s frustrating to me that someone got to cash a paycheck for RAGE2’s script.

FC5 has characters I generally enjoyed (not just the pig). I hated the meme-y characters but not all of them were memes. RAGE 2 has

An old man
A lady
A robot old man

and your sister who just like stops talking to you after the first mission.

Also Vinewater never changes as the game progresses. This is something FC5 does so well and RAGE 2 would’ve been way better if they’d cribbed the base reconstruction mechanic wholesale.

I feel absolutely no connection to the place I’m trying to rebuild, that’s bad design

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rage 2 does not have good writing. My point, I guess, is just that barely there half-mumbled cliches are less egregious to me than cynical, abhorrent screeds that the game drags me into every 15 minutes. I'm less surprised that people think Rage 2's story is bad (it is) and more surprised that people think there's decent writing in Far Cry (there isn't).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crowetron posted:

Rage 2 does not have good writing. My point, I guess, is just that barely there half-mumbled cliches are less egregious to me than cynical, abhorrent screeds that the game drags me into every 15 minutes. I'm less surprised that people think Rage 2's story is bad (it is) and more surprised that people think there's decent writing in Far Cry (there isn't).

It could be backlash from being so similar and dealing with it so much in Far Cry that you get phantom cringe in RAGE 2, even if the latter is just 80s cliches.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GreatGreen posted:

*main character listens to final holograph recording of his somberly spoken adopted mother, who was just executed in front of him, telling him she believes in him, and of the perilous journey ahead, and good luck*

The main character then literally happily bellows out into the open air "WELP THANKS GHOST MOM" in the most coolbro a-hyuck sounding way the actor could possibly conjure.

That kind of tone deafness is almost impressive.

That sounds like it owns tho??

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rage 2's story is generic and boring.

Far Cry 5's story is actively terrible and repeatedly intrudes to gently caress up the gameplay.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Crabtree posted:

It could be backlash from being so similar and dealing with it so much in Far Cry that you get phantom cringe in RAGE 2, even if the latter is just 80s cliches.

That hadn't occured to me, but I could see that. I remember there was a period after I first played through Borderlands 2 where I involuntarily cringed every time a game tried to make a joke.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My experience of Far Cry 5 was exclusively New Dawn, which is really the game to compare to RAGE 2, and the storyline in FC:ND is actually good.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I haven't played a far cry since Blood Dragon which may have helped me enjoy Rage 2 because I honestly wanted an open world shooter but I cannot stand how shooting feels in those games. Rage 2 is no DOOM but it's miles ahead of boring, stiff far cry poo poo.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
all of avalanche's games are like this though. the plot sucks and sometimes they stumble on really fun game mechanics.

i dunno why anyone is taking the plot seriously because the game really doesn't seem to. it's a goofy post-apoc 80's pastiche filtered through swedish nerds.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

This game's combat shines in the high level wave defense missions. It's a shame there aren't many of them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s fair to criticize an exclusively single-player game for having a lovely campaign

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And insufferable driving. Next time I hope they find someone that knows how to program fun cars.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Man I think I'm the only one who really likes the driving in this and mad max, more than just about any game. Side slamming, boosting, and frequent power slides are all designed to A keep you on the road and B are also offensive/defensive attacks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I dug the driving in Mad Max and find Rage 2's driving to be surprisingly stiff. Then again, I haven't really experimented with other cars since you can only upgrade the Phoenix for some weird reason.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

and your sister who just like stops talking to you after the first mission.

HEY LILY I’M EYEBALLIN’ A REAL SKETCHY LOOKIN PLACE

YEAH THINGS AINT “VINELAND SAFE” NO MORE. GO IN PREPARED WALKER.

Multiplied by however many points of interest there are on the map.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think the driving is ok. I just don't like how much there is of it. I spent so long yesterday just hunting arks so I could finally get a new weapon and having to drive everywhere was insufferable. It just feels like filler. The fact that I have to grind levels for the 3 story guys in order to progress the so called "story" also makes this feel like some bizarre single player MMO

I don't hate the game but it is really flawed imo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Question: in the english/original version of the game, is the female protagonist also voiced by the same lady that voiced bart simpson? Because in the german dub, it's the same lady that voiced the german bart and lisa simpson, and it's pretty hilarous, and makes the absolutely trashy script a bit more bearable, because I feel like I'm Bart Simpson, killing stuff.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

tuo posted:

Question: in the english/original version of the game, is the female protagonist also voiced by the same lady that voiced bart simpson? Because in the german dub, it's the same lady that voiced the german bart and lisa simpson, and it's pretty hilarous, and makes the absolutely trashy script a bit more bearable, because I feel like I'm Bart Simpson, killing stuff.

The Simpsons voice actors are the richest and best paid VAs in the world so Rage 2 was a natural fit for them

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I kept waiting for Vineland to be repaired near the end of the campaign and for it to become a quick travel point and it never happened. Can't say I was surprised since the main campaign felt like the prologue to another game, just like this feels like a sequel to a game that should've come out after the first Rage but doesn't exist.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I found the driving to be much better once I turned off the auto centering camera.

I think a problem I find with the story is that it conflicts what the rest of the game and the pastiche it seems to be going for. It completely takes itself seriously in a game that really doesn't want you to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just bum-rushed Icarus and never touched a car again.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I don’t mind the driving, but Icarus is the ideal way to get around.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So is the game just generally fairly easy or am I still early into it? Playing on hard and tearing through everything. Not that I mind just curious

Where can I find the arcs for the barrier/vortex/rush powers?

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Crowetron posted:

I dug the driving in Mad Max and find Rage 2's driving to be surprisingly stiff. Then again, I haven't really experimented with other cars since you can only upgrade the Phoenix for some weird reason.
"Stiff" is a good way to put it. The vehicles handle pretty much exactly like a multi-ton post-apocalyptic junker on a dirt road probably would, namely like rear end. It's like trying to steer a hippo down a slip'n'slide at fifty miles per hour: works just fine on the straights, but God help you if you ever need to take a curve. It's pretty playable once you get used to how heavy everything feels, but it's still not really very fun.

Then again, after six hours of playing this game now, I think most of it really isn't. It feels a lot like I'm playing Borderlands 2 again, but just... less, I suppose is the way I'd put it. It was fine for the first four hours or so, but at this point, I kind of feel like I have already seen pretty much everything that the game has to offer. I have collected most of the Arc gear by now and while the game world is decently big, I don't get the impression that there's anything particularly unique or interesting to find aside from that. There is very little variety to the gameplay so far and short of spending a dozen hours grinding for marginal (and mostly pretty boring) improvements to things that I already have, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reason left to really go anywhere, except for maybe the story missions - and really, the less said of those, the better.

A lot of games manage to get by on not a whole lot more than that and the whole "go place, kill thing, get stuff" gameplay loop can be plenty fun when done well, but I don't think "float in the air for an extra second" as your reward for an hour of grinding is really enough to carry it.

Jose posted:

So is the game just generally fairly easy or am I still early into it? Playing on hard and tearing through everything. Not that I mind just curious
It's really just generally easy. I haven't died once yet.